Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dishwasher posted:

I think this is the main issue. This isn't Shakespeare.

So there isn't a dick joke every five pages of the script, and in the end everyone won't be killed or married off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
TARS is both the wise-cracking Marine in the sci-fi team, and also the super useful robot. He fills two niches, R2D2 really can't compete.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
R2D2 never served in the American military, he does not have my support :colbert:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
They basically sleep for the first 49 years, he's really only been bumbling around for the last one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dishwasher posted:

People were satisfied with the build up to Endgame even if the finale was a bit of a wet balloon.

What the gently caress is your metric for a success, a mass orgy outside every theater in the world?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I actually don't think we're gonna see much Star Wars stuff at all after this. I don't really know what else people have an appetite for.

Baby Yoda.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Personally I'm happy for the existence of these movies because they set up the next great Star Wars Trilogy:

The Auralnauts version of the new films.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

well why not posted:

yet again I call for Shane Carruth to be given total control of this franchise. Or James Wan. Either is good.

Literally anyone being given creative control of the franchise would probably have stopped this from happening. Like I don't think JJ is particularly good at crafting satisfying narratives, but if he got all 3 I think things would have turned out better. And I liked TLJ. If you are going to make a trilogy though you can't really wing it and constantly change the moving parts. Someone needs to be directing the overall vision of the thing, and at the end of the day here it looks like....nobody really was.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'm glad that Ben got to first base, a fitting end to the Skywalker saga.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He died from cumming too hard after finally getting that smooch

I mean he maybe touched some boob too, what else did he have to live for?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Honestly now that the book is written Ben Solo is the only vaguely interesting character in the movies, possibly because he's the only one with an arc.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean I guess the final thesis statement of Star Wars is "Literally everything in life is owed to Sheev, and if you aren't related to him you don't matter.".

Also minorities aren't real, they can't hurt you or suck each other off.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 19, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You know considering everything, maybe we should have let Sheev just run things.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ghostinmyshell posted:

With all the clips and still frames out there, can we assemble the movie yet?

Disney couldn't, you can't do any worse.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

cuntman.net posted:

the worst prequel is better than all the sequels combined

You shouldn't watch any of them, what the gently caress are you fighting over here? Who lies on top of the mass grave of lovely opinions?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Remember people saying TLJ was the best SW movie unironically.

It's definitely the best of the sequels.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I like how the Mandalorian does more to present the post-Empire Imperial position, and because it's delivered by Werner loving Herzog it's better acted than anything in the movies too.

Madness.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
"Actually everything is about the Palpatines and the Skywalkers, who are also Palpatines. That's it, it's aristocratic white people all the way down."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Raccooon posted:

Going from enhanced human because of the force to full on magic.

Dude the first movie had a guy fading into nothing and sending telepathic messages after death. It was always magic, don't play that poo poo.

Also Finn and Poe should have done some hand stuff to each other at least, Jesus Christ, they seemed like the only folks enjoying each other's company in those films.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Raccooon posted:

That also assumes Palp wasn't lying about Plagueis's ability to manipulate Anakin.

Well in the wide world of information that isn't in the movie but was part of production materials or intended beats that got dropped, he absolutely wasn't and is also Sheev is probably Anakin's dad. Which would explain why Rey and Ben have such a strong connection, as they are cousins. And also because the Palpatines and Skywalkers and Solos are all trashbag families, why they want to gently caress.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

General Dog posted:

Such a large percentage of the galaxy is either indifferent to the idea of an authoritarian government or actively yearns for one, I'm not really sure why we're even supposed to be rooting for the "freedom fighters" at this point.

It's like what exactly is stopping the trillions of people that supported the Nazis for the last like 80 years from continuing to do so, especially considering we've shown all the "Resistance" figures are terrible leaders and the status quo hasn't changed in the slightest. Odds are there's another 5 or 6 years of peace and then another brand of Imperials come to power.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

TIN0 posted:

So my question is, was Fin-Rey (Reyfn) actually a thing, or JJ planned to have that awful Reylo kiss from 10 years ago?

The answers are nobody gives a gently caress about Finn and that nothing about any of this was planned.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I like how the purpose of the sequels was to show that the Emperor is totally successful in destroying the Republic and the Skywalkers, and his lineage will continue onward now that they are all dust.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

doomisland posted:

They wouldve been better off getting a writer off fanfiction.net

Where do you think they found JJ?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

romanowski posted:

ben solo didn't even do anything redemption worthy. like so what if he revived rey. dude still helped blow up five planets at once

He was still evil, he just loved his mom and wanted to gently caress the hot chick on team Good Guy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

The Throne Room fight in TLJ was some of the worst choreographed and edited action in any of the movies. Seriously. I like a lot of TLJ and I understand getting hype at a lightsaber team up but it is really not good.

A Yuhzkan Vong trilogy would be cool but I doubt Disney is going anywhere near "space Vietnam" material.

