Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darth TNT posted:

No Phasma on this poster. Did she fall off?

Could be her next to Poe.

Nevermind, just saw that image where the character's name is Zorii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ammanas posted:

han is dead buddy

Darth Maul was dead at one point too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

This is unironically one of the best Star Wars duels

Agreed. Pretty much everyone in the Rebels thread gushed over it. Kenobi baiting Maul into using the same strike he used to kill Qui-Gon by switching his stance was good poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The throne room brawl in The Last Jedi ranks #1 for me among all lightsaber fights in the movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

The TLJ throne room fight would have had to hold up better under close analysis to be regarded as a classic. There are way way too many awkward red dudes milling around or swinging at nothing on the edges of the frame. As is it’s as much of a hollow fraud as the rest of the film

Hard disagree. There's a lot to like about the sequence. It's visually striking in both color and structure, and the camera movement/editing captures the choreography in such an effective manner that makes it all not just look super violent, but it also feels super violent. Those hard hits and sparks spewing about are such a great addition to upping the brutality not really seen in lightsaber fights before it. The sequence as a whole is a great technical feat that showcases the hero and the villain in absolutely compelling fashion.

In context of the narrative it's even better imo, putting said hero and villain in a situation where they're working together. I love that. I love how it also conveys a contrast of characterization for Rey and Kylo through their fighting styles. Kylo Ren remaining calm and collected with measured strikes while Rey unveils an even more ferocious mirror or herself than we saw when she bested Kylo Ren on Starkiller Base. My personal favorite moments actually happen just before the brawl ensues; Rey wielding Kylo's saber was such a great character moment, and when Kylo force pulls Rey's saber into her hand after cleaving Snoke in half as the iconic music starts to swell is just pure cinematic joy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't really disagree with you that much, there is a lot to like about the sequence. When I saw the movie for the first time I came away impressed by it alone basically. But I found it impossible to unsee how sloppy it is at the edges once I could look at it under more of a microscope with the home video release. I don't really know whether it's more of a choreography or framing or editing problem, but in any case it forever made the whole thing feel lazy and shoddy to me. To be fair I don't like the rest of the film and the emotional aspect is a dud IMO, so it doesn't get far on anything but its own narrow technical merits for me.

If there's an emotional disconnect I can definitely understand how that influences your opinion of the fight. That's fair I personally connect with movie a lot and put it up there as one of the saga's best.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

okay now talk about the vanishing knife and the red soldier guy who obviously misses his cues also the red guys who very obviously aim at kylo's weapon before he hold it out for them to hit

They're scared of facing down two Jedi and fumble their poo poo? Ben did just kill Snoke at that point. They gotta be making GBS threads their pants.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

To be honest I didn't notice that stuff in the film that was said in the post I was replying to. Knife disappearing? What? I'm blinded by pure fanboyism I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] Beaten like Snoke's cleaved corpse.

General Dog posted:

I don't guess it's a really meaningful distinction either way, but I always assumed Rey force pulled the saber to herself. Clearly Kylo swiveled it and turned it on, but I thought Rey immediately caught on to his plan and finished the job. You might be right, but the alternative never even occurred to me.

Kylo does a small hand gesture to pull the saber towards him, then Rey catches it. Timestamped below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4cugJ7JzvM#t=154s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

He basically pulled a wall hack and sniped Snoke tho. He didn't best him in combat.

The fact that he managed to do it through deception is what's nuts. The manner in which it happened doesn't really matter that much though. The guards gotta be like "the balls on this motherfucker" and realize he's legit crazy for pulling that poo poo off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

You can basically put any song in the background of the sequence and it kills:

This one was my favorite when I first saw it on twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NkPTdqSwS4

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The problem with that fight is that it's two people that no one cares about that have just killed a meaningless villain we don't know and then are fighting faceless drones that weren't introduced at all, and we'll never see again.

It's basically a fan trailer on Youtube.

