Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Kevin Palpatine posted:

there actually were bulletin board discussions about esb and rotj in the 80s (what did yoda mean "there is another skywalker?" etc) I posted a bunch of them on a forum once but I can't find them anymore. maybe google ate them after a while

Search the archives of usenet.

On second thought, don't, it's like visiting Pinhead's lair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

banned from Starbucks posted:

Does TV not exist in the star wars universe? Or cameras? Or any kind of recorded history? Like I've never seen a lot of things in person but I know they exist. Also there's gotta be a ton more force users out there than just Jedi since the Jedi themselves straight up admit once you're past a certain age they just don't care about bringing you into the fold. The idea that Han never saw TMZ footage of a Jedi slicing off a dude's head on space tv is kinda dumb

That would be a interesting way of showing just how alien a world the Star Wars universe is. They have advanced technology, but outside of novelty chess sets, they don't have visual entertainment as a thing. Basically the 19th century, but with droids.

The Holiday Special argues against this, but take it for what it is.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CharlestonJew posted:

why did they give Finn a new love interest? did Finn get officially friendzoned by Rey or something?

Because Disney is too conservative to show Finn and Poe in a loving, mutually respectful relationship. Finn is totally Rey's gay best friend.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mecha Gojira posted:

The weirdest thing about New Star Wars is the emphasis on things rather than characters. Like the Millennium Falcon being center-stage, close-ups of Anakin's lightsaber, the loving dice in the cockpit that you couldn't even loving see if you were watching the movies on VHS back in 1995. Compare Rey discovering Anakin's lightsaber to Obi Wan giving that same saber to Luke. There's close-ups of the prop that lead to visions. Meanwhile, Luke just loving swings it around like it's an old toy. Honestly, that's the most jarring thing about the new trilogy versus the old.

It's so companies can sell 1:1 prop replicas to fan boys. For example, fanboys obsessed over what kind of boots Harrison Ford wore in Raiders of the Lost Ark, zooming in on freeze frames when his shoes were shown. Eventually it was determined that they were Alden 405s. Compare this to Crystal Skull where his boots are given an clear close up in the first sequence he shows up in.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So far the Sequel Trilogy has felt like the Hobbit movies. I watched the first one because I liked the earlier movies, I watched the 2nd one because I wanted to see where the story was going, but I skipped the 3rd one and I've got the same feeling about Episode IX. Nothing in TLJ is enticing me to see where the story goes next.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I like how all of you think that the 3rd movie is going to resolve anything instead of just setting up endless sequels. You can't make more money from Rey and Co. if their story is over.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

It is sexist to judge lady in the workplace for wearing lady clothes.

She's a military officer. She's supposed to be wearing a uniform unless the Resistance has Casual Fridays.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

TLJ is a fictional movie.

Oh, so it doesn't have to have consistent internal logic?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

General solo wore an army uniform in ROTJ

(He didn’t)

Solo is a "captain" in the sense that Jack Sparrow is.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

The picture you posted isn’t from a Star Wars movie

Not sure what this point is you are making

It's a picture of a woman who is an officer in the Navy. She looks professional and that she belongs on the bridge of a ship. If she was wearing an evening dress no one would assume she was in the command structure. I used a picture of an actual uniform as it was easier to find.

Have you even been following the conversation?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Also maybe Holdos outfit is a uniform in her culture?

What culture is she from?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Holdo doesn’t look professional now ?

No, she doesn't.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Lmao. That’s what I thought.

Well, I'm glad we're in agreement.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Other than her appearance what is not military about her

Assuming her appearance isn’t military for arguments sake

Her attitude towards her subordinates is condescending, she created a toxic command climate, and she failed to share key pieces of information of the operation with people who would have to support it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Asgerd posted:

But has Han Solo ever punched a giant cat alien?

Kirk has, making him superior to Solo.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Yeah, the movie's situation is consistent with the opening crawl, it's just not consistent with the previous movie.

TLJ Opening Crawl posted:

Episode VIII
THE LAST JEDI
The FIRST ORDER reigns.
Having decimated the peaceful
Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke
now deploys the merciless
legions to seize military
control of the galaxy.

Only General Leia Organa's
band of RESISTANCE fighters
stand against the rising
tyranny, certain that Jedi
Master Luke Skywalker will
return and restore a spark of
hope to the fight.

But the Resistance has been
exposed. As the First Order
speeds toward the rebel base,
the brave heroes mount a
desperate escape....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The bigger question is what was Princess Leia resisting in TFA?

TFA Opening Crawl posted:

Episode VII
THE FORCE AWAKENS
Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen from
the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until
Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

With the support of the
REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa