Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

RE Nothing But Blackened Teeth by Cassandra Khaw

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Cassandra Khaw work. Most of the time it reads like YA novels, regardless of its intended audience. Nothing but blacked teeth felt like a full novel cut down to fit into a short story anthology, minus the rest of the anthology.

The ending felt embarrassing too, like Khaw didn't have faith in one ending, so they threw on a but wait there's more! the ghost is actually still haunting them! whoa wow what the?! The 'rules' the book/ghost established felt confusing. I don't think I missed anything but eh. The pacing was also bizarre. We get scenes slapped together and conversations as scotch tape to make it stick. I'm not sure if it was supposed to make it feel suffocating or disjointed on purpose?

The premise is incredibly weak to me. Like regardless if they were rich or poor, in a haunted house or not, you'd definitely harm familial relationships by having a wedding far away and not inviting your parents.

By the way, has anyone read Journals of Horror: Found Fiction Terry M. West ? I was looking for more 'found footage' / faux documentary stuff in the vein of Nevill's Last Days, but haven't found too much that looks interesting. Here's the table of contents.

Bagged, Tagged & Buried By Terry M. West
Turn Me On, Dead Man By Robin Dover
Truant By D.S. Ullery
The Book Of Flesh And Blood By Jeff O’brien
Beyond Castle Frankenstein By Paula Cappa
Dying Scrawl By Dj Tyrer
Girl In The Woods By Evan Purcell
Going Home By Michael Mcglade
Hamburger Lady By Darryl Dawson
Hole By Joseph Ramshaw
Human Resources By Todd Keisling
In The Woods, We Wait By Matt Hayward
“Killing Jessica” By Glenn Rolfe
Letter To Grandma By Crystal Leflar
Look Up By Michael Seese
Lucca By John Ledger
Night Terrors: Journal By Michael Thomas-Knight
Finders Keepers By Paul D. Marks
The Anniversary By Sonja Thomas
The Breath Within The Darkness By Essel Pratt
The Devil’s Irony By Lori R. Lopez
The Note By P. D. Cacek
The Seahorse Speaks By Erik Gustafson
Vermilion A Traveler’s Account By Stuart Keane
Whispers On The Wind By Robert Mcgough
There's Something In My House By Wesley Thomas
Tweets Of Terror By Robert Holt
Self-Consumed By Terry M. West & Regina West
Note-To-Self By Christopher Alan Broadstone

At least there's a variety, so that you can skip to the next one if it's not clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Some of those look pretty interesting and I'd be down for a trip-report when you make some progress if you don't mind.

I really like "In the Woods, We Wait" as a title. Is this the author any good? A quick google gave me that he has a recent novel out "Those Below the Treehouse" which looks like a kind of coming-of-age plant(?) zombie(?) thing maybe? So could be trash but could be trash in a good way? Anyone heard of any of these?

Eh, I'll give it a go. Or at least summarize the stories. The first one isn't terribly promising. Ah, Mox Fulder's Z File division is getting shut down but with a plot twist, and we learn about it via emails. Just what I want to read on this holiday break: more emails!

I've never heard of any of these authors but that's fine, some people are occasional writers. I'm very happy they get their stuff published when they can. Maybe there's some hidden gems.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ok I finally finished reading the whole thread. Glad to see everyone is has the hots for Aickman and Ligotti. Pork something something catch phrase goes here. I saw a lot of books I've read, but I didn't see these mentioned so maybe here's a few recs for others.

What I read in 2021 and liked enough to admit in public to reading fully, entirely, with both my human eyes.

A Dowry of Blood - S.T. Gibson
Dracula but make it from the Brides/Grooms POV, and give it a fresher twist. Personally I'd call this Domestic Violence The Novel feat Dracula. It's not a bad thing, the prose is lovely and I thought it was an interesting version. But the toxic relationship portion was the focus, so don't expect much topics outside that. There is a bisexual or gay men relationship, not entirely sure which, but the pov is solely the Bride's so it's more a background relationship. I can appreciate showing lgbt relationships that are toxic and abusive. Woo, what an ending. Filed under good for her, her, and him!

FantasticLand - Mike Bockoven
This was mentioned briefly ITT but here's a reminder. I wouldn't exactly call this horror in that there's no supernatural or paranormal incidents. It's very... realistic faux documentary about a horrifying reaction to a natural disaster and the lack of state / federal support. I liked the rotating view points of the interviewees, how the groups divided, how everything devolved into chaos around them. I appreciated the realism of the soldier, near the end of the book. That's pretty much what I assume a semi bored, mostly traumatized soldier man bro to react to endless amounts of random disaster death. If it was a macho superhero caricature I would like it less.
Basically imagine Disneyland but what if they split into factions because tribalism and started committing violence against each other because a hurricane cut them off from the world. It gets fairly gorey at some points.
Note, re sexual violence in this novel. While rape is never explicit or stated to happen, there is often portrayed the threat or implication that sexual abuse is happening off screen. Outright, rape is alleged to have happen briefly in a single sentence. But if that still bothers you, skip it.

The Changeling - Victor LaValle
Black man author. This is horror, but it's heavily flavored with myths and fairy tales. I dare say this is Folk Horror, albeit modernised. I don't know how to explain it without spoiling everything. A Black man in the modern day finds himself journeying through a fairy tale esque hero's journey to discover what happened to his wife, and why she killed their child and attempted to kill him. It's mainly a mystery story, wherein we follow the main Black character traversing land and sea for clues to where his wife has fled--and, perhaps, understanding just what happened to their infant. Definitely weird supernatural poo poo. It's a long read despite it being only 400+ pages. Let your brain soak in it.

The Night Will Find Us - Matthew Lyons
White man author. Yes the main characters are 18 yo children, but it's not a YA aimed novel. There's plenty of creepy monsters, gore, murder, and supernatural poo poo. I love a decent Forest Horror story and thought this was more fun and briefer than that The Ritual novel from Nevill.

Prosper's Demon - K. J. Parker
An exorcist in Ye Olde European Times faces down a particularly irritating, recurring demon who plans to tutor / groom a future king, perhaps with dangerous intentions. I liked the witty conversations, and thought the world building was decent. At times it felt like the wittiness was hitting cringy quirky Deadpool levels in how self aware it was, though. I appreciate that the exorcist was a ordinary man who just wanted to do his job and be done with it though. The equivalent of clocking out the second you're allowed to.

A Spectral Hue - Craig Laurance Gidney
Black gay author. Maybe more Dark Fantasy with Eldritch horror and Folk horror. The themes and prose are gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. I think I've reread it twice, and I keep finding new things to gawk over. It's an incredibly Black book, about Black people and generational trauma. The way the author uses such lush color, and how everything ties together despite characters not specifically having direct links is amazing. The way the color fuschia haunts the characters throughout the ages is terrifying but comforting all at once. The way color itself ties itself back from the end to the start. God, this slapped my soul out of my body. This is definitely a story to read slowly. It features a rotating cast throughout several generations, but I think it ties things together very well. Gidney also has a short story anthology called 'Sea, Swallow Me & Other Stories' which looks very intersting.
Fair warning. It deals explicitly with Black slavery in the US, and does become graphic.

Here's the summary for A Spectral Hue because it explains it better than I can.

quote:

For generations, the marsh-surrounded town of Shimmer, Maryland has played host to a loose movement of African-American artists, all working in different media, but all utilizing the same haunting color. Landscape paintings, trompe l’oeil quilts, decorated dolls, mixed-media assemblages, and more, all featuring the same peculiar hue, a shifting pigment somewhere between purple and pink, the color of the saltmarsh orchid, a rare and indigenous flower.
Graduate student Xavier Wentworth has been drawn to Shimmer, hoping to study the work of artists like quilter Hazel Whitby and landscape painter Shadrach Grayson in detail, having experienced something akin to an epiphany when viewing a Hazel Whitby tapestry as a child. Xavier will find that others, too, have been drawn to Shimmer, called by something more than art, something in the marsh itself, a mysterious, spectral hue.

Future Home of the Living God - Louise Erdrich
Indigenous woman author, specifically Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians. Thanks wikipedia. Summary from storygraph.

quote:

"The world as we know it is ending. Evolution has reversed itself as women have begun giving birth to babies that appear to be a primitive species of human. When rumors start of Congress rounding up and confining pregnant women, Cedar Hawk Songmaker will do anything to keep herself and her unborn baby safe."

It has a religious horror flavor to it, but it's not purely the typical antichrist is trying to be born that is common. It's a brutal read, and the ending is is not a happy one. You will at least sympathize with the main character and her struggles. It's reads as an autobiographical at times since it's a diary by the MC. I liked the personality the MC has. Yeah it's about fertility rights / personhood and maybe gets heavy handed about that.

Blood Is Another Word for Hunger - Rivers Solomon
Black woman author. It's. Uh. It's Pregnancy Horror. Yup, that's a Genre now. Solomon, Erdrich, Rocklyn, et al has made it so. A young Black woman murders her former slave masters, and proceeds to give birth to her descendants. I cannot say more than this as it will spoil all 25 pages. Enjoy if you want to read it!
Fair warning. Real explicit Black slavery in the US shown here. It's the entire short story.

You Let Me In - Camilla Bruce.
White norwegian woman author.
Dark fantasy / horror. If there's only three books you read from this list, make it this one, LaValle's and Erdrich's books.
A famous author vanishes. Her niece and nephew inherit her house and all it contains, including her final manuscript. Her side of the story, the how and why of her father and brother's murder-suicide, and her alleged murder of her husband. Was the insanity defense a clever ploy from a murderess, or did the Fae cause her to brutally slaughter her husband with an axe? What really happened in her childhood? Was she simply born bad, or did the fairy folk break her mind from years of haunting her? I loved the concept of using the fae as a symptom of trauma and mental illness. Or is it?!?! It's kept vague enough that you could read it either way. At times the metaphors and analogies got a lil heavy handed. The floweriness evened out from what it is like at the start.
Note The theme of incest / csa is present through the book. It's not explicitly shown, but it's explicitly clear that abuse occured, including one scene with a brief mention of some blood in a child's bed.

Condemned - Christopher Renna
White gay man author.
Did you like Grady Hendrix's 'My Best Friend's Exorcism'? This is kinda the teenage boy version, written by a gay man. It is rather blander as there's far less 80s references, but it was fine in its own right. You might get tired of high school scenes as, well, they are teenagers. There's also a fair amount of homophobia and lesbophobia. Because, again, they are teenagers.

Never Have I Ever: Stories - Isabel Yap
Filipino woman author. Horror and dark fairy-/folk-tales, but specifically of the Filipino variety. It's an anthology by a single author. At times the writing felt a little immature but I chalk that up to being about teen / young characters. There's a fair amount of variety, from haunted schools to Filipino monsters.
Contains graphic pedophilia / csa scenes, esp in the final story.

The Worm and His Kings - Hailey Piper
Eldritch horror but make it lesbians, feat transbian main character. The author is a white trans woman. I loved the unique eldritch lore the author created, and the otherworld / underworld. This is extremely what I want from the eldritch horror genre. It felt refreshing and unique to me. I also appreciated the MC being a disadvantaged homeless woman. I think it's usually middle class or well to do scholars who have typically investigated eldritch / cosmic nonsense, isn't it? At least what I half remember from reading lovecraft years ago. I could be talking out my rear end, which is my fave past time.

The End of the Sentence - Maria Dahvana Headley and Kat Howard
White women authors. Folk horror / dark fairy tales / haunted house. A grieving man buys a house in the middle of no where, and, so to speak, 'inherits'... the previous owner? The one who was serving a prison sentence for hundred years, and is now returning. And oh, the current home owner must accomplish a violence task for him. There's no choice otherwise. I liked the unique type of haunting that this house has, and the combination of various myths brought over by the white colonizers to the US.

City of Red Midnight: A Hikayat - Usman T. Malik
Pakistani man author. A short story, dark fantasy rather than horror. But the imagery creeped me out, and I appreciate a drat fine Otherworld. An interlocking story that's very moody and gorey, and kinda bizarre?

Honorary Mentions
Rules For Vanishing - Kate Alice Marshall
Horror with Fantasy. Grits teeth, yes this is also YA genre, don't bully me dang it. The writing does reflect that. In my defense my moonreader app doesn't list genres and I'm wanted more 'found horror' / multimedia novels a la Blair Witch Movie and Pessl's Night Film. It's been a while since I read it, but I liked the rotating view points, the local folk lore, the bizarre Otherworld, the cute close relationships, the multi media portions such as transcripts, internet forums posts a la ARG forums, interviews, etc.
Note there's a spider in this. It's big. It's featured over several chapters if that's an issue for members of the Anti Spider League.

The Breach by M T Hill
I'd call this Insect Horror or Parasite Horror. Admittedly it's listed as sci fi / thriller genre, but it grossed me out enough and the insect parts were creepy to me. There's nothing paranormal or supernatural, per se. It follows two characters, Shep, a man into urbex and Freya, a woman who is investigating the tragic death of a climber. However his death is stranger than a typical climbing accident, when a strange photo of a 'nest' appears on an online forum. poo poo goes wrong and it doesn't stop going wrong. Everything is a mess. Why does his head hurt? God there's bugs and fungi everywhere. Lady don't go into that sweet smelling abandoned building. This company wants to build a tower into space? Oh no.
If you liked the Dionaea House web fiction, The Last of Us game, or Girl With All the Gifts book series, you may be interested in this one.

'Six Stories' series - Matt Wesolowski
This is actually a series of novellas/novels called 'Six Stories'. The first book in the series goes by that title. It's a lil confusing. It's generally suspense / mystery with faux True Crime elements. There is some supernatural and paranormal elements to it, but stays true to the suspense genre. It's not purestrain horror, so please don't expect that. You'll be disappointed. But you might appreciate the solid conclusions. I liked the faux podcast element. The books are transcription-flavored, but for the most part read like novels. It's not endless skype chat logs. The chapters are split into 'episodes' in which there are rotating POVs of interviews, intro / extros, interjections and personal audio notes from the podcast interview character 'Scott King'. I think it has a decent balance between character voices and the recurring Scott King character, and how well it builds up the settings. I liked 'Changeling' and 'Deity' the most. Imo the worst one was 'Beast', but maybe I just didn't get the ending.

The One That Comes Before by Livia Llewellyn
White woman author. Eldritch horror short story. I love some good eldritch horror, and this also had some background architecture horror too! [to a degree.] The city is monstrously huge and while its not haunted or sentient, it reminds me of the BLAME! manga and the House from House of Leaves' later chapters. The writing was neat and florid, and the plot was pretty interesting. Definitely has some weird sex poo poo in it. Might be a, ha, turn off. The ending was gently sequel bait.

It goes in this mention list, though, because the author is white and she has a lovely antiblack bit in this book about the MC's Black textured hair is "dirty cotton candy" and she's not Black enough to be the right kind of Black, and not lightskinned / white passing enough to be white. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and doesn't come up again besides that. There's also some fatphobia / body shaming in the same scene because the MC isn't a skinny white woman. Again, doesn't come up elsewhere. I really hate white authors who pull this poo poo. The setting is eldritch, to the point where there's obvious fish like body horror monster people riding the same buses as the MC is. The MC is by default incredibly different than these fishy monster peoples. What was the point of the antiblackness. I don't know. Did Lovecraft temporarily possess the author? Possibly. I cannot personally prove otherwise. The writing was great, but that section grated on me worse than the rest of the book, which had a fair amount of gross gorey poo poo. There's definitely classism themes, so I guess I can strain my eyes to see the point of that. But personally I don't trust white authors to handle race well in an eldritch horror book. Ok I'm stepping off my soap box now.

Flowers for the Sea by Zin E Rocklyn
Black woman author. Oceanic Eldritch Pregnancy? Horror. I... wasn't entirely enthralled by this. The prose was nice, the premise interesting, but it fell flat for me. I mention it here because eh. Eh? Maybe it'll click with someone else. The story is about a socially reviled and needed woman days from giving birth to one of the few living children left in their community. Birth to who? Or to what? You have 112 pages to find out. The book cover may or may not spoil it. I don't actually know.

Anoka: A Collection of Indigenous Horror - Shane Hawk
Indigenous men author. Indigenous Horror anthology, based around a location called Anoka. It goes under Honorary mention because ehh. I felt the writing was a bit weak. The plots were interesting, and I think 'Imitate' and 'Transfigured' were the strongest of the bunch. Still, it was interesting and if you want something different, give this a go. Definitely pretty gorey and gross at times.

Ps anyone here read Revelator by Daryl Gregory? It came out 2021. The reviews on storygraph look good at 4.03 star rating, but I don't know what they say as I don't want to get too spoiled for it. The book cover looks like the goth version of that Midsommar flower dress. You know the one.

Anyways, it's next on my reading list. Well. It's listed on my tbr. I'll get around to it. Maybe next year. The summary from storygraph.

quote:

In 1933, nine-year-old Stella is left in the care of her grandmother, Motty, in the backwoods of Tennessee. These remote hills of the Smoky Mountains are home to dangerous secrets, and soon after she arrives, Stella wanders into a dark cavern where she encounters the family’s personal god, an entity known as Ghostdaddy.

Fifteen years later, after a tragic incident had caused her to flee, Stella–now a professional moonshiner and bootleger–returns for Motty’s funeral, only to discover a mysterious ten-year-old girl named Sunny living on the property. Sunny appears innocent enough, but she is more powerful than Stella could ever imagine–and a direct link to Stella’s buried past and her family’s destructive faith.

Folk horror? Religious horror? Cosmic horror?? It kind of reminds me of the novella My Heart Struck Sorrow by John Hornor Jacobs . I'll find out if it's shares much similarities when I get around to reading it. Anyways, sorry for the big post, hopefully something here looks interesting to a stranger. Happy horror!

PS I know it's the holidays but hey, what's the best or most memorable books y'all have read in 2021? Doesn't even have to be published this year either.

PPS thank you to whomever mentioned Taaqtumi anthology edited by Neil Christopher that anthology looks cool and I hope it gets here soon!

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 1, 2022

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

ravenkult posted:

Have you read Lost Signals, Lost Films and the latest one, Lost Contact?

Not yet. I was gifted Lost Signals from a friend, but I'm not familiar with the others. The summary was vague, and I didn't realize it's found footage type weird genre. Thanks, I'll bump it up the tbr queue and check out the others! I'm on a big anthology kick because the holidays make it hard to get into a long, full length novel at the moment.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks for this, put a few of these on my list to seek out sometime

Nice!! Happy reading! Also one more that I read a while ago and just remembered.

We Are All Completely Fine - Daryl Gregory

quote:

Harrison is the Monster Detective, a storybook hero. Now he’s in his mid-thirties and spends most of his time not sleeping.

Stan became a minor celebrity after being partially eaten by cannibals. Barbara is haunted by the messages carved upon her bones. Greta may or may not be a mass-murdering arsonist. And for some reason, Martin never takes off his sunglasses.

Unsurprisingly, no one believes their horrific tales until they are sought out by psychotherapist Dr. Jan Sayer. What happens when these likely-insane outcasts join a support group? Together they must discover which monsters they face are within and which are lurking in plain sight.

I vaguely recall it's slightly more somber in tone than Hendrix's 'My Best Friend's Exorcism' or Edgar Cantero's 'Meddling Kids'. It's a novella, pretty suspenseful, and has an interesting premise.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ah, I didn't realize. I was going by the first name in the Storygraph summary page. I have no idea why they don't list editors separately. Thank you, it's corrected.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Journals of Horror: Found Fiction - Todd Keisling

Between the holidays and insomnia and random fireworks keeping me up, I finished it. I tried to keep it brief because man, this poo poo got long enough. I tried to add non spoiler summaries in "quotes" below the titles.

Bagged, Tagged & Buried By Terry M. West
"Imagine Fox Mulders x file division is shut down but secretly rerouted within another fbi division. But the current head of the x file division had his own agenda."

It felt pretty underdeveloped due to its length. I can appreciate getting to the point / plot twist. Not too aligned with the found footage theme. i half wish they name dropped some creepy Artifacts or whatever.

Turn Me On, Dead Man By Robin Dover
"A monologue transcribed from various objects of a dying man."

It gets a lot of points of having great descriptions, and joining it all together despite being the odd ramblings of a person obsessed with death and numerology. The imagery was interesting. I can't tell if this is psychosis or not.

Truant By D.S. Ullery
"Transcripts of a court ordered journal of a domestic abuser and the last days of his life."

This gets points for a realistic police characterization. Eh gently caress investigating stuff, just bag the evidence and log overtime for getting donuts. I felt like the domestic abuse was a bit on the nose but ok, they're going for a unredeemable rear end in a top hat character. I kind of like it in that this could be a 'bad guy' pov in a longer novel. But it was cohesive enough to work on its own.

The Book Of Flesh And Blood By Jeff O’brien
"Standard evil cursed object, in this case a book. Two cleaning workers come across a evil book."

This felt like the average rich explorer obsessed with finding a specific mystical artifact and coming to a terrible end. Except very much compressed into a handful of pages. It was neat, a little forgettable, and imo loses points for a rich person murdering poor people. gently caress the rich, etc etc.

Beyond Castle Frankenstein By Paula Cappa
"A painting hid a letter from Mary Shelley, revealing an ominous spectre of guilt and grief. "

The first of my faves in this. I love the tie in to the real life Shelley, and how it gave a bit more depth to the average ghost haunting theme. The setting was creepy and classic. The two POVs felt like this story was more fleshed out, as well.

Dying Scrawl By Dj Tyrer
"Lost Carcosa theme. The final words written on a dead man's arms."

Incredibly short at four pages. You could ponder it a bit more to figure out what is happening but I'm not.

Girl In The Woods By Evan Purcell
"Journal transcribed from official letters, advertisements, receipts, 911 transcript and phone texts, all associated with the various sources involved in the case."

Short take on the classic teen massacre horror movie a la Halloween movie series via behind the scenes tects, phone calls, and adverts. A bit shallow, and I feel like this has potential to be expanded upon elsewhere.

Going Home By Michael Mcglade
"After the death of his wife, man return to family home for the first time in decades to restore it as a way to deal with his grief. If only a decaying house was the only thing he came home to."

Typical haunted house, fantastic descriptions of supernatural gribblies and environments, decent tension and atmosphere. I loved the loving brand name item drops. Thanks McGlade for looking up what is the most expensive lip balm there is out there.

Hamburger Lady By Darryl Dawson
"A pedophile crosses paths with an vengeful woman ghost haunting a school."

A fave, if only because it's well written compared to the others. I liked the concept, I thought the characters were well fleshed out for how short is must be, and the gorey creepiness was pretty interesting. Plus, school urban legends? That's always fun. It reminds me of a few stories from Isabel Yap's 'Never Have I Ever' anthology.

