Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Covok posted:

Alright, so, I decided to scroll back just to see what the general buzz was and I find it hilarious how many people are confused about Darth Maul.

nobody's "confused". dude got cut in half and he fell down a shaft. you don't survive that. it's dumb they brought him back.

Mike N Eich posted:

Kylo Ren is easily EASILY the best thing about the new trilogy

correct.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that does not surprise me in the least.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

darth maul's design was comical even when i was a teenager.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that was "the design was bad even to a lame teenager".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he’s even dumber now that I’m an adult so the opposite of what you said.

my far more cynical friend dressed as him for the premiere you idiot lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

This had to be the best star wars movie ever.

And it was the worst!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

$185-195 mil opening weekend is not very good when this is the finale of a trilogy

It's pretty bizarre that every movie in this trilogy has also had a smaller opening than the previous one. That's not what is supposed to happen.

I would also imagine that this movie will have short legs and probably a steep drop after this weekend.

I mean Force Awakens would've easily been the highest grossing movie of all time if China gave a poo poo about Star Wars so that was inevitable.

Martman posted:

I guess the main sign that time has passed is that Rey is better at making rocks float...

There's so much dumb poo poo in this movie I forgot about that until I read your post.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I honestly didn't hate the idea of Palpatine being an undying evil who was secretly pulling the strings to create new apprentices in the first two films. But that didn't feel very compatible with him having the resources to very easily subjugate and/or destroy the entire universe on his own. It rendered not just TLJ but also TFA completely pointless.

It would've still been kinda silly but I woulda been fine with him being a ghost haunting the Death Star ruins but being a physical body on some other world where he built an unseen massive fleet is too stupid for words.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I always hated that poo poo in the EU so it didn't help with thinking the movie wasn't dumb as hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dishwasher posted:

"The power to blow up a planet is nothing compared to the power of the Force."

That's didn't mean you could literally destroy planets with the Force.

lmao at saying it's debatable Return oft he Jedi is better than this. That is a level of brokebrain I didn't think was possible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dishwasher posted:

And you'll find many people have problems with ROTJ, less/more issues with every other Star Wars movie (some you'll agree and disagree with), and a whole bag of other different opinions different from yours. I know! :aaaaa: But nah, keep calling people broke-brained. It won't change my particular opinion. Stop bringing down the vibes. :)

This movie was awful and Return of the Jedi has the most emotionally powerful scenes in the entire franchise despite being the weakest of the original films.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Sith Troopers are in it for so little time you don't even see how dumb their helmets are. I just assumed they;d just have normal helmets that were red.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cuntman.net posted:

extremely impressed that jj threw off the shackles and used his newfound freedom to make the least creative thing possible

This might be the laziest movie I've ever seen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JJ is a lazy hack is the answer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

If Rey's force healing Kylo's gut also got rid of his scar does it also reverse a circumcision

I assume the reylo fandom will sort this out when they are done being mad that Rey didn't take the Solo name

Star Wars long predates the invention of circumcision.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

riseofmydick posted:

Wow this movie did really bad at the box office.

Almost 400 million is bad?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The movie's dumb as hell but I think it's pretty clear he picked them up and stabbed them on the ship. Also lmao that they find his ship on ANOTHER desert planet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pick posted:

Oh, sorry, Ben Solo. I didn't see TLJ though.

We knew his true name was Ben Solo from Force Awakens. Han yells "BEN!" before he gets shanked.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What was the super important thing that Finn wanted to tell Rey?

At the last scene where they hug I was thinking uhh did JJ forget to have Finn tell Rey he loved her?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

(based on some stupid comic book, not necessarily supported by the movies)

The bad movies imply Palpatine created Anakin during the squid opera scene.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

I think ROTS leans more in the way that Darth Plagueis did that, not Palpatine.

