Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

It will mean literally nothing and have no follow up.

Unlike the ST, which will of course be merchandised and sequelised to hell and back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

General Dog posted:

The bad guys want Baby Yoda so he can Force Heal the charred corpse of Palpatine.

I read this and I have no idea if it's parody or an actual synopsis.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Finn, Poe, Rey, Luke, and Leia could also work a lot better in this context. Kinda want to write a full plot treatment...

:justpost:

I wrote one that opened with Ben Solo off to see his uncle Luke to get a handle on these weird gross Force powers which keep sending him visions of a life of struggle and war. Meanwhile the New Republic is unwilling to trust Force users at all after the events of the last two trilogies, and Luke has devised a way to cut potentially rebellious or uncooperative students off from the Force altogether. By the end of it, the New Republic is about to be torn apart by the awakening of nascent Force users, Luke is dead, Ben is missing an arm and on a mission to murder the Force, and only Rey, Poe and Finn stand in his way. I make no claims to quality but it sure made me feel better after watching TRoS.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That part is easy. Prequel trilogy is about the rise of fascism, OT is about defeating fascism, ST should have been about the legacy of fascism and preventing it from rising again. Lots of ways they could have written a (very timely!) story about that, and unfortunately they didn't even try.

For a long-running series like Star Wars especially it's an interesting challenge because you have the added vocabulary and grammar of however many preceding films to work with. There's an interesting tension in figuring out how to work with what's come before and trying to do something new. Alas, the Disney films seem most interested in replaying what's already gone before else they might decrease their market share 2%

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Saturnalia posted:

Spain, too. It’s amazing how that country managed to avoid WW2.

The Spanish Civil War destroying the country's economy and killing most of the country's military-age men probably helped

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

surf rock posted:

That list admittedly isn't significantly longer than my sequel trilogy list, but again, I think there's something about the original trilogy that has some kind of resonance/echo in the prequel trilogy but that is absent from the sequels. I dunno how to describe it.

It's that the prequels are about the society and characters that produced the OT and the sequels are a crappy reproduction of the OT.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

Having a tank of similarly deformed snokes suggests that shev is ready to put a new one into use if something happens with the main one. The one that died in TLJ may not even be the first one. There's gotta be a room on a star destroyer somewhere where the backup snokes are playing poker waiting to be called up

It's Star Wars though so we can't call it that

How about... snoker?

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

(Seriously, what is it with these movies and maps?)

Maps in a lot of speculative fiction serve as a distraction for nerds to pore over. By internalizing meaningless information like "Town A is Z miles from this landmark" they can avoid actually reading and understanding what a story is about. That Abrams went with maps--twice, lol--rather than direct a movie about anything interesting seems like the logical next step.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, do you know the names of the people who killed bin Laden? Sure you could probably look some of them up, and you know the name Seal Team Six, but their names are not household names.

It's not exactly the same thing, but it's treated as a massive deal in media, so I think it's somewhat comparable.

Really it's kind of the exact opposite? Luke's the radicalized religious extremist leading a guerilla movement and the Emperor represents the sprawling technocratic technologically advanced conventional force

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Or they killed them because it's kind of narratively and thematically appropriate.

Exactly. Going up against an Empire is supposed to be scary and horrifying. The OT got away with it because it was a fun pulp adventure, but a war movie take on the concept killing everyone off is both emotionally fulfilling and faithful to Rogue One's sources.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

He is in this hilarious scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPtvBP8S0ZM

And stands next to Padme in "this is how liberty dies" scene which, imo, is enough to set him up as future backer of the Rebellion. Jimmy Smits has screen presence.

IIRC there's also cut stuff where he, Padme, and maybe Mon Mothma lay the groundwork for the rebellion?

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think the reference point for Jedha was the French occupation of Algeria, actually. Or at least the version that exists in the popular imagination as a result of the Battle of Algiers movie. Sucks that a lot of the Jedha stuff got cut.

The point about American misadventures in Iraq/Afghanistan as a reference point is interesting. I think DUNE did a better riff on it that anything else that comes to mind recently but I do wonder how much gas is left in that tank. Given recent events I think we probably start seeing more stuff influenced by the Russian invasion of Ukraine and other more regional conflicts, which could go all kinds of ways.

