Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Emperor stuff in ROTJ is REALLY good, but the Endor stuff brings the whole film down and stops it from being perfect.

I also feel like the movie suffers from making sure every character has something to do at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nurabsal posted:

"After reading the spoilers and watch some reviews, I suspect this time the audience score will be greater than the pro reviewer scores. And that's a good thing. I think it lacks anything SJWs can latch onto, so the pros don't care. So the success of this one will be decided 100% by the fans. Sink or swim. I just don't see it pulling off the fan service of RO, but I bet most fans will be able to enjoy it." -Some Guy (TheForce.Net)

"Several critics who gave it a low score mentioned that if you strip all Star Wars elements form it, it is just an average movie. Well, guess what, you cannot strip Star Wars from a Star Wars movie. So these criticisms for me show a lack of understanding about what Star Wars is." -Another guy

Never change, star wars fans.

So this is definitely a piece of trash movie then?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

disney seems like they're acknowledging the prequels exist but in such a way that doesn't prevent them from leaving the door open to doing new ones

for example, saying in vague terms 'sidious arose and the jedi failed to stop him' and not so much 'anakin's fall happened as demonstrated on-screen and he was played by hayden christensen'

lol no

They aren't going to loving remake the prequels.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cross-Section posted:

Fits with the character :shrug:

Then they should allude to this in the actual text, not say it on Twitter to get hits.

Lando being pansexual would be great. PUT IN THE MOVIE

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

You're saying nothing except contradicting the entire philosophy and origin of what a stormtrooper is. A faceless, disposable grunt. None of them are special, none of them have a unique identity. Even the "elite" Crimson or Shadow stormtroopers are just faceless tools that can be disposed of and forgotten at any time in the face of any threat. It's what is core to the greater philosophy of the Empire, much like the Death Star was a massive superstructure that was only defeated by their own hubris.

People "like" Phasma because they aren't given the critical tools to analyze media beyond surface level references, which is ironically enough what Phasma is - a crappy repeat of Boba Fett, thrown down the trash compactor and everything.

JJ Abrams himself said that Phasma was his favorite character and they had her on the covers of several magazines promoting her as some cool.new character.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Chewie won't die yet. He can be in the fourth trilogy whenever that happens. Disney isn't going to let that one go.

Chewie won't die.

They could put anyone in the suit and it wouldn't matter.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pospysyl posted:

Is it weird how the two spin-off movies go to great lengths to depict the war between the Rebellion and the Empire as all-encompassing, impacting every planet in the galaxy, when the main sequel trilogy doesn't depict their war that way at all?

It's brilliantly subverting established facts about the setting

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Let's take a character whose primary appeal is being mysterious and enigmatic and make a movie filling in every detail of his life!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

Didn't AotC kinda already do that with Jango, what with Boba being a literal clone of him?

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

What're the odds of Boba saying that as well at some point?

Muppet baby boba was terrible too

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Qui Gon was a Jedi Master the same way Wimp Lo was a martial arts expert in Kung Pow; the Jedi Council clearly trained him wrong on purpose, as a joke.

Which is why he's the only one who actually seems to believe in his weird race science midichlorian testing

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know Grievous's coughing was meant to foreshadow Vader's sinister breathing. It came off as kind of goofy rather than creepy most of the time.

It's like poetry, it rhymes. :colbert:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Davethulhu posted:

Help me out thread. I swear I've seen another movie or maybe read a book with a similar basic plot: "Young couple in shady circumstances gets separated, when they get back together years later, the girl has risen to a position of importance in said shady organization." Any ideas?

The Great Gatsby

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lightsaber: A Star Wars Story (2024)

In this exploration into the origins of the iconic

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Bossk is a playable character in Battlefront 2 so clearly a movie is inevitable.

Don't he and Boba Fett have a rivalry of some sort?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is what RLM has done to people's brains.

RLM wasn't all that harsh on TLJ

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm referring to digging up quotes to prove that Star Wars is a conspiracy against its fans.

RLM doesn't do this what are you talking about

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose some of the things people say about Kennedy now about how she "doesn't respect the fans" aren't too different from what they said about Lucas back in 1997 when he said

:v:

I actually found this Guardian article from 2002 which was interesting to read:

(It goes on to relate quotes from his interview, where he explains his approach to making the movies, how he was going for a 1930s style and trying to get "pre-method" performances from the cast, which I think is interesting.)

I think I'd gladly take the prequels over the design by committee mess now.

The prequels were bad, sure, but they still felt like someone's creative vision.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The most frustrating thing about the ST is that I still have no idea what the first order is

How many of them are there? How do they pay for their military? Why doesn't anyone else outside of the fourteen people left in the resistance think that this organization who just blew up a bunch of planets is worth dealing with?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Love dropping important plot threads to trigger the libs.