Hole By Joseph Ramshaw
"A British exploration party eat a questionable quarry whom refuses digestion. "

rear end based gross out horror. Ok I could see this in a children's horror story anthology, with slight modifications to pass PG ratings. Not a fave, but it gets points for unique monsters and griminess. Also dead british men lmao.

Human Resources By Todd Keisling
"The last will and testament of a man whose workplace has been overtaken by a computer god and its prophet."

I guess this is cosmic horror? It was gently humorous. Like Christopher Moore. I think I would like it more if the timing was better. As it stands, I don't want to read about work during the holidays.

In The Woods, We Wait By Matt Hayward
"An elderly man's last journal entry detailing something horrible that lured his wife, among others, into the woods. Supernatural forest horror."

Ooh yeah this was great and a favorite. The ordinary-turned-creepy location, the initial set up with a character, covering bases with aural and visual horror, the relationship between an elderly couple being well done without needing an info dump of their entire dating history, the general progression of the plot without feeling too rushed? Fantastic.

“Killing Jessica” By Glenn Rolfe
"A journal detailing an incel and his troubled, fatal friendship with his room mates"

Nothing supernatural or paranormal about this. Not even a plot twist. Disappointing. Kinda boring incel poo poo. I'm confused how this counts for horror and not simply a crime thriller. Eh, genres can overlap, It's fine.

Letter To Grandma By Crystal Leflar
"A child locked in a attic pens a letter to grandmother while waiting the return if their mother. Meanwhile, the world outside goes to poo poo."

Some authors can write children well and/or believably. This is not that case. I can excuse that because it was an interestingly different POV compared to the rest of the stories. You're left with questions which is kinda nice because you're spared the info dump.

Look Up By Michael Seese
"A person literally and figuratively follows a self help actualization guide plastered on fliers throughout the city."

Imo this is some kinda pathetic religious bigotry. Imagine the SAW movie series but blatantly about christian sheeple instead of... what was it? Weeding out the weak guilty people? Whatever the original plot was. I guess it was interesting otherwise. I liked the wandering through the city, everything else was silly to me.

Lucca By John Ledger
"Edgy fourchanner pretending to be a teen girl writes a suicide note claiming she's promiscuous and into hardcore bdsm and is going to meet an online daddy dom irl. "

This was embarrassing to read. Baby's first attempt at horror? If you ever read or heard of agony in pink, this is the same genre. I guess if you like edgy grimdark stuff that's not that deep? This is for you? I don't know why I'm posing that like a question, I'm pretty sure this is some sort of genre. Maybe Frank Miller post 9/11 genre, if that's a thing. I'm pretty sure he's the crazy misogynist racist comic book guy. Anyways, it felt like a checklist of horrible things the author heard was on the internet.

Night Terrors: Journal By Michael Thomas-Knight
"The dream journal of a woman in a unhappy marriage detailing various night terrors and unholy presences in their mansion. "

I kinda like this, despite how shallow it was written. The characters do feel one dimensional, but the ending was kinda 'good for her' meets 'oh does not bode well'. I liked the build up of the monsters / haunting and I think it was going for a monster vs monster thing? Not fully sure what the deal was, and simultaneously I want to know more but I know that'd ruin the cosmic horror aspect.

Finders Keepers By Paul D. Marks
"A stoner finds a phone which contains bizarre videos from the previous owner, who claim an angel wants him to do terrible things. "

Another fave, despite the rape nonsense. Not sorry but I hate rape in horror books because it always feels cliche and cheesy and rarely done well to forward the plot. Was this the best the author could come up with? Sad. Anyways. The concept was unique and I like that it combines supernatural, religious horror(?), and haunted objects. It was decently written, compared to others in this anthology. This almost kinda reminds me of Alex Kister's 'Mandela Catalogue' series up on youtube, with divine beings making people do terrible things.

The Anniversary By Sonja Thomas
"A teen boy follows clues his stalker left him to find why the stalker hate-crime-murdered one of his gay foster fathers. "

I feel like every anthology will have at least one story which makes you wonder what the gently caress the editor was thinking including it, and what was the point of this story. So the plot twist is the stalker is the one other named character [the high school coach, not the other foster father], and he killed the gay dad because he saw, exactly one time, the first father bullying the mc foster son. Homophobia also plays a huge reason as to why the coach character wanted to 'save' the mc from his evil dad's who are, horrified gasp, gay, and gay people can't have children!!! Oh no!!

The premise is made of farts and is easily washed away like a dog pissing on your sand castle. The hate crime / homophobia part sounds like the author had already written this story, heard a editor needed another horror story, and added in the hate crime poo poo to met requirements. Without the homophobia, you get a very flimsy story of a legally required reporter, a school employee, taking matters into his own hands and randomly murdering another person because the employee has childhood trauma that comes out of no where.

Also the kid inexplicably turns purestrain evil a la the kid from the The Omen movie. Because survivors of child abuse do that. Ok sure.
I guess this is horrifying? Not sorry but I have higher standards for my horror. Like skip the attempts are hate crime themes unless you can do it with some kind of tact or skill to pull it off well.

Bizarrely the author is a childrens literature author. I don't read much grade / middle school books but dang, you'd think she could write a teen character better than this. Also hilariously this anthology is not listed on her personal website. Hm gee I wonder why.

The Breath Within The Darkness By Essel Pratt
"The last frantic scrawls of a fed agent trapped in a haunted diner."
I don't have much to say. It's a guy. He's trapped and about to die. There wasn't much worldbuilding or creepiness to the monster. In a neutral sense, this reminded me of creepypastas from reddit's various short horror story forums that are good enough to be turned into audio books by various youtubers who narrate such things. You know, like Lighthouse Horror and such.

The Devil’s Irony By Lori R. Lopez
"A young man does some urban exploring in underground tunnels where his grandfather had disappeared in. Urbex / abandoned city tunnel horror?"

You know the movie 'As Above, So Below [2014]'? This, but a single character, minus the movie's plot twist and things related to that. It's a transcript of a video recording the young man character does. I can tell the author is trying to make us care about him, the dog, the grandpa character. I appreciate the effort even if it didn't click with me. I do hate word for word transcripts, but I think this could've done with third person additions to flesh out the environment. It felt just a lil like a youtuber doing a directors commentary for their own work. A lil bland, but the setting and characters were interesting, and it made me want to like this.

The Note By P. D. Cacek
"A poem about a strange note found in a second hand bureau."

No comment, I'm not one for poems. Short but sweet, and the setting was alright.

The Seahorse Speaks By Erik Gustafson
"A man gets caught up in the creation of a macabre carousel."

If I try not to think too hard on this, I really love it. Ok no woops I'm thinking too hard now. How did anyone find the 'notes' left behind by the MC? Was the carousel just sitting around afterwards? What was the point of all that effort? Is it an evil wizard? I left the summary vague but I swear this is really cool and neat and I liked the idea, and think it executed the body horror very well. Yup I still love it.

Vermilion A Traveler’s Account By Stuart Keane
"An edgy misogynist serial killer gets caught at the start of a zombie disease outbreak at a pub. "

Try hard edgy grimdark misogyny flavored stories just don't work for me. Y'all remember those GBS stories about the army man who was a bad rear end and made his foster son(?) wake up at 3am to jog on the beach, and I think it was written by 50 foot ant? That's this story, but with heavy flavours of axemaniac misogyny. No this comparison doesn't make sense, Yes I know I have heavy brain damage from being on the internet.

Whispers On The Wind By Robert Mcgough
"A writer's newly purchased home in the distant woods proves inspiring with deathly, horrifying results. Cosmic eldritch horror."

You know that Cordova character from Marisha Pessl's 'Night Film'? Not entirely the same, but in a similar sense to me. That a author plagued by otherworldly inspiration becoming the unwitting 'prophet' for cosmic, eldritch horrors is pretty cool. I thought the world building was decent, the characterization and setting was interesting, and the tension was consistent. Plus the paranoia! How do you explain you're haunted when, for all outside appearances, you're a random hermit living in the backwater woods? How do you escape? Do you attempt to get help, only to drag others into fatal circumstances? I kinda wish this was a novella, let the plot breathe a little. This is also the first story that made me look up the author for other works.

There's Something In My House By Wesley Thomas
"A man moves into a house haunted by the ghost of a murderous clown. Very tell don't show."

It was... ok. Clown Horror doesn't work for me. Maybe someone else would like this. It felt a lil disjointed in an accidental way. Kinda weird, definitely creepy.

Tweets Of Terror By Robert Holt
"A series of tweets between a stalker and their victim. "

Yes it's as bad as you'd think. Worse than skype chat logs. It's saving grace is the brevity.

Self-Consumed By Terry M. West & Regina West
"A doctor seeks revenge for his daughter's death, a meal best served over the course of several painful weeks. Real creepy, nice to see race in the US justice system acknowledged, I guess. The POV is the victim."

I know it's racist and tactless to say 'the PoC / Black version of [white character/person] but I kinda want more of this. It's like a Hannibal Lecter, but Black. Frankly is it inappropriate to want a Hannibal Lecter revamp, but make him Black and give him additional reasons of racial justice next to 'this person was rude. time for dinner'? Maybe. Lecter did have a great origin story of eating nazis. I'm conflicted. Let me eat some meat and get back to this later.

Note-To-Self By Christopher Alan Broadstone
"A man struggling with familial trauma and mental illness stumbles across an astrolabe which leads to off screen serial killing until we meet the final victim."

I can't tell if I like this because it's different than the rest of the stories, or because itns one of the few scifi flavored horror stories. It feels like we're dropped into the final chapters of a book, not a bad thing per se, but it left me wanting more. This was way better written than many of the others. The use of ethnic cultures [Indian / Hindu religion?] was kinda weird and I'm not sure how accurate or exploitative it is. The author sure is a white dude lol But the parasite horror was subtle and fantastic. I liked the concept of alien parasites, even if the plot petered out at the end. I wish there was a more solid reason for the parasite to do all this poo poo on earth. Were they sacrifices for a purpose, or just something this alien wanted to do while on vacation? But I also wish it leaned more into the cosmic horror aspect in that we humans simply don't understand this cosmic horror thing happening because it's so different from us.

All in all, it took 2.87 hours to read, a bit longer than the average novel for me. I feel like this anthology had harder peaks and valleys in terms of quality. Some were pretty interesting and a lot were very standard, rehashed tales. At times it did feel pretty repetitive in being endless amounts of transcribed journal diary etc found at crime scene. It had decent variety in themes and settings. I do wish some stories were cut. I think it would've made for a stronger anthology.

Imo best story is In The Woods, We Wait By Matt Hayward and Whispers On The Wind By Robert Mcgough. Worst story is Tweets Of Terror By Robert Holt.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I think this was the thread that mentioned Frozen Hell by John W. Campbell Jr and yeahh!!!! That was some fun horror. It was different enough from the book that it didn't feel like a bullet point by point version of the movie. Go read it now, you won't regrat it!

Also, another book perhaps? I haven't finished it so I'm not sure if I totally enjoyed it. Vanilla by Mona Kabbani, a Lebanese horror author.

quote:

Who knew innocence could cause so much death?
The cure for the sick is in the Devil’s blood. He invests this magic in the children. One child’s life saved in exchange for a sacrifice. And parents are eager to sacrifice. But what happens when the Devil comes across a child he cannot find the will to return? A child he wishes to keep.
Vanilla sits in the concrete room—the one she has lived in since she can remember—and smiles when the Devil enters. She reaches her arms out, lets him cradle her against his chest, and calls him Daddy. Daddy fills her mind with nightmares of the Outside. With all its creatures, lurking, waiting to steal her from him. And she dreams of staying with him forever.
But forever is infeasible.
That is, until the Devil makes his own sacrifice.

