Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

pospysyl posted:

Why is the Millennium Falcon placed in such a prominent role while R2-D2, a much more iconic bit of Star Wars imagery, is sidelined?

The evil influence of Big Lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ammanas posted:

should call it chewbacca: homecoming and have michael keaton in it

Mr. Mom starring Chewbacca

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jerkface posted:

one could look at the prequels... (they all have As)

Is this supposed to be an endorsement of your position? Lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The prequels getting enthusiastic exit scores is an indication that exit scores are not a metric that is useful for much more than demonstrating the sunk cost fallacy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Luke's defining character trait in the OT, and the thing that makes him more powerful than Vader or the Emperor, is his faith in the humanity of his father. The Jedi poo poo is great and all, but what actually brings down the Empire is his rejection of the idea that Vader was beyond hope.

I don't like TLJ because it tosses out that defining characteristic, which for me was also the defining moral of the OT, and it's not clear to me that it did it for any particularly important reason. I don't care if that's childish or not, it's one of the big things I liked about SW.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Preston Waters posted:

He was just the latest rear end in a top hat in charge. That's why I love it. He wasn't important other than the fact that he accumulated wealth and power.

I love flat cartoon characters, so classic. People that didn't like it just need to grow up!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Preston Waters posted:

He's not the focus of the story. Sorry you can't deal with this and have to act like a tool though.

As many people have pointed out, his pivotal role in Kylo Ren's character arc begs for further explanation. It's fine if you like that he's barely even a character, but telling anyone who disliked the film to grow up while simultaneously praising the lack of character development is ironic.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

In the brief glimpse, I just assumed the horses were tantans. Cause they have to bring back everything from the OT.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like having kylo run the empire for a year kinda robs him of what thin goodboy momentum he had remaining, which was really propped up by the films taking place over two days. But sure, whatever, guess he's goodboy now

He killed Han but he feels bad about it now so it's all good guys.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The starkillers are getting smaller!!! :aaaaa:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

I love R2D2 a lot too, hence why he was my pick. Him, C3PO, Chewbacca, and the Falcon would be the biggest and only gut punches in deaths for me.

Nothing can phase me because nothing past the OT counts. I hope everyone gets cut in half and falls down an endless pit and then shows up in later scenes perfectly fine with no explanation at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The version that uses Hayden's ghost makes no sense because it's just some random dude we've never seen before instead of the guy we watched die on screen like five minutes earlier.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

its made for people who've seen 1, 2 and 3.
so its the "good guy" you know and love and not the geriatric in a can

Yeah making something that makes no sense within the context of your movie, to wink at people who have seen other movies, is stupid and bad.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

imho it's Rise of the Skywalker that's squandering Kylo, not TLJ. In TFA he's a sad loser fanboy, and in TLJ he drops the imitation (smashing his mask) and comes into his own as a strong force to be reckoned with. He could be a cool-rear end character in Skywalker if they committed to him being the primary antagonist, but instead it looks like he devolves again into a Vader-like pawn of a Sith figure.

edit: in retrospect it completely owns that, like, 100 concept artists and businesspeople probably spent 100,000 hours designing and approving Kylo's mask design for TFA, and then in TLJ Snoke literally says "take off that stupid loving mask!!!" and kylo smashes it in an elevator lol. TLJ has so many problems but I can't think of many sequels that are as aggressive in their criticism of the source material.

I'm not sure sequels openly trashing the backstories they're based on is as laudable as you seem to be making it here

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Have the spoilers revealed which LOST actors are being cast for this one?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know this is a joke but actually Dominic Monaghan is in this one!

Aww, poor Charlie :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

teagone posted:

She fell into a fiery pit. I think she's permadead. I'll laugh if she comes back though.

Darth Maul got cut in half and fell into a bottomless pit and is still alive.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1189573143829962752

I do like seeing Hayden making a bit of a comeback to Star Wars lately. Makes me think we really will see a cameo from him in TROS.

There's no way that girl knows who the gently caress this dude is lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

She might. Kids like the prequels.

My kids watch the prequels all the time, but the Hayden Christensen pictured just looks like some guy, they would never recognize him.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

teagone posted:

I personally don't want to settle for a baseline quality that amounts to "just ok" with Star Wars. Keep that for the MCU, and I hope Disney keeps Feige on the MCU. What I'd like to see is Disney giving Dave Filoni creative control over Lucasfilm movie ventures. That's the best case scenario imo, not deploying the MCU formula to Star Wars..

The baseline of quality that the current arrangement is giving us is incoherent garbage though. At least with the MCU approach we could expect relatively coherent garbage.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

At the end of the movie, Rey hands force ghost Luke the film reel that contains the answers to all the unresolved plot lines (which is all of them) and he shrugs and tosses it over his shoulder. Roll credits.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

They don't even liberate the horses, they let them out of their pen so they can run to the nearby beach for a bit and then presumably be herded back up because where else are they gonna go

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

TOO BAD THE PREQUELS WERE BAD MOVIES.

