Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/769902.Sandkings

Have you guys read Sandkings, the horror-scifi short story/novella by George RR Martin? I first read it as a kid over thirty years ago when it was published in Omni magazine and it blew me away.

Please disregard any opinions re Game of Thrones good or bad, very different material here.

PM me if interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

OK so I'm several stories into Books of Blood (all volumes are combined--these are the first from volume 1) and I have to post up. I've never read Clive Barker before but he's funny, engaging, sympathetic, entertaining, also loves him some gore and gross imagery. Protagonists are just as likely to persevere and survive just fine as die in gruesome, horrible ways. Usually both in sequential stories. After all of the psychological horror I've been reading this hits in the gut in just the right way. Really really enjoying this so far

Clive Barker is/was a very gifted writer. It's a bit of a contentious issue sometimes here on the forums but I personally think his short stories are way stronger than his novels. Books of Blood are dope.

I just saw a film on Hulu called Books of Blood that's anthology horror but I don't recognize the stories as being from Clive Barker, are they? It was okay but only the first story was really strong IMO.