Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is The Strain series worth reading? Wondering if I should read them before watching the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Flaggy posted:

Its okay-ish, it seemed like airport fiction, the show wasn't half bad, but suffered in the 2nd season. But to be fair, thats just my opinion.

I watched the first 3 episodes and read so far about 20% of book 1 - airport fiction is right (almost literally), I kept thinking this was Tom Clancy writing a vampire book

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished the strain book 1 and cannot remember a more poorly paced story.

I’m also watching season 1 of the series and it’s much better then the book.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Goldskull posted:

Like others say, it literally is airport fiction, I read the first two flying back & forth to the US about 9 years ago. Can't remember the first one having pacing issues but they're easy to read and far better than the lovely TV series which I gave up on in season 2.

I am 30% through book 3 and nearing the end of season 3 of the show.

The books are bad, but the show, while trashy, is lots of fun. Doing them together has been instructive too, in the ways stories get warped to fit different mediums.

EDIT: finished season 3 of the show, the story choices they made for TV make it MUCH better than the books. season 3 ends at roughly the same place as the end of book 2.

Edit 2: the strain tv show absolutely nailed the ending. Highly recommended.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 3, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro put out a new book a couple of months ago, The Hollow Ones. I picked it up the other day because it was on sale and having recently finished it I would say that it was just okay. The main problem the book has is that there's not a lot of tension as the main characters and the monster they're chasing barely interact. There's a scene at the beginning of the book and then a fight at the end but between they're just kind of doing their own thing. In the end the book feels like it is just the backstory for how the two main characters meet and start working together and that the real story will be in the sequels.

I dunno if I could read another thing by them after The Strain series. it was so much better on TV than in print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just finished reading the atrocity archives and I like the idea of a series about a government agent who fights technological lovecraftian demons.

What I didn’t like were the bad attempts at humor, the focus on humdrum office politics and bureaucracy, and the super outdated technology references - I’ll give that last one a pass cause the book is ~20 years old now, but it really pegs the story at a particular time.

Is there a series that doesn’t have the above? Feels like lovecraftian stuff is mostly confined to short stories but I’d like to read a longer narrative about saving the world from other realms’ horrors.