Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Watch out Rey, he has the high ground!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've seen both of the new movies and still couldn't describe Rey's personality to you if you asked

What is her character

Like everyone else in SW, someone who needs to really get laid.

Nov 6, 2002

Wild Horses posted:

Extremely violent, weak willed, always faffing around, parental issues, identity issues,
doesn’t gently caress.

Yep, she’s an incel. (or femcel)

Pretend I posted the virgin/chad meme but it's all SW virgins.

Nov 6, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

What language would C3P0 use when he has droid 'relations'?

Python of course.

Nov 6, 2002

Jiro posted:

Evil Rey is either some stupid rear end vision, or one of the Knights of Ren that can shapeshift or project images themselves. I'm putting my money on the latter. A tryhard evil dweeb making an overly complicated lightsaber fits right in line with Ren.

Prime Rey is one of multiple clones made by Palpatine and hidden throughout the galaxy, in order to defeat him she must first destroy Evil Rey and her tuning rod.

Nov 6, 2002

Could the Prequels be a force nightmare?

Nov 6, 2002

Remember to change the batteries in your C3PO unit every time you turn your clocks ahead or back.

Nov 6, 2002

Captain Jesus posted:

Rey is angry and has no chill. She likes fighting and blowing things up. She always rushes right into a fight both in TFA and TLJ. I find that kinda endearing.

Rey's temperament makes sense for someone who grew up an orphan fending for herself in a barren hostile hell hole with no resources. She shouldn't be well adjusted. She's not a white girl from suburbia.

Nov 6, 2002

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Of all the characters they’ve completely dropped the ball on, Finn is by far the most disappointing.

He's pretty much turned into the comic relief, now with a love interest.

Nov 6, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

Perhaps I'm being too hard on rey. More charitably, her new motivation is to execute the agenda of charismatic political leader leia *

* Leia's agenda appears to consist mainly of murdering as many first order dudes as possible

Well the First Order are Space Nazis who murdered a gazillion people so that's fine.

Nov 6, 2002

Captain Jesus posted:

I don't disagree with this and this reading makes sense, but Rey is pretty normal when you put aside her temperament issues. She is somehow a fan of the rebellion, knows things about the galactic history (who Han Solo and Luke are, heard about the Kessel run) and knows about the resistance. So she kinda is a white girl from suburbia who has action figures in her room and dreams about becoming a pilot. The characterization is muddled.

I don't have a problem with her knowing some of these things. Even in the middle ages peasants knew stories and legends of knights and battles, and Rey is essentially a space peasant. What doesn't particularly make sense for her is her selflessness and her desire to join the rebellion. Someone like her should be primarily concerned with looking out for number one.

Finn, yeah, he's just a hot mess of contradictions and walk backs.

Nov 6, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, where exactly is the New Republic in this fight with the First Order? I'm really confused as to where their fleet is and why the First Order just seems to be rolling over an extant galactic wide government. The "resistance" was just supposed to be a proxy war between the First Order and the New Republic?

It's so dumb that we have to ask these kind of questions. They tried so hard to avoid the boring political talk of the prequels that they leaned waaaay too hard in the other direction.

Nov 6, 2002

The majority of the fleet was docked around the Hosnian system planets, which Starkiller destroyed.

Nov 6, 2002

pospysyl posted:

"The Republic" is short for "The Republic of Five Planets", and the First Order blew up all five of them.

No. It's a galactic republic.

e: you were probably being sarcastic, nvm

Nov 6, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

While the First Order was working on the Starkiller base the New Republic was hard at work on their greatest tool: the galaxy's largest white flag

With the amount of enthusiasm the old senate greeting the creation of the empire I assume most of the galaxy are big fans of fascism.

Nov 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

I feel like I've said it multiple times before, but it's not like the writers of The Force Awakens had jam their story into some existing chronology. They had carte blanche to come up with whatever political reality they wanted, and had a 35 year runway from the events of Return of the Jedi to get there, and for some reason this is what they decided on- a stable Republic, an ostensibly small, incompetent group of right-wing terrorists, and a Death Star x1000 that would have taken presumably all the money in the known universe to build that serves as a magic reset switch for everything.

Has it really been explained that the new Republic is actually stable?

Nov 6, 2002

What's not really clear to me is the Resistance's relationship with the Republic.

No Mods No Masters posted:

From what I can remember from jivjov's insane lectures and screeds, the main characteristic of the new republic was its being full of secret first order members, with the exception of leia and her friends

New Republic leadership didn't go through a de-Palpafication. There's your problem.

Nov 6, 2002

YaketySass posted:

Senator Binks is a great man who helped build bipartisan consensus his entire life, he deserves respect.

