Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I remember reading about it after I dropped the book, and while it does go some length to explain the "why" of the book, I don't think it changes my opinion of it much. I just felt like I couldn't tell who the book was intended for, there were moments that felt less like it was recounting these horrifying events and highlighting how terrible it was that these boys would do absolutely abhorrent things because they'd been given permission by an adult, and felt more like the book was wallowing in the extreme nature of the events. Obviously there's an audience for that kind of thing, and shock and extreme horror are real things with some kind of an audience, I'm just not it.

Honestly it might just be an area of horror that I'll never have much interest in, I kinda felt the same way to a much lesser extent about Misery, and I'm normally fine with King. I think I personally just have a harder time reading more "realistic" horror fiction, I prefer supernatural or fantastic horror over books that just center around how terrible humans can be to each other. I can read the news and get plenty of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gonna double-post because this is unrelated: I just read Dennis Etchison's "They Only Come Out at Night" in The Weird and I really liked it in a way I can't put my finger on just yet. Has anybody read much Etchison? I hadn't heard of him before, and I'm curious how that story compares to the rest of his work. It seems like he was active at least through the early 2000s but has sort of dropped off of the radar since.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

nate fisher posted:

Glamorama was also torture to finish (I am not sure how I feel about it overall). I felt like it just droned on and on. I say this as someone who enjoyed a few of Ellis' works.

Fake edit: Roger Avary was going to make Glamorama into a film? I thought he did ok with The Rules of Attraction, and the whole Victor Ward European sequence was amazing. Reading Wiki, that sequence was an actual a movie that was suppose to bridge The Rules of Attraction with Galmorama. It has only been shown at private screenings due to the the film being ethically questionable.

I think Glamorama could make for a great movie in the same way that American Psycho made a great movie: by another creator using the raw material to make something excellent with. AP the movie only borrows the bones of AP the book and turns it into a black comedy, but drat, it's a good black comedy.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

StonecutterJoe posted:

I think Glamorama could make for a great movie in the same way that American Psycho made a great movie: by another creator using the raw material to make something excellent with. AP the movie only borrows the bones of AP the book and turns it into a black comedy, but drat, it's a good black comedy.

I like AP better as a movie probably but AP the book is deliberately comedic and absurd too

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Crimpolioni posted:

I like AP better as a movie probably but AP the book is deliberately comedic and absurd too

I heard somewhere (maybe IMDb?) that glamorama probably will not be translated to a movie because the basic plot is too similar to Zoolander. Which is really bizarre to think about because tonally they are VERY different.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The Wasp Factory and Glamorama are two books I couldn't finish. They bored the hell out of me.

(And I've read everything Ellis has written besides Glamorama and Informers. I consider myself a fan, even if he is a piece of poo poo person.)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
my big issue with ellis is that all the ideas and themes he is obsessed with are just so utterly boring and pointless

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MockingQuantum posted:

Gonna double-post because this is unrelated: I just read Dennis Etchison's "They Only Come Out at Night" in The Weird and I really liked it in a way I can't put my finger on just yet. Has anybody read much Etchison? I hadn't heard of him before, and I'm curious how that story compares to the rest of his work. It seems like he was active at least through the early 2000s but has sort of dropped off of the radar since.
Etchison wrote beautiful Prose and had decent Ideas; but his Misogyny ruins his work. He can only tolerate Women if they are sleeping or dead. Every Story drips with it; every Female Character is depicted in the most vicious and contemptuous way; it appears his Honest Belief that every single Female on Earth is useless, nasty, manipulative, violent, vacuous, shallow, clingy, murderously vengeful and stupid, all at once, and in fact that is the Root Of All Horror. I have a high tolerance for Misogyny in Horror due to prolonged Exposure to such; but never the less Etchison's Work leaves me feeling dirty, disgusted and personally attacked in a way that few Others achieve. I am un surprised that he committed Suicide and that his Wife did not seem particularly distressed by the Loss.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I want a rec of a book that’s like Bob Lemans writing style, especially Window and Instructions. Wanna mindwipe myself so I can enjoy it again lol, but that’s impossible

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess is probably one of the best books I've read in the last year. It's just so weird. Any of his other stuff worth checking out?

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Could someone maybe give me a basic idea of the ending of Universal Harvester? So, it seems like the videos were some sort of interrogations regarding the cult that the one woman's mother left for. Was that it? It seems like this whole thing was leading to some huge revelation of horror but....nothing Am I right?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Could someone maybe give me a basic idea of the ending of Universal Harvester? So, it seems like the videos were some sort of interrogations regarding the cult that the one woman's mother left for. Was that it? It seems like this whole thing was leading to some huge revelation of horror but....nothing Am I right?

Yeah, that's the impression I got too. I think it was more cult deprogramming than interrogation though.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Untrustable posted:

People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess is probably one of the best books I've read in the last year. It's just so weird. Any of his other stuff worth checking out?

This looks cool but I don't see it in eBook form. Amazon has the paperback for like $30 which seems like a lot for 170 pages.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Untrustable posted:

I haven't read any of his books but I can at least say that the movie Pontypool is based on one of his books, is extremely weird as well, and is at least worth a watch.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm trying to think of the name and author of a book that came highly recommended to me a while ago about a lone woman exploring in a cave slowly realising that something else might be down there with her. Any ideas?

