Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think I didn't bring across the 'remake the prequels' joke that it would be the one choice that could piss off absolutely everybody moreso than they already have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Episode 9 is clearly the worst Star War, but it's a Disney Star War which makes it disposable in the same way an Ant Man or a Doctor Strange movie is.

Good or bad, AoTC struck with people in a way that blockbusters rarely do anymore.

I think a big part of it is that it's got the big clones vs droids battle scenes, which the franchise doesn't really have any direct equivalent to, and makes a great launching point for every imaginable war story. (see seen in the various Clone Wars cartoons) And it also has Anakin and Padme's hilariously bad romantic scenes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alchenar posted:

That's one of the things that makes TLJ a decent film in isolation but a terrible middle part of a trilogy. After Hux gets treated as comic relief right the way through TLJ he's not a credible villain anymore, so he has to be replaced by Not-Hux (although I think Grant nails what JJ was looking for originally - there's the sneering superiority that the Imperial Officers had mixed with just a hint of fervent belief, but he's never spitting or shouting).

I remember the captain of the dreadnought at the start had that perfect sneer right when it's blowing up, but that whole sequence is brought down by how it makes zero sense in the context of the rest of the movie, because we all know the problems it has with stakes.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, I think the TFA performance is perfectly valid and Gleeson does exactly what is asked of him, it's just that there's tons of inconsistency throughout the trilogy as to what that character is supposed to be.

(I also think all of the performances compare unfavourably against the dispassionate evil of the Imperial officers in the OT, who contrast nicely with the emotional/cackling evil of Vader/The Emperor).

That's not really a unique problem with the trilogy's characters, mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really amazing that the MCU was apparently more coherently planned out- and it's pretty clear how much they were making poo poo up as they went along- than the Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vim Fuego posted:

SNOKE was the best, I want a SNOKE trilogy. maybe two, one to explain what he was doing before TFA, then a second trilogy composed of TFA from SNOKE's pov, a whole movie of what SNOKE was doing between tfa and tlj, and then finally TLJ from SNOKE's pov

SNOKE SNOKE SNOKE SNOKE

Snoke? Snoke?! SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

MGS ripped Star Wars off a lot. Despite JJ being friends with Kojima, Star Wars only ever had one nod back to MGS with C-3PO's red arm. Star Wars really could have used a Revolver Ocelot.

I've said before that Metal Gear is basically the closest thing to setting Star Wars in the modern day.

And I still like me theory that Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis having barely survived Palpatine's ascension through dark science magic, and/or a clone. I suppose I was semi right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

Darth Maul, Darth Tyranus, General Grievous, et cetera.

Darth Vader is almost literally Dark Father, or if you want to be more literal, Dark Invader

pospysyl posted:

If Akira Toriyama wrote Star Wars Snoke would have brothers or friends named Vaypor, Steem, and Haze.

I just never stop loving loving the Dragon Ball naming schemes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No no, wait

you think you've beaten Snoke, but then there's Fyre!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The dashing rogue who doesn't operate in any organisation is Han Solo

And the guy who has his back is Chewbacca

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

In general, the naming scheme probably isn't a problem. With Star Wars it's either few-syllable nonsense or painfully on the nose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

You probably read it here, or on some equally dubious source. It was some nonsense rumor someone made up that never had any source or backing, and has never made a lick of sense. This isn’t how copyrights or contracts work.

The funny thing is it still makes more sense than why they made the movies the way they are

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, movie sequels and adaptations doing weird workarounds for legal reasons is something we have context for, that we understand. That Spider-man didn't show up in the MCU until Disney made a deal with Sony for the movie rights, that can be argued as silly but it makes sense, there's reasons for it. And it'd make sense if they didn't and the MCU made Arachnoman join the Avengers instead, which would be silly and go over like a lead balloon but it would be for understandable reasons.

Instead though this is like Disney having the movie rights for Spider-man, and the movie acknowledges Spider-man is out there, but instead Arachnoman joins the Avengers, and his real name is Peter Barker, and his Uncle Bem taught him that 'when you're really strong you gotta be really responsible' and none of this is at all played for laughs or joked about at all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

Anyone else read that as anchorman both times?

Well poo poo, now I do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Little Death posted:

I'd like to imagine it was a magic gotcha clause that George inserted in, where he signs over all the rights but if they say the right combination of words everything instantly reverts to him in a CGI lightshow.

