Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

The three-parties-acting-at-once third act thing didn't work in Jedi, and I really dislike how it informed some of the movies that followed. Like, in Phantom Menace there was the lightsaber fight, the Naboo fight and the star war, in Force Awakens there was a similar structure. The constant cutting to Endor kills the tension.

Hey! I watched the RLM reviews too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I wasn't bashing them, I was just commenting that I've also seen those immensely popular Youtubes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

You could carve “Star War” into a turd from a reanimated water buffalo’s rear end and people would still fill convention halls to dress up as TurdTrooper #1135.

Yeah, I too saw TFA.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The force is moving rocks around with your mind

No the force is more than

Wins the day my moving rocks

CONSIDER MY EXPECTATIONS SUBVERTED

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The dice are in the OT?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Chewie won't die yet. He can be in the fourth trilogy whenever that happens. Disney isn't going to let that one go.

Comically, if you remember the Star Wars resurgence in the 90's with the special edition. All of the marketing was of characters that wore masks or were puppets, Yoda, Vader, Stormtroopers. Almost never saw Luke/Leia/Han on a can of Pepsi or a BK commemorative cup. Likely because GL didn't want to pay any money to the actors for their likenesses.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

They wouldn't have had to pay them poo poo. GL owned their likenesses (for the age the movies were made) and could use them on whatever he wanted. Carrie Fisher told stories about it.

It's why the Bantam book covers started looking ridiculous as they went on. They couldn't age the characters up the way they now knew the actors were aging. They could only take the likenesses they owned already and "old age makeup" them up, causing horrific poo poo like this.

This took place 45 years after ANH...like 4 years from now, compared to when the movie came out.

I always wondered why the VHS:

had Yoda, Stormie, and Vader, and not the main characters. I assumed it was rights, but I guess not.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Szmitten posted:

The most interesting suggestion I heard about a Boba Fett movie was to actually have other characters be the protagonists, but they're being hunted by Fett. So you have this Terminator/Predator-esque chase movie instead of actually giving him character and robbing the mystique.

Come on, like they'd make a movie about Fett with any nuance.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

There are probably still people who are furious that we've lost the EU backstory about Han possibly being an heir to the throne of Corellia, aren't there?

(Long story short: Han has to compete for Leia's affections with this space prince so C-3PO goes off and does some research and announces that Han is the descendant of the King of Corellia; later in the same book where this happens, he learns that the king in question was a pirate and a pretender to the throne, so it seems Han is just a smuggler; but then years and years later, another book revealed that in ancient times, there was a Corellian prince who won a war against the Republic and his name was... Solo.)

Is this from the Courtship of Princess Leia? I don't remember all of it but some highlights are that Solo steals a mind control gun and kidnaps Leia so she won't marry a prince from a previously unknown planet.

The price, like most of the self insert EU author characters is way cool, he has a belt buckle sheild that is better than a lightsaber and in my mind I always pictured him looking like He-man, furry underwear and bare chested.

He was cooler than Luke and Han had to complete with his affection for Leia, barely winning because Price Alien He-man was a massive charming rich beefcake.

Oh, EU, never change.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm too good for Star wars.

Hey where should we put this dump truck full of money?

Alright, alright, alright.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYx3rNp5wyQ

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

No, they came out and said they had changed that, and that both parts would "stand on their own". This was before Infinity War actually came out and we found out that's not loving true at all.

The rumored title, but in no way confirmed, is Avengers: Endgame.

It was done in an attempt to fool you into thinking it was a whole movie, and not just another half our move with a two hour trailer for the next movie.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My favorite part of Episode 8 is after the movie ended, looking at the confused face of the audience as they walked out of the theaters.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Basically the ST is like if there was a Seinfeld reunion but in the episode you learn that Jerry went to mediocrity and do a couple stupid B-Movies, some poorly received TV shows, George vanishes but when he does he has a headful of hair and quickly vanishes again, Kramer turns out to be a massive racist, and Elaine has numerous missteps but then fifteen years later finds her footing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Who is that idiot EU write that went all bananas on Mandos and ruined the EU and then went all nuts in Halo books as well?

She had bad ideas for bad books.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The best part of the EU is how each author would invent their own characters, and they'd be super awesome in their books, but then the next author would come and bring in their own and be like no Corran Horn is cooler than Kyle Katarn. NO! Crix Madine is the best NOOOOOO Jacen is Dune like God emperor

All culminating in this:

I'm just so sick of all these Star Wars

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

Crix Madine was from Return of the Jedi; he's the Rebel general who explains that they've stolen the Imperial shuttle, and scenes were shot where he's commanding the Rebel fleet at Endor in case the Admiral Ackbar costume didn't work. He was actually the first movie character who was officially, permanently killed off in the EU.

I know, but he's basically not a character in the movies. He becomes a super perfect everything and then he dies.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Imagine being on the verge of 2019 and still caring about a Star Wars movie.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon he would turn out some interesting stuff as a director of animated movies, for instance.

