Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wild Horses posted:

loving kill the millenium falcon

If you meet the Falcon on the Kessel Run, dismantle it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

KVeezy3 posted:

Star Wars isn't a movie, it's a brand. And to clarify, profitability for shareholders and executives is not just a single instance of failure like Solo, but takes into consideration its future earning potential. Their current process allows them to churn out films at an absurd pace using interchangeable creative pieces. This process is more valuable than anything.

Wheat Loaf posted:

All the Star Wars movies are much of a muchness for me.

Then the Emperor has already won...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

tino posted:

You are fine with paying $40-60 and 8 hours of your life for an incomplete story? Are you representative of average Star Wars fans?

Oh my yes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kidkissinger posted:

It was the "completely flat" part that bothered me hth

What does that mean

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Did anyone else look at that off-site post about esb vs rotj cinematography?

The rotj death star hangar scene close-ups of Vader look pretty good imo. But agree that the wide shots suck. And the sand skiff lineup isn't so bad; it's evocative of old sword-and-sandal epics. The establishing shot of Vader and Luke approaching the emperor's throne may not be as well-lit as it could've been, but it's still an awesome shot.

The esb carbonite chamber scene isn't bad, but i think it's a little bit cluttered and not as dynamic as it's made out to be. Although that stands in contrast to how effective the same set was for the Vader scene.

Other than those, I'm in agreement with the poster's frame comparisons. The Hoth base interior establishing shots are especially impressive to me; it's really hard to do such good work with a cluttered interior scene shot on an ultra-wide lens.

I remember having dreams that looked like scenes from esb after I saw it when I was a kid. It's really a very visually striking movie. I think its visual design and cinematography are up there with blade runner, alien, and 2001.

The prequels? For a trilogy made by the same director working the same way with similar tools for each film, it's kind of uneven. The 'jedi action' scenes (trade federation ship interior, tatooine escape, and Darth maul confrontation) of tpm are great. Most of rots is ok; not inspired, but you can tell they made a lot of effort to work with directional lighting and camera movements to integrate the physical elements (like the actors) with the mostly-digital environments. But aotc is imo by far the best of the three. Everything from the foggy opening scene with the exploding ship on coruscent to the coliseum fight/battle of genosis is great. Although the padme apartment scenes and subsequent chase are probably the weakest and most by-the-numbers sequences in the film, in terms of how they were shot. But the battle of genosis and confrontation with dooku, with the racking focus between the gunships and lightsaber-illuminated fight in the grotto, were admirable. And please remember, I'm just talking about the camera work, lighting, and set design, not the characters, story, script, etc.

A lot of the Jedi shots are notable for how totally they waste great sets. Why is that hangar scene so close up when they’ve got like 9000 stormtrooper extras and a great color scheme? Why does the cool as poo poo Jabba’s opium den set look like a brown PowerPoint slide half the time?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is the ship a painting or a model there?

Either way obviously they could set that other shot up better, just look at this one

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Federation is much less protectionist than the Republic, so it is automatically better.

This is such a weird gimmick

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What if the Slavic hordes really were bent on the destruction of the German Volk? Makes u think

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Did he just completely gently caress off the forums though? Seems like he just stopped altogether.

He posted a response to throne of blood in his Japanese cinema thread recently. He has literally never seen any version or adaptation of hamlet

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 11, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dr.Radical posted:

Throne of Blood is Macbeth. The Bad Sleep Well is Hamlet. Ran is King Lear.

Yeah I was out of it, he reviewed bad sleep well

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thrawn527 posted:

Star Wars Episode IX: Return of the Snoke.

The Entire Snoke’s Back

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Preston Waters posted:

I'm sorry you're so neurotic. You should probably go see a psychiatrist in case it's undiagnosed aspergers.

The rest of us have not received any indication that Rey is a teenager. But even if she was and is over 18 it's completely legal. Also as someone with parents who are 9 years apart who have been happily married for 35 years, 11 years doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Feel free to continue making GBS threads up the thread about being triggered by a big nothingburger though.

Age of consent is actually 28 in the new republic, it’s way illegal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

IG-88 posted:

How about instead of crying about how Vader hates women, we cry about how awful the artwork is in that

Hey, you can do both

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, and Star Wars fans too, apparently.

weekly font posted:

This is much more understandable though.

Fucken plagiarists

DeimosRising posted:

Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars. More understandably, they don’t like Star Wars fans

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Sorry to dredge up the chat about that Vader comic, but from everything I read stating how awful it is, it's never mentioned that the nurse has been keeping a curio box of Vader's dead skin and bloody cyborg parts in her quarters. That is not normal by any stretch. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that fandom got upset since so many think Harley Quinn is a picture of sanity and romance.

