Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Necrotizer F posted:

The idea that the Force was awakening in all sorts of people instead of being confined to the Magic Space Jesus bloodline of the Skywalkers.

Serious question - when was this ever the case? The prequels literally had hundreds of non-Skywalker Jedi, and out of the six force-users in the OT, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Palpatine have no connection to the Skywalker bloodline. TLJ fans seem to think that "the force has been democratized, now anybody be a Jedi!" is some sort of rebuttal to the older films when it feels more like a solution in search of a problem. But I guess it's a moot point since Rey's heritage is getting retconned and I guarantee we're never seeing Broomstick Kid again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Duel of the Fates has been incorporated into IX’s soundtrack, allegedly.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, an entire fleet of mini death stars that will probably be blown up by a hotshot pilot.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Remember that planet-sized explosion that very clearly obliterated the DS2 down to its very atoms? Turns out it didn't even manage to break all the windows. Apparently Palpatine's budget cuts didn't extend to double glazing.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

What new places and original ideas where those, specifically?

Just look at what we know about TROS to see how the status quo has been completely shattered: a bunch of underdog rebels (including a hotshot pilot, a wookiee, comedic droids and a jedi with a blue lightsaber) versus an evil empire led by a man in black with a red lightsaber (but Emperor Palpatine is the true villain) and access to planet destroying superweapon(s).

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just can't get over the moral of Poe's story being "just shut up and do as you're told, don't ask questions, your bosses know what they're doing and you have no right to an explanation".

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Horizon Burning posted:

Are you having a stroke?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's stupid. Space Nazis are bad, and should be fought against.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holdo's home planet genuinely sounds like it was made up by chuds making a parody of "woke identity politics".

Wookieepedia posted:

Natives of Gatalenta were renowned for their calmness and serenity, and rose each day to thank the planet's multiple suns for rising.

They widely practiced skyfaring, a form of calisthenics exercise involving the use of scarves to climb wooden scaffolding and suspend themselves in midair, and had a purpose-built skyfaring room within the Gatalentan senatorial complex on Coruscant. Advanced practioners of skyfaring were able to meditate in place, "unmoored to the ground," and so enhance their spiritual well-being and that of those around them. Love and compassion were taught and practiced fondly by the people of Gatalenta, and crying openly was considered a virtue and proof of a caring heart.

Gatelenta was ruled by the Council of Mothers. Slavery was illegal on the planet, and slaves were not allowed to be brought to the planet. If a slave was brought there, and their master was caught, the slave was set free. The Gatalentan people were known for living austerely, wearing only pale grey or white clothing, the only colorful parts of their attire being traditional scarlet cloaks. In the years before the Galactic Civil War, Gatalenta had a strong Jedi tradition, and the old Jedi legends remained alive on Gatalenta in spite of the Jedi Purge.

Gatalentan tea was the planet's most popular export along with a healthy meat-substitute known as soypro which could even be found in the Outer Rim Territories. Leia Organa was particularly fond of this tea.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

That’s a strange criticism

She’s by definition superior to her subordinates

I don't think you really understand what "rebellion" or "resistance" mean.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Palpatine was in charge of the galaxy and outranked everyone, so why didn't the rebels just do what he told them? :confused:

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

?

They were in a different chain of command ?

But Palpatine was the highest legal authority in the galaxy, so why didn't they defer to him?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Do you know what a rebellion is ?

I think it typically involves people who don't blindly defer to the proper authorites and accept whatever bullshit their "leaders" tell them without question?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Part of any military leader's job is to inspire morale among their troops, I think it's fair to say she was an objective loving disaster in that regard.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe she could have tried anything, anything apart from "you have to do what I say because I outrank you".

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

This does lead to the idea that of course holdo got mutinied, the way she was dressed was just asking for it

Hey, commanding a battle while wearing an impractical evening gown isn't a gendered thing in Star Wars. :colbert:

edit: although, I guess Snoke got mutinied too...

Asgerd fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 19, 2019

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But has Han Solo ever punched a giant cat alien?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

banned from Starbucks posted:

Welcome to the military. Do you think people just constantly ask superior officers to justify their orders? That's not how a chain of command works.

This is a rebellion, isn't it? They rebel.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sure, we're all about defying unjust authorities, but Befehl ist Befehl.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

It’s literally stated in the movie

I'm still waiting for this direct quote!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

Ray training so everyone in this thread who complained she was just “too good” can shut up.

