Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Its Coke posted:

once you realize that TLJ is #resistance incarnate it makes a lot more sense and critiques of it can become more coherent

the way the movie seems like it's going in an interesting, maybe even revolutionary new direction and then totally fails to commit and backpedals? that's Obamaism. the way it treats the First Order as totally comically ridiculous yet they stomp the Resistance's loving asses into the ground? that's Trump. the way they a save few of the animals to make themselves feel a little better on a personal level but it does nothing to fix any structural problems? that's inspirational stories about someone's grandma still working, plastic straw bans, the individual mandate, debt forgiveness for students who start a business on a Tuesday when the moon is full

colored hair woman dressing down a man in a way that looks feminist on the most rudimentary, pandering surface level but is totally empty of meaning. don't make sacrifices for a cause Finn, you the individual are more important and love will save us. yes we lost, but we just need to have hope and keep using exactly the same strategies and we'll win

it perfectly, inadvertently depicts a specific historical psychosis through cinema. The Last Jedi is a masterpiece

Yeah, the movie makes a lot more sense viewing it through this lens. It’s very Clintonian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s an issue of literacy. The film is so bizarre as a result of all the edits and reshoots that, when asked what the theme is, fans just start quoting random characters. I don’t know what’s going on, but surely Kylo does. It’s about ‘letting the past die and killing it if you have to’, right?

No, the moral - the preferred reading - is to not let the past die.

Luke was already letting the past die by keeping the books a secret from the rest of the universe: “I came here to die.” The burning of the dead tree represents the dead past coming back to life, to influence the present.

Poe learns to trust Leia instead of doing his own thing. FN learns to be a Rebel instead of doing his own thing. Ren tries to do his own thing, so he goes crazy-stupid and poops himself & everyone laughs at him.

In the end, they have “everything they need”:

-Millenium Falcon
-Lightsaber
-Chewbacca
-C3PO
-R2-D2
-Rebels
-Jedi
-Luke Skywalker
-Princess Leia

That’s the moral. It’s a big, sloppy tribute to the Star Wars franchise.

This is exactly why I said in the non-spoiler thread that the entire reasoning behind The Last Jedi is "make it more Star Wars". It's clearly intended to be mindless ticket bait, and it's not worth taking seriously. Best thing to do is treat it like a cheesy Friday night popcorn movie, which it's pretty good at being.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This snippet from an interview with Abrams definitely doesn't bode well for TRoS

Clearly based on what he says there, it didn't matter to his plans that Snoke got killed off which to me just makes that character even more of a waste of time

This entire new trilogy feels like a gamemaster making poo poo up out of whole cloth for their RPG campaign. I mean, it works for your D&D sessions, but for a movie...?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 29, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That spoiler slide deck seems like the boring kind of awful. I really hope that they end this series with a hell of a bang. Order 69 or riot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is...is Chewie dead?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why is it called Rise of the Skywalker when there are no Skywalkers left?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonz posted:

Rey allegedly takes the surname in the final scene to carry on the Skywalker legacy of failure and hubris.

That's if that one PDF is accurate. Does this new spot confirm anything else?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mat Cauthon posted:

The most recent spots appear to confirm:

- Rey fleeing to Acht-to in Kylo's ship and then scuttling it
- Rey and Kylo destroying the Vader shrine in the midst of a fight (possibly through their Force bond)
- Kylo landing on some Sith planet and entering an ominous pyramid-like structure
- A Death Star-like beam striking a planet

There are a few other things as well. Might just be a lot of coincidence, might not be. In any case it feels like the media blitz for this one is a bit restrained for what you would expect for the final movie in a Star Wars trilogy.

Oh boy :dance: This is gonna be an amazing shitshow.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can’t wait for Order 67.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Lmao, boyega must be done as gently caress with Disney in general. Don't blame him, Finn as a character is a total mess and Disney openly using the Chinese market as an excuse to cut him out of promotional stuff can't be much fun.

Wait, what’s this about?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The name makes the leaks more plausible.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no real understanding of Chinese culture or society, but I am not at all surprised that races other than asian (or, due to international influence, white) don't do well there. I highly disagree with whitewashing/excluding minorities from films just to get Chinese money, however, and we'd all be better off if we didn't bother to accommodate those sentiments.

Its Coke posted:

I'm laughing at anyone who didn't read those leaks and immediately know they were true because it's impossible to make it up something so characteristically Abrams

Ugh, so all this is because Abrams's writing is hackneyed lazy derivative crap? Because that's what those leaks suggest the movie is.

It will be very interesting to see what reception of TLJ is like post-TROS. I suspect it will end up looking better in comparison.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 1, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

OctoberCountry posted:

quote:

The dynamic between Rey & Kylo was nothing more than “BE EVIL WITH ME” “NO!” “COME ON, BE EVIL WITH ME” “NO!”

To be fair, it’s not like that’s any different from how it currently is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Who’s the dipshit with maul lightsabers?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ohhh that is Rey, derp.

