Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Hodgepodge posted:

Still kind of puzzled by GDT of all people directing a film with a fascist narrative though, since he absolutely knew what it was.

It's really bizarre that he ended up making a movie that's not on the side of the monsters, and I can only chalk it up to him trying to stare down a bunch of focus groups or cagey producers and blinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The ideology is palpable.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ok this makes sense! I was trying to find a normal person which was the wrong direction to look. She's more like Anakin than Luke.

Anakin... or anakim?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

galagazombie posted:

I just rewetted the scene because I had no idea what you guys were talking about. Not only were the First Orders shields not down, the Raddus was within weapons range. Sure they at first thought the Raddus was a distraction, but the fact remains that you can easily get a ship in range and insta-kill a whole fleet. For that tradeoff Hyperspace Kamikaze's are the most cheap and cost effective tactic in Star Wars history.

The tactical problem IS that you have to be within (close enough for shield penetration) weapons range. Like, ships actually traveling at lightspeed are functionally immaterial, so the kamikaze only works if you can place yourself at the exact distance such that your ship intersects the enemy ship right before you wink out of sight. So the maneuver has both a minimum and maximum range, and that range band puts you so close that the other ship can just blow you to pieces while you’re charging your hyperdrive, assuming they don’t just back up or turn out of your way.

Holdo had the advantage that her target was training all its guns on the escaping lifeboats and ignoring her.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The ultimate spoiler is when the movie comes out, and you watch it, and it sucks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

So what's the explanation for a rebel fleet that blots out the sun after the Resistance was proven hugely unpopular in TLJ?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I've been thinking more about who the hell it could have been that arrived in a gigantic fleet to help the Resistance fight Palpatine at the end of the movie, and I think there's only one clear answer: the First Order.

We know the First Order rules the galaxy and that practically no one actually dislikes it enough to support the Resistance against it. We also know that what Palpatine's putting together is the "Final Order", a which is openly a dark side cult and seems to have a lot of constant capital in the form of a starship foundry or whatever but no one to actually pilot the dang ships. So it's a small splinter faction of the First Order led by fanatics like Pryde who actually go over to Palpatine's side and try to take over the galaxy with brute force, and the rest of the First Order - the sensible moderates - who rally to stop it.

I also suspect that the wizard at the end of this movie was a clone who got too big for his britches, because the Palpatine of the prequel and original trilogy wouldn't have given a gently caress about these branding questions. He was very happy to preside over "mere" unchecked capitalism without amphitheaters of chanting cultists or pillars of skulls or whatever.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

The Rise of Skywalker is what you get if you make a Star Wars movie that removes everything that prequel haters say they hate about the prequels.

Also about TLJ! Of course by and large those people hate ROS regardless.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

One recurring theme I noticed in this movie is repetitive dialogue. Like, literally repetitive dialogue, in that so many exchanges feature the exact same word or phrase spoken several times, sometimes with slight changes and sometimes verbatim. "They fly now? They fly now." "I don't believe you believe that." Etcetera. We've gone beyond things being like poetry and rhyming to just being stuck in loops.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

romanowski posted:

this is pretty much just how major blockbusters are written now

Blockbusters are written, now?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

You know, it's also against C3P0's programming to impersonate a deity but he was willing to do that for Luke and co. That he literally allowed the ST protagonists to kill him rather than translate an inscription for him really underlies how much he must have hated their guts. "Taking one last look... at my friends..." was absolutely withering sarcasm.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Man, it’s kinda hosed up how Leia kills herself purely to kill her son. She’s like, ah, I’ve had a clairvoyant flash that Kylo is engaged in a life or death duel. This is the perfect time to spend all my HP in order to telepathically distract him and thereby break his guard.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

...Yeah wait, what the gently caress? What was she even trying to accomplish?

That's not funny. I mean, it really shouldn't be funny, cuz goddamn.

I believe the most charitable reading is that she was trying to kill “Kylo Ren” in hopes that he would be succeeded by “Ben Solo”, as he was. Whether he was literally meant to mess up a parry timing and take a blade to the gut or simply have a change of heart and stop fighting isn’t clear, but why else would she time her psychic kamikaze for exactly then and there?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, he just chokes one from hundreds of miles away without moving a muscle. Far less impressive, really.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZ3dutSWdM

That really gives more credence to the idea that he's using the power of suggestion rather than actually projecting small-f force from his body.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I like this post but have two notes:

Bongo Bill posted:

When he was trying to get Rey to kill him, by contrast, it was because he had cast a spell that would enable him to possess her, and she got around it by reflecting his other spell back at him, so it counted as a suicide.

1) Frankly I don't see why we should conclude that she got around it, and

quote:

Well, to start with, the blue team wins by trying the same thing that failed utterly in the last movie, without a single scene establishing why it would work this time. We’re left to conclude that either the point is that Lando is more persuasive than Leia, which is a weird thing for a movie to be about, or that people throughout the galaxy like the First Order but dislike the Empire, which is unsupported by their prior introduction, in a movie by the same director.