Despite the summary, not about pedophilia. Wow. Definitely has some harry potter esque child abuse but not in a funny haha way, and a lot of gore. Like, a lot a LOT. It's an interesting twist on the supernatural vampire creating other vampires story. It's a tad straight forward and not that deep. I do appreciate the gore though, that's always fun. Edit I finished it and ehhh. I don't wholly recommend it. The characters are rather one dimensional, as is the world setting, and you get fed a lot of the backstory instead of it revealing on its own. It was interesting unique, and decently written. I'd probably read other things form this author, eventually.

I brought up the Six Stories series by Matt Wesolowski earlier, and wanted to mention that there's another novellas in the series out now. It's called Demon.

quote:

Scott King's podcast investigates the 1995 cold case of a demon possession in a rural Yorkshire village, where a 12-year-old boy was murdered in cold blood by two children. Book six in the chilling, award-winning Six Stories series.
In 1995, the picture-perfect village of Ussalthwaite was the site of one of the most heinous crimes imaginable, in a case that shocked the world.
Twelve-year-old Sidney Parsons was savagely murdered by two boys his own age. No reason was ever given for this terrible crime, and the 'Demonic Duo' who killed him were imprisoned until their release in 2002, when they were given new identities and lifetime anonymity.
Elusive online journalist Scott King investigates the lead-up and aftermath of the killing, uncovering dark stories of demonic possession, and encountering a village torn apart by this unspeakable act.
And, as episodes of his Six Stories podcast begin to air, and King himself becomes a target of media scrutiny and the public's ire, it becomes clear that whatever drove those two boys to kill is still there, lurking, and the campaign of horror has just begun...

I read it and I appreciate the modernization of the... context? The container of the universe, so to speak, in that it acknowledges what the True Crime fandom has become these days and whether it's that compassionate to the victims for such a concept to exist. This ending was a little more vague than the others in its series, and for once I like that. It has dog death in it, fair warning to the dog enjoyers of the world.

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 7, 2022

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nothing ever good comes from reddit unless it travels though at least five different people's recommendations. Honest to god, we need some sort of ban on publishing fanfic with the serial numbers filed off, and lovely reddit posts from nosleep or whatever horror forums there are on that place. I love indie and self publishing but there is some poo poo that simply shouldn't see the light of day outside of online spaces.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

And yet There is No Antimemetics Division is some of the best horror I've read in years, and it's basically the product of online-only fiction.

TBF it's unusual in that it is very high quality, probably actually saw some editing, and the SCP community at least nominally had some expectation of quality and somewhere along the line, somebody or a group of somebodys were determining what submissions actually made whatever arbitrary quality bar they had set. I guess in that sense Antimemetics is probably the exception that proves the rule, but there's definitely some good horror fiction in online spaces that can make the jump to publishing, it just takes some digging to find.

I'd through Magnus Archives on the audio horror list, it also has the caveat that listening to too many in a row can make it feel very repetitive or cheesy, but one every once in a while can be pretty effective. The podcast narrator also went on to write a horror novel called Thirteen Storeys which I thought was a bit hit-or-miss in terms of the quality of the stories, but the performances were generally very good.

If we miss out on outlier gems like 'TINAD' then I'm ok with that. I've been burned too many times. I read Stolen Tongues by felix blackwell and please tell me that's worth anything at all. Imo it's not. Four loving hours of reading a meandering, repetitive shitfest wherein all the indigenous characters who live 'on the reservation, no we're not naming which one or what Nation' dies gruesomely while the white moron characters flop around into a happy ending. Also the evil is defeat by the indigenous magic shaman saying some words off screen and the possessed victim spewing out black clouds a la Supernatural. Also the one woman character is a one dimensional cartoon character not unlike those rage comics 4chan used to put out. gently caress repackaging reddit posts as novels.

Then again I'll happily eat my words if and when I read 'TINAD' and it turns out not hot poo poo. I mean, I did enjoy Langan's The Fisherman and Ligotti. This thread does have some good taste :shobon: Also, so I'm not just complaining, I'd like to mention Nightlight. It's Black horror written by Black authors, and narrated by Black people. Some episodes do have sound effects which may irritate those with misophonia, or low tolerance for such sound effects in general.

https://nightlightpod.com/

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Lonesome Sound by Jaye Wells I started and then put aside after 11 chapters / 13 percent. There was a lot of child abuse / domestic abuse / violence and it was just not my thing. It was a lil tiring to read small town folk being inbred child/wife beating drunkards. Maybe once the horror kicks in, it will become tolerable? Loud question mark? It doesn't help that I was reading
Revelator by Daryl Gregory alongside it and it was doing the backwoods cosmic folk horror a lot better. I haven't finished it yet but yeah I like it a lot so far.

quote:

In 1933, nine-year-old Stella is left in the care of her grandmother, Motty, in the backwoods of Tennessee. These remote hills of the Smoky Mountains are home to dangerous secrets, and soon after she arrives, Stella wanders into a dark cavern where she encounters the family’s personal god, an entity known as Ghostdaddy.
Fifteen years later, after a tragic incident had caused her to flee, Stella–now a professional moonshiner and bootleger–returns for Motty’s funeral, only to discover a mysterious ten-year-old girl named Sunny living on the property. Sunny appears innocent enough, but she is more powerful than Stella could ever imagine–and a direct link to Stella’s buried past and her family’s destructive faith.
Haunting and wholly engrossing, summoning mesmerizing voices and giving shape to the dark, Revelator is a southern gothic tale for the ages.
note it's got some period / location typical antiblackness. Like a fair amount.

I read The Luminous Dead and it's definitely more scifi than horror. I really enjoyed it and thought the toxic relationship and the setting was pretty tense. But if you want horror a la paranormal, supernatural, or otherwise, it may disappoint. Just go in with tempered expectations, imo.

If you or anyone wants more cave based horror, The Maw by Taylor Zajonc was pretty interesting. Granted I read it a long time ago, but it stuck in my head to this day as creepy and cool. I do recall it going a lil batshit at the end.

quote:

For fans of Clive Cussler and Michael Crichton, a thrilling tale of an underground expedition to the deep . . . and the ultimate struggle for survival.

Milo Luttrell never expected to step inside the mouth of an ancient cave in rural Tanzania. After all, he's a historian--not an archaeologist. Summoned under the guise of a mysterious life-changing opportunity, Milo suddenly finds himself in the midst of an expedition into the largest underground system in Africa, helmed by a brash billionaire-turned-exploration guru and his elite team of cavers. It's a once-in-a-lifetime chance to finally solve a century-old disappearance of the famed explorer Lord Riley DeWar, an enigmatic figure who both made--and nearly ruined--Milo's fledgling career.

Determined to make the most of his second chance, Milo joins the team and begins a harrowing descent into one of Earth's last secrets: a dangerous, pitch-black realm of twisting passages and ancient fossils nearly two thousand feet underground. But when a storm hits the surface base camp, stranding the cavers and washing away supplies, all communication to the outside world is lost. As the remaining resources dwindle and members of the team begin to exhibit strange and terrifying abilities, Milo must brave the encroaching darkness to unearth the truth behind DeWar's fascination with the deep--and why he never left.

By the way, was this the thread that suggested Biogenesis by Tatsuaki Ishiguro? I really liked Snow Maiden, even if it was potentially racist about Ainu people. Also the second to last story was pretty creepy, albeit about ghost flowers than anything traditionally horror. I'm not sure I understand the weeping winged mouse story, though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If y'all like monsters with a bit a tongue in goof, The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi is coming out in March of this year.

quote:

The Kaiju Preservation Society is John Scalzi's first standalone adventure since the conclusion of his New York Times bestselling Interdependency trilogy.

When COVID-19 sweeps through New York City, Jamie Gray is stuck as a dead-end driver for food delivery apps. That is, until Jamie makes a delivery to an old acquaintance, Tom, who works at what he calls “an animal rights organization.” Tom’s team needs a last-minute grunt to handle things on their next field visit. Jamie, eager to do anything, immediately signs on.

What Tom doesn't tell Jamie is that the animals his team cares for are not here on Earth. Not our Earth, at at least. In an alternate dimension, massive dinosaur-like creatures named Kaiju roam a warm and human-free world. They're the universe's largest and most dangerous panda and they're in trouble.

It's not just the Kaiju Preservation Society whose found their way to the alternate world. Others have, too. And their carelessness could cause millions back on our Earth to die.

Also Revelator by Daryl Gregory turned out to be a very excellent book. Fantastic folk horror meets cosmic horror, but not in a lovecraft rip off way.

But fair warning there's huge amounts of period typical anti blackness. The roughest stuff is off screen but it's still hard to read.

Also special small shout outs to

Widow's Point by Richard Chizmar with Billy Chizmar. The ending felt kind of weak because it's a real old trope, and the indigenous racism is always cringy in tyool 2022. I do appreciate a hosed up lighthouse though!

You Should Have Left by Daniel Kehlmann, translated by Ross Benjamin. This one is a neat bit of architecture horror. Apparently it's a movie?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm 33 chapters / 54 percent of the way through and ooh girl, this is a fun paranormal horror with scifi tinge mystery. Someone else please read Where They Wait by Scott Carson. Yes the summary sounds a lil goofy but its a nice variation from classic paranormal location horror. It's also set in Maine.

Summary:

quote:

A new supernatural novel about a sinister mindfulness app with fatal consequences from the New York Times bestselling author of the "grips from the first page" (Stephen King) thriller The Chill.
Recently laid-off from his newspaper and desperate for work, war correspondent Nick Bishop takes a humbling job: writing a profile of a new mindfulness app called Clarity. It's easy money, and a chance to return to his hometown for his first visit in years. The app itself seems like a retread of old ideas--relaxing white noise and guided meditations. But then there are the "Sleep Songs." A woman's hauntingly beautiful voice sings a ballad that is anything but soothing--it's disturbing, really, more of a warning than a relaxation--but it works. Deep, refreshing sleep follows.
So do nightmares. Vivid and chilling, they feature a dead woman who calls Nick by name and whispers guidance--or are they threats? And soon her voice follows him long after the song is done. As the effects of the nightmares begin to permeate his waking life, Nick makes a terrifying discovery: no one involved with Clarityhas any interest in his article. Their interest is in him. Because while he might not have any memory of it, he's one of twenty people who have heard this sinister song before and the only one who is still alive.
An atmospheric and haunting thriller perfect for our times, Where They Wait proves that "horror has a new name and it's Scott Carson" (Michael Connelly, #1 New York Timesbestselling author).

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, enjoyed this book a lot and I wouldn't even hear about it otherwise. Not very scary but definitely a page-turner.
Could've done without the twist ending, that was a bit too predictable to be effective.

Late, but you're welcome! I have no idea where I personally found it. Only the goodreads page is in my history, so, hmm perhaps I have been afflicted by the Ghost Dadman. Also yeah that ending was awfully telegraphed. I wish there was more ambiguity or something.

Do y'all like that there Yellow King fella? You know, Mr Chamber's goofy eldritch horror OC. Well here's two recs about that..

