Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

galagazombie posted:

That point about Cersei is really spot on. Part of the reason she was a good character (especially in the books) was just how spiteful, petty, and incompetent she is. But fans loved to hate her so much the show has tried to turn her into some kind of hyper-competent machiavellian master who is possibly a stand in for the neoliberal idealized version of Hillary Clinton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tivOFGxFGys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

At least the script might be coherent

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

Was infinity war 2 coherent.

Never saw it

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nnnotime posted:

Wow: looks like George Lucas gave a reaction video to the new ROTS trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MuxVqB3I7E

(parody)

:laffo: this needs to be on every page of every Star Wars thread.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darth TNT posted:

The problem I always having reading stuff like this is, is wondering how much is on Kennedy. The fanbase (and a large group of misogynists) love pointing at her as the source of all problems. Which seems way too easy.
But so many directors leaving or getting dismissed does signal that there is a problem. Kicking off a new trilogy without a plan is also a problem.

It's like Disney has no idea what made the MCU work.

If they brought in Feige to do a Star Wars movie, then it’s definitely on Kennedy.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

I would rather Feige stick to the MCU and not dig his claws into Star Wars tbh. Hoping his SW venture is a one-off or something. I don't want him to oversee it like he does with Marvel movies. I read somewhere Kennedy/Lucasfilm is grooming Filoni to be a main guy—or THE main guy—to oversee the big Star Wars stuff moving forward. I'd much, much rather have Filoni take on that oversight role please. Not Feige. Please not Feige. MCU can continue to be what it is and make all the the money. I just don't want Star Wars to turn into the MCU.

lol

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

You laugh now! But you won't be laughing if Feige somehow manages to weasel his way into Lucasfilm all the way to the top to oversee Star Wars movies for Disney. If that happens, then all we'll likely get is a bombardment of 20+ shared cinematic movies in the SW universe over the next 8-10 years that'll barely have any personality or distinction between them. And they will make Disney enough money to buy China.

Disney Star Wars is just as stale and lifeless as the lowest common denominator of corporate standards embodied by the Disney MCU theme park films. I was laughing that you (apparently) thought otherwise.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Preston Waters posted:

lmao. Yes, Star Wars is dead because the ST wasn't better than the OT yet much better than the prequels.

Man, I don't care if JJ digs up the Emperor and Vader and makes the entire third act a musical number -- Star Wars isn't getting killed that easily. Not by a long shot.

The perception that "Last Jedi" was a failure is a youtube-driven hot-take myth. It is an opinion with no basis in reality, and from what I can tell it isn't even a majority one: 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and 85 on Metacritic. It made a shitload of money, so it was a monetary success -- especially considering that sequels rarely make more than their predecessors -- having the seventh biggest opening of all time to date and making back its budget several times over.

The movie had a $700 million drop from TFA (which is quite significant), and the marvel movies - despite being the generic trash they are - are making more money with each subsequent release. And lol at citing RT critics for determining what is good.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timby posted:

Boyega was photoshopped out of the Chinese poster.

No wonder he put the script on eBay

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mat Cauthon posted:

Finn was originally supposed to get more of Poe's storyline of becoming a resistance leader, as well as him being force sensitive mattering in some significant way with the larger dark vs light conflict, and also being more of a romantic interest for Rey.

Then they reshot TFA to have Poe live (in part because Oscar Isaac was having his breakout moment), the force sensitive stuff got ignored in TLJ, and the romance thing just never materialized.

It really left him with nothing to do, which is a shame because Boyega is great and one of the best parts of TFA.

The real reason they rewrote and reshot it is because Disney executives like Iger and Horn are still uncomfortable with watching white girls having romance with black guys on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Little Death posted:

Actually I think presenting Chewie as apolitical is perhaps exhibit A in the problems with the ST. The original trilogy was definetely political, the PT was, for all its flaws, political. They had specific themes and messages in mind. There was even that wall-street journal article defending the empire at one point, because it's not hard to read relevant themes into the story. But I don't know if TFA was political, in fact I think it was crafted to be apolitical, in that it studiously avoided any messages that could be thought of as anti-establishment or questioning the current social order in any way. Yes, the FO is a callback to the empire, who are a call back to Nazis, but they aren't a governing power in the way the empire is presented. They're a sort of space ISIS combined with Space Al Qeida, a group dedicated to "oppression" that Disney could be sure 99% of their audience (in American, Europe, and most major cities) would be fine with hating without thinking about it too much. That way Disney could void any sort of controversy as to what ideas they were trying to communicate. Trying to present Chewie as apolitical to keep from alienating (presumable) more right-wing people seems in keeping with the way the ST was set-up in TFA and concluded in TROS.

E: images are from The Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary.

It’s much more significant and alarming than worrying about “alienating” right-wing/conservative assholes: Disney is never going to have class consciousness/themes in their characters and movies because they’re a literal monopoly that owns 80% of the market

This is the primary reason why these sequels loving suck along with anything disney puts out in general, especially marvel.