What are you trying to say here cause I’m not getting it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Preston Waters posted:

This thread is full of the worst of the worst star wars fans. Just like mos eisley.

What Star Wars fans live in MOs eisley?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Brother Entropy posted:

light speed ramming isn't normally done because ships are expensive and the enemy usually has their shields up and can shoot you down if they aren't distracted by something else

complaining about the ramming is cinemasins-level analysis

Put the engines on a big rock space is full of big rocks it’s a really stupid plot point

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Preston Waters posted:

Watch this:

Why did they attack the Death Star at the wrong place and fly down the trench? Why did they want to do that and get shot up by the giant laser turrets? Why not just fly directly at the giant space station vagina and attack it from above, where it would also have been a much easier shot to make?

Why did the Empire land on Hoth with giant elephant walkers? Why not just bomb the poo poo out of them from orbit?

Why did Lando even dress up when rescuing Han? Luke was going to go there anyway, right? Why not just send the droids with Luke and have everyone waiting somewhere to attack?

Why send the entire Rebel Alliance fleet to attack Death Star II without knowing with absolute certainty that the shields were down? Couldn't they just wait in a system nearby and jump in with a moment's notice? Shouldn't they scout the planet for weeks and approach the native Ewoks directly to coordinate an attack on the shield generators? Why even bother with the bunker? Why not send an X-Wing squadron to Endor and blow the poo poo out of the dish and jump back to tell the entire fleet that the shields are down?

A: Because all of that would be boring as poo poo and it's a fuckin' movie, not some grand strategic sim.

The hole doesn’t point up and it’s easier to shoot ships in a dive which is extrmely basic to air combat

The giant space shield points up and the elephant tanks walk under it

Luke and the other characters did not make the plan together

We see very clearly that they are not successful at getting a covert team onto the ground undetected, hyperspeed is not instantaneous, they do have intelligence reports, the base has air defenses

You’re not real smart

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm sure leia going in person this time will seal the deal on recruiting her "allies" (people who were willing to sit in stony silence while listening to her get murdered over the radio)

That makes sense actually, they’re gonna be really embarrassed that’s she’s alive and be all oh huh how weird our space radio has been on the fritz...and we were in the bathroom...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sanguinia posted:

Jake Lloyd goes on InfoWars, gently caress him

Not the same jake Lloyd

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

galagazombie posted:

Ahem Squid Titties

You’re thinking of the other guys, mon calamari got fish heads despite the name

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kanine posted:

i actually really like the starhawk design, it makes a lot of sense considering the background of the ship is the new republic disassembling damaged star destroyers and creating a new frame

also i have a hunch the onager is meant to evoke a crossbow

The second one is just a really bulky version of the ship from the end of ESB. The first one, like the concept art posted earlier, has that big gap in the middle and I can’t stop thinking about how they’d have to get in a littler space ship to go from one side to the other or else go all the way around

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My sister in law got my kid some book about Chewbacca and porgs. Chewie doesn’t eat any and the porgs are portrayed as intelligent so uh...it would probably be weird if a kid was into that then saw the movie, since I understand he eats them or something. In conclusion, Porg

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wild Horses posted:

So whats the verdict on dramatic tension being ruined because of the hyperspace jihad strike?

I myself don’t know why I should care about the empire having a big fleet when massed asteroids with jump drives could decimate every single ship the empire has, at a fraction of the cost

These movies studiously refuse any consideration of economy, social relations, or culture whatsoever

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nonplussed means confused btw. I know that’s weird but it’s so

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

High Lord Elbow posted:

The ST writing is pure poo poo. The OT is also trash, but it was okay for the time. Standards have increased but the quality of Star Wars hasn’t and that makes me sad.

Hoping the Mandingo DeLorean is good.

You feel that the quality of film writing has”increased” over time?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YaketySass posted:

IMO "there's no Star Wars stories left to tell! The universe is too limited!" rings kind of weak. You don't even have to be original, Clone Wars riffed on Godzilla, Seven Samurai or Hitchcock without problems, and there's an entire catalogue of pulpy stories to steal from just like the original movies did.

The problem is the idea that the movies need escalating stakes, which means we keep getting Death Stars and Imperials because in terms of stakes, a dictatorship aiming to take over an entire galaxy and armed with planet-destroying weapons is kind of hard to topple. That Disney keeps recycling visuals from the original trilogy out of brand recognition doesn't help either, of course.

Why do they need escalating stakes?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I just missed where he said “the problem is the idea they need escalating stakes”, coulda sworn that wasn’t there originally

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Hey George, maybe not fill this movie full of racist caricatures? Also, could we build some sets too?