Just like the PT

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

Just pretend I posted that pic of a dude with lightsabers coming out of his elbows and knees, or the one of Han Solo fighting an otter as a rebuttal

I got you fam

bonus horsehead xwing pilot

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The issue I have with the new trilogy is that the main characters already when through a character arc, and their stories are done, but turns out though that right after the events of ROTJ:

1) Leia formed a new government, it failed, and now she's sad
2) Han got married, had a family, it failed and now he's sad
3) Luke formed a new Jedi Academy, it failed, and now he's sad.

Basically the ST is this guy in movie format

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

unfortunately it's kind of the natural way to set things up if you have 'gotta go back to basic good rebels vs evil empire stuff' and 'gotta have the original guys back' as very important marketable bullet points on the whiteboard from day one

Or you know you could actually tell a story.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Can you imagine it's 2019 and you care about a Star Wars?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zoran posted:

Glad to see the trend of just bringing back all the old Rebel starfighter designs continues apace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRm0WssOE&t=86s

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 27, 2019

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The problem with that fight is that it's two people that no one cares about that have just killed a meaningless villain we don't know and then are fighting faceless drones that weren't introduced at all, and we'll never see again.

It's basically a fan trailer on Youtube.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

People care about Kylo and Rey. Maybe you don’t. You are right tho that the imperial guard could have had a bit more

I honestly can't see why you'd care about either of them. Kylo is the only marginally interesting, and that's because he's the first dork in a Star Wars and Rey might as well be a paper doll on a popsicle stick.

but honestly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK10F6iA8E

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

General Dog posted:

There are two people in that room that matter, and that's enough.

one is disappearing knife guy and the other is

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'll never for the life of me understand why people will defend movies and get all butt hurt about box office totals. Right now, at this exact moment, our planet is literally dying, there's real poo poo to worry about, but people have to run up a hill to defend the bottom lines of media conglomerates that don't give one rats rear end about you. Bob Iger doesn't check twitter to see how your performance review went at work or if you got that bonus. It truly does not matter. I can't fathom getting pissed because someone dares besmirch a multi-national conglomerate that I've chosen identify with, especially one founded by an actual racist, that that has done tremendous harm to our culture and repressed nearly a century of artistic expression and knowledge through strong armed copyright lobbying.

I just don't get it. But here I am posting in a star wars thread, jokes on me I guess.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Star Wars Episode 9: The Jedi Comes Back Again

(get it, it's just like Return of the Jedi just a little different since Disney is creatively bankrupt).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
THE END OF THE SAGA

Wait when exactly did the new saga begin, like three days ago?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRm0WssOE

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AccountSupervisor posted:

According to the new EU he essentially is already has been established as setting the entire events of the new trilogy in motion upon his death.

IIRC, in the Aftermath book series the Emperor had a secret apprentice who was to carry out a contingency plan that basically had him stage the Battle of Jaku so that the planet could be detonated and destroy both the Empire and Rebellion, therefore resetting the conflict somewhat. Palpatine believed if the Empire could not keep him alive it had ultimately failed and should not continue.

He had an "Observatory" built in the core of Jakku, one of many that was searcing for an unknown dark side presence in the Unkown Regions(assuming Snoke). A Sith ritual was attempted to detonate the planet but is interrupted. The secret apprentice(Rax) is killed but tasks another to take the Emperors yacht and rendevouz with the last remaining Super Star Destroyer in the Unkown Regions. She does, meets up with a young Hux and his dad and vow to execute the Emperors "First Order" to rebuild the Empire.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Aftermath:_Empire%27s_End

I have a feeling at least part of this will be involved in whatever the Emperors role in Ep 9 is.

I was going to post "source your quotes" but saw you did so instead:

:getout:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MarcusSA posted:

This perfectly sums up Star Wars.

That girl is a mary sue. The artists clearly wishes to die.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Slutitution posted:

who the gently caress releases a movie schedule eight years into the future lol

It's totally not subject to change guys srsly

Zack Snyder's eye just started twitching uncontrollably.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Preston Waters posted:

Johnson had a shot but lol if you think he was going to be able to crush it with Disney breathing down his neck. That's why the crap like Hoth part II happened

All those planets and you choose to be salty.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
They killed off Chewie in the books because he's a character that doesn't actually speak and has almost no other defining character traits besides he's big. He must have been awful to write for. Especially in thousands of books.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh good, they put character quotes written in Aurebesh while everything else is in High Galactic
How classy of you

I'm going to regret asking this but can Aurebutt be translated into english? Probably it's just like a character map between english letters since I don't imagine even Star Wars fans came up with an entire new language.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vinylshadow posted:

"You don't have to carry a sword to be powerful. Some leaders' strength is inspiring greatness in others." - Ahsoka Tano

As I thought, just one to one map of English. How completely creatively bankrupt just like the rest of this mess.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vinylshadow posted:

...It's literally been around since 1977 though?

come on the symbols even have their english sounds right in their name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mooey Cow posted:

Also you are wrong about Star Wars fans, check out "Mando'a". It's no better than Aurebesh tho; it's babby's first conlang, ie. more or less a 1:1 word replacement for English.

Thanks, but no I'm fine.