Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
I know there are probably a lot of T.E.D. Klein fans around here (because “Poroth Farm” is amazing and everyone should read it), and I’ve always wondered what happened to him. I knew he worked at GQ as an editor but never heard much beyond that. Well, here’s a brand new interview with him.

http://www.scottedelman.com/2018/05/02/share-a-pastrami-sandwich-with-t-e-d-klein-in-episode-65-of-eating-the-fantastic/#more-24910

Fair warning: there are loud sounds of eating during this interview and it will most likely drive everyone that listens crazy. It’s like poor Teddy doesn’t know how to close his mouth when he eats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

It was never a secret that Klein suffered from career-crippling writer's block, he's been pretty open about it through the years. It's a damned shame and a huge loss for the horror genre, honestly.

Ah, I didn’t know that. That’s such a shame. When his writing is on point it eclipses so much else in horror.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

Vastarien posted:

I remember some talk a while back about Klein vowing to finally finish his second novel, Nighttown. S. T. Joshi mentioned in a blog post about meeting Klein during a trip to New York and discussing it. It really is a shame that Klein never produced more material. The Events at Poroth Farm, Nadelman's God, and Children of the Kingdom are some of my all-time favorite stories.

Oh yeah, I just got to the part in the podcast interview where they bring it up. Interested to hear what Klein says about it.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I think the inclusion of Junji Ito and Joe R Lansdale make that a pretty good list though. THE NIGHT THEY MISSED THE HORROR SHOW is ugly in the best way.

I re-read The Night They Missed The Horror Show at least once a year. It just packs such a punch. I love it.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Where can I read the short story? Googling just gives the me the book

55 cents right now. You have no excuse.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
Thomas Jihatti

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

mcdowell's the elementals

I just bought this version of it. Be still my wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

Kestral posted:

One of the teens I work with recently discovered Doki Doki Literature Club, and was telling me about how much they liked the short story hidden in that game, which is essentially the first-person confession letter of young sociopath describing the circumstances of her first murder. Since I'm always eager to get these kids to read, and they said they'd be interested in checking out other things that strike a similar chord, I'm looking for something that might work for them. The first-person epistolary format is the secret sauce here, and I also don't want to scare them off with prose that's going to make them run to the dictionary every paragraph. Honestly, even good creepypasta might fit the bill, and act as a gateway drug to more serious horror lit. Any suggestions?

The answer you’re looking for:

day-gas posted:

Finished Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke as it finally hit Kindle. Gonna take a while to digest but it was very gripping, and managed to be intense via a chatlog which I would not have guessed possible.