Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

you guys are both thinking of papa Matheson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I think he's one of the greats. I Am Legend and Hell House are solid. Stir of Echoes is pretty good and so is What Dreams May Come.

e: wait is that the wrong Richard Matheson? It is, isn't it.

It’s his kid

Daddy Matheson is wonderful

His son wrote a lot of “micro horror.” Literal “short” stories that could be like a paragraph to two pages in length. A lot of it feels like the “oh I’m so clever” garbage that clogs up r/nosleep

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Hell House was really good, but was another one of those books that introduces all of these neat ideas and mysteries only to leave them unresolved at the end.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

It's been so long since I've read it that I can't really disentangle Steven Spielberg's Duel and Matheson's original short story to say whether the story is good or not in and of itself (though Matheson did also do the screenplay), but Duel is fantastic, and if we're comparing Spielberg flicks, a better Horror/Suspense thriller than Jaws

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably

Hell Gem

I really enjoy Matheson the younger’s short stories. Digestible little morsels of weird ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

finished The Loop by Jeremy Robert Johnson

JRJ is one of my favorite pulpy authors and the book is decent enough, but unfortunately i'd read Carrier Wave earlier this month, which is basically the same idea with much better execution

The Loop also tries to present some kind of class-based allegory that could have been fairly impactful but sort of jukes away from it to get back to a story about psychopathic octopus-cyborg hive minds, which somehow isn't as fun as it sounds