Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah. Lucas had him cut in half specifically so that people wouldn't bring him back.

And then brought him back in the animated series he oversaw and for which he signed off on all creative :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Dave Syndrome posted:

On another note, do we have any statements from the creature designers about what happened to the other Wookiees' faces? They looked really weird and apish, like someone didn't have the time or money to apply enough fake fur to them. Were they supposed to have been, I don''t know, shaved at some point as a sign of their enslavement? Or chafed off by the work in the mines? You never saw them up close and always out of focus and in passing, but even so you could tell that something was very off about them. I usually buy the "visual dictionary" books because I love looking at the costume and prop details - is there anything in the book about them?

Given the rest of the alien designs i figure lord & miller just asked for "wookies but kinda weird/grotesque". Chewie is a bishie wookie but the rest were all creepy looking.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Zorba the Hutt

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
All the big sites are saying the spinoffs that were rumored are not cancelled (ie boba Fett obi) but that a movie based on the most eisley cantina was cancelled\halted. Which if true is hilarious.

Where's my tales from the mos eisley cantina movie Kathleen!!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I would have expected a safer, blander film from a committee.

To me it feels like they let Johnson do whatever he wanted within some very broad boundaries, which is why he completely ignored the setup JJ did for some things (notably Snoke, Rey's parents) and why he wasn't willing to kill his darlings and cut some stuff that needed to be cut.

i feel like jj setup reys parentage to go either way because hes a mystery box creator. i came out of tfa most expecting her to be a nobody based on her conversation with maz.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I can't be the only one to notice the distinct lack of "Episode 7" and "Episode 8" on any merchandise, or even mentioned anywhere after the official titles were announced (in direct contrast to the prequels). They don't want to keep reminding people of how many of the things there are, and if they abandon the numbers entirely after 9 then it would make it that much easier to just poo poo them out from now until forever.

im feel like this happened with the prequels? episode 1 is the only one i refer to by numerical the others are aotc and rots and i honestly dont recall them being referred to by their numericals on toys and advertisements.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Mooey Cow posted:

The episode number definitely had emphasis at the time. Everyone talked about them using the number until their "real" title was revealed some time before release.

yea on the poster and before release of the name for sure im talking about after on the merch and how it was discussed by fans. even on these here forums im pretty sure they get referred to more as their titles.

also lol does anyone remember when they revealed aotc title and everyone was like uhhhhhhhhhjnnhhhhhh

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The posters for the PT all have small star wars, big episode numerical, followed by smaller subtitle. The OT all had Big subtitle, no numerical. The ST follows the OT stylization but with a much more prominently displayed "Star Wars". I don't think its really evidence that Disney is trying to lose the "episodes" rather than hew closer to the OT styling of poster.

I did like all the PT posters though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Dishwasher posted:

This was a movie that people were ready to accept and celebrate no mater how bad and it pushed even 'those' limits. For all the issues, people walked out of the prequels as well as TFA and R1 pretty jazzed up on opening day. Walking out of the theater for TLJ was like walking out of a funeral. It was like I'd watched the midnight release of Transporter 9 with the sheer amount of indifference and "welp" around.

It got an A cinema score which is surveying ppl coming out of the movie. personally i was psyched coming out of it and my theater seemed to enjoy it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

have people even looked at the scores for other films when they say this

one could look at the prequels, tfa, and rogue one when trying to suggest people somehow felt differently or had a different mood leaving the theater than those films. (they all have As)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Papercut posted:

Is this supposed to be an endorsement of your position? Lol

im responding to a point about audience enthusiasm for TLJ vs as cited, the other films & the prequels. It is supposed to be amazing that ppl left the theater and were more excited for the prequels than TLJ. TLJ had a higher cinemascore (A vs -A) than the prequels, but they were still all pretty well liked by audiences.

I honestly dont get the "dont care what happens next" sentiment that many TLJ detractors have. I love that Kylo is now the supreme leader and i want to see more of that. An organization as ruthless and destructive as the Empire in the hands of a hot head & his sniveling lt. Adam Driver & Daisy Ridley's bits of TLJ were my favorite and them as connected figures on opposite ends of a star war is cool.

I wanna see Luke's force ghost, how the resistance is going to rebuild, Kylo's redemption, how that defeats the FO, etc

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i shall click your link, knave, but know that any viruses you give me will only make me stronger

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Harime Nui posted:

I am technologically illiterate enough to now be worried that's a thing I could inadvertently do :ohdear:

ok having received your brain virus i will let you know that i liked some of your ideas like luke loving with kylo but not knowing if its really lukes ghost or just kylos dementia, rey training younglings to just do whatever man, and poe attempting to nuke kylo from orbit. i didnt like that the antagonists are ostensibly all the alien races as they are opposed to both of the main character groups and i dont like that you nuke hux. i realize he could be back in act 2 but still, dont nuke my beautiful sniveling boy

how do you think theyd portray rey and kylo smashing? maybe they should force smash instead of physically smash. and then they make a new anakin and rey goes to live on tatooine 😬

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Folks theres lots of rumors that both jakku AND tatooine will be in ep9. and the title is Star Wars Episode 9: Revenge of the Jimjov

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...-this-fall.html

the game of thrones bros first movie is set in the old republic time period apparently to "capitalize on game of thrones"(???)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Rey: Who are you?
Will: Hey uh Im Will, of the force

*me watching star wars will of the force whenever will comes on screen*. thats will, of the force

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Kerri Russel's BHer looks straight out of the prequels, I dig the blasters

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i want chewie to survive, its cool that hes seen the PT, the OT, and the ST just like the droids and is also one of the greatest living fighter pilots, warrior, hero of multiple wars, etc

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

pospysyl posted:

I for one am looking forward to Billy Dee Williams referencing the events of Solo.

