Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Please grab the extinguisher

Melman v2

Star Wars: Beyond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

People are saying that the video shown at that con confirms a bunch of leaks that got posted, including this ending stuff:

Its more like tearing up space but that stuff doesn't show up until the end of the movie during the final fight between Rey and Kylo Ren and its mostly happening because of Palpatine's spirit. Rey manages to hack Palpatine's power to do what he does like how she hacked into Kylo Ren in the first movie. She's like a sponge. The characters clash on the ruins of the Death Star but every time their lightsabers touch it sends them to a different moment in history on a different planet, like how Rey got swooped into those realistic visions in Force Awakens when she touched Luke's lightsaber. The end result is a "happy ending".

Kylo Ren and Rey clash for the last time. During the clash they keep shifting through time. Palpatine is becoming more powerful but so is Rey. Rey with the help of a struggling Kylo Ren is able to subdue Palpatine by creating a tear in the Force sucking him and Kylo in a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But Rey refuses to let him die so she uses her newfound ability to alter space and time to change destroy Palpatine's spirit itself which causes countless of moments and planets to flash before Rey and the film ends with a narration telling the story of Luke which clips showing where the characters are now in some kind of epilogue. Showing Finn living on his homeplanet with his family, Leia and Han holding each other while looking over a balcony, Luke looking over the horizon and looks back to see a large cone-shaped building behind him and Rey is on Tatooine at Luke's old home walking towards the double sunset and looks at it the same way Luke did. She's then joined by Kylo Ren who puts his arm around her shoulder and the film irises out

lol
Kylo: "I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh. I have been called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold. I am hero. She has been nameless since our birth, a constant adversary caring for nothing but my ruin, a sword drenched in my blood forever, my greatest and only love. She is the dark. O Lethe, enemy and lover, without whom my very existence would be pathetic and vulgar! Our relationship is complex and perhaps eternal. We met once in the garden at the beginning of the world and, unaware of our twin destinies, we matched stares across a dry fountain. And I recall her smiling at me before she devoured the lawn and trees with a translucent blue flame and tore flagstones from the path and hurled them into the sky, screaming my sins. I powder a granite monument in a soundless flash, showering the grass with molten drops of its gold inlay, sending smoking chips of stone skipping into the fog. She splinters an ancient oak with a force that takes my breath and hurls me to the ground."

The United States fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 26, 2019

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr3smHbk42A

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

As if Rose has not already been excised out of the plot like Jar-Jar was after TPM. She'll get one or two lines where she says she's been promoted to a place offscreen "That totally isn't plot irrelevant honest" and we'll never hear of her again. That way Disney can get rid of her and still pretend they're not admitting she sucks.

Stairmaster posted:

why do you think they introduced that character in the first place

certainly cant have him kissing ray or poe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McQZpxjthh4

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Finn x Poe fanfic looking good

The United States fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 5, 2019

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

These are my sons, Power and Tractor Beam

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Into Darkness is a 9/11 truther movie, it's like the loose change kids were given a multi-million dollar budget

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

FlamingLiberal posted:

All JJ had to do was just make Cumberbatch into one of the other Augments that wasn’t Khan, but they just had to have a name character
Cumberbatch was clearly intended to be Joachim, he even looks like him, and Khan was going to be someone else in the background set up as a future villain (probably why they were trying to get Benicio Del Toro: to continue the fine tradition of casting actors from Mexico with fabulous hair as Khan), but at some point someone said gently caress it and just made Dr. Strange into Khan.

The United States fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 27, 2019

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

TTBF posted:

It's the Newtype mind meld from Gundam. Basically not-Jedis sometimes encounter other not-Jedis that they become pair bonded with due to being on the same psychic wavelength. The end result is basically what happened between Kylo and Rey except you can't transfer items and instead of seeing the other's surroundings you both start tripping hard. It almost always happens between enemies who end up trying to kill each other. It's great for moving the plot along because a Newtype hero or villain can go "ah my counterpart is heading to such and such to do this and that" and no one bothers to ask how they learned that or why they hadn't known that earlier because that's just how Newtypes work. You might have noticed some of that in Rise of Skywalker.

Don't know why they needed a special bloodline though. That's all JJ.

After decades of Gundam taking from Star Wars (the not-Vader whose theme that is first shows up in a not-Star Destroyer) it was about time Star Wars stole from Gundam. I just wish it had been the beam javelin instead of any of the Newtype stuff.
It's only fair since Star Wars took the speeder bike chase from Gundam

Pollyanna posted:

Can someone recommend me some good space battle stuff, like clips or compilations? Just something to enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNlw5N0mio

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

feedmyleg posted:

I read some of those comics. They were very bad.

Good Star Wars things in chronological order:
ANH, Alec Guinness hating Star Wars, the Moebius-style Boba Fett Cartoon from the Holiday Special, the Star Wars Muppet Show episode, ESB, Harrison Ford hating Star Wars, the 80s Droids comics, the Tag & Bink comics, George Lucas hating Star Wars fans, the 2D Clone Wars, the 3D Clone Wars, George Lucas hating Star Wars, TLJ, me hating Star Wars
Ahem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNss5RWD6mY

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/06/26/mark-hamill-on-the-weirdly-tragic-trajectory-of-luke-skywalker

“It is tragic. I'm not a method actor, but one of the techniques a method actor will use is to try and use real-life experiences to relate to whatever fictional scenario he's involved in. The only thing I could think of, given the screenplay that I read, was that I was of the Beatles generation - ‘All You Need Is Love’, ‘peace and love’.