The fight is the spectacle (that's really well done imo). It's really more about exploring the characters of Rey and Ben. The guards and Snoke dying are just byproducts of their story being expanded. If you have an emotional disconnect with the two main characters, then yeah, I get why it would come off as pointless. Connecting with the characters is a large part of what makes the fight so compelling.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I looked up Star Wars yo mama jokes and came across this site that had a mix of them with Star Trek yo mama jokes: https://www.yomamajokesgalore.com/scifi.html

They're all pretty bad, but "yo mama so fat that she caused Kamino to flood when her water broke" made me chuckle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Star Wars: A Newer Hope

Book it.

[edit]

Or maybe it's Star Wars: An Old Hope

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spark of Hope

Something about lighting the fire and poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Force awakens the last Jedi, bringer of hope

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Daisy

Also, yeah, love all the cheers for Rose

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That loving laugh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

RISE OF THE SKYWALKERS plural would be a better title, "Skywalkers" being upgraded from a family name to a group title.

Either that just drop the plural, Rise of the Skywalker implies the name has become a title itself for the chosen one. Wasn't it in the Journal of the Whills where the first force user was called "The Skywalker" by the common people? Or is that a legends thing?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know. We're probably giving way too much credit and trying to make a lovely title mean something. RISE OF THE ________ is poo poo no matter what movie it is.

I like the title as is, but it could've been better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know. We're probably giving way too much credit and trying to make a lovely title mean something. RISE OF THE ________ is poo poo no matter what movie it is.

Did a search to find out where I had read about the first force user being called The Skywalker and found the source. It was mentioned in an excerpt from the book "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise" where it talked about some early script drafts for Star Wars.

quote:

Originally discovered by a holy man called the Skywalker, the Force is divided into the good half, “Ashla,” and the “paraforce,” called the Bogan. To prevent people with “less strength” from discovering the Bogan, the Skywalker only taught it to his children, who passed it on to theirs. And there you have it: as conceived for the first time, the Force was an exclusive, aristocratic cult.

excerpt link

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

it seems way too small or it's incredibly far away

It's just the super laser dish part of the death star.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

You’re all tripping over yourselves having hot takes about how terrible the teaser was, but I loved it. Allow me to fanboy it up for a bit, if only just to provide a different opinion.

Hot drat, I love the opening scene with Rey. Whether it’s an actual fight or training, it’s visually stunning.
Confirmation that Lando is actually doing something, and not just sitting at Leia’s funeral or something.
Some fantastic narration from (probably) Force Ghost Luke, calling back to the “thousand generations” of Jedi, putting that all on Rey.
Palpatine back in some fashion? I want to know more but I love wondering what the gently caress is going on there.
The title gives me tons of questions, the same way The Last Jedi did, and (to a way lesser extent) the same way The Force Awakens did. I have theories, but there are several possibilities, and that’s great.

It did exactly what a teaser should do. It said, “Here’s a hint of what we’re doing. Get hyped.”

gently caress all y’all. I loved it.

I thought it looked great too, despite my vocal opposition towards Disney slowly becoming a monopoly. I just love the character of Rey too much I guess. Disney's got me there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

Criticism was about her acting not the box office. It was never going to bomb regardless of who they cast, but she does stand out as a mediocre actress against the rest of the cast that on the whole mostly have great on screen presence. Obviously Disney doesnt give a drat because they've made money but as a film it's weaker than it needs to be because of her.

Larson's been pretty good in everything else I've see her in. I'd blame poor direction and writing for how Carol turned out in Captain Marvel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

I think regardless of your age, you shouldn't try and use "you're nothing... but not to me" as a pick-up line.

Kylo Ren is a bit of a psychopath, yes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Noone's ever really gone.

The gently caress?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh. Oh no. Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, I think that all sounds pretty fun and entertaining, I can't wait to watch Matt Smith chew some scenery, the Rey and Kylo fight going through different locales sounds interesting, and it's a hell of a lot better than loving time travel (lol at people pretending that would be better and wouldn't relentlessly make fun of if it actually happened).

