Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm trying to get back into reading more regularly and horror is really the only thing that can hold my attention. I'm on the last Nick Cutter book, picked up some Paul Tremblay, but I'm looking for other recs for more recent stuff. I'm good with pretty much anything but cosmic horror is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thanks, I picked Atlas up but couldn’t find the others (I prefer digital and I’ve gone back to Kobo so I’m a little more limited now). I also went on a spree over the last few days and have around 95 books on there now so I should probably slow down :shobon:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wasn't he turning the animals into robots?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I really want to check out that Lesser Creatures book from the OP, but there's no ebook I can find, nothing at the library, and all the copies in Amazon are going for $800 for some reason?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m in the mood for some western horror. Preferably more overtly supernatural than like a Cormac McCarthy, any good ones out there?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

General Ledger posted:

Any recommendations for Southern gothic horror like (or just similar in style to) Michael McDowell? I've read Blackwater and The Elementals.

Pigeons from Hell and I've heard good things about Those Across the River

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Need some good space horror. Preferably some "ancient civilization" Ghosts of Mars type stuff, but I'll take some Event Horizon

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good Citizen posted:

If you’re ok with a book that kinda whiffs it in the last couple pages the Hematophages is a pretty good mix of Event Horizon/The Thing

Hey, I'm a horror fan, ain't I?

I'd also be ok with stuff that isn't strictly space but meets the vibe, like The Deep or Sphere

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

a foolish pianist posted:

Alistair Reynolds's Revelation Space series hits a lot of these notes, but it's more scifi than horror. His short fiction often hits a bit closer to horror, especially stuff like Diamond Dogs and Beyond the Aquila Rift.

Checked that out and it sounds neat. I’m trying to branch out from horror anyway so I’ll check it out

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

Need some good space horror. Preferably some "ancient civilization" Ghosts of Mars type stuff, but I'll take some Event Horizon

Been thinking about it and realized I'm basically looking for Dead Space. Has anyone read any of the novels based off it and are any good?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You guys got me to start Cold Moon next, and jeez

Paddyo posted:

I felt so bad for the blueberry farmers. What a lovely loving lot in life.
There's a new phobia for me!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just got to the "scare in the road" bit in Cold Moon :stare: Apparently I'm only just over halfway too, I have no idea where it's going to go from here. What a book!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I took a vampire lit course in university and the main book we read was Perfume. I think it's fun when you look for "not quite but the right general idea" kind of fits like that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't know about actual work but I just checked and he's still actively shitposting on twitter

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bilirubin posted:

Hey all! The annual Secret Santa thread is now open for signups! Come join in and shower your fellow book goons with the best offerings from Grimscribe Press or otherwise. I've done it on and off for several years and always enjoy the hunt for gifts as well as reading what my Santa finds for me. I've discovered many new favorites this way!

(gifts from Santas past)

Link doesn't seem to work

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ragle Gumm posted:

FWIW, the link doesn't work for me either (via Awful app).

Just tried and it works on my tablet, just not in the app :shrug:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend me some horror books for an 8-year-old. Does the Goosebumps series hold up, or is there something better in the last 20 years?

I have a tonne of Goosebumps for my kid, they still rule. Plus good old Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good Citizen posted:

If you want to traumatize your child just remember to get the version of scary stories to tell in the dark with the original artwork. The art refresh was trash

Oh yes this is a must. I found an omnibus with all three volumes and the original artwork.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If anyone is looking for something a bit different, I'm just finishing up Taaqtumi: An Anthology of Arctic Horror Stories and would definitely recommend it. It's got all Inuk writers telling stories, but they're not just the usual retelling of Legends or anything like that, it's all pretty modern with a unique bit of cultural perspective added in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Are any of the Dexter books worth reading? Not sure I want to start right at the beginning since I know how it plays out for a while, and I know some of the later ones go a bit off the rails, but curious if any of them are recommended

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jsut finished Hellbound Heart and it was terrific. I've seen Hellraiser several times but there are enough differences here to still be fresh, plus the prose is just :discourse:

