Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
George Lucas finally at peace with Han shooting first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

:shrug: Who cares? My entertainment -- though I was mostly neutral on this -- isn't based on box office performance. If that were the case, I'd hate a lot of my favorite movies.

There is no need to defend "enjoyment" of a work against charges of box office failure. What matters is the merit of the work in question.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kylo Ren successfully seducing Rey is the greatest taboo possible in these movies. The Last Jedi shows it as a prospect as unimaginable as Luke Skywalker joining with Darth Vader.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

To belong somewhere.

That's a platitude. She already belonged somewhere (Jakku), now she's just generically opposed to Bad Guys.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Rian Johnson owns and directed the two best Breaking Bad episodes of the entire run.

Damned by faint praise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

aBagorn posted:

I was completely exhausted at this panel and like half falling asleep once I sat down.

I jumped out of my seat screaming with glee like a child. It was my favorite part of Celebration by far.

Not so much "like" but "because I am", I gather.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vinylshadow posted:

Redo the start and Naboo sections of AotC to tone down Anakin's creep factor

Why?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lando hasn't been seen with the Resistance because he's a Snoke voter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"toxic masculinity"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign [Gerard Butler] in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder:
He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

Goons: less sense for irony than Zack Snyder, director of 300.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

If you were to make 300 earnestly, as a propaganda piece, aggrandizing everything the Spartans do and going out of your way to make Persians and disabled people into inhuman caricatures, what would you do differently?

300 is very literally a movie about a guy telling propaganda to soldiers before battle. He's simply good at what he does, which is why the Spartans appear appealing despite their monstrousness.

e:

galagazombie posted:

It's like you people don't remember that killing people with birth defects and believing it was cool and necessary to make themselves "badass" is not something real-world fascists believe and have literally done. Thinking 300 is not sincere is like thinking The Birth of a Nation is a satirical call for equal rights and the inherent dignity of all men.

So the problem is that... a movie about Spartans illustrates Spartan mindset?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What we're seeing is pepole accurately identifying that the Spartans as portrayed by 300 are bad when you get down to it, but then arguing that the movie can't meant that because of some nebulous "sincerity" that leads fascists to enjoy the movie or something.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

Zach Snyder is good at what he does if what he wanted to do was appeal to that mindset, and he is bad at what he does if he was going for satire, because the people who are totally down for eating babies took his modest proposal seriously.

Your argument is that Zack Snyder is bad because viewers misinterpret his movies.

In other words, you're saying that Zack Snyder is too smart for audiences.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

We have, in the movie, an example of why baby pits are good in the traitor who avoided said pit and doomed the Spartans. We have, in the movie, an example of why peace pushing civilian politicians are just traitors looking to sell you out for money. The pedophilia ridden Spartans get to be all smug about the boy loving Athenians and it never comes up that they are hypocrites in that regard. The slave holding Spartans get to crow about freedom, and it never comes up that they even own slaves. What we don't have? Any positive examples of non Spartans.

So the movie is non-satirical because

1. The Spartans are destroyed by someone they mistreat.

2. The Spartans portray a peacemaker as a traitor.

3. The Spartans are hypocrites about pederasty.

4. The Spartans are hypocrites about slavery.

All adding up to "the Spartans are bad, therefore the movie is not satire".

Also, Xerxes is an exemplary non-Spartan figure.

kidkissinger posted:

Here's Syder responding to a question about the film being racist:

Yeah, he's right. Trying to frame the ludicrous fantasy in those terms is misguided.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The next Star Wars will be 300, but Xerxes will dress in a Han Shot First t-shirt and slip on a banana peel. My source on this has been correct about everything else so far.

e:

remusclaw posted:

The movie is non-satirical because all of that requires extra reading beyond the movie to get, because none of it is even slightly touched on in the movie.

As to mistreatment leading to treason, we are shown in the film that Spartan standards lead to strong Spartans who can fight anything, and we are shown that failing to live up to those standards can lead to defeat.

They aren't shown as hypocrites because their actual actions are never even alluded to in the film as regards slavery and pederasty.

The movie is bad because... you need education to fully get it?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

Oh, you just playing. Sorry bud, you had me.