I had assumed Palpatine made Plagueis up but naturally there had to be some book about how he was a real guy actually because every tiny little thing has to be overexplained.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

It's possible that he made him up, but I think the movie leaves the question whether Anakin was created by the force or by the sith lords kinda ambiguous. On the one hand, you have Palpatine's story accompanied by the images of an egg being fertilized. On the other hand, Palpatine later reveals that he was bullshiting Anakin about the power to cheat death. If he actually knew how to create new life, why do it just once? I always assumed that Palpatine was talking about an ability that he didn't actually have.

There's also the fact that Anakin was supposed to actually be the chosen one who was supposed to bring balance to the force (according to Lucas) which is difficult to reconcile with him being created by a sith lord that he is supposed to destroy. It would be a nice irony of course.

Oh I didn't want to give the impression it was coherent.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

TFA and TLJ both feel like unspoken remakes of ANH and ESB. At least ROS didn't keep with that. It didn't really keep with anything but lol.

What. It's Return of the Jedi. Rey finds out she's from an evil lineage and the Emperor tries to tempt her by showing all her friends are in trouble in a giant space battle.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even I liked Last Jedi it ends forty minutes after it should have which is a mistake JJ repeated.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait, can someone explain to me why the death star ruins ever were lost in the first place?

"Can someone explain to me why" can preface at least 90 percent of the poo poo in this movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boxman posted:

Johnson wrote a bad star war but he isn't a bad writer on balance. Looper and Knives Out were good

Yeah though I did describe Last Jedi as "clearly written by the guy that put unnecessary telekinesis in his time traveling hitmen movie" when a friend wanted my spoiler free take.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The guy who fixed Kylo Ren's helmet straight up was just a chimp. What up with that?

He had long ears gosh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gohmak posted:

It did no such thing.

It sure did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cuntman.net posted:

as someone who dislikes this movie and the sequels: i doubt it

Well you were wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm not hallucinating when I remember them saying Carrie Fisher had finished filming her scenes for this movie before she died right? Because it's clear they edited footage from the previous movies and she didn't film a second for this one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The movie doesn't really "explain" it since there's no way to explain away falling down a shaft, being blown up, and then the station it happened on blowing the gently caress up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

The thread is coming down unexpectedly hard on babu frik. There's no patience for him to be had here. I don't like it but I accept it

Babu is the only good part of the movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PT6A posted:

The thing about the reaction to this film versus episodes 8 and 9 is that, far more this time around, it seems like both the people who liked the film and didn't like the film, generally agree on what the major problems with the film are and just disagree about how "bad" that makes the movie. Like, I can fully accept a lot of the criticisms, but they didn't bother me to the point I didn't enjoy the movie.

The only people who are outright crazy are the folks crying that Rey was somehow ruined by being a Palpatine.

It was more interesting that she was a nobody. It was one of the good bits from Last Jedi.

I could sorta understand people liking Last Jedi even if I thought it was bad but I legitimately can't grasp people enjoying this one. It's turbo dumb from the opening scenes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did everyone making the show forget Boba Fett died.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

There was very little reason to believe anyone in star wars was actually dead even before disney wars reduced it to actual zero

I actually forgot they brought Darth Maul back with robot legs for the cartoon or whatever. How loving dumb lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Darko posted:

Thats a bad on paper turned out awesome thing.

I'm not watching a prequel cartoon so I guess I'll never know. It did make me laugh out loud in Solo though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

Cheapen? How? AOTC is phenomenal.

CD never fails.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 9, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

This just reminds me that in the cinematic dagwood style poo poo sandwich that is ROS there is a second of mark and carrie's faces painted onto young bodies for some reason

Man those sequel films really liked doing flashbacks

Sometimes I forgot one of the 200 insanely stupid things in the movie but then it rises to the top on my mind and I get to laugh again at it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

galagazombie posted:

Lol the new issue of the Darth Vader comic just revealed that Snoke is Luuke, complete with being grown from Luke's severed hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rise of Skywalker was already incredibly stupid it would've livened things up to go even dumber with the Luke hand thing.