Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Imagine loving up so bad that the best scene in your movie is a character smacking into a post and saying “ow.”

I had never heard an audience audibly groan in a movie theater until Ben said Rey was a Palpatine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Jerkface posted:

TLJ did answer TFA questions. What will Luke do when he meets Rey? Why did Luke gently caress off for so long that even his best friends cant find him? Which also gives an answer for why Ben became Kylo. Who is Rey? Some ppl didnt like those answers but they dont poopoo the star war story to have them answered. When i was a kid i wasnt watching star wars to find out who lukes dad was or who vader really is or where the emperor came from or some poo poo. those types of questions were meaningless to me.

The movie ends with Luke inspiring the galaxy (after the galaxy failed to heed the resistances call) and the resistance resolute to reform and stop the first order. We also learn that weapon manufacturers are profiting off the star wars. And its been said a bunch but the FO losing its strong willed leader to be replaced by an unhinged kylo and rabid cur Hux who hate each other.

Man thats a great jumping off point. TROS could have been a fun romp around the galaxy as finn rey and poe amass the newly inspired ppl to rise up. Rose could be going around loving up the means of production.

the fact that TROS put lando and the falcon riding around the core systems gathering followers to an offscreen event that takes 5 minutes is criminal. It should have been the heart of the story!

IMO ep9 should have been finn turning the legions of FO troopers against their masters, Rey turning Kylo, Rose and the resistance destroying war industry and ending with the true believers like Hux being defeated in whatever final battle you want.

You’d have to change TFA and TLJ quite a bit if you wanted to seriously pursue the idea of stormtroopers being brainwashed slaves worth saving, what with the heroes spending the whole sequel trilogy gleefully murdering them.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

The origins aren't the point, though. The characters of the sequel trilogy were mostly terrible, but Snoke was interesting and very well-acted by Andy Serkis chewing the gently caress out of the scenery and his absence left Adam Driver carrying everything.

Smoke was a cardboard cutout and dying was literally the only interesting thing that happened with his character.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm not sure I buy this.

Odd that Kennedy is so on board with "gently caress it, it's Sheev!"

JJ Abrams would be the worst person to play a "yes, and..." improv game with.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

plus they have the benefit of hindsight looking at Mark and Carrie's careers for the 20 years post-ROTJ.

What does this even mean? They were both working actors before the films, and had successful careers after. Hamill did some films, Broadway, and a bunch of voice work. Fisher continued acting and was an incredibly successful script doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Despite having careers, they both struggled to escape typecasting and the baggage associated with their relationship to the franchise. They've both talked very openly about it.

"When my agent arranged a lunch meeting between me and this Oscar-winning director, the director told me he had considered it heavily but didn't want me as the star of his movie. This sure would have turned out differently if I was a nameless actor at an open audition with a couple of television credits to my name."