You're arguing that the movie doesn't work as a satire because audiences won't be aware that Spartans were actually pederasts and slavers, and thus miss their hypocrisy.

You're quite straight-forwardly saying that the movie is too smart for audiences. "Extra reading" is just a synonym for education.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

By this logic the less context given in any work the smarter it is. I feel movies should generally stand on their own. Opinions may differ.

Well that is merely what you "feel". In reality films do not stand their own, because no text can stand on its own. For example, to watch 300 you have to know history and documentation of war to understand that you're watching a fantasy rather than the reality.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

Uh, Nazi's. Like, un-ironically. They had euthanasia programs for children with disabilities. As for kids fighting each other, I mean I had brothers. We did that regardless of whether it was approved of or not, and yeah, in a warrior society, that doesn't even come across odd at all. People gonna train from a young age in a martial society, that doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

Then look at the context for the movie. America in the midst of GWB and generally right wing reactionary and Islamophobic as gently caress at the time. It is convenient perhaps to frame the movie as satire now that the political landscape has shifted.

Now you've simply drifted into conspiracy theory. For whom is it convenient to read a movie as a satirical? Is legitimizing Snyder's movie a crypto-Fascist plot?

The introduction of the Bush years to this whole discussion is certainly insightful. There's an unappreciated bit in The Death of the Author where Barthes notes that in interpretation, "history" and "society" are just synonyms for the Author who people try to find "beneath" the text. Thus you're arguing that any satirical qualities in the movie are just superficial, and beneath the surface is the Author, who varies between Jock Snyder, Eternal Fascism, and the Bush Administration.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

Nah, just Snyder, who would like to work without being outwardly seen as politically wrongheaded and whoever likes his work, for the sake of well, evangelizing why they like his work.

Saying a popular film maker wants to stay popular is conspiracy theory now?

Snyder was pointing out 300's satire when it came out. And people who like his work are trying to legitimize it in some kind of crypto-Fascist plot? What are you talking about?

It's not like Snyder is trying to drum interest in the movie in 2018, because it was already successful years ago. You are suggesting a very weird conspiracy theory where Zack Snyder and his admirers are trying to reinvent it as satire fifteen years later.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 23, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Star Wars, except that the Empire has an actually cool aesthetic

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kidkissinger posted:

I have not found a single quote from him that suggests this is the case.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign [Gerard Butler] in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder:
He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can only hope for more intoxicating masculinity in movies.

Harrow posted:

Though I will say that I never get tired of reading arguments that the only reason someone wouldn't like Zack Snyder films is if they're too uneducated or stupid to get it.

The only people who make those arguments are people who don't like Zack Snyder films.

For example, there was one goon in another thread who heavily criticized Snyder for using obscure Christians symbols, because Christianity is an irrelevant religion and only a tiny minority of people will understand the allusions.

And by "obscure Christian symbols," he meant stuff like stained glass Jesus. He genuinely considered it too highbrow for general audiences.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 24, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The entire plot hinges on one character. They do not matter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I sympathize with bushism.txt's roundabout argument that the original movies are bad too, even if their particular points are silly.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I perfectly understand, though. A central character in the story has no character, but the originals did the same. They're pretty bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

Knowing where a character got power isn't a characteristic. We know everything we need to about the characters from the movie.

This is a universe where people get power from God. Of course it's a character trait.

Like it says a lot about Star Wars fan that they desensitize themselves to the implications of divine power.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zoran posted:

To me, this seems like one of those wild misunderstandings that nevertheless penetrated popular culture. Yes, Luke and Leia do turn out to inherit Anakin Skywalker's strength in the Force. In a typical fantasy, this would mean they have a divine right to rule, and the usurper king must be dethroned because he's illegitimate. Instead, Leia becomes a revolutionary—although she starts as an upper-class liberal snob—who opposes the Empire because it's fascist. Luke throws away all his worldly power, refuses to become what his father is, and in so doing inspires Vader to destroy evil. The father dies to redeem the galaxy because the son was willing to do it first.