What would be the point, there aren't any Solo kids left for them to kill or corrupt. And also the Vong were stupid and boring.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
JJ is 2 for 2 in a week of adapting someone else's work and making GBS threads all over their ending. "No the problem isn't power corrupts and anyone that seeks it is suspect, it's that we didn't give ultimate power to a good guy!" and "No Luke's triumph in the throne wasn't embracing hope and love trusting in his father to save him, it was getting the Emperor lightninged in the face. That is what the Jedi should be, dudes going around lightninging people in the face.". I don't know how the gently caress they keep giving this guy final creative oversight over projects. He's an ideas guy, you use him to throw something out there that other more competent people than bang into shape.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I think the worst part of this film is how pathologically afraid of consequences or originality it is. There was never a plot beat that had weight, or that surprised, or went anywhere other than the safest possible path. It tried to please everyone and in doing so made a film that is going to get, at best, "It was fine". That's it. It was fine. poo poo blew up, there were laser sword fights, it was ok. The biggest was killing Chewbacca and then SURPRISE 3 seconds later they make a point of showing you he's ok. Doing that poo poo just telegraphs "Nothing of any consequence is going to happen in this movie, you know exactly how this ends". You could have had them go to the ship because they need the knife and then had them sense him, at least we would have had to sit with Chewie being dead longer. That's still the safe no consequence choice, but at least you don't loving undercut it IMMEDIATELY.

It's an entire film that reached C+ and decided to coast. Driver and Ridley are always fun to watch at least.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

that's not really unusual for the protagonist of a pulpy action series

the real problem is that she's intensely boring and doesn't get any kind of a consistent character arc despite getting 3 whole movies of being the lead protagonist

She wants the D. I liked that, that ultimately Ben and Rey care less about the morality of their situation and team affiliations than they do about the fact they want to bone down.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

General Dog posted:

I’m sad that we didn’t get Rey doing a variation of the sand monologue to Kylo

I mean he can still get her force pregnant, wouldn't be the stupidest thing they've done at that point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Listen, Finn served an important role in the movie: Making it clear that miscegenation is wrong and that he should stay with his own kind, which is why nobody took him seriously about his interest in Rey and she never shows the slightest attraction to him and they had him a more appropriate black woman with his exact backstory to keep him in his lane. It's part of the movie's overall theme of the nature of nobility and bloodlines and their role in forging the great people that shape destiny.

I don't know why the *gently caress* the movie wanted to have that message, but clearly that is a message it wanted to have.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

MJeff posted:

At a certain point in the denouement I realized he wasn't gonna tell her and boy did that take the air out of their group hug for me.

Hey, take a moment to think back about everything that happens in the movie. Really let it wash over you. Ok, are you ready?

Hux did more to meaningfully advance the goal of saving the galaxy than Poe and Finn did in the last movie of the trilogy. Literally nothing they did mattered or made sense. Their final "mission" is stupid busy work for babies, predicated on the idea that a ship moving up will suddenly lose the ability to move up if a blinky console thing isn't there to go "No, the direction you are going is still up". They could have died instantly after delivering Hux's message and nothing would have changed. The only thing required for victory in the end is for Lando to Lando it up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
My favorite bit is after an entire film of pandering he has the new loving robot that is Poe's buddy go off with Rey for....reasons? Rather than the massively thematically appropriate R2. Jesus Christ JJ is there anything you can't sadly gently caress up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

romanowski posted:

what about merchandising

The real question is "What about the fact all studios lie about the profits of films to manipulate how much they have to pay out various sources?".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I like how TFA makes the original characters failures, but TLJ at least attempts to give context to their failures, and then in walking back so much of what happens in TLJ and trying to repeat the original trilogy JJ just doubles down on making the original crew pathetic failures that accomplished nothing and have no legacy. The future is hopeless because the evil bad guy can always come back from death and the people that oppose him are fallible and mortal.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I would like to talk about how this movie clearly show Rey grow as a character and also as proof that Rey is not a Mary Sue.

Your posting is worse than TROS because the overwhelming majority of people involved in the production of it had no say in how it turned out but you....you chose to be this way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
They were rounded up by the First Order and put on the ships our heroes exploded.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

TIN0 posted:

So exactly what is the lesson/moral tail this trilogy is about? That you can be anyone you want to be as long as you have the most powerful gene in the universe?

No, it's that effort is pointless and time ruins all things. The 'victory' at the end of this movie is exactly the same as the victory at the end of RotJ, which we know accomplished nothing. Further, even though the heroes of the original trilogy were canonically losers and morons who built nothing of value the new crew are even worse, meaning the state of cold war before fascists tear them down will be even shorter.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zoran posted:

For the most part this isn’t true.

Nah the prequels suck poo poo, namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
That's like saying "Why did he make a giant proclamation that he was going to gently caress up everyone's day later on when he could have said literally nothing and just hosed up everyone's day with his fleet?". The answer is it's a bad movie.