This is the thing, TLJ just struck me as being written to be intentionally adversarial towards it's audience. Hence Luke's weird rear end in a top hat version of Yoda act.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Preston Waters posted:

And this is what it all boils down to. Almost every complaint about TLJ begins and ends with the fact that it wasn't exactly what the person had in mind. Tough poo poo, time to grow up.

"This movie was poorly written"

"GROW THE gently caress UP SNOWFLAKE"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Papercut posted:

Luke's defining character trait in the OT, and the thing that makes him more powerful than Vader or the Emperor, is his faith in the humanity of his father. The Jedi poo poo is great and all, but what actually brings down the Empire is his rejection of the idea that Vader was beyond hope.

I don't like TLJ because it tosses out that defining characteristic, which for me was also the defining moral of the OT, and it's not clear to me that it did it for any particularly important reason. I don't care if that's childish or not, it's one of the big things I liked about SW.

I get that like, he probably has PTSD and whatever from the star war, but his character being a completely different person in the ST really bugged me.

Also the fact that so much of the movie was clearly this meta-narrative responding to fan speculation and criticism just made it all feel so cheap.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Everyone died when the FO attacked the cantina, they've been in Purgatory ever since.

They actually all died on that transport ship above endor.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm conflicted with Zack Snyder because the aesthetic is very much my poo poo but it's usually coupled with a bad movie.

He's an incredibly overrated disturbingly fascist hack. He wasn't even involved in the storyboarding for 300 yet he gets all the credit for the style of the film. His movies are like case studies in ruining poo poo with toxic masculinity.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm curious as to where you're seeing his films portraying fascism and toxic masculinity as good things, outside of an extremely surface-level reading of 300.

I hate to break it to you, but 300 isn't Starship Troopers even a little bit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're right, it's a lot more blatant.

If they had actually mentioned how broken Spartan society was in any way, even in the background you might have an argument.

In reality, it's a movie about big tough oily men killing Arab monstrosities.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

And I'm sorry, what in Snyder's catalogue has ever suggested he had a sense of irony at all?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Harime Nui posted:

I mean they literally show you the Spartans throwing screaming babies into a pit full of bones and debauched Spartan priests pawing some girl drugged off her gourd

e: Cersei Lannister literally summarily executes a dude on the Senate Floor and everybody's like "hell yeah you go girl death to traitors"

That whole sequence just seemed like a way to make Leonidas seem more badass but whatever

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Here's Syder responding to a question about the film being racist:

z snydes posted:

You know, when I see that, when I see someone use words like “neocon,” “homophobic,” “homoerotic” or “racist” in their review, I kind of just think they don’t get the movie and don’t understand. It’s a graphic novel movie about a bunch of guys that are stomping the snot out of each other. As soon as you start to frame it like that, it becomes clear that you’ve missed the point entirely.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The comic book 300.

Snyder said that he thought Frank Miller got everything exactly right and completely nailed it in the graphic novel, but sure, I'm sure he really wanted to make something subversive

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Snyder was pointing out 300's satire when it came out.

I have not found a single quote from him that suggests this is the case.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

going to endor to search crashed death star wreckage was originally going to be in TFA lol

This would be super sweet, but only if the village got smooshed by decks 378-775

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Preston Waters posted:

it kind of has been since ROTJ though. That movie has so many things that you could tear to shreds but for whatever reason nobody does.

Im not sure that's true. Theres definitely a large group of people who agree that Jedi was the beginning of the end for the series.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bruceski posted:

"Weakest of the OT" even if you agree with that claim, is still pretty drat good. It's not like we have three options therefore one of them must be flawless and one must suck.

I super enjoy RotJ but the problems it does have are really really lame.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

All I can remember from the prequels are endless flat shot/reverse shot sequences or perfectly flat tracking shots.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Challenge: name another movie in history of cinema where you noticed and/or got upset about shots followed by reverse shots.

It was the "completely flat" part that bothered me hth

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rey arrives in Ireland believing that there's no hope for Kylo and changes her mind when she learns more about his backstory with Luke; she refers to Luke "sensing good" in Darth Vader when she's questioning why he thinks the Jedi don't deserve to exist, I believe during his first lesson.

So the entire galaxy is aware of what went down in the throne room?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

C3PO was good for one JJ mystery box with the red arm thing; having served that purpose, he was thrown in the dumpster

Wait why did he have that arm tho

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

It even got changed back to his regular gold arm in the final scene

comprehension isn't totally necessary but why would they have it in there for absolutely no reason.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

Abrams should have Kojima consult on Episode 9.

By which I mean "write and direct" of course.

I support this. If Star Wars is gonna go to poo poo I want it to GO TO poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Looks like enough time for the Rebels to hire a new batch of temps.