Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

It's not about the politics in the movie itself, it's that society is at one of its cyclical boiling points now in the West that people are diametrically opposed on. Movie review and opinions are more based on bad faith arguments based on those "sides" than the movies themselves in a lot of cases. A lot of movie arguments now are almost entirely based on identity politics.

That also infects the creative process of the movies themselves. A good example is Admiral Holdo. In the book she was this eccentric inventor who was made an admiral basically by accident but she made the best of it by coming up with unorthodox solutions to problems. She would change the color of her hair all the time as part of her overall scatterbrained capriciousness. Just a really interesting character.

Then for the movie they saw the character and all they thought was "hm... I guess she has colored hair... and I recently saw an epic Ben Shapiro youtube video where someone with colored hair was scolding a man... so yeah she be someone like that. whatever." Then the fans who see it, depending on their own side, go "well I guess I should cheer/jeer this because of the signifiers."

At no point is there any consideration of an actual meaningful political idea or how to convey it. It's just everyone doing a hideous unthinking Kabuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'll never for the life of me understand why people will defend movies and get all butt hurt about box office totals. Right now, at this exact moment, our planet is literally dying, there's real poo poo to worry about, but people have to run up a hill to defend the bottom lines of media conglomerates that don't give one rats rear end about you. Bob Iger doesn't check twitter to see how your performance review went at work or if you got that bonus. It truly does not matter. I can't fathom getting pissed because someone dares besmirch a multi-national conglomerate that I've chosen identify with, especially one founded by an actual racist, that that has done tremendous harm to our culture and repressed nearly a century of artistic expression and knowledge through strong armed copyright lobbying.

I just don't get it. But here I am posting in a star wars thread, jokes on me I guess.

Dunno where this come from but yes gently caress Disney

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
lol

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Jerkface posted:

Rey: Who are you?
Will: Hey uh Im Will, of the force

*me watching star wars will of the force whenever will comes on screen*. thats will, of the force

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Will-o'-the-force

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

AndyElusive posted:

You guys understand this is a teaser, ya?

Stuff not being shown in it, doesn't mean that stuff won't be in the movie. Also, because it's TYOOL 2019 stuff you see in the trailer may not even make it in.

Better down vote it to make sure they never make another War in the Stars though. Make sure this is the last time they ever think of making a movie about laser swords again because no one actually likes it.

We already know most of what will be in the movie because of the 4chan leak

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
But I absolutely want the movie to do as poorly as possible and I'm gonna watch a cam version instead of seeing it

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

YaketySass posted:

It's not gonna do poorly.

I said "as possible"

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

which leak was this?

https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/112644688/#112644688

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

BigglesSWE posted:

RLM is literally unwatchable smugness especially with that incredibly obnoxious laugh that one of them has.

Rich's laugh sounds like he wants to die and makes everyone else want to grant his wish

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Darth TNT posted:

Who the help is rlm

They're the guys who did the Plinkett prequel reviews and they're the biggest tastemakers for middlebrow movie nerds

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Remember when RLM's biggest criticism of Attack of the Clones was that the film was a poor guide for how to pick up women

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Brie Larson is no less dumb than Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, I wonder what makes her a bigger target for nerds... hmmm...

:thunk:

This is why people like Brie Larson less than Tom Cruise and Brad pitt:

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to spoil it in as many places as possible so people have less reason to see it

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

Lmao okay dude if you say so. They weren't any dumber than any other poo poo that Hollywood people blather on about in their speeches but you do you. Keep on loving that Ess Jay Double You chicken.

You're mad about Brie Larson's rear end

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Finn and Poe walk down the dusty main street of one of the ghost towns that dot the desert planet. The only sound is the cawing of a distant space-hawk. At least until an unexpected voice cuts through the stillness.

"TRAITOR"

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Looks pretty dope actually. I kinda want to see it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0IIOMrLe0M

Based on that trailer the Mandalorian seems to be some fat old guy with curly hair

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Pops Mgee posted:

All Star Wars from the last decade has been fan made.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Slutitution posted:

hmmm yes because Anakin in AotC is such a good case study in how to talk to girls

My point in that post is not that AotC is a good guide for how to pick up women

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Vinylshadow posted:

It was instinct - Luke looked into Ben's head, saw all the darkness, and his lightsaber was on before he knew it had come to his hand

It's Ben who escalated things, and Luke drove himself into exile because of it

Thank you, Jedi Dogma, for driving Luke to that point

Imagine if there was actually a nephew killing instinct and we just had to account for it as a society. "Avuncular" would take on a whole new meaning

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Angry Salami posted:

My problem with any redemption plot for Kylo is... he's just too realistic a dickhead, you know? Like, Vader's a bad guy, but he's an over the top comic book villain. Kylo's just too close to reality. He's some jerk who thinks he's hot poo poo and acts like a creep around women - I get enough of those assholes getting away with their poo poo in real life.