2) The First Order, or rather the First Order's voter base, shows up to save the day. They like the First Order and the Republic, but they dislike the "Final Order" which is just straight up a sorcerous cult that rules through fear rather than a government. We even see that one guy gladly fall in behind Palpatine ("Palpatine", maybe, since the dude from RotJ would never do this) because he's secretly been a true believer in black magic the whole time, which sets up for us the idea that there's a political distinction between the usual star destroyers and stormtroopers regime and whatever the guys in the robes are doing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Moreso than even the Clone Troopers, who were at least raised from infancy, Snoke is an organic machine. But Snoke is evidently ‘a droid who can ‘think’ and therefore endeavours to eliminate humanity. (Pop Quiz: can you name the other Star Wars character to wears only gold, and sits on a throne as god-king?)

This plays really well with the weird red hand C3P0 had in TFA.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

it's an alien, it's not supposed to be representative of any human race..because..space alien.

i'm actually totally into getting into this, cuz deep down i think the nemodians(sp?) being ethnically space Asian was a weird rear end choice made by george lucas..

Right, the point is that the aliens get given a mishmash of different and normally non-coexisting traits in order to make them seem "foreign" or "other" generally, rather than specific representations of some Earth-originating stereotype. The Nemoidians had Thai accents but dressed like Catholic priests and were chiefly concerned with eliminating governmental regulations, for instance. People tend to remember the accent first and foremost but they weren't really Asian stereotypes (and their accent was an actual Thai accent as opposed to a racist parody of same).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Right: in Episode 7, the heroes pretty much lose "but we didn't totally die! We can rebound from this!"

Then, in Episode 8, the heroes don't rebound from this. They're immediately crushed. "But we didn't completely die! We can still rebound from this!"

In Episode 9, Palpatine appears and then they defeat Palpatine, restoring the status quo of the previous film. The First Order is defeated, offscreen, in the last five minutes, by other people.

I've posted this before, but I don't think the First Order is ever defeated. I think the First Order's citizen/voter base rallies to defeat the Final Order (and those members of the First Order military that defected to it) and then proceed to reign as described in episode 8.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'm just swinging by here to post this because it reminded me of all of our droid personhood arguments:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Can't wait to learn about the adventures of the Jedi border patrol defending the golden age against freaks and sickos.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The implication in ROS itself that Palpatine’s body just somehow survived the explosion but had to be zombified by black magic/forbidden science is way cooler.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ungulateman posted:

the film is written by the sort of people who see a graph of horseshoe theory and go 'whoa'

Kylo Ren
LeiaPalpatine

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The nazi symbol is black and has four points. The “Star Killer” has five points, and is extremely red.

That the imagery of the red star/hand is associated with specific ‘good guys’ is on purpose. It is associated with slaves: human slaves, droids, caged monsters, and ultimately Darth Vader (who is the union of all three in one body - monstrous droid-human hybrid, simultaneously the incarnation of God).

Though Snoke is twisting this message to promote slavery because he’s secretly under the control of the literal devil, the truth of the First Order is that it is a Vaderist organization. It exists to finish what Vader started: to free the slaves.

This is a metaphor for how the communist ideal was abused in the Soviet Union - a failure is likened to how the teachings of Christ were twisted by later churches. Snoke is both Stalin-figure and Catholic pope.

Darth Vader is literally Space Christ.

Frankly the First Order was probably not Stalinist enough, as it largely failed to purge the opportunists and fascist collaborators within its own ranks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

"Totalitarianism" is a fake idea. The actual instrument of any regime's power is the bog-standard police and prison system, and those only serve so long as the bulk of the people basically assent to the regime's legitimacy. The Death Star is analogous to the Nazi concentration camps in that it represented an insane and self-defeating resource sink for which the ruling ideology could simply not abandon, but you're kidding yourself if you think the citizens of the Reich were all good liberals who were all simply too scared of of Hitler to dissent.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Okay but imagine if in that exact moment he miraculously WAS able to catch and hold Kylo's blade with his hands.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

, the Soviets failed catastrophically

:siren: ideology detected :siren:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I write that in the sense that calling Hitler some ultimate satanic evil ascribes to him a certain dignity and a clarity of purpose that he didn’t actually have. Nazis are just dangerously stupid.

Star Wars itself raises this point, with Vader saying that the Death Star is just dumb as hell and then choking that dude out.

The Nazis just brought what Europe had already been doing to the rest of the world over the course of the last century back to the imperial core. I suppose trying desperately to keep capitalism going in the face of crisis and decline is dangerously stupid from the standpoint of the entire human race, but for the German bourgeoisie it makes plenty of sense and fascism is a logical endpoint of the full-throated pursuit of that goal. Similarly, if you're going to maintain a class dictatorship by a minority of the population you need to inflict outrageous and arbitrary terror on anyone who steps out of line or happens to hail from the wrong minority group; the death star is dumb as hell in the same sense as the unilateral executions visited by police officers on random pedestrians are dumb as hell. They seem pointless and counterproductive at first blush, more liable to foment than to quash revolt, but the powers that be really have no choice but to sink to lower and lower depths of those kinds if they want to maintain their grip on the means of production.