The Final Reconciliation - Todd Keisling. Unfortunately heavy on the misogyny. I do understand it's purposefully unlikeably protag from a dinky Small Town, USA, but it's pretty eye rolling at times. The rampant use of the g*psy is also a lot of nonsense to me. Either way, I enjoyed the novella, it was well done and an interesting take on the Yellow King mythos. It does feel flat and heartless at some points, and the plot twist endings was unappealing. I enjoyed the imagery of the Otherworld the most. I think I'd like it better if it was like a never ending curse of a 'Camilla' haunting through the ages, trying to complete her ritual via unwitting victims in order to return to Carcosa. Not to purely play off the 27 Club myth, but it could be through various arts like theatre and movies, too. Idk, I feel it could have given more depth to it's horror if it went beyond 'evil female bitch groupie'. Not unlike Silent Hill and them repeatedly trying to give birth to their god.
Minor spoilery content warning. Hey there's male sexual assault in the second chapter. It's a few paragraphs long, and can be skipped over straight to the next chapter. I feel remiss not to mention it because it's pretty explicit he doesn't want physical sexual contact and she does not care about him telling her to stop. That scene or subject does not come up again after that.

quote:

TAKE OFF YOUR MASK

Thirty years ago, a progressive rock band called The Yellow Kings began recording what would become their first and final album. Titled "The Final Reconciliation," the album was expected to usher in a new renaissance of heavy metal, but it was shelved following a tragic concert that left all but one dead.

The sole survivor of that horrific incident was the band's lead guitarist, Aidan Cross, who's kept silent about the circumstances leading up to that ill-fated performance--until now.

For the first time since the tragedy, Aidan has granted an exclusive interview to finally put rumors to rest and address a question that has haunted the music industry for decades: What happened to The Yellow Kings?

The answer will terrify you.

Inspired by The King in Yellow mythos first established by Robert W. Chambers, and reminiscent of cosmic horror by H. P. Lovecraft, Laird Barron, and John Langan, comes The Final Reconciliation--a chilling tale of regret, the occult, and heavy metal by Todd Keisling.

Proudly brought to you by Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths

In the Court of the Yellow King edited by Glynn Owen Barass. A crap shoot, like many anthologies, but I liked Masque of the red queen' and 'the penumbra of exquisite foulness'. It least every story is focused on the theme and not random horror stories with a bare mention of the color yellow. Here's the table of contents.

quote:

These Harpies of Carcosa — W. H. Pugmire
The Viking in Yellow — Christine Morgan
Who Killed the King of Rock and Roll? — Edward Morris
Masque of the Queen — Stephen Mark Rainey
The Girl with the Star-Stained Soul — Lucy A. Snyder
The Penumbra of Exquisite Foulness — Tim Curran
Yield — C. J. Henderson
Homeopathy — Greg Stolze
Bedlam in Yellow — William Meikle
A Jaundiced Light at the End — Brian M. Sammons
The Yellow Film — Gary McMahon
Lights Fade — Laurel Halbany
Future Imperfect — Glynn Owen Barrass
The Mask of the Yellow Death — Robert M. Price
The Sepia Prints — Pete Rawlik
Nigredo — Cody Goodfellow
MonoChrome — T. E. Grau

Unrelated to the Yellow King, two other recs.

The story 'Snow Woman' from 'Biogenesis' short story collection by Tatsuaki Ishiguro. If you like vampires and folk lore, you might like this take on this Japanese folk tale. The other stories are also great, but they are scifi / speculative fiction.

Though the story Midwinter Weed is kind of Horror genre in being pretty creepy with blood devouring ghost flowers, though I think it's more a metaphor for how Korean PoW were forced laborors / slaves during WW2 I'm not sure, I think I need to reread that one more slowly. The vampiric parts were certainly horrifying to me. Metaphors all over the drat place, frankly.

Major spoilery disclaimer for Snow Maiden. There's implied incest and racism, specifically against the Ainu people of Japan. I don't know the author's family history, but but I feel like it's in poor taste to imply some of the Ainu are inhuman monsters.

Where They Wait by Scott Carson This wasn't half bad. It was certainly more scifi suspense mystery than purely scifi horror, I feel. The premise sounds goofy but I swear it's taken sincerely and has a little more depth than 'oh gently caress my phones got a haunted app, help meh XD'. Though I won't lie, [major ending spoilers] the one adult able bodied woman dying at the end felt like the author didn't know how to close off her arc at all. Like oh poo poo, gently caress, uhhh the ending is literally the last few chapters. Um, kill everyone but the man MC. And his mom, I guess, but she's stuck in a nursing home and isn't really a Problem for the MC anyways, so.... I'm not saying it's misogyny per se, just that it read like the author wrote himself into a corner and the publisher was banging on the door for the finished story. It was stupid and took a few paragraphs. I think we were supposed to appreciate that happening? I thought there was enough remorse on the woman MC's part. She was also barely a child so she too was manipulated by a adult woman decades older to abuse a child with medical experiments. She hosed up, but she regreted it and had been trying to help the man MC the entire book. It was a poo poo ending to a character, imo.

quote:

A new supernatural novel about a sinister mindfulness app with fatal consequences from the New York Times bestselling author of the "grips from the first page" (Stephen King) thriller The Chill.

Recently laid-off from his newspaper and desperate for work, war correspondent Nick Bishop takes a humbling job: writing a profile of a new mindfulness app called Clarity. It's easy money, and a chance to return to his hometown for his first visit in years. The app itself seems like a retread of old ideas--relaxing white noise and guided meditations. But then there are the "Sleep Songs." A woman's hauntingly beautiful voice sings a ballad that is anything but soothing--it's disturbing, really, more of a warning than a relaxation--but it works. Deep, refreshing sleep follows.

So do nightmares. Vivid and chilling, they feature a dead woman who calls Nick by name and whispers guidance--or are they threats? And soon her voice follows him long after the song is done. As the effects of the nightmares begin to permeate his waking life, Nick makes a terrifying discovery: no one involved with Clarity has any interest in his article. Their interest is in him. Because while he might not have any memory of it, he's one of twenty people who have heard this sinister song before and the only one who is still alive.

An atmospheric and haunting thriller perfect for our times, Where They Wait proves that "horror has a new name and it's Scott Carson" (Michael Connelly, #1 New York Times bestselling author).

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

ClydeFrog posted:

Value-brand cereal I very much appreciate all these thoughtful reviews.

In fact this thread is full of helpful forum-users write-ups.

Still laughing about dick-bees.

You're welcome for the recs! I'm glad to share interesting things, because I got a lot of great recs from the thread too. Sorry this is a late reply, I meant to post some recs at the same time but hit a reading slump. But I did finish White Tears by Hari Kunzru and A God in the Shed by J F Dubeau . White Tears was wild.

Ok some disclaimers. This is Kunzru.

quote:

Hari Mohan Nath Kunzru (born 1969) is a British novelist and journalist, author of the novels The Impressionist, Transmission and My Revolutions. Of mixed English and Kashmiri Pandit ancestry, he grew up in Essex. He studied English at Wadham College, Oxford University, then gained an MA in Philosophy and Literature from Warwick University. His work has been translated into twenty languages. He lives in New York City.
via goodreads.

This the White Tears book.

quote:

From one of the most talented fiction writers at work today: two ambitious young musicians are drawn into the dark underworld of blues record collecting, haunted by the ghosts of a repressive past.

Two twenty-something New Yorkers. Seth is awkward and shy. Carter is glamorous and the heir to one of America's great fortunes. They have one thing in common: an obsession with music. Seth is desperate to reach for the future. Carter is slipping back into the past. When Seth accidentally records an unknown singer in a park, Carter sends it out over the Internet, claiming it's a long lost 1920s blues recording by a musician called Charlie Shaw. When an old collector contacts them to say that their fake record and their fake bluesman are actually real, the two young white men, accompanied by Carter's troubled sister Leonie, spiral down into the heart of the nation's darkness, encountering a suppressed history of greed, envy, revenge, and exploitation.

White Tears is a ghost story, a terrifying murder mystery, a timely meditation on race, and a love letter to all the forgotten geniuses of American music.

It's hard to say what I liked about the book. The book summary absolutely does not sell this book very well. It excludes the surreal portion near the end, which is a drat shame for those into stranger kind of fiction. It's very well written and I liked the gimmick the author gave Seth with the audio visualization that echoes through time. I wish that was used more. I also liked how Seth fully became the main character. It was a neat outside perspective of watching someone who is obviously a Main Character in a narrative. And then abruptly the sidekick became the main character. It sets up the way Seth keeps getting hosed over by social class throughout the book. He's definitely a flat character but I think that's intentional because Seth has no personality or existence outside of fetishizing Black culture.

The summary and first 2/3rds of the book were about what the summary mentioned. The last half? Oh boy. Major spoilers for this book and My Heart Struck Sorrow by John Hornor Jacobs . This touches on the intentional antiblackness of the White Tears characters, as well.

One of MC of My Heart Struck Sorrow undergoes a journey to find and meet the Black man's ghost who sang the song, but ultimately 'fails' in that he never finds the ghost but has a mental breakdown, then this is the opposite. Seth, the MC of White Tears, meets the Black man's ghost in a very intimate manner. Not a sex joke but not far off the mark either. It's deeply hosed up to me. I think it was a full circle of how Seth fetishized and wanted to embody being a Black man. To the point of either being possessed by a Black man's ghost or having a mental break down from police brutality to think he is a Black man getting revenge on rich white people.

The last half was a surreal haze which felt quite different from the beginning. It felt claustrophobic and frantic and desperate. Like antiblackness, this ghost curse cannot be bargained with. It's not an exact venn diagram, but it reminded me of the last half of Night Film by Marisha Pessl , how the Scott McGrath character wandered solo trying to find answers and keeps meeting the bizarrest poo poo. I think the supernatural portion of the haunting was quite interesting as well. The way it manifested differently in mutiple characters, and its results.

I only half hearted rec this book because, like other people mentioned in their own reviews, it's fairly tactless to center white characters in a story about Black people's pain and suffering, and it does carry tones of Magical N*gro. That this is written by a nonblack man makes it an issue. I do recommend this because the plot is unique, interesting, well written, and I enjoyed the paranormal concepts. It's obvious why but Black people's ghosts generally aren't a thing? I assume? Like I've picked up semi nonfiction historical ghost hauntings books and unless it's about Black slavery, most ghosts are white. A drat shame. I want to see glorious bloodshed and revenge from Black ghosts and Ghosts of color.

There is also a fair amount of explicit imagery of antiblack racism. I don't consider it romanticized levels of trauma porn but it doesn't shy away from the effects of Jim Crow and antiblack racism heavily embedded into us society. Like, there's not endless paragraphs and chapters about Black people being harmed gratuitiously. But I also understand that I don't have the right or personal experience to forgive and excuse this kind of content.

It's an interesting story, very well written and utilizes perhaps in a exploitive way antiblack racism in the horror genre. I'd like to see more of it. People mentioned this feels like the Get Out movie which I think is a poo poo comparison because that was a Black man exploring antiblack racism in the horror genre. There is one novella I can't remember the name of that fits this kind of horror genre. It's written by a Black man about a Black couple who find an aunt's magical machete(?) go on a murder rampage against police.

Final disclaimers / content warnings. There is rape, male on female and male on male, police brutality in a Black Site, and a lot of explicit anti black racism, especially near the end of the book . Themale rape and brutality might be able to be skipped over? The rape isn't fully explicit but the violence is. The antiblack racism at the end of the book can't be .

The other book I read and rec is A God in the Shed by J F Dubeau

Despite the medium levels of copaganda and frenchiness, it's an enjoyable murder mystery with heavy cult horror and supernatural horror. I like the rotating cast, the teen povs don't feel like a scooby doo stranger things knock offs. Also some minimal cave horror. I think the beginning if the book sets up too high expectations. There is a sequel to this called Song of the Sandman , though I feel you could read this solo if you didn't feel too invested. I kinda think like there's some generational abuse themes going but maybe it's not that deep? There's some child abuse but not over the top.

