Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm about a third of the way through The Fisherman and having a hard time continuing. I feel like basically nothing has happened, and the writing isn't outstanding enough to keep it from dragging. I'm honestly a little puzzled by the near-universal praise it seemed to get when it came out. I guess it's possible it's not my cup of tea, but boy does it come off as a very bland book to me.

The way the story gets told through the overly long middle is kind of a drag, but I thought it started and ended strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

I recently gave the elementals a listen and while I enjoy the horror aspects of it, the relationship between the father and daughter came off strange and I was disappointed that so much of the other worldliness and supernatural had to get conveyed or seek explanation through the lens of a magical negro character.

I still liked it though, just felt it was a bit dated.

I also recently listened to Lost Gods by Brom and absolutely loved it.

R.C. Bray does the narration for it as well and does a great job.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

The unexplained weird relationship between the daughter and the father is completely intentional though, it’s supposed to be uncomfortable.

Mission accomplished then. I shouldn't have led in with that as a detractor. That's definitely personal on my part. All in all, the imagery and ideas were excellent. I did enjoy the story. Just not the direction some of the tropes took.

Looking for more horror in the south, to be honest... feels like home.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

While I originally found myself at odds with The Elementals, I was obsessed with Blackwater and genuinely felt sad when it ended, like I was seeing loved ones for the last time or something. I've since made my way through about everything else he's written and love his stories and the way he tells them.

Can I get recommendations on authors whose writing style and content is reminiscent of McDowell's?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

I appreciate the recs. I probably should check out other southern gothic classics. I love how McDowell handled the supernatural and otherworldly.

Anyone read or listen to Bellefleur by Joyce Carol Oates? I've seen it recommended in searching for stuff similar to Blackwater.