Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Onmi posted:

Oh, by the way, I feel the need to clear up something, no, the Death Star Destroyers are not all powered by miniaturized Death Star Tech they had all the way back in Return of the Jedi, that would be silly. No, they're Death Star Equivalent cannons all powered by Sheev-energy. So yes, Sheev has the power to destroy planets.
I honestly didn't hate the idea of Palpatine being an undying evil who was secretly pulling the strings to create new apprentices in the first two films. But that didn't feel very compatible with him having the resources to very easily subjugate and/or destroy the entire universe on his own. It rendered not just TLJ but also TFA completely pointless.

That said I did sortof enjoy the absurd late DBZ style power creeping, I guess it's just where executive meddling takes you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah in the films I feel Jedi and Sith are always presented as very powerful fighters who inspire loyalty and/or fear with their incredible deeds, but not as people who can singlehandedly destroy an army or disable a fleet with brute force. TLJ actually plays that up with the 'lifting rocks' thing so going the opposite direction in this film was weird.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You also have to stand in that exact spot for it to work.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Another thing that confused me about the wayfinder was that Ren destroyed the Emperor's so that Rey would be forced to travel with him. So why was she surprised to learn that he had another one later? Wasn't that explicitly established?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Onmi posted:

You know gravity isn't infinite right? There's a limit to how much force is exerted by a planetary body? They're not close enough to that planet for the bombs to be caught in a gravity well
The comparison between the reaches people have to do to find 'plotholes' in TLJ and RoS where you can just state any aspect of the story and find a gaping narrative void is pretty funny.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems pretty unclear to me who's supposed to be in charge now, especially given that Rey hosed off to Tattooine. Probably going to be a hell of a civil war right after that orgy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's actually no genetic significance to Rey and Ren being related to Palpatine, he just remotely force-impregnated so many women he was bound to sire a couple of Chosen Ones.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

2house2fly posted:

TLJ had two characters in charge of the First Order who hate each other, two other characters with a romantic connection and an open channel of communication who were on opposite sides of a war, and the good guys were firm underdogs with potentially powerful allies in the struggle against tyranny. If JJ Abrams couldn't figure out any way to get an interesting story out of that, that's kind of on him
Yeah I was super curious what would happen after TLJ. As it turns out the answer was we'd get a bunch of nonsense entirely unconnected to the core story of both TFA and TLJ.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The completely pointless training scene was a pretty funny example of how reactive this film was.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Is it wierd that I think Rey killing a character through inadvertent anger could have worked as a plot device? Her self-exile scene on Luke's Island, and even lashing out at Ben when he dropped his guard, would have made a hell of a lot more sense if she actually had some bad things accidentally, and not know that Chewie was alive 10 minutes loving later

That whole subplot was pointless
I agree. Even without changing anything else about the movie it would've made sense as part of the "maybe Rey is turning to the dark side" storyline rather than just being another scene retroactively rendered pointless.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The old republic didn't have any significant military power until the Clone Wars. I can believe that there'd be a lot of political resistance to raising an army to fight an (apparently fairly small) internal threat in the new republic given how that ended up last time. This should've been mentioned in TFA though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Fisher gave a good performance in TLJ and I'm glad it was left intact. What TROS did with her was a travesty though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Leia would be moving along with it at the same speed, you don't instantly 'stop' when you leave a moving vehicle.

The complaints about the scene are weird to me. If you can use the force on yourself to jump then can't you equally use it on yourself to move a short distance through space. TLJ's new applications of the force were logical extensions of previous uses we've seen.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. I was disappointed to see them canning the Obi Wan film but this will probably be better.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In mine it rolls the credits after Rey murders Chewbacca.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gatts posted:

Yeeeessss turn to hate, let the seed of anger grow....let the Star Wars fans turn on Disney and use them to fight the MCU and their fans and bring Disney down....yeeesssss....let it be humbled from within
I feel like all it'll do to the MCU is make it look better by comparison.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really don't rate the prequels at all but I'd still put them all above TROS without hesitation. TROS spectacularly fails on a basic storytelling level in a way that few major blockbusters manage

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It wasn't a strange thing for Luke to do but I do think it was a really bad way to conclude The Mandalorian (or at least the story arc the first two seasons were about). Just have a much more powerful guy show up and effortlessly sweep aside the problem. Our hero's efforts were pointless.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assumed that'd be the Kenobi series.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bold strategy to pivot to making good films, instead of bad ones. Time will tell if this pans out

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked Mandalorian's very cowboy/samurai film inspired storylines and its focus on action. Kindof a return to Star War's roots in a way. The wider lore stuff in season 2 wasn't great though and I really hated the ending, I doubt they'll do anything like Mandalorian s1 again.