Can’t wait for Pulp to say Execute Order 67. Cause I’m pretty sure that was in the leaks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Papercut posted:

Holy poo poo lol

I can not wait for the 20th. This is gonna be such a shitshow and I wanna be there to see the looks on people’s faces :munch:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzeOrA2in1c&t=7m2s

I completely missed that the guy who wrote Batman vs Superman and Justice League is writing the script for Rise of Skywalker. Oh man.

This is definitely going to be a no-brain popcorn movie. I hope it's mostly ship battles, those are my favorite.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think the thing I find hardest to believe in the leaks is the implication that Harrison Ford shows up again as Han Solo. I can't see any amount of money being enough for him to come back.

The MSJ posted:

If it's anything like BvS, it definitely won't be a no-brain popcorn movie. In fact, one of the main complaints about BvS is that it wasn't that kind of movie. Justice League also went under heavy rewrites by Joss Whedon.

Chris Terrio was brought in to BvS because he was the writer for Ben Affleck's Oscar-winning Argo, and I think he joined TROS at the recommendation of Zack Snyder who is Abrams' friend.

Ahh, gotcha.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Force Reverse Aging. Palpatine absorbs all the Force in the universe and de-ages and turns into Hayden Christensen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve practically committed the leaks to memory and I am just shivering in expectation at seeing people react to the film. I can’t wait.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like I’m racking my brain trying to figure out how to make that climax and its backing premise anything but incredibly dumb and it’s just impossible. I haven’t even seen the movie and it’s already making me laugh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have a lot of experience with lost causes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mandrel posted:

TLJ’s politics are so aggressively neoliberal that it’s always super predictable the people who will tell you it’s their favorite star wars

I want to like TLJ more because I liked that it tried to go for something new with Luke being all hosed up, everyone failing all the time, and the whole "kill the past" thing, but it just really did not deliver on that at all. It could have been better than TFA if it went whole hog on that :shrug:

That said, TROS looks like it's going to be even worse. And yes, TLJ ended up being neoliberal poo poo, and I say that as pretty much a complete leftist.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 7, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, can someone tell me why the gently caress Palpatine is back? Who wanted this?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can't stop watching those Youtube nerds freaking out over all of this.

People seem generally unhappy over the movie, whenever they reference the leaks. If those leaks are true, this movie is not going to be well received. It's already kind of contentious, with people generally splitting into one of two camps:

1. Wait and see how the final product looks, or
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzeOrA2in1c&t=7m17s

I don't see a lot of people who are actually hyped online if they've already read the leaks. The people using the hashtags on Twitter seem uninformed, and it's going to be super super fun to compare sentiment from a few days before the movie releases to when it's out. I'm considering collecting tweets with the hashtag from 12/15 to 12/21, and doing an analysis.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Execute Order 69 :heysexy:

e: One more comment on the following

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can't stop watching those Youtube nerds freaking out over all of this.

Most of the people freaking out over the leaks have this bizarre MRA-level hate for Ridley/Rey to the point that most of the poo poo they talk is about her being a Mary Sue and SJW this and that and whatever. Good to know that horrible Star Wars internet nerds are still horrible internet nerds, because lord knows we need more gross poo poo in the world.

It is really, really hard to divorce criticism of the Rey character from the heavily-associated "gently caress this SJW poo poo" sentiment, so the fandom is going to be nightmarish basically forever. I'm glad I'm an outsider looking in and tapping the glass on the ant farm.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 7, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also jesus, Oscar Isaac is only 40 years old? He looks like he's aged to his mid-50s between now and 2015.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Combat Pretzel posted:

RLM is a bad example, because they're pretty reasonable.

I mean more that sort of poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma00AFQmcg0&t=126s

No, I mean that I’m using RLM’s reaction of “this is going to be a nightmare” to contrast with the other opinion of “it might not be a disaster, let’s see what happens”.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone who starts yammering about Kathleen Kennedy is almost 100% some sorta fuckin' MRA pig.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Horizon Burning posted:

so are we taking bets on kylo's 'i'll finish what you started' is going to mean, like, he always knew palpatine was alive and so he was going to finish what vader started by killing him?

It will mean literally nothing and have no follow up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

There was one leak (and I think it was the same leak that gave us "Execute Order 67") that said pretty much everyone dies at the end, and specifically mentions the Falcon blows up with Lando, Chewie and C3PO inside. I don't think this one is super-likely but I decided to come at it from a worst-case-scenario angle.

That was a 4chan post so it was 100% fake.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

In all honesty this movie sounds like it's going to be fun as hell and I honestly think initial response will be on the positive side. Abrams has a way of just blasting through the stupid nonsensical story stuff and piling on all the crowd-pleasing moments to make sure everybody's walking out of the theater with smiles on their faces despite themselves. Later on everybody will be like, "That was really stupid when you think about it" a la Star Trek Into Darkness but I don't think this will be some disaster the way people here are anticipating.

Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter is such a "pull out of their rear end" move, but if the movie is able to sell and milk the theme of "gently caress what they say; you CAN choose your family" with the supposed final line I think it'll go down like gangbusters with the audience.

Along the same lines, if it's true all the other characters perish in the final battle, if they're able to really sell the idea that yes, this is IT, this is the big ultimate last stand, and have everybody give each other Meaningful Looks going in like "we're probably not coming out of this" I think audiences will go along with it. I don't think it's just going to be a totally random shot out of nowhere of Lando yelling "I'M HIIIIT" and the Falcon blowing up during a "fun" space battle as if the crew were just random fat X-wing people (famous last words).

That all said, I'm basically assuming that whatever leak that had "Execute Order 67" is fake (especially since from what I hear the reveal of the zombie Star Destroyer fleet happens near the beginning, not the end)--I think somebody's having fun by taking all the plausible-sounding leaks together and sprinkling in super-ridiculous stuff like that to freak everyone out. Like, there is just no saving "Execute Order 67".

I don't doubt that it will be fun in a way, and honestly that's what we should be doing when we watch Star Wars (it seriously cannot handle anything smart), it's just gonna be real loving dumb plot-wise and a lot of people who take it too seriously will get real mad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Horizon Burning posted:

In the case of Boyega and Isaac, I have the feeling they weren't too happy about playing 'goofy black guy comic relief' and 'hotheaded, misogynistic Latino.'

How much of this was Abrams and how much of it was Johnson?

(answer: Disney)

I agree, I think they really hosed up their characters. Keeping them as a trio that worked off if each other would have been awesome, and if Disney didn’t poo poo their pants over China or whatever we coulda gotten some real representation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

pospysyl posted:

Oscar Isaac is his stage name, his full name is Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada. He was born in Guatemala. I won't pretend I didn't look that up on Wikipedia, but he is recognizably Latino. It is funny that studios have cast him as Jewish, Egyptian, Italian, and Slovakian though.

Eyyyy, hell yeah! There's a sizable variation in literal race in Guatemala, yeah. It's a Spanish colonialism thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ThanosWasRight posted:

Yes but his name in the movie isn't latino. He isn't portrayed as Latino. He doesn't speak spanish. His name is Poe Dameron for fucks sake. If anything he's portrayed as Italian.

Also making good Star Wars films is actually very very easy.

See you go, find a really good classic japanese/western film, change the characters to jedi/sith and rebels/empire and that's all you loving need to do.

That's why Rogue One is good, it's just a Star Wars version of Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven.

Just as A New Hope is The Hidden Fortress/Stagecoach.

They should have just adapted The Good the Bad and the Ugly and been done with it.

You know, that would be pretty cool. Star Wars themed remakes/ripoffs of other, more successful films. At least we know we'd get something proven to be doable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dead. I am dead.

:munch: I can’t wait for the release.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Way I see it, two possibilities:

1. The leaks are not accurate, and the movie could potentially be better than what we’re expecting
2. The leaks are accurate, and I get to watch a whole lot of people get mad :dance:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't think I saw anything in the leaks about ship battles. I know there's Star Destroyers, but like they just sort of show up and menace things, then Palpatine gets Windu'd, then ??????????. There aren't even ship battles in this Star Wars come the gently caress on. Gimme my fuckin' X-wings!!!

I'm gonna be real: it's really looking like Last Jedi might be better than Rise of Skywalker. And I didn't hate Last Jedi, I thought it was really fun and teased us with a bunch of cool directions things could go in. It just totally backtracked on all that stuff and left us with nothing good left.

Watch the movie again and I swear, you can pinpoint the exact moment a Disney executive pointed at the screen and said "no, cut this part out and add the ending our marketing team says will get us more money".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Either way, I can't wait to see people's reaction and how Disney's going to rationalize the poor reception.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s no way Disney is happy with the franchise now, I would expect them to just park it indefinitely. No profit, no point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's their own loving fault, they hired an idiot hack fraud to direct TFA (and then later TROS) who was only interested in spectacle and gloss and didn't actually bother to plan poo poo out, and they paid for it in the end.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hate how there’s still a week until we get reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Polo-Rican posted:

This is why I have sympathy for Rian Johnson. He was given a boring grey lump of a story and asked to write part 2 of a trilogy, with zero insight into the overall arc of the trilogy.

edit: also, doing this while Disney peers over your shoulder, ready to fire you in an instant and reshoot everything if what you write doesn't feel right to them, as they've done with a dozen directors over the course of the new films

Serious question here: did TLJ get rewrites or hijacked at some point? The movie is perfectly fine, even has some interesting directions, until the last 30-45 minutes where it completely reverses its direction. It feels like someone saw the original 1h45m cut, said “no we can’t have this”, and forced a tacked-on 30-45 minutes that contradicts the rest of the film.

Is that what happened? That’s the only explanation I have for how it was structured.