I think it makes more sense to compare the First Order not to Soviet Russia but to the modern-day Russian Federation and, more broadly, the entire rest of the non-American world. They've largely been remade in capitalism's/Palpatine's image, and the power that did that largely flowed from America/the old Republic, but now that power center is growing increasingly irrelevant and derangedly revanchist, not realizing that for the most part it's already won and can just chill the gently caress out.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

That’s where it gets weird because, yeah, the chair scene is occurring fairly late in the final film and seemingly proving that telekinesis is real. And this is really bizarre for the narrative, because it’s literally the first time Han and the rest have actually seen something levitate - yet there’s no focus on their reactions whatsoever. They don’t even seem to notice.

Moreover, the joke is that the telekinesis is somehow completely mundane: “these Ewoks are so dumb; they think the robot is their god, when I’m really just using the everyday radio waves from my brain to swing him thru the air.” The previous equivalent scene is when, after months of gruelling indoctrination, Luke sees Yoda make the X-Wing float and it totally shatters his mind - to such a degree that I guess he forgets X-wings have built-in antigravity generators. It was a big deal.

So the chair scene is notably the first and only scene in the OT where the magic is played for comedy, the first where it’s presented as totally boring, the first where it isn’t dismissable as a trick or hallucination, and the first where it’s done right in front of muggle onlookers who don’t give a poo poo. This is a strange break from the logic of the previous films, and a clear precursor of the prequels and midichlorians. You could really say that midichlorians were entirely based on the implications of the chair scene.

But, like a lot of things in Episode 6, it just happens without any real impact and instantly vanishes from the mind (like the part where Chewbacca gets shot). So nobody spent the last 30 years complaining about the demystification.

The explanation is simple: C3P0 really did reveal himself to be a god.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Yeah he's in one scene and has three lines, and his name is never said onscreen. Lucas probably just thought "his name is uhh Fartknocker Drugmann, on to the next scene"

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

As for the morality of killing, Lucas also has interesting things to say in that new book about how he chose to portray killing in his movies:

So when a nine-year-old Anakin kills a bunch of droids, for instance, it's specifically because Lucas is uncomfortable with the message it would send if he were actually killing a bunch of unmasked people. He doesn't want kids to see that kind of realistic violence. So exactly the opposite of trying to send a message about Anakin callously massacring a slave army.

Ah, so droids are just as human as stormtroopers.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

Yes, you guys have managed to zero in on the one thing he's being jokey and facetious about and take it 100% seriously, while constructing an elaborate narrative where Lucas is always trying to trick people interviewing him in good faith whenever he says something you don't like.

Here's Lucas talking to a group of students and answering questions in 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TdGd0MlmvI&t=1280s

He isn't being sarcastic or trying to gently caress with these kids, either. He's just being a normal person. And you can see that when he says the Jedi are kind of like the mafia, he laughs, because he obviously isn't being entirely serious. What he is being serious about, on the other hand, is the idea that the Jedi are "compassionate negotiators" who are "not fighters" and who "don't like to use" their lightsabers, but will if they're forced to.

It seems to me that he laughs because what he said is funny. He doesn't laugh after his followup line in which he points out that Jedi carry flashy lethal weapons around to serve as implicit threats.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Michael Bay for sure.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Reminder that droids are people, so Luke is being sadistic as hell there. It's very strange.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rey being impossibly, terrifyingly powerful is what made her cool. She was already a figurative heir to Palpatine right from the start, so the reveal of her true parentage in RoS was one of the movie's less ridiculous parts.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

"Authoritarian" isn't really a coherent political concept. It's not like Leia's revanchists are just going to sit back and let you build a political movement they disagree with because of their respect for your inalienable rights - look what they did to the FO!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The main problem with TLJ is its clumsy attempts to rehabilitate Poe, who got hundreds of people killed in his failed coup and really should have died at the start of TFA as originally planned.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If you go down the road of punishing incompetence, nearly every named character should have died. Leia delayed the evacuation of at the start of the film for several days, and Holdo wasted 18 hours getting to the radio tower when she could have instantly sent a small recon team.

But it’s worth repeating that the characters don’t stand for anything worth saving. They’re so worthless that Kylo’s main error was bothering to pursue them.

I don't remember special details about the early evacuation, although I'm pretty sure that whether or not the Resistance had advanced notice that no help was coming they could have made it to salt world with a couple hundred survivors rather than twenty. Regardless of actual fault, though, Leia's the divine figurehead of the entire revanchist terrorist group and Holdo ends up beyond anyone's ability to rebuke. Meanwhile, both of the people Poe betrayed are joking about what a lovable scamp he is like moments after subduing him, and the massive casualties caused by his intel leak just go unacknowledged forevermore. It turns out the real problem is that Poe listens to his mom but acts up around his babysitter.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Luke Skywalker: The dark side is a cancer on this fair Republic! It is the cancer, and I am the... uh, what cures cancer?

The Empire is a cancer, and I am the barber's blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

That would just let the pampered elite pick it back up.