Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So uh, this is a video game channel but I think this thread would like this video. It's about how the KOTOR games first embody and then deconstruct the monomyth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2iOB8ydGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

who's dick does he get?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think Snokes are like dogs and just sort of do things arbitrarily.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Snoke tries to destroy the Jedi and Palpatine tries to destroy the Jedi. Palpatine was just into politics while Snoke was more into disco.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think people confusedly assumed 'the light side' was a thing and that balance meant both the Jedi and the Sith had equal numbers or influence because of how obviously similar the Force is to the Dao.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a Daoist but I'm almost certain that that's not how the Dao works.

Sure it is, you have the yang gang so clearly there must be a yin gang to act as their opposite.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Martman posted:

They ride horses now?

They shoot horses don't they now?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

David Lynch came up with the concept of Jar Jar Binks.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We-sa lives in a dreams, Annie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gareth Edwards isn't a bad director by any means but they should have gotten Gareth Evans instead and let him have carte blanche.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

She’s a great actor and kids like Rey. Whenever I go through Disney I see kids dressed as her.

kids are so loving stupid. it should be illegal to make media for them

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My ranking:

Star Wars 2
Super Star Wars
Shin Star Wars
Star Wars
The Star Wars
Star Wars (2014)
Star Wars: Revelations
Rise of Skywalker

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No wonder they wanted the directors of "The Battle of Winterfell" on the job.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Speaking of 2010's movie clichés, it's pretty astonishing that the new corporate Star Wars was able to resist doing the hacky "blue beam shoots into the sky" thing for so long, but also feels somehow appropriate that Rise of Skywalker was the movie where it finally happened.

predictive programming for project blue beam :tinfoil:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All ogre it is

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

im so glad they're making a prequel limited series to the prequel movie that served as a bridge between the other prequels and the original.

e: who watched "rogue one" and came out of it saying "wow what rich and memorable characters, i wish i got to spend more time with them"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they should remake come and see but the little boy is a young version of dengar, the bounty hunter

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I, too, am disappointed that WW3 hasn't happened yet

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

frasier but in star wars

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they went to hoth in the rian johnson movie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

metacommentary is lame, no one wants that

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

that would have been stupid. like, what, is his arm fitted with a lightspeed engine? it would take literally millions of years to float to another planet from bespin.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

have him be a force user good with a lightsaber but when people ask if he's a jedi now he says no, then looks in the camera and clarifies that he's still able to get laid unlike those guys

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Seems pretty cut and dry to me

Palpatine doing wizard hands at her womb always makes me laugh

so powerful that he can completely avoid touching puss, what a hero

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

It's the Jar Jar comic and his dad wanting to kill himself but instead all about Greedo.

neat

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The hero characters were a little janky and took away from the battlefield feeling, yea, but you could turn them off? Or maybe not, haven't played Battlefront in years.

Realheads remember the Star Wars mod for BF1942 before Battlefront was even a thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

o god luke's face

C'mon man he was in a motorcycle accident

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the sequels will continue until morale improves

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

on a scale of 1 to 10 how excited are ya'll

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Star Wars is for children

are children nowadays into star wars? i think i only ever see fat middle aged men into it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

YaketySass posted:

The lesson is: when doing a sequel, always listen to the fans' complaints.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Listen to them too much and you get the ST, though

I think Bill Hader had it right, listen to people when they say something's wrong but don't listen to their solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHZSNw9J2o

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's the back story to Lady Snowblood. Her mother concieves her solely for to her to grow up and get revenge.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

he played jabba

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should let him do one of the Disney shows

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Good news for the Sequel Trilogy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if you're light side your reward is to be a space cop who never fucks

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0SmgoSMg4

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This led to one of the subtler failings of The Last Jedi, where they suddenly dropped in a whole lot of baffling nonsense about starship mechanics: fuel levels, cloaking devices, how radar systems work, hyperspace ramming, etc.

It was Johnson trying to be too clever by half by going back to the wellspring of WW2 naval films again. But he only understands them as storytelling tropes and not necessarily as iconography.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does Cinema Discusso care so much about Star Wars anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why, though?