“I thought at that time, when I was a teenager: ‘By the time we get in power, there will be no more war, there will be no racial discrimination, and pot will be legal.’ So I'm one for three. When you think about it, [my generation is] a failure. The world is unquestionably worse now than it was then.”

There’s definitely some questioning to be done about whether that’s unquestionable, but rewatching The Last Jedi knowing this is Hamill’s feeling lends the role extra pathos. ‘Luke as horrified baby boomer’ not only makes his retreat from a disappointing world (well, galaxy) more understandable, but helps bring his bittersweet last decision into focus.

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean let's be honest, the real problem is that the movies were not written as a thematic trilogy with the purpose of telling a story, but as individual cash cows designed to maximize revenue streams. Rey's heritage, Palp's involvement, that's all poo poo that should have been figured out before they even started filming. The fact that they didn't thus shouldn't be placed on the individual directors/writers, but instead on Disney's indifferent and careless handling of the franchise as a whole.
https://twitter.com/MichaelDeFreest/status/1218781180796915714

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

homullus posted:

TIE fighters are called that because of their shape. The "Twin Ion Engine" nonsense obviously came later, because the ship models only have the one thing in back.
The ion engines are the red light thingies of which there are two

But yeah they do kinda look like bow ties

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

https://twitter.com/OutofVtubers/status/1208132581507518464

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsNwP_1kTZQ

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

who burnt down the school?

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

It's heavily implied to have been Sheev. No I'm not joking.
wait I thought sheev in rots just talked about being all the voices in kyle's head? did he tell him to burn down the school or something?

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNss5RWD6mY

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Wasn't he buying destroying prints of the originals?

Like, good lord. The scene with Greedo and Han is so loving awkward now. There's an obvious glitch that makes it look like poo poo and Lucas just doesn't care that he's destroyed the film in all aspects.

Not only that, but he's destroying the unaltered originals that don't have the problem of looking like poo poo.

He has a serious mental illness.
Lucas is doing what brings him joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnHyStDZ3_U

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

The Death Star is really just a giant lightsaber

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Yeah reminder that according to George Lucas the Empire = America. So them being a racially and sexually diverse group who think they are doing the right thing is pretty true to Star Wars.

Looking at info about the Star Wars: Starfighter 4: X-Wing 7: Squadrons game it sounds like they are bringing back the idea about the Rebellion/Resistance building anti-Empire superweapons of their own that was left on the cutting room floor from The Force Awakens

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

AdmiralViscen posted:

Who were the non white or woman or alien imperials in the OT? It’s no accident that there were none. The empire as America isn’t a melting pot, it’s the people running the show in America. White men.
As America becomes less homogenously white and male then so does the Empire. But it remains the Empire.

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

AdmiralViscen posted:

I would argue that Disney’s interpretation of the Empire/FO is meaningfully and obviously distinct from Lucas’ vision. They are intentionally about as far from biting social critique as they can get. They just want to use the iconography to sell Brand
Whether it's intentional or not, it does support and enhance the original thesis that America = Empire.

Rogue One also goes even further by making the Death Star = Nukes.

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

AdmiralViscen posted:

PoC and women aren’t the fascists in America. Putting diversity on the oppressive side of the equation is way to equivocate and defang the themes of this franchise, not an allegory for our modern world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqipkDb0KGE

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

AdmiralViscen posted:

Someone being duped or conditioned or bribed into supporting white supremacy is still supporting white supremacy. A Hispanic cop or a Black chief of police is not spearheading a Hispanic or Black fascist movement. They are powerless in their own system, beyond their little fiefdom (and even within it).

But that’s kind of beside the point, and isn’t what I was saying. Casting Black actors as imperial leadership under Disney isn’t being done to strengthen or modernize the anti American themes of the franchise. These movies are not nuanced enough to capture the intricacies of american fascism, even if they wanted to. They should go broad with the allegory so it’s clearly readable, and that means white man bad guys and diverse rebels. They’re not doing that because they are intentionally paving over the allegory.

The real life PoC serving the system are not the equivalent of high ranking imperial officers making the Big Decisions in these fictional narratives.

Like, if they wanted to tell a story of how someone could be brainwashed into betraying their own class and peers by an oppressive system, they have Finn right here. They very much did not tell that story.
Seems like you're talking about how you want things to be, not how they are.

The United States fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 10, 2020

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

HYPERFUEL

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's wild that a character worse than zori bliss appears in a movie already containing zori bliss
It's actually really cool that a power ranger showed up in a star wars

Jannah should have been a power ranger too

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

It gets better, he's got antennae... and a gun

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

the part where the skeleton boss from contra appeared was pretty good

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

The proper name is PSYCHO CRUSHER

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

smh that you didn't watch the backstroke of the west dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XziLNeFm1ok#t=4258s

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Palpatine is Ray's grandfather

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

yea i am

she sucks
what did you accomplish before you turned 18 gramps?

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

Also this

https://sites.prh.com/highrepublic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Melman v2

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yes but this review gives away the all important plot https://tv.avclub.com/the-lego-star-wars-holiday-special-assembles-all-the-be-1845654684

I don't know if there is anyone alive after star wars 9 who is remotely qualified to train someone to be a jedi, but if the best option is rey it would probably be better to just not have any jedi for a while
Couldn't be any worse than Luke, really