He doesn't act creepy aroudn women in the second one iirc

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

YaketySass posted:

Paltergheist

Empparition

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Just Chamber posted:

Kylo hasnt actually tried anything with Rey in the movies right? As much as some fans get wet over the idea. Like i dont even remember any sort of awkward scene where it's clear he wanted to

There's some thematic subtext during the interrogation scene where he's like "I can take what I want" but in literal terms no

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The films are pretty clear on the fact that in any such scenario Rey would be the aggressor.

The reason Kylo aws shirtless during force Skype is that he's trying to entice Rey to fall to the dark side by raping him

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Shmii Skywalker wasn’t a queen.

The parents of the founder of a royal line are never royalty themselves

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

AlternateAccount posted:

Also the sucking charisma-wound that is Emilia Clarke. Whatever the Exile is in KOTOR2 to the force, she is to cinematic watchability.

It's because she had an aneurysm

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

No, it loving wasn't, and you need to stop beating this drum of fan-fiction in your head.

Wait he just made that up? Lol. It would have been a better movie with FN as the protagonist tho

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

It’s actually fairly extensively documented.

For example, reshoots were conducted to remove a subplot with a character called Constable Zuvio. The scenes where Zuvio was to appear were merged with a later sequence where Rey first meets FN. There are tons of major continuity errors as a result here, and the characters’ mouths usually don’t match their dialogue. Boyega’s dialogue is frequently just muted. (The reported rationale behind these reshoots is that Boyega didn’t have ‘good chemistry’ with his costar.)

That’s just one example.

Can you make a video with all the evidence for this

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

You ever seen someone order a well done cheeseburger at a nice restaurant? That’s Solo. The cooks made it, and it was probably fairly good! Then the person who ordered it saw that pink, and sent it back to be roasted into a shoe.

Solo: The saddest cheeseburger.

There's nothing wrong with a well-done cheeseburger

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

You don’t really need a video; Zuvio was cut so late in production that he still got an action-figure and a bunch of other merch.

If you recall the scene where Rey beats up two kidnappers, Zuvio (a sheriff of some kind) originally broke up the fight and sent Rey home for the night. Rey would then return to town and meet FN the next afternoon.

This means the part where Rey wins and knocks both dudes unconscious was shot almost a year after the part where they try to grab BB.

I mean the parts where Finn's dubbed over or muted

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

If I remember right, someone (Kasdan?) was upset because he felt they weren't respecting the Han Solo character.

Not respecting the Han Solo character enough? Have they seen the OT?

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
*Watches Han Solo misunderstand the Force, wade through garbage, accidentally fly into a worm's mouth, get captured and turned into a wall decoration, stumble around blind and sweaty, and get captured again by teddy bears and fruitlessly blow on the fire cooking him* this character must be treated with dignity

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it's not that they don't have the resources, they just don't consider it art or personal and so don't give a single poo poo

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Lol they're bringing Han Solo and Luke back. loving Abrams

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Is there any doubt that Harrison Ford likes to get drunk and crash airplanes

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I heard in the next one they're going to visit Jar-Jar's grave and there's a quiet echo of his voice saying "meesa poopoo" and then Rose trips into the grave and dies

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

cargohills posted:

i too love getting mad online on behalf of the walt disney company because someone is mildly weirded out about a kids movie possibly featuring a 30-year-old guy going out with a teenager

The power dynamic in their relationship is balanced because she's so much force stronger than him and he's on the side destined to lose

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Preston Waters posted:

I'm sorry you're so neurotic. You should probably go see a psychiatrist in case it's undiagnosed aspergers.

The rest of us have not received any indication that Rey is a teenager. But even if she was and is over 18 it's completely legal. Also as someone with parents who are 9 years apart who have been happily married for 35 years, 11 years doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Feel free to continue making GBS threads up the thread about being triggered by a big nothingburger though.

I agree with you but this post is really obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

There's a powerful irony in it when you behold his rap sheet.

Why does it say "lusting after teenagers" when he was talking about a woman in her twenties