The best thing Lucas did in the prequels was making Jar Jar the final machination of Palpatine's rise.

Nov 6, 2002

So according to the Battlefront 2 DLC the first order has enough ships to conquer every system in the known galaxies. WTF?

Nov 6, 2002

If they had slipped a line in about how the New Republic was some highly limited "Articles of Confederation" type government that barely had any authority or resources it would have explained so much.

Nov 6, 2002

Mooey Cow posted:

Actually they are not Sith Lords, they are Ren Knights. It's completely different. Much like this desert planet which is completely different from Tatooine, spherical planet-killer weapon completely different from a Death Star, etc. etc.

If they are confused we will give it a mohawk and a wheelchair!

Nov 6, 2002

Teek posted:

Bad guy motivations never seem to make much sense if you stop and actually think about it. When Lucas made the prequels, he made Anakin's motivations even more nonsensical. Okay, so Vader supports the Empire and wants to kill Palpatine. Okay, but why is he loyal to a regime that grew out on a conflict he now knows was fake and manufactured? He knows Palpatine played him and the galaxy, there's no reason he has to stick by his side as a dog on a leash. "Oh, well I'm evil now, guess I just have to bide my time until I can try to kill my boss?" Except he saves Palpatine's life multiple times, but then also wants Luke to join him so they can kill the Emperor. Well, what is it Vader? Do you want to end the destructive conflict or just constantly perpetuate all the manufactured poo poo the Empire does to stay in power?

When he's Anakin he clearly states that he thinks democracy is a joke and fascism is the wave of the future. Just because he knows Palpatine played him doesn't mean his opinion on everything else changes.

Nov 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

As much as I like Palpatine and like Return of the Jedi, I don't understand how Palpatine envisioned things turning out when he brought Luke up to the throne room and took off his handcuffs. Seems like the only possible outcomes are:

-Vader kills Luke defending Palpatine
-Luke kills Vader and Palpatine
-Luke kills Vader and Palpatine kills Luke
-Luke and Vader team up and kill Palpatine

Palpatine doesn't really ever make a pitch for Luke joining his side, he just seems to assume that it's a given if Luke kills Vader, like Luke is contractually obligated to go for work for him in that scenario.

The best explanation is that Palpatine just gets off on this sort of thing and just wants to see what happens more than he really cares about living.

Nothing at the beginning of that movie made sense so why should the ending.

Nov 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

I agree, it makes me wish I knew anything about him or what the hell he wants.

Approval.

Nov 6, 2002

Jiro posted:

"And he was a good friend" :v: Who I cut up, and left to burn on a lava planet. Cause ya know, friends!

He was already Darth at that point.

Nov 6, 2002

euphronius posted:

You learned that leia got a new hair cut which is actually very telling and important

She also apparently spent the last 30 years eating cigarettes.

Nov 6, 2002

Carrie Fisher's voice really, really took me out of the new movies every time she was on screen. I know it wasn't her fault, but I can't reconcile the idea of Leia sounding like she has meth mouth.

Nov 6, 2002

Never forget that Darth Vader's first words in Star Wars were "Are you an angel?"

Nov 6, 2002

He is such a goddamn liar. There is no way that was ever the original intent.

Nov 6, 2002

Robot Style posted:

Part of Lucas' opening crawl for Episode 7 is in the TFA art book, and mentions a "Coalition of Star Systems" that's challenging the New Republic's right to rule the galaxy, which sounds like an evolution of the Separatists from the prequels.
Padme was on the verge of siding with them in Episode 3, so having a conflict that actually does have "heroes on both sides" would be an interesting way to go.

Would evil be everywhere?

Nov 6, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Does the New Republic tolerate slavery?

Remember when Qui-Gon won a small child slave in a bet and took him from his mother the slave rather than just freeing them both straight up cause he's a loving Jedi?

Nov 6, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like a lot of people try and cover up Lucas having dumb ideas by saying 'he's just joking'

Like don't get me wrong, he's done good things and is successful as all hell, but there have been plenty of times (ie. the Prequels) where it was obvious that he needed someone to tell him no to his dumb ideas.

Hey George, maybe not fill this movie full of racist caricatures? Also, could we build some sets too?

Nov 6, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Phasma has to be one of the top 10 people in hollywood movie history who get the most screentime but who the audience knows nothing about and has been given no reason to care about them.

They know she was in GoT and that's about the only back story she's gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

I gotta be honest, when Maz says she's handling a "labor dispute" I assumed that was just a cheeky way of saying that some of her criminal associates that she hired for a job double-crossed her, I don't think she's actually a Space Pinkerton.

It was definitely tongue in cheek.