Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, I was replying to this:

quote:

Qui Gon himself is presented as a heroic figure throughout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Stop posting while I'm posting!!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

She knows her way around the palace. That knowledge is instrumental in capturing Gunray when they are alone in the throne room.

The body double is also used as a decoy to separate Gunray from his guards

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

My appreciation of attack of the clones increased massively when my son watched it and gasped in delight at yoda showing up at the end

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

TheLoquid posted:

Well typically people point to Leia describing her mother to Luke. Or Obi Wan not knowing that there's another Skywalker.

Obi Wan did know there was another Skywalker. It was him who told Luke about her

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

My favourite is the red letter media videos showing a bunch of clips specifically contrasting prequel Yoda's wise mystic sayings against Obi-Wan saying "this weapon is your life" and such, with the point being that the prequels are bad for getting it wrong. I think at one point they literally show Mace Windu saying "we're keepers of the peace not soldiers" and then cut to the Jedi fighting in a war at the end, as if to point out a plot hole. And these guys love movies!!

I once saw a dude talking about TLJ say "did you notice how at the start Luke scoffs at the idea of facing down the First Order with his laser sword, then at the end that's exactly what he does" in a smug sort of "Rian Johnson is an idiot" way. Like uh, yeah I did, that was on purpose

E: also The Editing Room said that Luke being born before Leia introduced a continuity error in the original movies, and I never understood what that meant at all

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Leia finds out that her father was the man who brutally tortured and was complicit in murdering her whole planet is her father but also I don't know if she even knows that?

oh crap, I never noticed that. I don't think Luke would tell anyone?? Leia found out Darth Vader was her father offscreen after the movie was done!?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Snoke wasn't 100% clear on what the Republic even was, Hux eventually had to say "OK, the Resistance is supported by the government. The government is called the Republic. We are going to blow the Republic up. That is to say, we are going to blow up the government." and then Snoke was like "excellent, and then the Resistance will be easy pickings"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It's almost as if things weren't that well thought through.

You say this at the end of a post thoughtfully critiquing the ideology of the Jedi based on textual evidence... the movies may be better thought through than you're giving them credit for!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think a bigger issue was that the first movie was loaded with implication. Who's this Snoke guy who just appears and gets mad? He doesn't do anything so something about him must be a mystery that'll be answered later. What's with Rey's parents, why did they abandon her in a slave pen? Ooh I bet there'll be a cool answer to that in the next movie. What's Luke been up to all this time? Can't wait for the next movie to explain that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Jedi would refer to him as Darth Sidious, because to them his Sith title is his true identity

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If I only had the photoshop chops, I'd make a version of that poster that's just "thing you said you like" in those 10 fonts

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

You see these big bombers? They are slow. In space.

I know, I know - science doesn't work in Star Wars. I've said that before - don't think too hard but come on.

How fast you are in space is important in the setting, see episode 4:

OBI-WAN: is your ship fast enough to outrun a star destroyer?

HAN: [rubbing neck, laughing nervously, sweating, not making eye contact] Yes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well, it was "hope our allies save our rear end" until their allies pussied out

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If the First Order stripmined the planet to finance its military, i guess that means a part of the First Order other than the military was doing it? Like they have civilian laborers or something as well

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

i'm reasonably certain that a military organization could strip a planet of anything of value

yes but "the military stripmined the planet to fund its military" is an unintuitive way to say it, unless the First Order isn't just a military organization

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Man, wouldn't the Republic main planet being Hosnia instead of Coruscant be so much cooler if it was because Coruscant joined the First Order and was now their main planet

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hell, he only says 70% of those words

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Episode 3 introduces the power to create life and prevent death

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Clones is cool. I probably like Phantom Menace/Return Of The Jedi least, out of the pre-Disney ones

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

it actually looks like War Of The Worlds

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I like the bit in The Phantom Menace right before the opening scrawl tells you the film is about tax disputes

The film isn't about tax disputes. It's about a planet being invaded by an army of robots with laser guns and deadly battleships.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Robot Style posted:

The music in AOTC also definitely suffered from John Williams scoring four different movies in 2002 - The speeder chase in Star Wars and the Quidditch match in Harry Potter even used nearly identical music.

2005 was also a busy year for Williams, and I definitely remember people thinking that clips from Episode III were using temp tracks due to how generic the music was.

He pulled off a classic for the climax of episode 3, that's the main thing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Guardians Of The Galaxy is a charming movie about a gang of plucky underdogs on a quest to provide the military with a weapon of mass destruction. It's like if Luke's mission in Star Wars was to give the Death Star plans to the Empire

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

YouTube killed my video of all of them lmao

There was one of Independence Day where instead of the alien mothership blowing up it's the twin towers collapsing, cut to the president going "he did it! The son of a bitch did it!" nowhere to be found now :smith:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Harrison Ford in Episode 9 is the same thing as whatever Kevin Costner was supposed to be in BvS, because I guess if you have 3 months to write the script, you just start reusing scenes from other movies.

