Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

I just got a kindle and I’m looking for things to read. I like haunted house movies but haven’t read a whole lot in the way of books. I have Haunting of Hill House on my to read list but i need some more good books than that. Preferably things that are more creeping sense of dread than blood and viscera

charles lambert's The Children's Home

michael mcdowell's The Elementals

the weirdly named Jac Jemc's The Grip of It

Mariko Koike's Graveyard Apartment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

I actually just finished A God in the Shed last night. The prologue definitely would have worked better rolled out slowly because going in knowing 100% what this unknowable thing is about took away from it. Apparently there's going to be a sequel so maybe it'll pick up and get less okay. I didn't read much that came out in 2017 but if this was one of the best it worries me.

I'm starting Universal Harvester right now and after that I'm going to go through the haunted house recs you guys have made.

universal harvester is not a horror novel and if you expect it to be one you will be disappointed

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
who else has read mcdowell's the elementals? who else wants to talk about what was in the red vase (baby bones, from the malformed thing?), and why the drawing of the woman in the dress was form 1875 (the same year Beldame was built), but the photograph was from 1865, and what the connection is to the woman who ate the dead baby, and what's up with the cone that took over the house?

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 23, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

The Wolf's Hour isn't strictly horror, but it has elements of horror. High concept: what if James Bond fought in World War 2, and was a werewolf?

jesus christ, man

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

Is that positive or negative?

It's negative dude that sounds like garbage for idiots

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
any worthwhile short fiction about ghosts come out in the last couple of years?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
raw shark texts is unironically good and its a criminal offense that Hall hasn't put out more in the last like 10 years

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
yes

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
crossposting from the lit thread bc aickman is both

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the NYRB classics line has put out a new collection of Robert Aickman stories and if you haven't read him you're loving up grievously

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
brian keene was in a fire and is in a burn ward; he's started a gofundme to cover medical bills because he doesn't have health insurance

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Robot Wendigo posted:

Again from this thread I picked up Dark Entries yesterday, and read the first story, The School Friend. It was wonderfully creepy, and I spent the afternoon today running errands thinking about it. I'm 52 years old and I can't believe this is the first time I've heard of this writer.

yessss

welcome, brother

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

I'm enjoying Hex and I'm curious if the original version has a translation? I'm curious what the differences between the English and not-English are. Apparently the ending is different for us?

there's no translation of the original but various people have posted summaries of the ending online; if you google around a bit you can find it. it's not that good

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i read four volumes of that stupid thing for some godforsaken reason and the memory of it fills me with blind rage

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Robot Wendigo posted:

I was half looking at that series for when I finish HoL. Please give me details of the rage inducement.

It just sucks. It's stupid and it sucks. I'm angry that I wasted hours of my life and like $60 reading four volumes of it - four volumes of it - instead of doing anything else

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

Nothing wrong with just reading the Navidson parts and calling it a day.

I also would advise doing thiss

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
anything good come out lately?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
jeff vandermeer is my Enemy

the new yorker gave borne a good review when it came out last year. i read it, then read borne. it was one of the factors that led to me not renewing my new yorker subscription

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The non-spoiler reviews I've read about Cabin seem really good but also uniformly pan the ending.

:smith:

disappearance at devil's rock was also decent with a total stinker of an ending, so

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 10, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i dont care whether an ending is happy or miserable as long as it doesn't suck. salem's lot has a (mostly) happy ending which is very good. needful things has a happy ending which is crap.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
everything after the kid committing suicide sucked

everything before that ruled

the duality of man

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah that sucks

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

this broken hill posted:

the fisherman is really terrible help me lord. i regret this purchase

it blows yeah. its truly bad

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
chill, ornamented. it's a bad book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
does anything happen in that one

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i will read every single volume of the familiar, then livestream myself cutting off my dick and balls and mailing them to danielewskis house

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
genre fans' tolerance, even defense, of mediocrity is the absolute worst

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

a foolish pianist posted:

This opinion is insane. Every single Stephen King book is worse than Skullcrack City. Maybe bizarro just isn't the genre for you?

lol

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

a foolish pianist posted:

Well, not to mentioning ending on a a preteen gang bang. That's got to be up there for worst King endings, and that's saying something.

It is eleven thousand pages long and the only part of it anyone ever talks about is the preteen gangbang. it's the literary equivalent of the "you gently caress one horse" joke

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
edith wharton's afterward

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

NPR finally got off their asses and posted the results for the 100 Best Horror Stories, as voted by readers and "a panel of experts"

I'm not impressed.

ctrl+f "aickman"

0/0 results

list is garbage imo

e: john loving dies at the end made the list? hell with this

e2: no wait i'm angrier about scott smith's the ruins, which is without hyperbole one of the top 5 worst books ive ever read in my life

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 21, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
god forbid horror writers attempt something innovative instead of rehashing cthulhu for the 7000th time

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

A friend of mine is currently reading house of leaves and it reminded me how i quitel iked the good bit of house of leaves. What should i read, The General Horror Thread?

the raw shark texts by steven hall

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

pospysyl posted:

What are some good horror novels that deal with institutions? I'm thinking of schools, corporations, or other organizations with strict hierarchies and rules. Authority from the Area X trilogy would count, as would the darker parts of Kafka's The Trial. I'm also looking to check out Andres Barba's Such Small Hands, which is about a girl's orphanage.

thomas ligotti's my work is not yet done

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
does i'm thinking of ending things have any supernatural elements or is it all psychological

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It very much felt like if the author decided to turn the Mountain Goats album "Tallahassee" into an actual horror story.

lol that's actually a solid description of it. have you read john darnielle's universal harvester? its not horror but it is haunting

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

ravenkult posted:

First half better, second part worse.

overall not great

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it's good and it's definitely a horror novel, even a folk horror novel. not everything has to have actual monsters in it or whatever

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

A horror novel should have some element of horror in it. The Loney doesn't, unless you get extremely generous with what you define as horror.

I guess what I'm saying is that The Loney is a good book but a bad horror novel.

do you not count the rituals surrounding the supernatural nightmare child who seems to be able to absorb the sins or illnesses of others into itself, or what

its a very subtle and slow novel which relies heavily on the haunting and desolate atmosphere it tries to build so if you dont like those things i can see why you wouldn't like it, but to say its not a horror novel because its not overt enough is silly

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 6, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/NBallingrud/status/1041388220968300544?s=20

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the only thing i remember about the kids is that the girl had pierced labia and this was described to us, for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
michael mcdowells the elementals