Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
TLJ wasn't as bad upon second viewing but the people who defend it this way are just doing the old Brittany Spears is a great musician because look at how many records she sold routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Darko posted:

It's not about the politics in the movie itself, it's that society is at one of its cyclical boiling points now in the West that people are diametrically opposed on. Movie review and opinions are more based on bad faith arguments based on those "sides" than the movies themselves in a lot of cases. A lot of movie arguments now are almost entirely based on identity politics.

I was very disappointed coming out of the theater and I promise you it had nothing to do with identity politics and everything to do with the whole movie seeming like the creators didn't have any respect for the characters or the universe Lucas had created.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel Rose is a good character in an unintentional way, insofar as her pablum perfectly reflects the essential hollowness of the resistance in the context of the films and disney wars in the context of reality

the resistance is inherently contradictory in that anyone that hopelessly liberal would just be posting about it, not fighting

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The biggest problem with the ST is that Abrams and Johnson and everyone else involved at that level is a basic bitch, like the type of people who would wonder why LOTR included an appendix when it's already so long.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

YaketySass posted:

The politics seems to be a weird mix of democracy and aristocracy, the details of how that works never being explained.

This thread is about Star Wars

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

In TLJ he actually has a more clearly defined character arc than Rey. Unfortunately, said well-defined arc is tedious and unsatisfying.

PTSD former stormtrooper on a mission to save a loved one and the galaxy upon arriving: WOW CRAPS TABLES

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I almost love that this unnecessary, meandering sideplot just ends with them being betrayed and their mission being irrelevant but it doesn’t even matter since Holdo saves them by ramming the ship

Which is something autopilot could have done at any time

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
hello, non-cspammers. meet preston waters

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Do we all agree that Holdo was only created so a character named Ackbar wouldn't be the suicide bomber?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Anakin should have started training at like 18. That would have lined up with Yoda's fear about Luke and also added some plausibility to him turning, oh and also allowed him and Obi Wan to have a better friend/master relationship.

I'm still mad they made the Jedi into flawed bureaucrats though so w/e.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

KaptainKrunk posted:

jedi are an analogue for contemporary (late 90s) technocrats; well-intentioned dipshits unable to see the irony of living in a temple at the heart of power

Yeah but before the prequels they were a mystical order of warrior monks and more importantly unambiguously good and right.

E: which makes a better epic story imo than this namby-pamby "there must be balance between light and darkness" nonsense they've ran with since then

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, I remember the end of Return of the Jedi, when Luke decided Ben and Yoda were unambiguously right about Vader being irredeemable. Very powerful moment.

Them personally giving up after everything that had happened isn't an indictment on the Jedi as a whole.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It just blows my mind that TFA just kind of hand waves away what happened over 30 years in this universe and acts like we should already know why Luke is missing, Leia is running some weird Republic splinter group, and Han is once again back to his old poo poo

I bet you're still wondering about my red arm too

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Falcon gets blowed up, killing Lando, Chewie, Threepio, and Artoo, leaving only the new characters to carry the rest of the Star Wars saga

immediately after they die it jarringly cuts to another scene and their death isn't ever discussed

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i've been a huge star wars fan since i was a toddler, read like a hundred star wars books in middle school and high school, and i still haven't watched solo despite it being on netflix for months

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The falcon blows up in a lightspeed ramming attack on the twin towers

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why do the knights of ren look like the bad guys from hobo with a shotgun

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
well they wouldn't want to be derivative

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

celewign posted:

I recently bought CEotTK and holy smokes that movie is so well shot. It's a masterpiece.

you bought what now?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I've never been to a Disney park, but it seems like mostly waiting in lines all day in a huge crowd. Is that accurate? Sounds like a nightmare.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

lmao it’s just the old EU all over again

he has a blaster amd stormtrooper armor. I wonder what he does :thunk:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Get smoked by Poe Dameron whos gonna say something like "They come in red now?!"

lol do you write for disney

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

He didn't write the story for Star Trek or Into Darkness. They were written by a hack and a 9/11 truther.

so jj abrams and who?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
do you guys think there's only like four planets? multiple desert planets in a galaxy, so what

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

Why would Palpatine leave an entire fleet and an army of "Sith Troopers" stored in mothballs throughout the entire Civil war rather than, you know, use them to end the war?

Maybe they weren't ready

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
My beef with Phasma is that she's really immersion-breaking (though hardly the only offender from the sequels). Considering we've only ever seen stormtroopers commanded by officers in plain uniform, the idea of this super stormtrooper kinda jumps out at me as pretty cynical marketing.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Calling it now—Rey is a clone made by dark side sorcery for the purpose of hosting Palpatine's ghost, but Luke hid her away long ago so Snoke (Palpatine's imperfect host) wouldn't find her.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
in the big space battle do you think the mega star destroyers will have more than like four guns this time?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Why is it that Palpatine seems genuinely badass in ROTJ as he drips with pride and malice, just chewing the scenery, but post-scarring ROTS Palpatine just seems cheesy, like the actor is clearly hamming it up?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
You probably didn't even notice me, behind Snoke the whole time

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always wondered how Palpatine was as a kid.

delete this before they see it

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
My least favorite part of ST ship design is that all the capital ships have some prominent weapon gimmick instead of duking it out with lots of comparatively small turbolasers, etc. like mile long battleships should.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Watching ESB and something about it has always bothered me. If Admiral Ozzell hosed up by dropping out of lightspeed too close because he felt that surprise was essential, how did that alert the rebels to the attack more than dropping out further away and approaching at sublight speed?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

If other impressions from the room are accurate, it's not even really in the maul style though. Supposedly it's a lightsaber tuning fork

poo poo, the folks at gillette started making star wars movies

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Don't use passive voice, folks

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I actually did not recognize that that was C-3PO due to his red eyes.

lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

They honestly could have framed this entire thing as a local conflict that the Republic just refused to get involved with, and nothing would have changed. If the personal stakes are truly enough to carry the movies, then why bother even bother with contriving a reason that any of this imperils the entire galaxy?

Eh, we don't want to see the main Star Wars downgrade their stakes.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Teek posted:

Bad guy motivations never seem to make much sense if you stop and actually think about it. When Lucas made the prequels, he made Anakin's motivations even more nonsensical. Okay, so Vader supports the Empire and wants to kill Palpatine. Okay, but why is he loyal to a regime that grew out on a conflict he now knows was fake and manufactured? He knows Palpatine played him and the galaxy, there's no reason he has to stick by his side as a dog on a leash. "Oh, well I'm evil now, guess I just have to bide my time until I can try to kill my boss?" Except he saves Palpatine's life multiple times, but then also wants Luke to join him so they can kill the Emperor. Well, what is it Vader? Do you want to end the destructive conflict or just constantly perpetuate all the manufactured poo poo the Empire does to stay in power?

The dark side of the Force is super loving evil and corrupts people, and Palpatine is a powerful sorcerer, OP.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

garycoleisgod posted:

I have always thought that Sith didn't make up all of the dark side force users. Like all Sith are dark, but not all dark are sith. Like all Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are catholic.

But I have no idea what gave me this idea, it's not in the movies and if it's in the video games I can't remember which one, did I just make that up for myself?

I have the same idea and I think it's to reconcile the idea of dark Jedi we had from the EU with the "rule of two" they came up with much later that doesn't quite mesh with what we knew from before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mandrel posted:

like The Bandit and his hat, The Mandalorian only takes his helmet off for one thing and one thing only

shidding