If you read Revelator by Daryl Gregory , this is sort of in the same field of vision. Not a duplicate or the same plots, per se, but does feature a cosmic entity and a cult built around it. And yes, there is a young girl involved.

PS if anyone knows of similar books or plots to White Tears or My Heart Struck Sorrow PLEASE post them. I love a good ghost story. Just gently caress me up with ghosties! tHank you god bless!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh god, Experimental Film is extremely good. If you're on the fence, go get it on sale now. Me and my insomnia return with a few recs.

A Certain Hunger - Chelsea G. Summers

quote:

Food critic Dorothy Daniels loves what she does. Discerning, meticulous, and very, very smart, Dorothy's clear mastery of the culinary arts make it likely that she could, on any given night, whip up a more inspired dish than any one of the chefs she writes about.

Dorothy loves sex as much as she loves food, and while she has struggled to find a long-term partner that can keep up with her, she makes the best of her single life, frequently traveling from Manhattan to Italy for a taste of both. But there is something within Dorothy that's different from everyone else, and having suppressed it long enough, she starts to embrace what makes Dorothy uniquely, terrifyingly herself.

Recounting her life from a seemingly idyllic farm-to-table childhood, the heights of her career, to the moment she plunges an ice pick into a man's neck on Fire Island, Dorothy Daniels show us what happens when a woman finally embraces her superiority.

A satire of early foodieism, a critique of how gender is defined, and a showcase of virtuoso storytelling, Chelsea G. Summers' A Certain Hunger introduces us to the food world's most charming psychopath and an exciting new voice in fiction.

It's heavy on the sexual content and the gore, but not in a erotica or splatterpunk way. It's quite lurid and very well written. It's not a Hannibal Lecter rip off either, despite the cannibalism and gourmet food theme. I loved the details about dishes and the descriptions of food made me salivate. Also the author is a former sex worker which is pretty neat, support your SWers and get a neat horror book about of it.

A minor disclaimer. Maybe antisemitic? The plot involves a Jewish man who's not as religiously faithful as he coulda woulda should be. I don't think it was a statement on all Jewish people but eh you know, fair warning. It does utilize the Jewish faith as a plot point, to say the least.
A last heads up for content warnings. There is a rape scene. It's not mentioned again after that but it is explicit.

Wylding Hall - Elizabeth Hand

quote:

When the young members of a British acid-folk band are compelled by their manager to record their unique music, they hole up at Wylding Hall, an ancient country house with dark secrets. There they create the album that will make their reputation, but at a terrifying cost: Julian Blake, the group’s lead singer, disappears within the mansion and is never seen or heard from again.

Now, years later, the surviving musicians, along with their friends and lovers—including a psychic, a photographer, and the band’s manager—meet with a young documentary filmmaker to tell their own versions of what happened that summer. But whose story is true? And what really happened to Julian Blake?

This was interesting but kind of a flop to me. I liked the plot, it was decently written, and the rotating POV kept things fresh. I just didn't care for how sparse the horror was. It was more focused interpersonal relationships and the aftermath. I liked the architecture horror and the folk horror. I wished there was more emphasis on the surreal occurrences, or that there was a POV from Julian Blake, the missing man. Maybe this will be more appealing to someone else.

Come Closer by Sara Gran

quote:

If everything in Amanda\'s life is so perfect, then why the mood swings, the obscene thoughts, the urge to harm the people she loves? What are those tapping sounds in the walls? And who\'s that woman following her? The mystery behind what\'s happening to Amanda in Come Closer is so frightening that it "ought to carry a warning to...readers."

An honorary mention. It was a neat possession story, at least. Not especially memorable but it was a decent read. Quite a hopeless situation, so it gets points for not being the same old The Exorcist adjacent possession plot.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

*stumbles into the thread in a daze* Hey y'all read Sundial by Catriona Ward. A lot of heavy themes like explicit domestic abuse, child abuse, animal cruelty / experimentation. If none of that is off putting, definitely dive in. It's REALLY good. She also wrote Rawblood if the name seems familiar.

quote:

Sundial is a new, twisty psychological horror novel from Catriona Ward, author of The Last House on Needless Street.

You can’t escape what’s in your blood…

All Rob wanted was a normal life. She almost got it, too: a husband, two kids, a nice house in the suburbs. Far from her childhood home, Sundial, hidden deep in the wild Mojave Desert.

But beneath the veneer, Rob is terrified for her oldest daughter, Callie, who collects tiny bones and whispers to imaginary friends. Rob sees a darkness in Callie, one that reminds her too much of the family she left behind.

Running from her past has led her directly back to it — what’s buried at Sundial could never stay a secret forever, and Rob must risk one last trip out there to protect her family, and her future.

Ok that's all for now thank you <3

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 7, 2022

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh poo poo you're right. Thank you, thats fixed now. And yeah thats true. I figured there's a few people whode prefer to go in as blind as possible to get the full plot unveiling in their own way. Im not sure what the general trend is for content warnings itt. It's not that the mere mention would be triggering, i guess.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

IIRC from the sci fi thread, they mentioned 9/11 broke Simmon's brain and he went off the rails, much like many other notable authors. Anyways. I don't read too much scifi but I think some of these may be horror / scifi blended enough to be intriguing?

Stranded by Bracken MacLeod
Arctic scifi horror. It reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode, the kind where Rod finishes it with going 'well wasn't that hosed up and unfortunate. Haha well good night folks!'

Constance by Matthew FitzSimmons
Kinda softcore scifi that's more like 'hey this is basically modern times albeit without covid and with some technological fuckery'. More mystery than horror, but there are some horror / paranormal aspects to it.

Salvation Day by Kali Wallace
A good ol plague on space ship novel.

Armageddon House by Michael Griffin
Still not sure what to make of this, but it was interesting enough. Imagine that bunker from LOST but something cosmic horror-y is going on. Or is it?! Dun dun dun.

The Breach by M. T. Hill
Parasite horror, if the cover doesn't clue you in. More modern day sci fi rather than 30XX years into the future.

Frozen Hell by John W. Campbell Jr.
The original manuscript for the The Thing movie. If you watched the movie it may be boring to you. I thought the novel had enough variation and wasn't a one to one adaption, to keep my interest in it.

Oh! And while it's not scifi, Dark Matter by Michelle Paver is some historical arctic horror.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

re T. Kingfisher's The Hollow Places?

The antisemitism and author's hardon for fanfic poo poo turned me off to it. Like... look at this.

quote:

"And they’re right there reading it, so they’re practically accomplices, unless they’re one of those people who decide to leave comments telling you that shipping those two characters makes you worse than Hitler. "

No that's not The Worst Thing Ever. But I don't want to come across antisemitic juvenile fandom poo poo in legit published works that aren't from the 'fanfics with the serial numbers scraped off' side of the publishing industry. That the character in this one and The Twisted One came across like a lolrandom immature 30yo fandom mom didn't help. The gay side character felt like a token one off, to me. Not that people like that don't exist in real life, it just felt like the MC needed a sidekick to bounce ideas off of, and we got a gay man for diversity points.

The mechanics of the otherworld and the inhabitants were kind of interesting. Not enough to forgive the rest of the book, though. It was almost Outer Limits levels of interesting and hosed up, but that was about it.

It also felt like a very shallow book. The author has stated that horror or media in general should have some comedy to alleviate tension. I may be misquoting / misremembering the context, but that sort of plot does not vibe with me. I was very confused to look this up and discover it was not intended for the YA genre. This read like it was a retelling of classic literature but with the yucky problematic parts carefully excised because the author can't handle difficult, morally grey or generally unpleasant topics. Like the christian bible turned into a manga, if you will. Or those fuckers who rewrote Shel Silversteins 'The Giving Tree' to have a happy ending. If I had to put it on a scale, this is the opposite of LaVelle's 'The Ballad of Black Tom' in terms of quality prose and literature retelling / reframing.

If you don't like one book, you will not like other books from this author. Most of their other works in YA / middle school, and she does not know how to write for an adult audience, much less one that doesn't have fandom brainrot.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks for this, I suspected that'd be the case but I was willing to at least do some research since The Twisted Ones felt very much like a first attempt at adult horror fic from an otherwise mostly YA writer. I was hoping that some experience and feedback might have elevated this one a bit but it sure doesn't sound like it did at all. Honestly I have so many horror books I want to read at this point I'm pretty okay with having a good reason to skip a few.

Oh yeah you're welcome! Sorry to poo poo on the book(s) or author if anyone does like them. They're not bad and I know they fill a niche as they have plenty of positive reviews, which I'm glad of. I just do not vibe with the stories.

I also read 'Last House on Needless Street ' after I read 'Sundial' by the same author and was also disappointed in terms of the story. Not bad, just underwhelming. Sundial also touched on mental health themes, but the plot which hosed up and intense enough to support them, for me. I appreciate the attempt at utilizing Dissociative Identity Disorder as a plot and portraying the child abuse that caused it in a fairly reasonably, not entirely ableist manner. I saw the plot twist straight away and had to check spoiler reviews to make sure it wasn't a hot mess of ableism. The only plot twist for me was the villain not being the villain, but simply a victim in the wrong place as usual. Which can certainly be chalked up to my own ableism and assuming the author is ableist as well.

So like. It's a decent horror story where the mentally ill character, for once, isn't the evil villain. I'm a singlet, meaning I don't have DID, so I'm not saying this is a great depiction of DID, that the author is totally absolved of any tactlessness. I guess I'm trying to say that I appreciate a realistic attempt at portraying mental illness in horror that isn't stale tropes, and humanizes the people who are unwell. Does this make it a great book? Not on its own.

The last book I read was a novella from Tade Thompson, called 'Gnaw'. It's part of a series called 'Five Stories High Books', by K.J. Parker, Tade Thompson, Robert Shearman, Jonathan Oliver, Sarah Lotz, Nina Allan. Each novella is written by a author so there's a neat showcase her.

quote:

Tara and Harry Newton have just bought the beautiful Irongrove Lodge, an ideal place to raise their children, Cory and Adrienne. But they are far from the first inhabitants of this house.

Bizarre written messages, unnatural infestations and phantoms noises are just the first fruits of the gnawing spiritual hunger that possesses the ancient building; and soon, Tara and Harry will find out that to buy a house and to own it are two very different things...

I liked the paranormal aspect and the multiple hauntings going on. The gore was pretty cool too, and I liked the mechanics of the supernatural aspect. It wasn't the typical christian / catholic exorcism shindig.

I also recommend The Murders of Molly Southbourne and The Survival of Molly Southbourne, both by Tade Thompson. They're more contemporary scifi than horror, but have a creepy doppelganger horror plot that has stuck in my head. I really want more doppelganger horror now. God Tade Thompson writes so well.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I just finished Winterset Hollow and it just feels like white people clumsily fumbling at colonization metaphors crossed with Narnia talking animals.

Well written, decently paced, but maybe there's some depth to it that I'm not getting. Oh oh the bad guys are actually multiple generations of a white colonizer family and the 'natives' [aka the magical talking animals] call the white colonizers 'buffalo' for some reason. Ok sure. Maybe this needs further rereads at a more careful pace to Get It, but for now I'm fine with leaving it at that. I do get the author is trying to say something here, though. I just can't sympathize with the main character that much either. Sorry about your childhood, bro. Idk, I feel like, personally, I'd feel more broken up if I learned that I came from a family of genocidal slavers. He sure murdered the hell of out his family's slaves, though. Great work, finishing the job. You could have gone home, do you feel like a hero yet? /reference to spec ops the line joke.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Kerro posted:

Yeah that was my main issue with it as well. It's well written and I really enjoyed the read, but the subtext made me really wonder what if any point the author was trying to make given how the novel plays out.