Over / Under (classic goon usage here) on Lando saying "This is worse than Kessell!!" or doing the "little maneuver from the battle of tanaab" with the falcon

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Jenny Nicholson talked about the park aspect which is that disney has limited the types of annual passholders from being able to visit and restricted employees as well. Apparently DL has a big AP holder culture there and once that's lifted it will be crowded. honestly the fact you can visit and not have it be crowded and suck is a huge incentive. I want to go back just because of that. The restricted visiting combined with people naturally holding off thinking it would be crowded has made it a nice time to visit. Sheeeeit.

As for the saber thing one of my LEDs on the blade stopped transmitting red so it had a little discolored spot and Disney customer service sent me a new blade free of charge. One of those tweets about the saber making noises is because its "always on" if the batteries are in, cuz it makes sounds when you remove or insert the crystal\blade.

that whole post hurt my brain

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 7, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
When i lived in Florida i got a florida resident epcot pass that was only good after 4 pm and it was pretty cheap :v: I lived 15 minutes away so it was fun to pop in and check poo poo out on a whim

Tickets when i went to Disneyland for star wars land cost me 700 dollars for 2 days. If i lived close enough to go more than 4 times a year Id consider an AP. The 20% discount is not insignifcant too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Preston Waters posted:

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO SPEND $700 ON lovely DISNEYLAND, MOTHERFUCKER?

:mad:

it was good that it was smaller and shittier than Disney world, it owns actually

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I like the trooper and i like that they are red.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I like the helmet, the texturing caused by the lines is cool. Its like a FO and Clone helmet had a baby.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's confusing as hell, they decided to create a whole part of the park not based of the locales of the OT, but the ST then it's based of some location we've never seen and probably won't ever see? Why would I want to go to that? It's an area that has nothing that's attached to anyone save for a couple ship that are parked outside that you can't enter.

Also I think the dumbest part of the whole area in Disneyland is that there's a single ride and everything else is just a store where you can buy stuff. I mean, I understand having a bunch of Star Wars merch to sell in themed stores... but people go to theme parks primarily for the rides. Why isn't there 4 or 5 rides to enjoy? I mean poo poo, give me some Podracing, maybe group 4v4 TIE Fighter and X-Wing battles, the loving trench run.

Galaxy's Edge is basically the OG Star Tours line concept but as an entire land. Its great. The point of it is the immersion factor, which is why they made it a new planet. That way they can do story stuff specific to it and change things if they want and it gets to feel "living" without ruining whatever canon bullshit exists on any other planet. They really did an awesome job at it, and while it only has 1 ride now its going to have 2. The thing I like about the rides vs any other theme park land ride is they are designed to fit into the immersive experience. I think having "pod racer kiddie coaster" or "snow speeder bumper cars" could be amusing but would make the whole thing seem like a theme park rather than STAR WARS. Once Rise of the Resistance opens this year its gonna be loving sick that ride sounds bonkers.

I get a lot of the cynicism in this thread with Disney owning star wars and clearly wanting to make a buck off it, but Star Wars land does rule. And they didn't even get rid of Star Tours or The Launch Bay! You can see characters there too and ride Star Tours, which is better than the Falcon ride! (Although the Falcon line has some great ambient stuff with radio banter between Hondo's crew, it is better than the star tours line)

There is an App for Disneyland that you can use in Galaxys Edge that turns your phone into a "datapad" and you can take missions from star wars ppl in the resistance or the first order and they will have you running around scanning stuff. Im not doing that as an adult but it seems really cool for kids. Honestly the entire land is cool for kids, I wish I had it when I was a kid. Hollywood studio's fake endor bunker & the star tours entrance were all I had and that was cool. This is 1 million times cooler.

They were never going to be able to deliver ALL of the iconic locations you'd want to visit from Star Wars (like lets get real, had they made one it would have been Tatooine straight up), so they eschewed it for something they could go wild with without breaking the existing story telling of star wars & give them a chance to mess around. It really works. The costuming for the employees is great, the characters wandering around is cool, and the land itself is full of details, lighting, and ambient sounds.

Anyone on the fence about it who can afford to go to Disney should give it a try. It beats any of the universal IOA / Studios lands & any of the existing Disney park lands.

AlternateAccount posted:

This is so astonishingly cringe. $200 for some plasticky plumbing fixtures from Home Depot and high-school drama club level performances. Tiny kid me would eat it right up, but to see a room full of grown-rear end adults...