D for effort

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LionArcher posted:

But actually creating? So much harder to do that, and we’ll, and everyone feels so entitled these days that if it isn’t a classic or great, it’s looked down on. And that’s sad.

This is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cnut lives (unlike droids)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

How does this keep happening

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PeterWeller posted:

Oh man, I don't know if you're referring to this particular discussion or me becoming a pedantic poo poo like I did back in my 40K thread days (which was the behavior that made me force myself away from the forums for so long). Either way, thanks. You made me pause and reconsider.

Legit thanks for pointing out the obvious here because in my zeal to argue my position, I was missing the forest for the trees and unfairly characterizing the variety of droids and the ways in which they're treated as inconsistent. In my mind, I was resting on the idea that I didn't really give a poo poo about gonk droids until Jedi asked me to sympathize with one by showing the poor thing get tortured. That's not inconsistency. That's just how stories work.

I still don't think mind wiping 3PO at the end of Sith is some indictment of the Rebellion or its goals, but that's not because of any inconsistency in the narrative, and I was being silly to argue so.

I meant the discussion, I always liked you in the distant 40k posting days, whatever that side site we had was called

Good on you for listening and changing your mind on the internet tho

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YaketySass posted:

It would have been much better if it at least committed all the way to what Johnson was trying to do, but I suspect even he would have eventually chickened out and delivered a conventional conclusion.

It's kind of like how the uncritical lionization of Dany as a conqueror feminist icon in GoT was bad but still superior to pulling a "whoops, she did a fascism all along" at the last minute.

At least commit to one bad narrative instead of doing shallow contradictory ones all in the same story.

Not to defend the latter parts of Game of Thrones, exactly, they’re pretty bad, but this didn’t happen. A large part of the fanbase may have elided her brutality to make awful memes, but from very early in the series she was ruling as an absolute despot, torturing people to death and instituting a cult of personality in a quest for personal revenge and aggrandizement. Everything she does at the end is totally consistent with her character to that point

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mandrel posted:

*slavers, rich elites, military enemies who were first given the opportunity to surrender peacefully and had the consequences made clear to them if they didn’t

**army of slaves she freed and gave the option of leaving, people she spared, unwashed hordes she liberated, army of barbarians she earned title over by forced child marriage/rape and then again by force after attempting diplomatic solution, dudes who traveled across the sea sight unseen to join her based on ???

***freeing slaves, overthrowing brutal ruling elites, seizing what she believed to be her stolen birthright from cruel psychotic despot

****if you the viewer are an insane personage

The first person she tortures to death is her own slave, for using witchcraft on her and her rapist, slaver husband. The second is also her (sex) slave, for stealing her property. Believing that an absolute monarchy is your “birthright” is not some kind of defense. You can’t “earn” titles. She liberates no one, she just uses an oppressed class’s resentments to put herself on top of a still existing wealth hierarchy. You bought a line of bullshit, when all along she was killing people for not bending the knee, not to alter social structures

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

oh wait

y'all don't have a thread.

Because nobody fuckin cares about that bullshit.

I don’t know what you’re even talking about but you’ve posted more times than you’ve been responded to lol how lonely are you

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

zer0spunk posted:

i would have, wholeheartedly and unironically, given a standing ovation if the big reveal after all 9 movies of the saga was an extremely eloquent jar jar binks being the mastermind of everything (as voiced by peter serafinowicz)

You would have given a standing ovation if they whitewashed Jar Jar

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boxman posted:

this doesn’t feel awful to me. They don’t want to give them accents because they don’t want to map these random alien species onto our ethnicities.

But they have an accent, and are being “mapped“ to an ethnicity in that way - they just all talk like upper middle class white Americans. the presupposition that this is the default is the problem

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

piratepilates posted:

People have literally ruined the meaning of the word 'literally' by using it both as its original meaning, and the opposite of its meaning, so now whenever someone uses it you literally have no idea whether they literally mean something or not.

Penultimate is also a fun one since it just means "second from last" but it sounds so cool that everyone uses it to mean super-ultimate.

People using “prototype” to mean exemplar

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

piratepilates posted:

🤔 I'm not sure I've heard that one before, what is it like in a sentence?

I see it a lot in context of sports, like someone will say eg Lebron James is the prototypical point forward and they mean he’s the best possible example of that archetype, not that he was an early version of the phenomenon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Necrothatcher posted:

They never beat ANH where Satan and the Wolfman are just chilling in a bar.

The closest thing is the bounty hunter sequence in empire, with mummy burn patient, lizard man, gas mask bug, the first free droid we’ve seen, etc