e: thinking about it I basically just wanted it to continue being Samurai Jack

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 21, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can see a US political reading in TLJ but I definitely don't read it as pro-Hillary. We see that the New Republic had failed to improve people's lives during their time in power and that's why nobody answers the call to come help them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Luke showing up was particularly bad but I think having a force user show up and just effortlessly slaughter the series' biggest enemy made the entire thing feel very pointless. Like what have the heroes been fighting for? Just buying time until Luke felt like showing up?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first hour or so of the film really feels like a series of unrelated scenes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

euphronius posted:

a lot of media is that simple if you reduce it into tropes.com slang
You could summarize many films like that, but in doing so you'd be cutting out relevant narrative, characterisation and relationships. I'm struggling to think of much that happens in that part of TRoS other than a series of random setpieces and multiple death fakeouts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't really see S2 of Mandalorian is a reaction to TRoS in any way (although the ending seems like another bad reaction to TLJ criticism). It seemed like a more standard case of greed, where they wanted to spinoff 4 new shows from their successful show in the hope that they'd be equally popular.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

There’s really nothing democratic about Palpatine. I get what you’re going for but from the very get go he was installed under very shady circumstances and then used emergency declarations to assume greater power and stayed beyond his term of office.
Yeah. I saw it as basically the same as Hitler's Enabling Law.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kylo's reveal is important to Rey because he says that her parents aren't coming back for her, and never intended to.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If Finn had killed himself to take out the laser the only difference in the outcome of the film would be Finn's death.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think there's a clear throughline for all of these scenes - the First Order will not be defeated by trading military hardware with them. Poe sacrificing the Resistance's bomber fleet did not stop their advance, Holdo ramming the flagship did not stop it, Finn's attempted sacrifice wouldn't have worked either.

This is pretty clear from a literal perspective - it's a bad idea to trade resources with a foe who has you outnumbered, you'll be whittled down to nothing while they still have stuff left. But I think it also speaks to a wider flaw in the resistance approach, where they're just locked in an endless battle with the FO and not achieving anything other than enriching arms dealers. To win they need to actually help the people they claim they're fighting for and inspire them - this is the true power of the Jedi.

TRoS tries to distance itself from TLJ in many ways but ordinary people turning up to save the day against an otherwise insurmountable foe is a (very stupid) vindication of this theme.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Holdo knew that her plan relied heavily on the FO not knowing about it and that there was the possibility of the plan being leaked (it was, as it turns out), so it made sense that she didn't want to tell anyone the plan until the last moment. But I do get why Poe got antsy from not knowing. It's a good conflict, both sides are understandable and it's not really easy to say who's to blame. Certainly things would've gone better if one of the two had compromised, but who do you think had the obligation to do so?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's OK for a film to have conflicts with no obviously correct side. You don't always need to be told what to think - I find the 'was it Luke or Ren that was right' conversation that frequently recurs here genuinely interesting.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If TLJ is to be read as an analogy for contemporary US politics then it is very clearly critical of liberals.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think she suspects that he himself is a spy, rather she thinks (completely correctly as it turns out) that he'll tell a lot of other people about the plan potentially including spies.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think Poe is a dumbass exactly but he clearly has a very different view frok Holdo regarding how much you should tell your subordinates about upcoming operations.

e: and while Holdo does turn out to be right I do think it's an interesting question whether it's enough to just be right and it's on other people to realize you're right, or whether you also have a responsibility to gain other people's trust so that they realize you're right. Just one of the many interesting questions raised by this cool film

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 12, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mad at the murder mystery film for having a twist

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

"Smart character acts dumb to get others to lower their guard" is barely even a twist. The "subverting expectations" meme must be killed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The exit surveys for TLJ were basically the same as they were for TFA and Rogue One, there was just a very vigorous online campaign against it. I don't think this was entirely politically motivated but it's easy to skew non-controlled online polls if the people who dislike a film are more online and passionate.

e: by contrast TRoS did worse than the other sequels and even the prequels

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 3, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

e: wrong thread. Wiki does think it's all the same Goldstein family but I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess the problem with it is "how do we deal with the arms dealers" completely hijacks the story from that point, and that's a story disney would never ever do. I'm not sure if anyone here ever watched legend of galactic heroes, I only began it, but a lot of things about the canto bight/arms dealer scenario remind me in a scuffed way of the setup of phezzan in that universe, almost approaching conspicuously so. If anyone has watched such anime it's surely rian
Truly incredible show (the ship on ship ramming also felt pretty reminiscent) but yeah you want to commit to that storyline a lot harder if you're going to do it.