I liked it! The lightsaber is metal pieces over a plastic electronic sheath for the batteries and the blade connector. Its incredibly sturdy and is worth the price compared to the "Force FX" sabers that were $100+ at Target. I will 100% buy a 2nd one when they announce that the "scavengers" found new pieces and they increase the customization.

thrawn527 posted:

They have a FastPass system that cuts down on the lines, basically scheduling a time you can ride a ride and wait in a really short line instead. One that I'm shocked other theme parks haven't adopted yet. (Universal Studios here in Orlando lets guests who stay in one of three of their hotels use their hotel key to skip the line, but that makes the trip even more expensive because it's the three most expensive hotels they run.)

It should be noted, however, that the Falcon ride currently doesn't allow FastPasses (and won't in Orlando for a while either). They said they'll add it later.

Universal had a fastpass, it was called Express Pass and I was on the Express Team circa 2007. They slowly phased it out as a free service and started selling 36 dollar booklets with express passes pre printed inside. Hotel key card users could always get in the line. Eventually they reduced the # of express pass machines & personnel and my job basically changed to "wander around an area sweeping up trash & helping guests" which mostly meant hanging in various ride break rooms & drinking free soda from the vendor girls. Twister had the best break room FYI.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 13, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Flavius Aetass posted:

he has a blaster amd stormtrooper armor. I wonder what he does :thunk:

Get smoked by Poe Dameron whos gonna say something like "They come in red now?!"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I don't get the no hook after TLJ criticism. There's very little of JJ's mystery box hooks left from TFA but there is just as much "hook" as like ESB to ROTJ or AOTC to ROTS in that there is more story and we have not seen the final resolution between the factions & characters.

- Whats Rey gonna do now that she is carrying the Jedi legacy
- How will the resistance rebuild
- How will the First Order be defeated
- How is Kylo going to handle being supreme leader
- Whats gonna happen with kylo / between kylo & rey
- Paying off Luke's noble sacrifice
- What will a hard committed Finn bring to the resistance

Those are as interesting or not as your opinion of the movies probably goes but they're not absent. Things are arguably worse than where we leave off in ESB, and there's more presumed chaos at the top of each faction. That's interesting to me. And with a time skip (which every OT movie had), there are tons of possibilities for picking it back up. They could have gone full EU & had Rey with a bunch of jedi padawans to add more lightsaber poo poo. Kylo could be the head of a unified FO ruling the galaxy or the leader of a fractured FO full of infighting or as someone that isnt even sure he wants to rule the FO. Come on the rebellions greatest hero sacrificed himself to give the resistance a fighting chance at saving the galaxy how is that not pumping your imagination for a sequel!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 15, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

Things are a lot worse unless they forgot to tell us about a secret Resistance fleet somewhere

The OG Rebellion had the entire fleet it threw at the 2nd Death Star

This Resistance has 17 people in the Falcon’s lounge

the rebels looked like poo poo in ESB, the rotj time skip was kind to them where they got a massive cap ship fleet and 2 entire brand new fighter types.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I cant really be mad at those spoilers if they turn out to be true. they seem like they will give us some epic star warsing and nothing there is lamer than any of the stupid plot points from the prequels (most of them).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
thats just stupid enough to go around from bad back to extremely good.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Disney and co were actually precient about their politics but they chose not to explain any of it in the movies.

they have the new republic facing the threat of rising fascism which is actively ignored due to a combination of complicit senators and desire to maintain galactic "decorum" even as the enemy exploits that weakness to build business ties and fuckin entire planets up in the ungoverned space beyond the Republic. they should have explained that more in the movies instead of leaving it to the comics and books and tv shows

meanwhile the only ones standing up to them are the resistance fighters.

its the age of antifa

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRaTykUteTM

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
how do you cast lupita and then turn her into a little gremlin and also not decide to include her throughout the entire movie she rules.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Maz is on the side of the workers in the union dispute, she's shooting scabs. This is canon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

garycoleisgod posted:

But it's her bar, she can just not hire scabs!

The union dispute is not in her business, her bar was blown up by the first order (also note she worked her own bar, she is a gremlin of the people)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Kart Barfunkel posted:

She ain’t of the people. I didn’t see her pour no drinks. There’s a giant statue of her on top of the building, drat it! Guillotine!

Her first appearance in non-statue form is literally her bussing a table of empty glasses!!

ok she might have hired the scabs but look she regrets it and is pro-union labor

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLe...tm_source=share

Im fine with this

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
chewie doesnt explode its a fake out

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
folks, everyone wants to gently caress babe yoda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

TerminalRaptor posted:

What bothers me is if they were going to go this route, why introduce these characters at all? It's a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. They could have had the events a hundred years after ROTJ and story wise it would have made more sense. You could even still have Luke appear as a force ghost if you were so insistent on tying the trilogies together..

Cuz everyone wants to know what becomes of the OT characters, and no one can fall back on George Lucas smugly saying "they died" because that mfer made a movie about a baby boba fett.

I think had GL made the prequels unrelated to the OT characters but maybe thematically linked, you'd have seen Disney step out more (maybe). But instead I think they felt obligated to make the mainline star wars related, which means continuing stories.