Sometimes authors just want a specific setting and it's not meant to be that deep. At least, not with that subject matter. I've thought about it a lil off an on and I don't think the Winterset Hollow author was really trying to say anything particular. Not like, oh say, Gemma Files with Experimental film and the history of social eugenics, esp. neurodivergence.

I think the author was trying to do something with generational trauma for the MC, but for me, everything else overshadowed that. If it was trying link the generational trauma between the magical animals and the MC, meh. I can't see it. We got more about the prison and torture that the enslaved magical animals endured than what the MC hinted he went through. I'm not comparing trauma or saying one is more valid than the other. But at the end of the book all I remembered was the prisons cells, the rabbit talking about his dead family taxidermied in a semi secret room, and the bear being unable to speak like the other animals because he was raised as a cub on the island as a slave. That kinda completely over shadows the vague poo poo MC inner monologued about from time to time.

I can appreciate the unique setting and premise. I like the genre of 'group goes to isolated location and die one by one because of a murderer within the group AND/OR someone in said location is hunting them like animals'. I think the book pulled all that off in a refreshingly different manner, and I was never bored with the action sequences.

It's like like Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand where you can see the concept, there's nothing 'wrong' per se with the novel. But there's potential there to explore deeper and go further. Regardless of the author's own race / ethnicity, even. Like, Hari Kunzru did a pretty great job as a nonblack british man of color in exploring antiblackness in US history! Craig Laurance Gidney explored dark fantasy / horror with A Spectral Hue! It can be done! Just not with this book.

I also felt uncomfortable at the indigenous slave animal metaphor because the enslaved rabbit was made to cut off his own leg and eaten. That is something that's happened to Black people who were enslaved in us history. I think that's a hosed up thing to include in the book in this specific context. I don't know if the author is familiar with slavery in us history but I'm far less interested in buying and reading whatever other works he publishes. The whole thing is a well written mess. I enjoyed it. I didn't like it. The duality of man.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm holding off on discussing the metaphor/themes of the book cause I'm only a tick over halfway through, but I think that repeatedly describing one of your antagonists as a "builder bear" was a bit of an own goal.

Am I the only one who chuckles every time that gets used?

No I loved it. The bear was my fave character, I was really rooting for him!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Outta curiosity, anyone have recs for horror audio books? I like lighthouse horror on youtube but I'm getting a lil tired of the repetitive stories.

I've started The Sound at the End by Kirsty Logan, which isn't horror afaik, it's mystery / thriller. But I really like the variety of voice actors and the characterization. It's no Dark Matter by Michelle Paver but I can pretend it's arctic horror / deep sea horror if I squint at the metaphors lol

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh right, I forgot podcasts exist. Thanks y'all, I'll give Knifepoint Horror and nosleep a shot. I'm not sure about diving into Magnus archives as that seems like a huge huge story to get invested in at the moment. You have to time it right in order to really let things seep into the brain folds. You know what I mean?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Another good podcast in that vein is I Am In Eskew, about a man trapped in a city that doesn't exist. It's technically one long narrative but every episode is its own disconnected short story until the halfway point or so, and even then there are standalone episodes that technically connect to the metaplot but stand alone just fine as little bits of city planning horror (they focus on events the narrator isn't seeing in places he's never been to so they never reference established details).

Big thank you to this, I'll pass it onto my BLAME! obsessed friend. They do love some weird architecture / city horror.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A Black and Endless Sky by Matthew Lyons

quote:

From the author of The Night Will Find Us comes a white-knuckled horror-thriller set across the American Southwest.
Road trips can be hell.
Siblings Jonah and Nell Talbot used to be inseparable, but ever since Jonah suddenly blew town twelve years ago, they couldn’t be more distant. Now, in the wake of Jonah’s divorce, they embark on a cross-country road trip back to their hometown of Albuquerque, hoping to mend their broken relationship along the way.

But when a strange accident befalls Nell at an abandoned industrial site somewhere in the Nevada desert, she begins experiencing ghastly visions and exhibiting terrifying, otherworldly symptoms. As their journey through the desolate American Southwest reveals the grotesque change happening within his sister, one thing becomes clear to Jonah: It’s not only Nell in there anymore.

Pursued by a mysterious stranger who knows far more about Nell’s worsening condition than they let on, the siblings race to find a way to help Nell and escape the desert before they’re met with a violent, bloody end. But there are far worse things lurking in the desert ahead… some of them just beneath the skin.
I liked the tension and uncommon [to me] type of religious possession. Demonic possession? It's not entirely clear, though I assume there's some middle eastern / very old flavor of christianity involved. Think Pazuzu from the The Exorcist movie series. I also liked that there was a unexpanded upon subculture of generational demon hunters. That's cool. I didn't care for his other book but I did enjoy this one a lot. Who knew hole could be so dangerous? This is why we need OSHA.

Sundial by Catriona Ward

quote:

You can’t escape what’s in your blood…
All Rob wanted was a normal life. She almost got it, too: a husband, two kids, a nice house in the suburbs. But Rob fears for her oldest daughter, Callie, who collects tiny bones and whispers to imaginary friends. Rob sees a darkness in Callie, one that reminds her too much of the family she left behind. She decides to take Callie back to her childhood home, to Sundial, deep in the Mojave Desert.

And there she will have to make a terrible choice. Callie is worried about her mother. Rob has begun to look at her strangely, and speaks of past secrets. And Callie fears that only one of them will leave Sundial alive…The mother and daughter embark on a dark, desert journey to the past in the hopes of redeeming their future.
Not purely horror but definitely a thriller and full of hosed up psychological suspense. It's kind of like Riley Sager in that oh there MIGHT be paranormal or supernatural poo poo going on, read to find out!, you know?

A Certain Hunger by Chelsea G. Summers

quote:

Food critic Dorothy Daniels loves what she does. Discerning, meticulous, and very, very smart, Dorothy's clear mastery of the culinary arts make it likely that she could, on any given night, whip up a more inspired dish than any one of the chefs she writes about. Dorothy loves sex as much as she loves food, and while she has struggled to find a long-term partner that can keep up with her, she makes the best of her single life, frequently traveling from Manhattan to Italy for a taste of both.

But there is something within Dorothy that's different from everyone else, and having suppressed it long enough, she starts to embrace what makes Dorothy uniquely, terrifyingly herself. Recounting her life from a seemingly idyllic farm-to-table childhood, the heights of her career, to the moment she plunges an ice pick into a man's neck on Fire Island, Dorothy Daniels show us what happens when a woman finally embraces her superiority.

A satire of early foodieism, a critique of how gender is defined, and a showcase of virtuoso storytelling, Chelsea G. Summers' A Certain Hunger introduces us to the food world's most charming psychopath and an exciting new voice in fiction.
not horror per se either, there's no supernatural or paranormal. But if you liked hannibal lecter or cannibals murdering through modern society, you may like this one. The descriptions of food are very lush. Not to be a huge freak but it did make me hungry while reading it.

A God in the Shed by J F Dubeau

quote:

-Move over True Detective. A rich, gothic story of murder and mystery, A God in The Shed is quite possibly one of the most enthralling novels I've read in the last ten years. Dubeau is a force to be reckoned with.- --Jerry Smith, Fangoria Magazine and Blumhouse.com
The village of Saint-Ferdinand has all the trappings of a quiet life: farmhouses stretching from one main street, a small police precinct, a few diners and cafes, and a grocery store. Though if an out-of-towner stopped in, they would notice one unusual thing--a cemetery far too large and much too full for such a small town, lined with the victims of the Saint-Ferdinand Killer, who has eluded police for nearly two decades. It's not until after Inspector Stephen Crowley finally catches the killer that the town discovers even darker forces are at play.
When a dark spirit reveals itself to Venus McKenzie, one of Saint-Ferdinand's teenage residents, she learns that this creature's power has a long history with her town--and that the serial murders merely scratch the surface of a past burdened by evil secrets. (less)
First in a series. Duology, I think? I've only read this book and not the sequel. I liked the supernatural aspect and the folk horror. I wish the rest of the book was more like the beginning. It's kind of 'small town secrets and sins involving arcane rituals that are coming to a violent, blood conclusion'. It's more a gothic horror than high tension horror. Definitely creepy. I think it could be read as a standalone, but what I read of the sequel was pretty good. I should really finish it.

White Tears by Hari Kunzru

quote:

Ghost story, murder mystery, love letter to American music--White Tears is all of this and more, a thrilling investigation of race and appropriation in society today. Seth is a shy, awkward twentysomething. Carter is more glamorous, the heir to a great American fortune. But they share an obsession with music--especially the blues. One day, Seth discovers that he's accidentally recorded an unknown blues singer in a park.

Carter puts the file online, claiming it's a 1920s recording by a made-up musician named Charlie Shaw. But when a music collector tells them that their recording is genuine--that there really was a singer named Charlie Shaw--the two white boys, along with Carter's sister, find themselves in over their heads, delving deeper and deeper into America's dark, vengeful heart. White Tears is a literary thriller and a meditation on art--who owns it, who can consume it, and who profits from it.
If you liked Lushing Seething hell for its local, race based folk horror, you might like this. The constant uncertainty of the MC's and Shaws fate was really tense for me.

House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill

quote:

Catherine's last job ended badly. Corporate bullying at a top TV network saw her fired and forced to leave London, but she was determined to get her life back. A new job and a few therapists later, things look much brighter. Especially when a challenging new project presents itself -- to catalogue the late M. H. Mason's wildly eccentric cache of antique dolls and puppets. Rarest of all, she'll get to examine his elaborate displays of posed, costumed and preserved animals, depicting bloody scenes from the Great War. Catherine can't believe her luck when Mason's elderly niece invites her to stay at Red House itself, where she maintains the collection until his niece exposes her to the dark message behind her uncle's "Art." Catherine tries to concentrate on the job, but Mason's damaged visions begin to raise dark shadows from her own past. Shadows she'd hoped therapy had finally erased. Soon the barriers between reality, sanity and memory start to merge and some truths seem too terrible to be real... in The House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill.
I have conflicting thoughts about this. Incredibly well written, creepy as gently caress, bizarre in a 80s b movie way at times, the haunted house is not haunted but its occupants haunt it so it's basically haunted, loud question marks?? This book made me afraid to walk through my apartment alone in the dark at night, again. But on the other hand, disabilities and disfigurements used as a plot device in the horror genre is um. Difficult to do and often pretty cruel to disabled people. So there is that.

Hopefully one of these books is new and interesting for you. I haven't read anything new that really stuck with me. Jennifer McMahon's newest book ' The Children on the Hill ' looks interest, no clue if it's horror or literary suspense.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Matt Wesolowski's series 'Six Stories' is a faux podcast covering a single fictional crime that have a horror element to it. It's a little True Crime flavored but not obnoxiously so. It's mainly one person, 'Scott King', investigating and interviewing various people related to each incident. The first book is called 'Six Stories' but so far there is six novels in the series. I think Changeling is my favorite of the series, for the forest horror portion. It hits the sensation of vulnerability quite well.