It is too bad, yeah. Would've been cool if someone made good movies out of this story.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Moose King posted:

Off the top of my head, the verified leaks have the dagger having directions to Sheev. In order to read the map on the dagger they have to install DaggerDecoder.exe on 3PO but he doesn't have enough hard drive space so they delete his memories to make room, luckily R2 has a backup 3PO's-Memories.txt stored from a couple years ago so it's fine. After they go to the desert bazaar planet for that, Kylo and the jetpack catapult bike stormtroopers attack and at some point Chewie gets nabbed and put on a shuttle. Rey accidentally Force Lightnings the shuttle and blows it up, everyone thinks Chewie is dead but then it turns out he was on a different shuttle and is perfectly fine. Everyone goes to Sheev's iceberg thing where he's got a million old Star Destroyers with Death Star superlasers, there's a big space battle while Sheev shoots a ton of lightning into space and blows a bunch of stuff up. Force Ghost Han shows up at one point and talks to Kylo, but then Kylo gets yeeted into a pit and never shows up again. The ghosts of Luke and Leia kill Sheev's soul or something so he can't come back again. Movie ends with Rey visiting the old Lars farm on Tatooine (probably during a binary sunset) and someone asks who she is and she says her name is Rey Skywalker, credits roll.

Also they go to the wreckage of the second Death Star at some point, I forget why.

Holy poo poo lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought the only characters that died according to the leaks were Hux, Leia, Palpatine (obviously), and Kylo?

Kylo doesn't die, he just falls down a bottomless pit

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

just another posted:

Surely he'd die of starvation, eventually.

He's sustaining himself on Maul's legs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Good Lord that movie was bad, what the gently caress

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

So the editing was absolutely manic and sucked. Ping-ponging constantly between shots, characters, conversations, and planets. Each character having the same exposition delivered to them back-to-back. The desert chase going from plain to cramped pass with no transition or view of the upcoming terrain change TWICE followed, the jet pack troopers appearing and disappearing, then whew we’re okay on no we’re in quicksand whoop okay again uh oh skeleton AAH SNAKE. I don’t think we lingered on a single subject for more than three seconds until maybe the big desert festival dance.

My geek nitpick is that planet-destroying weaponry can now fit on your Star Destroyers. If you want to pander to nerds, make them all Eclipses.

It wasn't just the editing, the plot itself followed this same scheme. It was an onslaught of "That's impossible! - convenient solution - That's impossible! - convenient solution..." at an almost parody-like pace.

The movie also suffered from ridiculous character bloat, but that's mostly the fault of the entire trilogy. Even my 7 year old kid made a comment afterwards about how there were so many characters that we didn't get to learn much about.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Onmi posted:

I dislike the entire idea of this trilogy that Luke went to go found an order exactly as bad as the one founded in the Old Republic. He has no knowledge of that era and their rules, no reason to think them necessary. What happened to all the other Jedi Likes who survived the war? It's just so... weird.

The only good part of this trilogy were the actors. Which makes it even worse because you imagine what a competent production team could have done with that cast over the course of 3 movies.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm of the impression that JJ is addicted to making Trailer Moments. Shots like Rey facing down BenRen in the desert, lightsaber vs fighter - a cool shot in isolation, but the movie is blatantly distorted so that he can fit that sequence into it. Not only does Rey run down to the desert for pretty much no reason, but then Kylo gets in an incredibly bad accident which is completely ignored so that they can move on to the next plot beat, which is *another* cool dramatic moment that is then made utterly pointless to conform to the actual plot.

I actually enjoyed the trailer, it was pretty great even though you could tell the movie was gonna be poo poo. The emotional moments of the film hit much more effectively in trailer form too, like that C3PO friends bit which in the movie just felt like wtf you barely even know these kids.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The leaker is definitely JJ or his personal assistant and most of that list is lol terrible.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Imagine having to sit through an entire extra hour (or even multiple hours stretched across another movie!) of that terrible movie

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mycot posted:

The Reylos are ultimately right because Kylo Ren's and Rey's endings suck and don't actually resolve anything (other than who Rey's parents were in the most literal sense I guess??)

Wait did they actually tell us who her parents were? We know she's palpatine's granddaughter but I thought her parents were just vaguely handwaved away, like oh and then palpatine had his grandkid kidnapped and his adult child murdered for some reason blah blah look over there!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I'm still dumbfounded that so many people liked this piece of poo poo.

It got pretty bad reviews and so far the financials seem to be mediocre so I'm not sure that many people did?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

they didn't. not really. give people a few months and they'll turn on it. the few people i know who've seen tros basically all posted the same thing: 'it was a fun ride.' followed by multiple paragraphs of stuff they hated.

Even my friends who loved eps vii and viii and were excited about ix beforehand had zero interest in seeing it again

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

They should've just titled the movie "Somehow Palpatine Returned"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I find it kind of endearing that JJ Abrams seems to keep making friends with people he works with and finding excuses to get them bit parts in his next project

Maybe they're the only people left willing to work on his projects with him.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Are those real sketches from the actual costume designer of a major Hollywood movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Although I have to ask, and not being snarky I just want to see (or hear) for myself, but besides a Nolan joint, which recent film has bad sound mixing?

I’ve had issues sometimes with sound but I felt it was probably more the TV and trying to lower it at night than anything else.

Like, every action movie in the last idk how many years? I had issues with both Jurassic World and Dr. Strange for sure, The Grey Man, basically everything with explosions is quiet as gently caress and then BOOM YOUR EARDRUMS ARE DEAD