Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
One of my absolute favorite NES games growing up, hell yeah. And yes, playing 1 and 2 are useful if you want 3 to have its full impact. (DW3 is incidentally one of my favorites for the GBC)

Gonna be streaming a few of these games myself soon, but in the meantime I'll have to keep an eye out in here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

I'm less familiar with the early Dragon Quest series and the RPG world around it than I am the early Final Fantasy games, but my understanding is that it was pretty far ahead of everything else out there at the time.

IIRC, it was the first of its kind, at least on this scale. The only stuff that came before it was like... Ultima. The game is also not quite as blatant of a D&D ripoff as Final Fantasy I ended up being, which is nice.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

FrankZP posted:

My train of thought went something like, "I want to play 3, but then I'd have to play 1 and 2, and that's a lotta work, I should just do 4, it's standalone, but 1 is short and 2 only gets obnoxious towards the end, okay fine cripes I get it, 1 to 3, mmmmmmaybe 4, man how do I keep falling for this".

5 and 6 blind runs aren't off the table but it's way too far down the line to make any kind of promise. And I'm definitely not making it to 7. I love it to bits but I can't even imagine doing my schtick for the entire duration.

1-3 form a pretty tight trilogy, while 4-6 are a very loosely connected set. As in, as far as I know, the only real connection (originally) is a location that appears in all three games, and the characters within. In the DS remakes, they tweak the script so that each game explicitly takes place after the previous one.

I prefer 5 to 4 by a small amount, and 6... I'm just having a hard time getting into at all, to be honest.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

By that reasoning, Dragon Quest is a Shin Megami Tensei subfranchise.

Give me a Jack Bros. / Rocket Slime crossover and I'll be a happy lad.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Patter Song posted:

I played the GBC Dragon Warrior I and II game, and somehow managed to beat both, despite Dragon Quest II's insane difficulty. DQ1 is mercifully short, but DQ2...is ball-bustingly difficult and not terribly fun.

My favorite two are the DS remakes of DQ IV and V.

I don't know that I ever actually finished DQ II for the GBC... I remember it being asinine-hard at the very end (and generally throughout), though. III is just a trillion times better in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

I thought I was the only one. I even felt bad deciding to finally use a cursed weapon to take down a tough boss in DQIV.

Never happened to me with Dragon Quest, but it DID happen to my copy of Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya and nine-year old me freaked, dropped the Game Gear on my bed and ran out of the room. Not my proudest moment.

• Locked thread