Why does she even need to train? Nobody poses a threat to her. Kylo Ren is a bumbling clown she's already defeated once already.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cargohills posted:

can't believe the bastards at disney are refusing to bring back Sebastian Shaw, a man who has been dead for 25 years, as Anakin Skywalker

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I read that Boyega doesn't think the movies did enough to establish the new trio dynamic, and it occurred to me that I legitimately can't remember if Rey and Poe have actually spoken to each other.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

G-III posted:

The most egregious aspect of this sequel trilogy is that it is not about anything. There is no actual story here or even a lesson for the audience to walk away with

At least the prequels were a cautionary tale about how a representative republic goes belly up (a tale that seems oddly prophetic in a post 2016 world). Can anyone even state what this sequel trilogy was supposed to be about?

It's about family. And that's what's so powerful about it.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Rey is the daughter of Palpatine’s son that he had at some point, and it’s not elaborated on further.

Everyone who said it was a bold move making Rey a nobody should really address this

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's already a narrative taking hold that ROS is a bad movie because it tried to appease people who didn't like Last Jedi by retconning every subversive element. Thing is, they don't seem to like it either. So they managed to piss off and alienate every side of the argument. That's one way to unify the fans I guess!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Rise of Skywalker is possibly worse than any prior Star Wars “episode.” It ends a legendary franchise with a thud while denying this new trilogy its artistic reason for existence. It represents the cultural theft of Star Wars from today’s kids by today’s arrested-development-stricken adults. Star Wars was a franchise first and foremost for children, and the kids who grew up with Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and the MCU have embraced harsh truths and challenging narratives. Lucasfilm and Disney’s The Rise of Skywalker feels explicitly crafted for the “Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars!” and “George Lucas ruined my childhood!” demographics, right down to its near erasure of Kelly Marie Tran’s Rose Tico. It’s bad enough that adults no longer see grown-up movies in theaters, but now yesterday’s geeks who have taken over pop culture feel entitled to have the kid-friendly franchises aimed at them as well.

"You ungrateful plebs didn't like The Last Jedi, so it's your fault this movie sucks."

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

It's not fanfiction.

Everything after the OT is fanfiction. Yes, that includes everything else written by Lucas.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Canon is an illusion. It's a marketing gimmick to trick you into thinking some fiction is somehow realer than others

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SolarFire2 posted:

No, I think it's perfectly possible to hate TLJ for what it did to Luke and hate this movie, too.

TLJ fans hate this movie. TLJ haters also hate this movie. They tried to appease everyone and appeased no-one.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Its Coke posted:

it rules. I've got so much gleeful schadenfreude toward the whole situation

It would be perfect if this killed off Star Wars movies for good. I know it definitely won't, but we need to have hope!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

3. Rey, realizing that her affinity in the force doesn't come from any special heritage, means that far more people can become strong in the force than previously assumed. She beings to spread word of this more democratization in the force and inspires and trains a new form of Jedi, maybe guided by Leia and ghost skywalker,.

Seriously, am I the only one who remembers that there were hundreds of non-Skywalker jedi? "Democratizing the force" makes absolutely no sense because it was literally always like that. Yoda and Mace Windu didn't have any magical Skywalker heritage. gently caress, even within the sequels Luke had a jedi academy with students that presumably weren't his relatives. This was always one of the most annoying things about the Last Jedi, it thought it was being so smart for solving a problem that didn't actually exist!

...and then TROS chucked the whole "Rey is a nobody" idea in the garbage anyway lol get hosed Rian

Asgerd fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 19, 2019

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
something Palpatine planned it so no matter what happened he won something something

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Quantum Shart posted:

Actually the message is to fight for things you love and not against things that you hate. But go off against the best of the sequel tril

what is the practical difference here

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Kylo's nipples are the only human nipples we see in a Star Wars movie btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkGkSG1-d0

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The prequels are poo poo and the sequels are poo poo. I loving hate Star Wars.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

But overall, The Last Jedi seemed to be pushing "don't take risks" and "you can't win through sacrifice,"

Except Holdo, who helped them win through an incredibly risky sacrifice.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They’re going to be Sith in slightly different costumes and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does this have anything to do with Rian Johnson’s movie trilogy that’s still definitely going to happen?