Having part of the story take place in a live-action version of the World between Worlds from Rebels would've been cool and good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If this is what it takes for me to see Rey finally wield a double-blade lightsaber, so be it. I still would've preferred a saber staff though, to be different at least.

[edit] Also, this is very obviously a force vision or some poo poo. But if Rey is like, still a good person but wears black robes and uses a red double-bladed saber, I'm down I guess.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 24, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

People are saying that the video shown at that con confirms a bunch of leaks that got posted, including this ending stuff:

Its more like tearing up space but that stuff doesn't show up until the end of the movie during the final fight between Rey and Kylo Ren and its mostly happening because of Palpatine's spirit. Rey manages to hack Palpatine's power to do what he does like how she hacked into Kylo Ren in the first movie. She's like a sponge. The characters clash on the ruins of the Death Star but every time their lightsabers touch it sends them to a different moment in history on a different planet, like how Rey got swooped into those realistic visions in Force Awakens when she touched Luke's lightsaber. The end result is a "happy ending".

Kylo Ren and Rey clash for the last time. During the clash they keep shifting through time. Palpatine is becoming more powerful but so is Rey. Rey with the help of a struggling Kylo Ren is able to subdue Palpatine by creating a tear in the Force sucking him and Kylo in a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But Rey refuses to let him die so she uses her newfound ability to alter space and time to change destroy Palpatine's spirit itself which causes countless of moments and planets to flash before Rey and the film ends with a narration telling the story of Luke which clips showing where the characters are now in some kind of epilogue. Showing Finn living on his homeplanet with his family, Leia and Han holding each other while looking over a balcony, Luke looking over the horizon and looks back to see a large cone-shaped building behind him and Rey is on Tatooine at Luke's old home walking towards the double sunset and looks at it the same way Luke did. She's then joined by Kylo Ren who puts his arm around her shoulder and the film irises out

lol

Uhh...

Please be wrong.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That leak definitely lines up with JJ's "gently caress it" he said in the Vanity Fair issue wrt developing Episode IX. So... yeah.

[edit] If the film legit irises out on Ben putting his arm around Rey, the title actually owns then.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 25, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

They stopped caring?

Yes. Remember when the resistance were trying to get help on the Crait by sending out a galaxy wide SOS and while their was message was received, no one responded?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

I remember that scene, one person said something like:

"Our message has been received but there's no reply."

and I didn't understand at all.

But then someone immediately said:

"They've received our message but no one has replied."

And then I got it.

Wasn't enough for you to remember it until I mentioned it again though, apparently.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

You might want to reread what you were originally quoting

If you remembered the scene, why did you question if the galaxy stoped caring? I was assuming you only remembered that bit after I brought it up again. Basically I was just saying your film comprehension sucks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

All I'm getting out of this is TLJ spelled it out for you—"it" being that the galaxy had stopped caring—twice in a row, and you still posted:

Captain Splendid posted:

They stopped caring?

Not sure what else to say?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

Does this help?

Oh I see. I took your post at face value, not as a jab to what you were quoting. My bad. Thought you were being sarcastic by quoting the scene lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

I was being facetious with the quote though, having one character immediately paraphrase another with simpler dialogue sounded really bad to me

No yeah, I thought you were directing that sarcasm towards me after "explaining" it lol. I agree though, the lady reiterating that bit of dialogue is nearly on par with Legolas' "A DIVERSION!" from Return of the King, just not as funny.

mastershakeman posted:

The licensing/royalty theory about Lucas getting paid if they use his planets (tattoine , coruscant etc) makes a ton of sense for the cinematically identical yet differently named places in the Disney movies

I believe this. That would be a 100% Disney move.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Except ep 9 is coming out not about that so who the gently caress knows. Hell, it's inexplicable how the trailer has all those b, y, a and xwings

Time travel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Some folks on reddit think Dark Side Rey is a clone. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sigher posted:

I love how she can't even wield this cumbersome piece of poo poo as it unfolds, it looks so sad as it droops at the end. Nothing quite says bad-rear end like struggling to wield a weapon.

If she ignited it with a flourish like the temple guard in Rebels does, it would've looked cooler.