Doctor Faustine posted:

Anyone got good recommendations for historical horror/horror-adjacent novels? I particularly like anything to do with witches and witch trials. I’ve already tried Speaks the Nightbird by McCammon and bounced off of it—there is a good 300 page novel in there, but I thought it was pretty bloated as it stood:

John Crow's Devil by Marlon James. And from the same author in a different slightly different genre: A Brief History Of Seven Killings, which is a James Ellroy American Tabloid type book, but an exceptionally violent one and so detailed in it's violence to the point that it tips over into horror in places.

From McCammon try, The Wolf's Hour, a werewolf vs Nazis romp from the earlier pulpier splatterier part of his career.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm trying to think of the name and author of a book that came highly recommended to me a while ago about a lone woman exploring in a cave slowly realising that something else might be down there with her. Any ideas?
The Luminous Dead?

I wouldn't classify McCammon's werewolf books as horror, to be honest; they're basically James Bond pastiches.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 27, 2020

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Unrelated, but has anybody read Ted Klein's The Ceremonies?

I'm currently about 90% of the way through it, overall I'm enjoying it but I felt like the first half was a bit too slow for my taste - so much so that I put it down a couple of months ago when I was just over halfway through and only just felt like picking it up again and ploughing through to the end.

The second half seems better paced though, the ramping up of tension was just a little too glacial for me in the first half.

Also, some of the writing definitely dates it, Klein keeps talking about "blacks".

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The Luminous Dead?

Yes, that's it. Thanks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

anilEhilated posted:

I wouldn't classify McCammon's werewolf books as horror, to be honest; they're basically James Bond pastiches.

Plural? I didn't know there was a sequel to The Wolf's Hour.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Plural? I didn't know there was a sequel to The Wolf's Hour.
IIRC there's a collection of short stories featuring the character.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

This looks cool but I don't see it in eBook form. Amazon has the paperback for like $30 which seems like a lot for 170 pages.

Weird. I bought it on Kindle for like 99 cents.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Untrustable posted:

Weird. I bought it on Kindle for like 99 cents.

Weird. Still only showing the paperback for me.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah I just checked. What the hell? I'm gonna email Tony Burgess.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Untrustable posted:

Yeah I just checked. What the hell? I'm gonna email Tony Burgess.

The publisher, ChiZine, imploded in spectacular fashion last year and most of their authors pulled the rights to their work.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Based on an excerpt from an interview he just posted to Facebook, Brian Hodge won't be writing horror any more, in favor of writing fantasy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Based on an excerpt from an interview he just posted to Facebook, Brian Hodge won't be writing horror any more, in favor of writing fantasy.
An interesting choice to be sure, but it just keeps reminding me how hard it is to get Worlds of Hurt as an ebook.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Finally got around to Laird Barron's Blood Standard but was really hoping for more horror. It was decent for straight up crime novel but is there any thing with more horror vibes?

Also got around to Night Film and that was pretty great, really into the cursed objects/film stuff. Not sure where to go next from there though, I've seen a few recommendations in the thread already, just don't know which to pull the trigger on. I think it was Experimental Film and the one with the kid and VHS that I can't remember the name of.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

the_enduser posted:

Finally got around to Laird Barron's Blood Standard but was really hoping for more horror. It was decent for straight up crime novel but is there any thing with more horror vibes?

Have you read his short story collections? The Coleridge novels have some horror elements but like you say, they are crime fiction. The short stories are where Barron made his name and where he still shines imho.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The horror in the Coleridge books ramps up as the series goes along, to the point where the latest one is more a horror novel than anything else.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Yeah, I've gone through Imago Sequence and Beautiful thing that awaits us all. Was gonna grab Man With No Name, cause Yakuza and horror sounds cool af.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

the_enduser posted:

Also got around to Night Film and that was pretty great, really into the cursed objects/film stuff. Not sure where to go next from there though, I've seen a few recommendations in the thread already, just don't know which to pull the trigger on. I think it was Experimental Film and the one with the kid and VHS that I can't remember the name of.

Was the main character a tough, hard drinking, hard boiled gumshoe who likes the dames?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

any cool recommendations for good unnerving alien fiction?

i've read the Southern Reach trilogy and enjoyed it a lot; it sort of unsettled, rather than outright provoked, mostly. i am keen for anything though. subtle, extremely out there and weird - the more the better.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

alf_pogs posted:

any cool recommendations for good unnerving alien fiction?

i've read the Southern Reach trilogy and enjoyed it a lot; it sort of unsettled, rather than outright provoked, mostly. i am keen for anything though. subtle, extremely out there and weird - the more the better.
Blindsight?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ship of Fools (Unto Leviathan in the UK) is another good recommendation for horror with aliens.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Forgall posted:

Blindsight?

It's this, 100%.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Forgall posted:

Blindsight?

cool thankyou!!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Ship of Fools (Unto Leviathan in the UK) is another good recommendation for horror with aliens.
Gotta second this one, I like it more than Blindsight (which is good too), definitely give it a shot.

the_enduser posted:

Was gonna grab Man With No Name, cause Yakuza and horror sounds cool af.
I found this one pretty underwhelming, to be honest. The end is okay, but the gangster parts felt boring as hell. Might be why I didn't give the Isaiah Coleridge books a shot yet.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

thanks - ship of fools added to the list. I dunno what prompted it but I've been craving alien stuff recently and X files reruns only go so far

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
How many short story collections does Brian Evenson have and can you list them so I can buy them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is there anything that particularly effectively plays off of fears of loneliness and isolation? Being lost and uncertain of one's surroundings, like in an abandoned hospital or shopping mall after hours?