Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I never noticed that they actually made separate left- and right-facing sprites for the protagonist. That's more detail than I would have expected. It's always interesting with these "prototypical" genre-founding games to look at what the devs decided to spend their attention on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shitenshi posted:

This is the first time I've seen a screenshot of the original JP DQ, and man. What a difference. I don't think it's just down to screenshot quality either.

Am I reading it correctly that the player's sprite is just a recolor of the generic guard sprite?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shitenshi posted:

Does the Cursed Belt actually have any stat boosts to compensate? Because without anything to make it worthwhile, a name like that is just asking for trouble.

It's worth 180 gold? :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh, that was a kiss. And here I was thinking we'd have to carry her across the threshold continent newly wed style.

I dimly recall a DW1 LP where the LPer never returned Gwaelin to the king, and completed the game while carrying her.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So this town surrounded by horrifyingly powerful monsters is guarded by thick walls, except for one narrow passage which was protected by the Golem.

Y'all better stop that Dragonlord quickly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DGM_2 posted:

Oh hell, if we're going all Star Trek crossover here then search for phasers!

You're thinking of the Ultima series. Or Might & Magic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Reinbach posted:

Dragon warrior 2 was rough. You are just a lot tougher. I mean you played through final fantasy legend 2.

My impression of the Legend games (and of SaGa in general) is that they're abusable as hell, so long as you know the rules. The rules of course are not officially documented, but these days every remotely popular game has been decompiled and mined for every bit of data it can possibly hold, so that's not really a problem any more.

Knowing how Dragon Warrior 2 works will not save you from it.

• Locked thread