Retro Futurist posted:

Been thinking about it and realized I'm basically looking for Dead Space. Has anyone read any of the novels based off it and are any good?
Also answering my own question here for anyone curious. I read Dead Space: Martyr and it was solidly "okay to good". It's a prequel but takes place about 2 centuries before the games so you don't know everything that's going to happen. Takes a while for the inevitable stuff you do expect to happen to happen, but it's cool when it does. Most of it is more of a thriller and it succeeds there as well as any airport paperback

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Blastedhellscape posted:

design and presentation of the Cenobites (even though the "Angels to some, demons to others" speech is impossible to top).

Kind of funny in retrospect how Pinhead only shows up in the beginning and has like one line

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

As far as Head Full of Ghosts goes, I'm pretty sure the things you don't like about the narrative voice are entirely intentional. It's not exactly groundbreaking to say that Merry is an unreliable narrator, I think the book signposts that pretty clearly, but I think it goes pretty deep. I think the reader is intended to really deeply question the story they're being told, and Merry's inconsistent recollections and the way her story is totally incongruous with how an 8-year-old would have seen the situation is intended to make it increasingly clear as the story goes on that Merry is concealing a much darker reality.

Yeah it was the same with the blogger thing. at first I just found those parts super annoying, but then it clicked that they were kind of supposed to be annoying, and Merry's other idiosyncrasies make more sense when you realize that it's just a damaged person telling a story about how they remember it from when they were a kid. The rest is kind of interesting there but I prefer the interpretation that there was no possession at all, just a sick girl being exploited and her sister getting taken in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pretty much all of Grady's books have gone on sale over the last little bit and I think I have them all now, is there a good reading order? Hate to read the best one first and then have a bunch of disappointments.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Publication order seems like a good idea, presumably they gets better as they go

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just finished Lovecraft Country and it was really good. Different enough from the show to not be a retread, which I always like. It's a really neat layout, with the same of disconnect the show had; kind of like an anthology but with recurring characters and a meta plot. It was a little weird to find out the author is white, because as with the show this is very much about the black experience in 50s America, but it doesn't feel exploitive or anything like that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch is on sale today, is that any good? I’m pretty sure I’ve heard it recommended in here but I feel like I might be mixing it up with Negative Space

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Blastedhellscape posted:

To further (half-heartedly) defend creepypasta-style stuff, I’ve got to say that The Visible Filth was the story on Wounds by Nathan Ballingrud that struck me the hardest and keeps haunting me after I finished the anthology. The story did a perfect job making use of the horrors of the digital age. Finding a smart phone from some random person you might never be able to find or meet again with weird and horrifying stuff stored on it. The dread of text message notifications. Noticing that your partner might have just gone down a weird internet rabbit hole and been forever changed by it…or maybe they were always messed up and you never realized?

It was also the story in Wounds that hewn closest to North American Lake Monsters, since it was a character portrait of someone at a strange and pivotal point in their life, just nudged a little by some supernatural poo poo happening to them.

I really enjoyed all the stories in Wounds, though. The Butcher’s Table was an amazing merger of epic fantasy and horror. Plus I automatically love anything that takes place during the golden age of piracy.

On a different: I was trying to find a new audiobook to listen to with my January credit, stumbled onto some booktuber’s video recommending horror novels written by women, and thought I’d pick out one of the books that seemed interesting from that video. Books that jumped out at me were Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant (sea horror and killer mermaids), White Pines by Gemma Amor (seems like a supernatural epic horror story with some mystery box elements), High Lonesome Sound by Jaye Wells (sounds like a gothic hosed-up-small-town mystery). Also The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling, which is a favorite in the science fiction thread here, and seems to be all about the horrors of isolation, spelunking, and toxic relationships.

I’m curious if anyone here has read any of these books and has any thumbs-up or thumbs-down thoughts any of these books.

