Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Saw Solo finally. Thought it was alright, but the focus in this film, and Last Jedi, on those dice is very very strange. The dice are in one shot in A New Hope and never show up again, and these two movies treat them like they're a central linchpin of Han's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hearing this a lot and yeah, I don't get why the dice are suddenly important.

Was there ever any old EU thing where they have some super important significance or something?

You could say they gambled and lost by rolling so much footage of them in the new movies.

I suppose they could have gone with the idea that Han won the falcon in a dice game and kept the dice, but that would have made sense and that's not what the filmmakers are going for these days.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Calling it now, Finn is Lando's son.

I was going to say, "But John Boyega looks nothing like Billy Dee Williams." But then I remembered that Adam Driver looks nothing like Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Someone's seen Explorers!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I was really hoping they'd give Rey her own lighsaber after Anakin's was finally broke.. But so much for that, I guess.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

Looks pretty dope actually. I kinda want to see it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0IIOMrLe0M

I like when he said "we can show new species' and we cut to.. A picture of one of the creatures from Battle for Endor.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Captain Splendid posted:

Solo was like a poor man's Guardians of the Galaxy

No, that's Suicide Squad.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Gonz posted:

More high rez shots of the Sith Trooper.

Apparently the First Order really likes putting M-16 front sights on the top of their guns. I think this fellow's weapon looks like it's based on a MP7, but I could be wrong.

Edit: No, looking at it closer the grip is angles, where that of an MP7 is straight.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 11, 2019

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm not sure how "great" it is when no one is visiting it and it's basically a ghost town according to friends.

Attendance is down all over the park right now. Basically so many people said, 'We want to avoid the star wars land crowd' that nobody is showing up anywhere.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

porfiria posted:

Having to dig up The Emperor because they forgot to give these movies a villain is pretty funny.

They gave the movies one, then unceremoniously killed him off halfway through.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Wasn't part of the reason they needed the hacker was so they could get through the shields of the big bad ship?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Their shields have a fractional refresh rate. Keeps anything traveling slower than lightspeed from getting through.”
-Hans

The baddies have zero defence against hyperspace kamikazes, except blowing the ship up before it can strike. It’s specifically their main weakness.

The actual trouble with the hyperspace kamikaze attack is that it takes a long time to charge up, it has to be done at very close range and, (despite being flashy) it doesn’t actually accomplish much. I’m pretty sure none of the baddie ships are actually destroyed; it’s cosmetic damage.

Cosmetic damage? The giant bad guy ship gets sliced almost in half and we several smaller Star Destroyer types getting cut into thirds.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

The idea of smashing into the enemy aircraft carrier at faster-than-light speed is immediately countered by the reality that there is no incredibly huge explosion. What actually happens is that chunks of each ship touched by The Radish are ‘pulled into hyperspace’ and, effectively, deleted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2hM1tyEL0U&t=99s

Pictured: Huge Explosion.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

It's a very strange feeling for me to see a brand new trailer for a Star Wars move and just feel nothing. I don't like it.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I don't know if those are 'Episode' films or 'Star Wars Story' films.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Someone had sex with an otter. Not the same otter that Han had to punch. I don't think.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Jewel Repetition posted:

How do you have an 18 year old account with no rap sheet

I very rarely contribute.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Great, brace for multi page debates on Endor and Kef Bir being the same place.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Yeah, but on the other hand, Jumper.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Mat Cauthon posted:

Great concept, terrible execution. There are some really fun sequences in there and I think had they cut the stupid teen romance you could've had something way better. The cast had Michael Roomer, Diane Lane and Sam Jackson to anchor the younger actors and Liman is reliable in turning in entertaining movies. Really curious what the hell went on behind the scenes there.

I can agree with that. Although it was always laughable to me that the concept was that these two sides have been fighting for centuries, but for some reason have a treaty 'No guns guys, seriously.'

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Greedo is just that kind of rear end in a top hat who always has to have the last word.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

He deserves an explanation because he's a commanding officer on board the ship that's currently under attack.

And the movie itself kind of forgets that if he hadn't ordered the bombers to attack the dreadnaught, it would have followed them and killed them all.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Utter nonsense.

