Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In terms of horror comics, I also enjoyed Something is Killing the Children, Gideon Falls, The Nice House on the Lake, and Monsters. The Sandman is also probably mostly horror but that's not exactly an obscure recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ravenkult posted:

Boo on that AI cover though.

What AI cover is this?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm not sure if it is technically horror, but it definitely has... Horror vibes.

I'm about halfway through Hell Followed With Us by Andrew Joseph White and I'm really enjoying it. After getting burnt out on extreme horror (I was on an Aron Beauregard kick for a while and I realized I was getting... Bored? Desensitized for sure) so my wife recommended this to me. It's definitely got the young adult feel, but it's surprisingly body-horror-y for what it is, and I think ties in some pretty decent metaphor for living as a trans person and, in a much more general sense, living as a queer person. It's unapologetically queer, like very in your face about it, but as a queer person I like that a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes. The author has an adult horror book coming out next year, after 3 YA novels. I'm excited to see where he goes with it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

ravenkult posted:

Boo on that AI cover though.
What are you talking about?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ I wasn't sure what he meant but I interpreted it to mean that the Tim Waggoner's cover is reminiscent of cursed AI images because of the number of fingers on the hand

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Makes sense. I thought it was a reference to the Hellboy page and was baffled for a moment.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

escape artist posted:

^^ I wasn't sure what he meant but I interpreted it to mean that the Tim Waggoner's cover is reminiscent of cursed AI images because of the number of fingers on the hand

It was this but it's an actual AI cover.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

R.L. Stine posted:

drat this destroyed me. Is their other work this good too? I remember really liking His Face All Red when it was making the internet rounds. For that matter, are there any graphic novels or comic omnibuses that might scratch a horror itch? I just finished Harrow County, it was pretty great, but grounded spooky hauntings and a generally heavy atmosphere are my poo poo.

I've searched reddit for recommendations but it's hit or miss and usually there is very little if any context or description provided

I'm currently reading Gou Tanabe's adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness and enjoying it quite a bit. That's one of the Lovecraft stories that relies most on the visuals, which I've never really been able to construct properly in my head, and Gou nails it. The starkness of the Antarctic landscape and the uncanny architecture are well-served by beautiful black-and-white lines, and he does a remarkable job of bringing the story to life without changing Lovecraft's actual work.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch and it was really good. Cosmic horror and time travel. It's hard to talk about without spoiling it, it's not particularly gory but there's a fair amount of deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yarrington posted:

Maybe an obvious one but Alan Moore's "Providence".

EDIT: Just realized I walked into the 'little context or description provided". It's superficially his take on Lovecraft, and most of the issues riff on a specific story but in the context of a frame story that's pure Alan Moore. A wealth of historical detail, and parts really emphasize the horror of things that have become fairly rote/tropes by now (the mind/body swap issue really got under my skin). Benefits from either a reference or an encyclopedic knowledge of the extended canon, but doesn't require it. It has a lot on its mind.

It’s really great. My only minor gripe with it is that I wish it didn’t connect with his previous two Lovecraft comics at the end. Those aren’t bad but Providence is so much better and I wish it could stand on its own.

edit: nitpicking here but I also could have done without a cameo from ST Joshi.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 20, 2024