I read Luminous Dead last year and it was quite good. It's not quite amazing or groundbreaking but it was well written and consistently entertaining

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

anyone know which Ray Bradbury story from The Illustrated Man Deleuze and Guatarri are referencing here?

Almost certainly The Veldt

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Answering my own questions again and read Darkly Dreaming Dexter, the first Dexter book. It was good, but plays out quite differently from the show. It's also kind of oddly paced, the Ice Truck Killer doesn't actually show up until about 20 pages to the end and the ending itself is pretty abrupt, but I'm interested to move to the next one and see this new status quo.
The one real issue is in the story telling itself; its all first person narration from Dexter and he talks like Hannibal Lecter crossed with a 14 year old posting on LiveJournal, and he's way too on the whole time. It's good despite that and it does calm down a bit as the book goes on, but it was a little grating.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I know Max Brooks isn't the most popular around here but Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre had an interesting enough concept I wanted to check it out. It's about a small tech commune in Northern Washington that gets cut off when Rainier erupts, and winds up getting a herd of Bigfoot driven right into them. It's set up as a sort of investigative documentary like World War Z, with the brunt of it being the recovered diary of one resident, then some other bits inserted for context and background. I was a bit worried since the introduction doesn't leave a lot of room for imagination, but even knowing what it's all the about the "how it happened" was really well written. Definitely recommend it, and if you're into audiobooks it honestly seems more like it was written to be one of those.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

That book has a truly impressive “this owns” to “this is so loving dumb” ratio. And I love every goofy-rear end word of it.

Yuppies vs Bigfoot, Fight of the Century!!!

Surely nothing could have such a big foot got both a grin and a groan out of me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Deep was pretty much Event Horizon but Underwater.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is the one with the framing device where there’s a disease that makes people forget things and the vet guy has to go super deep underwater to meet his brother but then spookiness ensues?

Because I swear to god the researcher has mutant bees hatch out of his dingus in his little diary thing.

If I made this up, I think I desperately need some pretty serious counseling cause it’s pretty hosed up.

The woman he goes with gets turned into a big beehive type thing That's all I remember

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally got to Dark Cities, a book of short horror stories about cities that I got from TBB Secret Santa. I was already looking forward to it, but then I took a good look at the writer's list and it's a real stacked cast

Even a Cutter I hadn't read, didn't know he did any shorts. Overall it's really even for an anthology, all the stories are at least "good", the only thing that stuck out was a weird rape scene in the first one that really didn't need to be there. The standouts were probably the Carey story, and the Ballingrud (which moved North American Lake Monsters way up my list).
One thing I really liked, and this may just be me, but all the stories were more or less equal length. There's a few short ones and a couple longer ones, but they're mostly all 20 pages and I think the longest was around 35. I don't know if this matters to others but I really appreciate that in this kind of book, makes it easier to pace.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Do any good horror comedy books exist?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skyscraper posted:

Did you think John Dies At The End was funny?

Haven't read it but it is on my list.

I'll check the other guy out too, thanks all

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rereading Jurrasic Park after several decades and it's interesting how long it really takes to get going. Other than a few moments with the Compies in the early part, no dinosaurs actually show up until about a quarter of the way through, and while the cracks are starting to show I'm nearly halfway through and things haven't really kicked off yet. The science is also kind of funny, it's got Crichton's usual blend of action sequences and hard science, but a lot of hard science has been proven wrong ("Brontosauruses" show up and the T Rex is considered the greatest predator of all time), plus there's one particular section about the dilophosaurs where they keep saying they're "poisonous" when they mean "venomous". It's interesting too how much it expects people to know nothing at all about dinosaurs, but I guess it makes sense that they really weren't in the zeitgeist before the movie came out.
My main complaint though is that someone really needs to release a new edition where Malcolm's lines are rewritten with Goldblum interjections, it's weird to try and read it in his voice as is.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chas McGill posted:

I pre-ordered a medieval horror anthology with Buehlman, Evenson et al in it

Yo, name this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sweet, it’s only $4 too.