The plot to the next National Treasure

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really more that they know they need to do different things to vaguely justify it being a new movie, but they really don't want to and are also incredibly uncreative, so they put new names on things while recycling everything they can and think that'll placate the audience.

The way some movies treat their audience nowadays is just plain weird, having unearned confidence in weird tricks while otherwise treating them as incomprehensible. It's like PUA treatment of women.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pospysyl posted:

What was the final verdict on whether in TFA BB-8 gave Finn an thumbs up or flipped him off?

Both?

I do feel like that sums up the movies in so many ways. Not just that they're so conservative with their language and themes that it's genuinely confusing when they do something without precedent because it seems almost by accident.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Force Awakens doesn’t actually have the same narrative as A New Hope.

There are similar plot points, but it’s actually an inferior remake of Phantom Menace, down to the fact that the comic relief is the protagonist and the villains are all puppets set up by Palpatine to trick the heroes into a fake victory.

People were noting that Rey seemed evil for years, before Part 3 revealed that she’s literally the antichrist & Palpatine actually wants her to rule the Neo New Republic.

This is the funniest option all the more because they clearly desperately wanted to not remind people of the prequels

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It’s even better when you get to the end of TLJ and Luke pulls out his laser sword for the first time in years, beats up his old apprentice who’s actually right about the Republic being bad, and says “begun, the clone wars have!”

All of that is, of course, pretty much exactly what Palpatine wants.

I said that remaking the prequels would be the biggest troll move they could do and didn't consider that they already did

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reylo being gender swapped Anakin and Padme puts everything in a whole new perspective

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The prequels aren't ever gonna be seen as misunderstood masterpieces except by terminally online lunatics but people are definitely coming around to seeing them as camp and funny cultural touchstones.

I don't think the sequels are going to get the same treatment. Just dull, overhyped messes with no imagination but lots of bad pandering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Almost Blue posted:

One of my favorite things in the prequels is how Lucas named the clueless puppeteered bad guys after various Republicans (Nute = Newt Gingrich, Gunray = Reagan, Lott Dodd = Trent Lott).

Might be something to how their accents code them as rather outdated Asian stereotypes but the names are American imperialists, and of course they're basically imperialist capitalism starting a war to increase their profit margins when they already live in opulence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

cargohills posted:

Geogre Lucas

It's like an onion, it has layers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Naboo being Best Planet is probably earned- it's one of the only planets in the movies shown to actually have more than one biome, after all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Technically speaking spice could be legal but restricted, with smuggling occurring to get around tariffs, import restrictions, or exclusive contracts à la tea before the American Revolution.

Star Trek actually has an equivalent of this with Romulan Ale, technically illegal in the Federation but plenty of Starfleet officers have tried it, and there's even implications they turn a blind eye to smugglers. More or less equivalent to Cuban cigars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fight choreography seems almost a lost art, especially in franchise blockbusters.

The best fight in the sequel trilogy is still Finn versus the 'Traitor!' guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded we got a new Smeg kettle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still like the idea that the Rule of Two exists because any more than that and Sith can't turn on each other fast enough. I mostly know TPM from the novelisation, which describes the Sith master-apprentice chain as 'cannibalistic leapfrog'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Palpatine absolutely revels in how much of a fuckup Anakin is that he ends up reforged into a faulty walking iron lung used as his own personal Frankenstein. He seems to be outright playing with how easy it is for him to take over the galaxy, setting up one half to crash into the other and knowing he'll win however the pieces fall. The Clone Wars cartoon (the 2D one) has him get kidnapped by the Seperatists and clearly playing it like a game.

He's like a Borgias figure- the galaxy to him is like an artichoke, to be devoured leaf by leaf.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The weapon props in Star Wars are famously WW2 guns with various bits and greebles attached. Han Solo's pistol is a Mauser with an added scope.

I mostly know that from Payday 2 where a couple of mostly joke weapons are WW2 guns that you can modify to resemble the Star Wars blasters, and there's an achievement for doing so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

It ends on something of a joke, with Anakin - this character who has spent the last three films with his every emotion written all over his gurning face has been transformed, by Palpatine, into an absolute cipher. But we have the "noooooooOOOOooooOOOO" to let us know that he's achieved no inner peace and his fury and dissatisfaction with the status quo haven't gone anywhere.