Totally forgot Chris Terrio wrote episode 9! I wonder if he was going through wookiepedia trying to figure out if any two extant characters' parents had the same name

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm not certain about Kylo, but Adam Driver is great

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I listened to some of it while pottering about, it's mostly about the cartoon. Seems ok, but hasn't said anything special. It might have said something special about the cartoon but I skimmed that because I didn't watch it

E: lmao BIG liberal weepy tears at the end. Palpatine is a warning about both Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders. Never mind!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 4, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Holdo thing is just a suicide attack. There have already been suicide attacks in Star Wars

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You just need the film itself to know why it wouldn't be common. It takes like 30 seconds to power up (it's actually a minute of onscreen time, but a lot of different scenes are shown that are happening simultaneously) and this is a life or death situation where every second counts. The ship might only survive long enough to jump because they thought it was empty and didn't bother firing on it until the last moment. The blast on impact is about the size of the attacking ship, and that impact releases a bunch of destructive energy but so does a regular missile or a laser beam.

Anyway, Star Wars broke space combat in the very first movie with the existence of tractor beams. Why are you sending out fighters against the X-wings, Tarkin? Just shoot them with the tractor beam!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Nodoze posted:

This video is wrong and just grasping at straws.

He says she didn't know what she was doing, only trying to distract them not actually take the ship out. IF that was the case, and keep in mind that the novelizations of the movie are ONLY cannon when they line up with what is shown on screen in the films, then they just undermined the poo poo out of her by having her gamble on bad odds exactly like she just admonished and called Poe a traitor for. There is literally nothing shown on screen that says she doesn't know what she is doing. I just watched the scene again, she sees what is happening and turns the ship around and leans back in the chair and sighs because she knows what she has to do and then lets it rip. If she were actually just guessing then it's bad writing. Not that that is new to this movie by this point, but lets continue..

Hux AND the other ship captain (?) know exactly what she is doing because as soon as she turns the ship around they immediately go NO and order the crew to unload on the ship and try to destroy it before she can execute the move.

When they cut to the escape pod and show Connix and Poe watching Holdo turn the ship around Connix says to Poe that she thinks Holdo is running but he knows what is going on and says no she isn't. So Poe also knows

Everything we see on screen contradicts the video explanation. The other thing is that when told the ship is preparing to hyperspace jump Hux correctly calls out that the ship is empty and it didn't matter. It's only when she turns around and faces them he knows what is actually happening. So if Hux, the other admiral, and Poe all know what is going on then it stands to reason that Holdo does as well. Especially since there is nothing shown on screen to 100% clearly show she is unsure it will work. It is framed as this was always her plan, to quite literally go down with the ship.

This is why this movie sucks, and why this whole scene is stupid. It's a cool big explosion set piece that visually looks amazing. But when you stop and think about it logically it just falls apart. It's just Rian Johnson wanting to do a thing because it looked cool and consequences be damned. They realized this afterward too once people started going hey wait a second and in Rise of Skywalker they tried to retroactively explain it with away with a throwaway line of "well it's just a one in a million move". So not only did Johnson gently caress up all past and future space battles with this, the throwaway explanation as a middle finger to Johnson fucks up THAT movie because now Holdo just looks even more like a clueless rear end in a top hat by literally betting everyones safety on a million to one odds that she won't just jump clean through hyperspace away leaving them all to die. That is what would have happened too, because as previously established Hux knows the ship is empty and if she hyperspace jumps out it doesn't matter.

This loving movie :negative:

Jesus.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The rules of the low-speed chase are "we can hyperjump one more time but if we hyperjump the baddies will know where we've gone and chase us" they don't preclude hyperjumping at the baddies

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

Why can't the First Order jump ahead of them and trap them? They have enough ships.

If they did that the rebels would simply turn slightly in a different direction

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That could have ruled actually. Skip the spaceflight and get the rebels safely to the fortress on Crait. At some point reveal that the "fortress" is actually a hyperspace-capable capital ship, and at the end Holdo activates the engines, takes off and rams the empire. "Oh no! She's entering hyperspace within a planetary atmosphere! [Explodes]". Now the rebels are just stuck alone in the snow to be hunted down like dogs, cue Luke

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I watched Rise Of Skywalker, and I'm sure the first time I watched it someone said something like "red 5 is transmitting" when Rey is flying Luke's X-wing but I didn't hear it this time. Possibly I just missed it (God knows the drat thing goes a mile a minute) but I wonder if they updated it for streaming to remove "red 5" (possibly confusing to new viewers) and replace it with "Luke's old x-wing" (everyone knows who Luke is!)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Nodoze posted:

It invalidates space battles now because what's to stop either side from just making dense drone cruisers to just hyperspace ram anything they want to kill.

For the same reason they didn't already just have a load of tractor beams to trap enemy ships helplessly in space, used photon torpedoes instead of nuclear weapons, and clustered up close together instead of shooting lasers at each other from hundreds or thousands of miles away. It's established that a regular-rear end ship can reach the speed of light or close to it (there's no way the Falcon could have gotten to Bespin from Hoth otherwise) so why didn't they blow up the death star by just accelerating some missiles to relativistic speed?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It would make sense for them to not have shields because they're clearly incredibly expensive to produce (the entire death star only has like a dozen TIE fighters available to defend it at the end of episode 4) so they'd want to cut corners anywhere they can

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The rebels fire an ion cannon at a star destroyer and it goes down instantly. So why aren't all their ships equipped with ion cannons? Why didn't they just fire ion cannons at the death star to stop it firing?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

this is absurdly tedious but you think it's really clever lmao

(the ion cannon is a massive ground-based installation that can only ranges as far as low orbit)

Strap some engines to it and now it's a space-based installation. Anyway yes it is tedious, picking holes in the logistics of space opera technology always is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They did that in I think Babylon 5? Just orbital-bombarded a whole civilisation into submission by using mass drivers to throw asteroids at them