Explain how the First Order isn’t “reborn” under Kylo.

Well, we only see the FO under Kylo's command for what, five minutes? But it still has the same personnel, command structure, equipment and all that. Same commitment to destroying the resistance.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I just can't get enough of the millennium falcon flying through enclosed spaces!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

weekly font posted:

So going to the wreckage of the Death Star II to find poo poo rules because lol how the gently caress else did Kylo Ren get Vader's trashed rear end helmet?

The helmet wasn't on the death star. Luke put Vader's suit/body on a funeral pyre on Endor.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I was one of the foolishly optimistic ones who greeted the Disney purchase with positivity. "It can't be as bad as the prequels!" I said. Three movies later and I'd be begging for something on the level of episode 3.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I don't get these reviews that say the movie bends over backwards to please fans. What star wars fans were clamouring for the emperor to come back?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

If they really wanted to please fans, the last scene in the movie would be a de-aged Luke Skywalker waking up and saying, "What a horrible nightmare." He then walks to the teachers lounge at the Jedi academy and tells Kyle Katarn he had this dream where nothing he did mattered and he and all his friends died as bitter old failures.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Blast Fantasto posted:

It seems like the only people who can love this movie are those who vehemently hated The Last Jedi because of what it did to “the saga” or “Luke’s character” (as opposed to because it was a bad movie).

- People evaluating it from an unbiased perspective/who don’t care about TLJ recognize TROS has huge flaws as a movie
- People who liked TLJ are going to hate it because it quickly tries to undo everything they liked about TLJ

It sure seems like they made a movie that appeals to only a slim minority of people

No, I think it's perfectly possible to hate TLJ for what it did to Luke and hate this movie, too.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

What TLJ “did to Luke” wasn’t that big a deal, though.

Killing him off is kind of a big deal.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I said come in! posted:

This is a super cringy tweet, and really not at all true.

"I mean, it would be better if we had the 400 or so people who died in the past couple of hours but yeah. Everything we need."

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

The reality is that there’s going to be a lot of people for whom TROS is one of the best Star Wars movies of all time, because it’s bombastic, because it ends the Skywalker saga, and because it plays to emotional and nostalgic heartstrings. That’s enough for most viewers to lose their poo poo over it.

But did people really want the Skywalker saga to end with ever single member of the bloodline dead?

Edit: The Skywalker saga wasn't so much ended as it was forcibly exterminated.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 19, 2019

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

My speculation/fanfic ending on hearing the title Rise of Skywalker was that Rey would come to the conclusion that the Jedi were a force for good, but Luke was right that there were also flaws in their techniques and philosophies. Flaws that made them too rigid and bred arrogance. So at the end of the movie, once she had become the ultimate Light Side force user. Ben, Finn, and maybe a few other force sensitive characters (There would be a revelation that like the main character in KOTOR 2, Rey subconsciously draws force-sensitives to her) would come to her asking to train them to be Jedi.

She would consider the sacred texts she had and tell them, "I won't train you to be Jedi. I will train you to be Skywalkers." Rey founds the Skywalker order, roll credits.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

But making him an embittered old failure of a recluse drinking sea-cow milk. That's respecting the character!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

teagone posted:

Rey should've had her own ship, instead of getting the Falcon.

Rey doesn't get her own anything. Her ship, her lightsaber, her grandfather, all hand-me-downs from the OT.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 26, 2020

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

I like the part where she walks by the Stormtrooper holding her hood down in front of her face in the most ostentatious manner imaginable.

I like the part where neither side can shoot a person standing literally six feet away from them.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Planet Modesta! An unsubtle nod to George Lucas' hometown, but fine.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

When have we ever seen Y wings in the movies ever not get completely clowned on, though, at least the resistance bombers didn't need to tag a multirole in to finish the job

Rogue One, a group of Y-Wings disable a Star Destroyer and barely break a sweat.

And really, only one more X-Wings survived Yavin than Y-Wings.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Espin Ocho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

If Boba Fett is alive and Luke Skywalker is dead I'mma burn this motherfucker down.