Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
Is there anything out there like Lake Monsters? I started Wounds and I'm not crazy about it. Too much like Ligotti's weirder cosmic puppet stuff. If there are other short collections in line with Lake Monsters or, for example, Ligotti's short The Bungalow House I'd be eager to check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

I'm doing research for a project involving Tennessee (specifically the southeast border) and I'm looking for some creepy materials on rural southern Appalachia. Works by people native to the area would be a huge plus. Anything worth checking out? The exact location is kinda important, the border of the Tennessee Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains is fairly significant to the work I'm doing and contains a lot of natural diversity. Really though, anything Appalachian is a thumbs up, fiction or otherwise. Classic ghost stories, monster stuff, hillbilly horror, all good good good.

Also Ballingrud will never top Lake Monsters. It's his Teatro Grottesco.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Wow, I did not expect such thoughtful responses! Thank you all! I apologize for the vagueness of my post, I've been working on this thing for 3 years or so and it's become something incredibly complex, and I want to make sure I cover all my bases with genuine information. It's a little hard to describe exactly what I'm looking for, because I'm essentially looking for everything. The last time I set foot in the US was upper NY state maybe 15 years ago (it was dire) so lately I've been poring over topo maps from USGS, old DoD maps, JSTOR, journals about the area's ecosystem, and archived news articles. It's been surprisingly difficult to find books that aren't primarily about the aftermath of the industrial decline. All that's left is the spooky stuff, and you guys have nailed it in one.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't have books I can point to (they live in a box right now), but anything on Appalachian/Scotch-Irish folklore is gonna be a good start. Check out the Anthropology section out at your local library, or even better, a good college book-store.

The Scots-Irish folklore tip is a good one - it's a little embarrassing, my family being Scots-Irish, but I wasn't fully aware of the significance of Ulster Scots settling in America and there's a lot of great folklore and folk magic to sift through. It brings an entirely different dimension into the mix I wasn't prepared for - but it's a very welcome one.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Hmm my mind immediately went to the Tailypo folktale, but that's one of the more famous Appalachia horror stories. Do you know it?

Edit: and obviously include "Wild Acre" if you're talking about Ballingrud and Blue Ridge Mountain horror

Double edit: it's on the NC side of things and maybe too far away from what you're looking for but there's a bridge people think is haunted in Asheville, they say a lady hung herself off the side of it. You're supposed to park under it and turn off your engine and wait for weird poo poo to happen. Used to do that all the time in college with my friends to really freak our poo poo out

I do know Tailypo but really only the standard "man gets mauled after maiming a scary demon dog" story. Looking deeper into the origins and themes has been honestly enlightening, I didn't realize how rich the history of the legend was.

nate fisher posted:

That is my home area. My family is from the mountains of WNC and I grew up mostly in East TN (Johnson City/Jonesborough area). Are you interested in non-supernatural stuff also? I assume you know about Murderous Mary (the elephant) and her hanging in Erwin. Two recent true horrifying stories are the Lillelid murders back in the 90's (family murdered by teenagers at a rest area on the way back to Knoxville from JC), and one of the sickest true accounts I have ever read in my life (I want to bleach my mind of it) is the Christian and Newsome murders in Knoxville. Also there is an insane story from Mountain City, TN about a girl who catfished (as a CIA agent) her mom and dad to brutally kill a couple she was jealous over.

There is tons of supernatural stuff from the area going back to Cherokee of course. The bald tops in the Roan Mountain area have several explanations of the supernatural kind (Cherokee said their God made them bald to serve as lookout for a monster bird that would carry off kids). Also in that area is the site of the Cloudland Hotel (it closed down in the early 1900's) and stories of ghost singing. Not far from there is the famous Brown Mountain Lights at Wiseman's View. I have actually seen them twice (it is worth a visit and I would go in the fall) and they even did an X-Files episode about them. In the JC area I would look into the story of Al Capone having a headquarters there (while I heard this story since I was young, no one can prove or disprove it). JC also has the Swingle Hospital story ( I had to google the name, cause I couldn't remember) which is typical word of mouth stuff.

Of course the Great Smoky Mountains has tons of the stories, and I would look into Jonesborough, TN, Boone, NC, and Hot Spring, NC areas also. I feel like I have told you nothing you don't already know. One possible suggestion is there is a writer named Michael Hardy in Avery County, NC. He wrote for the local paper and has several published books about the history of the area. He knows a lot about that area and he might be worth reaching out to. When the house my grandfather built in Crossnore, NC brunt down (the house was on National Register of Historic Places) I reached out to him and he was pretty helpful in getting me some information.

