Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
force awakens made 900 million dollars, last jedi made 600 million, rogue one made 500 million, it feels so hard to tell if the air is coming out of the star wars brand and this is a clear downward trend (that will probably continue with this movie) or if each thing is an individual case and none of it means anything particular, and it feels like this movie isn't a test case either.

Marvel is as close to a perfect upward arrow as you could imagine for it's A and B string movies, even DC movies roughly trend positive with every movie being more likely to make more money than less money than the ones before it. Star wars movies seem to actually be petering out. If this really does make less money and 2 A string and 2 B string movies is really enough to draw trend lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

kidkissinger posted:

They aren't going to loving remake the prequels.

I bet they eventually make a "young darth vader" movie showing his early years as vader if they keep making these movies and I bet there is potential they summarize his origin story with a refilmed set of flashbacks.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Calico Heart posted:

"how can a character that's only been in two movies and only done the things you've seen her do be wasted?"

This doesn't seem confusing. This isn't documentary footage where people are real and we just have to live with the personalities they happen to have. Someone wrote this script and and artist created the looks, people are complaining when good character design is wasted on bad character. That is the waste.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

stormtrooper, but silver, does not equal good character design

She had a cape and a big gun too. Storm troopers themselves are a good design that has been iconic for decades, a cooler silver one with a cape is a design a lot of people like and feel was wasted on a character that isn't really that important.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mecha Gojira posted:

The weirdest thing about New Star Wars is the emphasis on things rather than characters. Like the Millennium Falcon being center-stage, close-ups of Anakin's lightsaber, the loving dice in the cockpit that you couldn't even loving see if you were watching the movies on VHS back in 1995. Compare Rey discovering Anakin's lightsaber to Obi Wan giving that same saber to Luke. There's close-ups of the prop that lead to visions. Meanwhile, Luke just loving swings it around like it's an old toy. Honestly, that's the most jarring thing about the new trilogy versus the old.

Yeah, because the original Star Wars props were made of literal garbage and if they showed them too well it’s too odvious everything is made of fishing pole parts and cameras and ice cream makers

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Chewie won't die yet. He can be in the fourth trilogy whenever that happens. Disney isn't going to let that one go.

Yeah, nothing that can be replaced with CGI will ever die. R2-D2 will be indestructible forever because he just beeps and boops but C3PO might eventually die when Anthony Daniels retires.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Calico Heart posted:

I guess I shouldn't ever be surprised what dorks complain about in TLJ but for real "we need fuel" is a concept people don't like?

I don't think anyone objectively hates spaceships having fuel and I think everyone assumed the ships used fuel, the whole chase scene in TLJ was just super convoluted with a bunch of elements working a really specific way that seemed to have a huge list of rules that had never been in star wars before, so there was a ton of specifics about how speed and shields and fuel and cloaking worked or didn't work that felt like problem solving by technobabble that isn't normally very star wars.

What was and wasn't possible for anyone to do or not do felt very fuzzy for a lot of the movie. It made it hard to engage in parts of the plot. Star wars normally either explains things or hand waves over them with "don't worry how it works", this was an extended scene with a bunch of sci-fi systems that were all vital with no real guidance on how to keep track of whats what.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Angry Salami posted:

Finn:
"Technically, I don't even have a first name."

CATS and star wars are the same plot. Everyone saying their various names so they can pick who is killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like at this point the movies have had like, half a dozen examples of demonstrating you can be a force ghost or voice without being dead. It doesn't feel like a plot hole.