Leia is a revolutionary because she's an artiscorat. She wants to restore power to the Senate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zoran posted:

That’s obviously what she is in A New Hope. By the time of Return of the Jedi, my read is that she is radicalized. Jabba is her mirror image, since he's really nothing more than another aristocrat on a different world. She is enslaved by this figure, and then she kills him with his own tool of oppression.

For the rest of the film, she has no special role in the rebel hierarchy anymore. She doesn’t lead the final battle. She has subsumed herself fully into the cause, and now she is just another foot soldier wearing the same guerrilla outfit as everyone else. Eventually she encounters another oppressed race of people, makes common cause with them, and battles alongside them for their liberation and her own.

The sequels say that Leia ends up as one of the last people still carrying on the fight against fascists, and that actually rings true to me. The part in the old and new EU where she's a high-ranking, vaguely liberal politician does not.

You're doing the same mistake as many fans in that you really want Star Wars to be a leftist parable but trip up on the basics.

Like the Rebels aren't leftists. Their goal is to restore a golden age of nobles and knights destroyed by the Empire ("a more civilized age"). They're not trying overthrow capitalism or whatever. They're romantic conservatives, as opposed to Empire's quasi-fascist modernity.

Misreading the original trilogy as a progressive story is what leads to stuff like the Sequel Trilogy, which tries to affect progressive politics while at the same time avoiding any politics. The government is destroyed and nobody cares. Arms dealers are evil, but that's just a bad impression of a political stance.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zoran posted:

My point is that these things change. We don’t ever get a clear picture of the entire Rebellion's ideology, so we can only rely on what we see in the main characters as proxies. Luke ultimately rejects Obi-Wan's goals. Leia gives up the trappings of aristocracy. Han throws away his livelihood for the cause, even when given multiple chances to run away and start up his independent business again.

Again, you trip up on the basics. The characters never stop trying to restore "a more civilized age". The fact that they dress differently doesn't mean a thing if they're still doing the same thing as before.

Zoran posted:

Nobody really gets into this Rebellion for completely selfless reasons, and yet they grow into much better people because of it. And the Rebellion, for its part, becomes a multi-racial coalition that actually does liberate oppressed peoples.

Teddy bears are not an oppressed people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Preston Waters posted:

Snoke's death was pretty much just a response to all fan speculators on youtube (eg, "IS SNOKE MACE WINDU??!"). It was Rian Johnson screeching the car to a halt and scolding us for being little brats for asking the wrong questions.

That you think of Rian Johnson as your father explains a lot.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

Both her and kylo hold on to totems of the OT, and kylo is mad hes not the badass he's "supposed to be"(just ask the "hardcore"fans) despite following all the guidelines an uber nerd of the canon has given him.

Ah, the "It's about Star Wars itself!" school of criticism.

Kylo Ren isn't angry because he's not an insecure Star Wars fan. He's angry because he's a religious warrior whose own family planned to murder him in his sleep.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kylo Ren isn't a Star Wars fan. There's no Star Wars franchise that exists within the world of the story for him to be a fan of.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Luke used to be a huge Anakin fan, but turned into an angry bitter fanboy when he found out the truth.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

You two should have a watch party. Rabbit is pretty good.

Your evidence for a character being a fan of a hypothetical pop culture franchise within the world of Star Wars is... someone modelling a toy after a space pilot?

Like, if someone had a toy soldier, they'd be a Sharpe fan?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

And now you're saying fandom requires purchasing of official merchandise. You'd fit right in at gamefaqs.

You seem to be very confused. You're claiming that a doll modelled after a space pilot is evidence that Star Wars is a set of movies within the Star Wars universe, because it's official merchandise.

A doll that someone appears to have cobbled together in their spare time, out of random trash they had at hand.

I think you just might be a bit dumb.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"The Last Jedi is an unappreciated gem unfairly maligned and slandered by liars! I can't believe you're so mad about it!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

but if the republic is trump i thought snoke was trump???

Everything is Trump. You think that's air you're breathing?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It was incredibly brave and subversive when the heroes of The Last Jedi prioritized their bullshit mission over ending slavery.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The your mom jokes in TLJ are good and there should be more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
False. Captain Mical will be Hux's old flame, throwing a wrench into his sadomasochistic relationship with Kylo Ren.