One of the things that makes the originals interesting is that they're counter-cultural in a way that was possible back in the day that doesn't seem to exist anymore. It's kind of cool to see rebels in the Star Wars version of conical hats take potshots at Darth Vader and blow up the toys churned out by his military-industrial complex. It's cool to see the stormtroopers/clone troopers march off to fight the war on terror the clone wars while half the main cast goes "gee I don't know if this is a good idea" and the Imperial March plays. It's a touch transgressive and there's a real authorial point of view you can vibe with or disagree if that's your thing idunno

Meanwhile Patty Jenkins climbing from an F16 into an X-Wing or thinly veiled references to Emperor Vladimir Putin will just make you feel like you're consuming the same gruel you get anytime you turn on cable news. And this is Disney, they're gonna go for it, but if even your escapist space opera is super concerned with feeding you The Correct Opinions you will probably be at least a little bored and dissatisfied

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
While I understand why people are confused about Snoke's untimely death, I think it makes a ton of sense.

When you break down what's happening in the throne room scene in RotJ, it's a war between Luke and the Emperor for Vader's soul. The Emperor is just there to put pressure on Vader so that he has to make the choice to either defend the son willing to love him or give up on that part of himself forever. (That's what all of those stupid back-and-forth cuts of his expressionless mask while Hamill writhes in pain are trying to sell you.)

There's no real interiority to the Emperor. We're not there to find out what he decides. We know what he wants and what he's willing to get it. He's ultimately not very interesting in that original scene, unless you dig the lore.

Flash-forward to the sequels, and I would try and ditch this setup to do something new too. Asking "can we try and internally motivate Kylo Ren to make the right choice" is a more interesting question than "what evil wizard can we stick on his shoulder to tell him to do bad things?"

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Darko posted:

I like that they follow a different flavor like Qui Gon. "I'll let the universe guide me," (Baze does at the end) and The Force does guide them to the path it wants. Not Jedi, but still working with the universe.

Then it kills them when their purpose is done.

Does it kill them when their purpose is done, or does it entreat them to trust in the Force that, even in death, even though no one else remembers them, their sacrifices meant something and were a vital part of the history of the galaxy/the extended Disney Star Wars intellectual property portfolio?

Rogue One is crazy good, is what I'm getting at

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Solo blows because it's not a movie that has Han Solo in it, it's a movie about Han Solo. It's a biopic that takes place in the Star Wars universe and it has all the same problems that every terribe biopic has. Plus a lot of additional problems stemming from being a really bad Srat Wars movie.

They should have just done 3:10 to Yuma in space or whatever. Just a small self-contained adventure.

I think that the movie basically could have been saved if it would admit that Han is too much of a coward to join the Rebels at the end. He's heartbroken, he can see the case that's laid out for him, he holds the Empire in contempt... but he can't bring himself to believe in anything. He's too heartbroken by the double-betrayal and he curls in on himself.

Instead the movie sets him up in the last thirty seconds with the Falcon with a big stupid wink at the camera to try and bring you in on what a cool, fun guy Han Solo is, and it's hard to not ask what the point of the whole movie was.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Being fair part of what motivates Prequels revisionism is probably also the general state of Hollywood. Someone like Lucas having this much freedom over three movies with this budget is basically unheard of today, and the Prequels come across as a coherent personal project in a way you don't really get anymore with contemporary blockbusters.

It's insane whenever I think about it, but we will never get another Star Wars again--not in the narrow "Disney bad/Lucas good" sense, but in the "no studio studio is ever going to give anyone that much of a budget to do something so weird and unheard of." Everything is going to be algorithmically-generated copies of copies until the sea swallows LA

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

For all that Zack Snyder is a profitable auteur whom all right-thinking persons adore, Rebel Moon is very much trading on its resemblance to Star Wars.

Right. Call me when someone's broken the mold again, not just gotten the chance to put their own spin on the mold that's been in use for 45+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
While it's incredibly frustrating that the sequels seem determined not to say anything about their context or setting besides "wow look, these sure are more Star Wars," I actually think that leaves a great opportunity for the right writer(s) at some point down the line. There's this huge gap, we know basically how it ends, and no one seems to care what happened in the middle because then you have to think about the sequels. You could throw anything in there.

Dream project to explore this period: a Veep-style satire following Mon Mothma as she tries to claw leadership of the New Republic away from Leia for increasingly spiteful reasons while failing to deal with escalating crisises like Hutt venereal disease epidemic, massive jizz wailer protests, extradimensional invasions, etc.