You've definitely added a whole lot I didn't know, and may PM you in the future if that's alright. While I'm definitely looking for supernatural tales the true crime you've brought out is fascinating and helpful beyond belief. It's a facet I wasn't expecting to explore but now that it's in front of me it's like, duh, this fits my needs and then some. The shout out to Michael Hardy is something I'll be following up on for sure. Thanks for sharing your own experiences and local legends.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Please be writing a haunted account at Lake Winnepesaukah. Or about this thing: https://goo.gl/maps/2Tpo9BWWrSPuhuqK9

I grew up on the GA/TN border outside the Cohuttas and wrote my history capstone about Cherokee history in the region, so I feel like I should have something helpful to add here, but nothing is coming to mind. Maybe check out Foxfire.org. New Echota's library has a lot of good material on Cherokee history (or at least they did ten years ago when I was doing research). The stone structure on Fort Mountain is spooky, but that's Georgia again.

spookiest plant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_uniflora

Hah, Fields of the Wood happens to be less than an hour from where I've been gathering most of my regional information ;). I actually do have a few books Foxfire has published, and they've been a great help as well as just being good reads overall. I'm working through one of the folklore collections, but Appalachia in general is just fascinating. Also, the ghost plant is very very interesting and now I'm on a quest to find more examples of weird flora.

For the sake of the thread I'll actually contribute as well. I've been on a real classics kick lately, going back over M R James stories, R W Chambers, just a bunch of weird fiction before Lovecraft showed up. Some of them hold up surprisingly well, I had forgotten just how eerie James' stories could be. I have to give A Head Full of Ghosts another try, I couldn't really get into it a few years ago and it sounds like it'll be a complete 180 from the late 19th/early 20th century stuff I've been into recently. The contrast could end up being really good or really awful and that's kinda exciting on its own.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Aberration in the Heartland of the Real

Someone asked about actually being scared by books, and stuff like this is the closest I've ever gotten. Aberration in the Heartland of the Real, The Devil's Chessboard, and CHAOS: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties are all conspiracy heavy but they are well written, researched, and will definitely put something in your brain that's hard to get rid of.

Also, Ligotti.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

I didn't know The Troop had a reputation at all. Around the time it was published I picked it up at random, thought it was ok I guess, and never thought about it again until now. I didn't know anyone else had even read it

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Is there anything out there that's as bleak and nihilistic as Ligotti?

"For sale: clown shoes, never worn."

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

i think teatro grottesco is more approachable but grimscribe has the last feast of harlequin so it's impossible to say

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

szary posted:

Bay's End by Edward Lorn

i'm 1/4 through this and it kinda reads like a goosebumps book but with dialogue cornier in ways i thought not possible, awkward swears, and uncomfortable writing about horny children.

anyway i'm also reading Reza Negarestani's Cyclonopedia and i think it's giving me schizophrenia

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

I finally got around to reading Between Two Fires a couple days ago and it was very, very good. All the comte and seigneurie talk was funny to see, I had just come off the back of a lot of French genealogy work.

I immediately went into Red Rabbit and I'm gonna be real sad when I'm finished that too. Any more period pieces along the same lines?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

BioTech posted:

Hollow by Bryan Catling

Good Citizen posted:

Howls From the Dark Ages

Great now I gotta pick which one comes first :mad:

I found copies of Rod Serling's Night Gallery books recently too and I'm extremely excited - Serling has been a hero of mine since I was a kid. I still fall asleep with The Twilight Zone on in the background.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

I'm about halfway through Adam Nevill's Last Days and I'm digging it so far, love some evil cult business. My only hangup, not even sure if it's a spoiler but oh well: Professionals using the members' corny rear end demon names instead of their real ones is insanely goofy to me. I cannot possibly imagine a grizzled old southern cop constantly call a dude "Moloch" but maybe that will make sense later, I have no idea where the second half might go.

I planned to start with House of Small Shadows but switched gears when folks here mentioned Last Days

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I've been reading horror!

A Guest in the House by Emily Carroll.

drat this destroyed me. Is their other work this good too? I remember really liking His Face All Red when it was making the internet rounds. For that matter, are there any graphic novels or comic omnibuses that might scratch a horror itch? I just finished Harrow County, it was pretty great, but grounded spooky hauntings and a generally heavy atmosphere are my poo poo.

I've searched reddit for recommendations but it's hit or miss and usually there is very little if any context or description provided

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

The thing with horror in comic form is it tends to be action focused, edgy to the extreme, and/or rely heavily on an existing source material due to the serialized format. So you end up with a lot of the Walking Dead, Crossed, and a million variations on the Aliens franchise, and not too much atmospheric stuff outside of short-run indie label comics that are more horror-adjacent than full horror.

There have also been a few collaborations between comic companies and horror authors like Stephen King and marvel and Clive Barker and (i think) dark horse.

I'm assuming you're already familiar with Junji Ito's horror manga collections?

Yeah, I've got all Junji Ito's hardcovers put out by Viz. And yeah the problem with action and ridiculous fantasy have been a real problem for me. Something starts off a spooky little mystery and all of a sudden there's a super hero demon killer with a big fuckoff gun running around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

ty for the graphic novel/comic recommendations, i've started with Gideon Falls and Something is Killing the Children, enjoying both so far.

in non-picture books i'm also working on Hollow (Brian Catling), which i think was recommended earlier itt, it's been on my list for a while. decent Between Two Fires vibes but i already know nothing will ever get close.

dropped The Complete Symphonies of Adolf Hitler and Other Strange Stories (Reggie Oliver) super hard because imo it takes really interesting concepts and ruins them almost every single time. feels like if M.R. James wrote HORRORS by Ben Biddick