There's also Rules for Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall which does have a variety of media transcripts, like video transcripts, interviews, photo descriptions, etc. Though it also features in universe occurrences, so it's not entirely a post incident recounting. However it's Young Adult genre and features teenagers as the main cast. It's no The Fisherman by John Langan, but can scratch an itch if you don't mind tolerating the fact that you're not the intended audience.

By the way, Knifepoint horror is great, big thanks for the rec. I'm slowly listening through the whole archive, and so far I love 'Occupiers'. What a great story, really nicely put together.

Spoilers for Occupiers by Knifepoint Horror.

The grey horse being the Pale Horse that Death rides from the christian bible was a lil on the nose but I do love the ensuing symbolism. And the arrow stabbed into the horse's left flank, sinister side, and not quite hobbling it. A physical, constant reminder of interior and exterior trauma caused by the way, by other humans. drat.

How Mephra(sp?) is so terrified of death that he eventually becomes it, literally bound to the grey/pale horse as an avatar of Death itself, unable to escape or break away from the trauma war has done to him.

I also love the ending! I didn't expect that. By choosing to not continue being a soldier, or to fire his weapon, by waiting and watching and in some way also choosing mercy like the young blonde woman did, he survives. He survives in some way, and is able to return to society. I mean, that's the way I heard it.

I also like the alchemical symbolisms, I think?? The square the horse draws around must be a house, and of all if them present during that only the young blonde woman and the mc soldier returns to said 'house'. Also is gold / blonde the alchemical opposite of silver / grey? I'm not sure. This might be a reach But there's that too. ALSO the religious symbolism, wow.

A drat neat story.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I told you, hoss. Knifepoint owns.

Tell me when you get to "fields".

It sure as poo poo does. I'm marked down for scared and excited for Fields. I'm working my way back chronologically lest I miss one, and I'm only on 'Excursion'. What the hell.

ravenkult posted:

Knifepoint Horror is interesting also because I feel like these stories would absolutely not work in text form (and afaik before the podcast some of them were self published to little acclaim) but are fantastic as audio.

Absolutely agreed. A lot of times when I check out a podcast I think eh, I'd rather just read the transcript. Nothing against most voice actors or casual podcasters, but I prefer my 'head voice' over listening to other voices. The voice actors, Soren Narnia et al, do a wonderful job making it feel completely natural and not like they're reading a script out loud to their iphone.

Untrustable posted:

I checked this out, and the first three novels are currently available in one collection on Kindle for 99 cents. Picked it up.

Nice!! I hope you enjoy it!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh hey, new Ellen Datlow anthology? It's called Screams from the Dark and it features thread favorites Nathan Ballingrud, John Langan, and Laird Barron. Here's the full table of contents. I just picked it up, but I'm very excited for Mr Stephen Graham Jones and Ms Priya Sharma. I remember quite enjoying Sharma's Ormeshadow, though that was a few years ago. Going by the copyright, it looks like all new stories? I'm not personally sure, but it looks like a great selection.

quote:

You Have What I Need by Ian Rogers
The Midway by Fran Wilde
Wet Red Grin by Gemma Files
The Virgin Jimmy Peck by Daryl Gregory
The Ghost of a Flea by Priya Sharma
The Atrocity Exhibitionists by Brian Hodge
“The Father of Modern Gynecology”: J. Marion Syms, M.D. (1813–1883) by Joyce Carol Oates
Here Comes Your Man by Indrapramit Das
Siolaigh by Siobhan Carroll
What Is Love But the Quiet Moments After Dinner? by Richard Kadrey
The Island by Norman Partridge
Flaming Teeth by Garry Kilworth
Strandling by Caitlín R. Kiernan
The Special One by Chịkọdịlị Emelụmadụ
Devil by Glen Hirshberg
Crick Crack Rattle Tap by A. C. Wise
Children of the Night by Stephen Graham Jones
The Smell of Waiting by Kaaron Warren
Now Voyager by Livia Llewellyn
The Last Drop by Carole Johnstone
Three Mothers Mountain by Nathan Ballingrud
Widow-Light by Margo Lanagan
Sweet Potato by Joe R. Lansdale
Knock, Knock by Brian Evenson
What Is Meat with No God? by Cassandra Khaw
Bitten by Himself by Laird Barron
Burial by Kristi DeMeester
Beautiful Dreamer by Jeffrey Ford
Blodsuger by John Langan

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh thank god someone else didn't like that book either. I got to the part where the main woman protagonist was kidnapped and they tossed her off a boat. I had to quit, I just didn't care any more. I don't know why that was the last straw.

The thing that irritated me was how many different people kept dying, constantly. . I know horror plots need people to die in order to set up the Bad Guys or Monsters that are the murderous horror part that the eventual protagonists will encounter. That's fine. It's fine. But god, we get introduced to a couple new people, they die. We get introduced to more people, they die too! Which ones will last more than a chapter? Who the gently caress knows, it's like throwing gerbils into a huge metal fan. I don't know, I wish I liked it. Maybe I don't like large casts in books.

Edit Forgot to add, yes. Nevill is terrified of old people. Have you read House of Small Shadows yet? Absolutely fantastic, far better than even Last Days imo. But it's some odd horror genre phobia of disabled people and their disabled bodies which is an entire discussion on its own. I extremely loved the house which was haunted by strange people to the point of palpable decay. Kinda gave me some 80s italian horror at times.

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 21, 2022

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh yeah that's understandable. He's quite long winded at times. After dropping The Reddening I started on reading my endless pile of non fiction books lol You gotta cleanse the palette, once in a while, reset the brain folds.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Disclaimer! I have not read all of these. These I collected over the years that I've thought or was mentioned to be folk horror in the product descriptions at the time. But hopefully something here will click as something interestingly folk horror enough to read. No summaries because it might be too drat long.

'Hekla's Children' and 'Bone Harvest' by James Brogden
These books are completely unrelated btw. Hekla's Children is more... soft scifi / semi historical / thriller? It definitely features supernatural but I'm not sure if it's fully counts as folk horror. Definitely pagan horror, maybe? Still mentioning it because I loved it enough to keep an eye out for future books from this author.
It's been a while since I read it but the summary for Bone Harvest is a lil misleading. There's fair bit of lead up TO the whole 'old nosey woman gets concerned about the mysterious strangers who moved into the neighborhood' section. It dragged a bit for my tastes but not as badly as a Adam Nevill book. I still enjoyed it and would read future books by Brogden.

The Book Of Witness Thirteen Peculiar Tales from Canyon County by Erick Mertz
Anthology of short stories by a single author. Paranormal / location horror.

Ceremonies by T. E. D. Klein
location horror / cosmic horror? / cult horror??

Devil’s Day by Andrew Michael Hurley
gothic / religious [catholic] horror? Definitely more suspense and can be a bit dry.

The Fiends in the Furrows edited by David Neal & Christine Scott
Anthology of various authors.
I might've posted about this before? I liked S.T. Gibson's and Romey Petite's stories the most. 'Back Along The Tracks' was racist as all hell thought. Whoa there lovecraft jr!

Folk Horror by Adam Scovell
Non-Fiction, if that scratches an itch.

Halloween Fiend by C. V. Hunt
holiday horror [lol] / location horror
I read this last year and it was pretty fun. Ok. So folk horror tends to be about obscure, largely unknown cults. Just humor me for this short story, and pretend Halloween is actually the modern word for some 'anciente aynd wycked' term for an evil monster. Kinda hits well known tropes but hey, sometimes you don't want a oscar grammy etc nominated film, you want a cheesy b movie you see on daytime tv.

Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon
location horror

The Lighthouse Witches by C. J. Cooke
changeling horror / supernatural

Little Sister Death by William Gay
folk horror / historical? not sure / supernatural
I still need to finish this... I distinctly remember enjoying it enough to check it out of the library twice in hopes of actually finishing it. It wasn't bad, just not what my brain wanted at that moment.

The Queen of the High Fields by Rhiannon A Grist
religious or cult horror / location horror.
I haven't read this but the summary seems in the same genre or flavor as The Ritual.

The Smoke Child by Soren Narnia of Knifepoint Horror
location horror
OK so it's a short story only(?) available on a podcast. But if you have the time and ears, it's drat good.

A God in the Shed and the sequel Song of the Sandman by J F Dubeau
cult horror / suspense
I read only the first book and enjoyed it, though it's more of a copaganda mystery thriller featuring an on screen cult monster. The sequel, I think, features more of the cult. I have yet to finish reading it myself.

Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman
supernatural
I hesitate to read this because the author is white and I don't know if I want to read about slave(?) ghost horror set on a plantation. One day I'll crack it open. I hear it's good, I hear it's decent supernatural horror. Anyone read this? Is it cheesy slave ghosts haunting white people? Man, I thought they'd have better things to do, if so.

Water Shall Refuse Them by Lucie Mcknight Hardy
I only half remember this, as it's been a long time since I finished it. I liked the toxic family relationship premise. Not incest or anything, just chronic neglect of each other due to grief. I thought that was a neat concept instead of the usual 'cheek independent heroine seeks out fun and encounters danger, oh no!'. It sort of feels like the supernatural adjacent to the book The Other by Thomas Tryon? I can't remember specifics but the summaries feel like in the same venn diagram circles.

If any of these aren't actually folk horror, big sorry, and I would love the correction for my calibre tagging system :)

Obligatory mention for fitting the theme, though they've been mentioned many times already.
The Fisherman by John Langan
Experimental Film by Gemma Files
Night Film by Marisha Pessl
Last Days Adam Nevill
A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror by John Hornor Jacobs
Revelator by Daryl Gregory
Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Excellent! Thank you for the list, I've read a few of those but there's a bunch I haven't heard of so I'll check them out.

Since I mentioned it and it was in your list, I will say that The Ceremonies by TED Klein is an interesting book and perfectly solid, but it's (I believe) an expansion of his short story The Events at Poroth Farm and... I'm gonna be honest, I think the short story is much better. The Ceremonies is great if you want a certain kind of 1970's folk/cult horror that's mostly interested in taking its time and feeling "real" (think early Stephen King, "wow he mentioned Coke by name" kind of popular fiction phenomena in the 70s). But The Events at Poroth Farm is kind of great in how well it distills the general ideas of the book into a tight, well-written package. Also for a long time The Ceremonies was kind of a pain to find because it was out of print for decades, but I think there's a new printing (with an ugly cover), or was last time I checked.

You're welcome! I didn't know The Ceremonies was a extended version! I'll have to see about tracking down the first version. That sounds a little more interesting, and I can appreciate the tighter editing.

Also, alas, I must withdraw the suggestion of Water Shall Refuse Them by Lucie Mcknight Hardy for folk horror. According to a friend who read it, it's not really folk horror. There's some weird religion stuff but it's more literary with a hint of horror. Welp. I'll still read it, eventually.

anilEhilated posted:

Not really, it's a (central horror element spoilers) werewolf story. The topic of slavery is addressed but IIRC it isn't too egregious.

zoux posted:

I mean the main antagonists are slaves turned into werewolves by their evil werewolf slaveowner. That doesn't really get revealed to the end but "slave ghosts" isn't too far off. But it's also set in the 1920s and the slave stuff is kind of a twist you find out about at the end. It's a good book though, mostly about a WWI veteran slowly going mad because of a combination of PTSD and the hosed up secret horrors going on in the town.

Hm. I see. I'll give it a go then. If the prose hooks me, so be it. I do love people slowly going insane! That is why I stuck through Nevill's House of Small Shadows and Evenson's Last Days.

BTW for those who have read The Fisherman by John Langan, the short story Blodsuger by John Langan from Screams from the Dark anthology by Ellen Datlow is sort of.... