Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I thought The Ruins was kind of fun, but I wouldn't put it onto a top 100 list of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I found Bird Box to be incredibly tense and effective while reading it. I think it did a great job of making me feel trapped inside a person's head while something is there. The movie didn't have that same level of intensity, and couldn't really.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The movie kind of sped everything up. The book kind of makes it seems like the things just sort of manifest slowly over time, so each suicide is important and shocking, but we don't really witness most of the apocalypse. In the movie it's like a slightly-crazier black friday suddenly breaks out and pretty much everyone goes crazy all at the same time.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody read Final Girls? I just finished it not that long ago, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, though I'm not sure if I'd say it was better than I expected. It feels like a guilty pleasure horror novel, which is fitting given the gimmick of the book (the main character is the so-called Final Girl of a real life slasher movie-esque killing). Also it's kind of more a mystery novel than a horror novel, in a lot of ways. It doesn't push too many envelopes or anything, but I still liked it a fair bit.

I though it was fun. The flashback scenes did a good job of feeling exactly like slasher film, both in the buildup of going to the camp and typical characters and the chaotic attacks.

Sort of similarly (though much better) I really liked My Sister, the Serial Killer, about a woman coming to terms with her much prettier and more popular younger sister being a killer, and what to do about it. I don't think it fully classifies as horror, but the book is a pretty perfect blend of dark comedy.