Yeah, for all the memes that clip inspired, it actually does work to show that despite emerging as the iconic mystical killing machine, there's still that once idealistic young man who's trapped in more ways than one.

ruddiger posted:

I would think it’s more sinister than just “a joke.” Surely, Palpatine is a student of history and knows the standard MO of sith apprentices to betray their master, and with an apprentice as strong as Anakin, of course he’d want a curtailed, controllable version of him that he can utilize and point towards the enemies of the Empire, much like how capitalism co-opts leftist leaders who get gamed by the establishment and end up endorsing the system they once railed against.

And I've said before, the overtones of the Emperor wanting to turn Luke are obvious- he wants to trade in the old and busted Skywalker for the new model.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, the whole thing in RotJ where he takes off his helmet to look at Luke without the helmet for the first and last time, despite knowing it'll kill him.

The Kingfish posted:

In the first thirty minutes of ANH we see Vader preparing to inflict medical torture on a woman. A little later he stands by silently while Tarkin blows up a planet.

Yeah, OT Vader is someone who's internalised murder, torture and atrocities as a part of his day job- of course, as a teenager he wiped out an entire village down to the last child.

And now I'm suddenly thinking of Metal Gear's Raiden. Especially since the franchise is basically a contemporary Star Wars in a lot of ways, with Big Boss as the Vader figure and Raiden being implied to be basically a second Big Boss.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vader's role in the Empire makes sense considering one of his many, many pop culture imitations; the Legate Lanius in Fallout: New Vegas is the post-apocalyptic faux-Romans' chief enforcer, a towering, imposing figure always clad in full body armour and a mask, as much a myth as a man. The Emperor Caesar outright says that Lanius has no love for the Legion, and he considers that one of his most useful attributes, since Lanius won't tolerate the slightest failure or hold back on sending Legionaries to their deaths to achieve his aims.

The Sith thrive on hate, and when the Jedi are believed extinct and the rebels are a scattered few, they're low on enemies to hate, so in Palpatine's wicked cunning he creates a right-hand-monster who hates the Empire, hates reminders of the Republic, hates his boss, and almost certainly hates himself. The idea that his children actually survived is the one bright point in Darth Vader's life he's had for decades, and naturally something the Emperor tries to weaponise ASAP.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

Even by the end of Empire he's torturing Han to place a force phone call with Luke; I don't mean that watching the OT without preconceptions will make Vader into a person who does good things, but it makes him into a person with complex motivations that change over time, rather than "avatar of Imperial force".

The thing is his status as 'avatar of Imperial force' is forced upon him (no pun intended) and no doubt reinforced by his exoskeleton. It's certainly what he's billed as. His self-hatred just makes him more of a weapon.

It also makes his appearance in Rogue One work well, since he considers Krennic to be amusingly pathetic rather than just another incompetent underling, enough to make a dad joke at him. There's no point in killing this guy when he's guaranteed to get himself a much more poetic death. (Which of course, he does)

That also reminds me that Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars is great and everyone itt should watch it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Episode 2 then adds the fact that Vader is putting himself in the role of the intolerable “sandperson” - so imagine an alternate version of Episode 2 where, instead of slaughtering the Tusken, Anakin convinces the Jedi to quit the Republic and join the Raiders in their battle against colonialism.

isn't that basically Dune

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

Star Wars is missing a scene where the Rebel alliance torture someone for information.

Rogue One has this! Kinda.

The Kingfish posted:

It’s should be noted that Vader’s disdain for and undermining of the Empire’s military bureaucracy is entirely in line with a Vader-as-Schutzstaffel interpretation of the films. Vader and Palpatine embody the only two essential roles of a totalitarian authority—the leader and the secret police.

The infighting between branches of authority is also 100% in line with authoritarian and especially fascist governments.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I’m not familiar with Dune

what the loving fucker gently caress

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's hard to say either way without any further context. Vader would have to go out of his way to requisition any changes to his outfit, I imagine, given it's entirely custom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

He's got a little pod on his ship where he can take his helmet off - I don't see why he couldn't swap parts out while he was in there. Or at least switch out the colors if he gets sick of black all the time. Although I guess it does go with everything...

I'm reminded that an AU in the Marvel comics (I think where Luke dies and Leia ends up becoming a Jedi) has Vader survive and switch sides, with a new white suit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dune is a really fun read since it was originally a rebuttal to the trends of sci-fi at the time, including pulp but in particular Asimov's Foundation books, and honestly still pretty much works as well with later sci-fi that were influenced by/heavily ripped it off without bothering to understand the nuances. A big part of that is taking apart the Great Man/superhero myth, pointing out how it's basically indistinguishable from a dictator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vader might be basically Robocop.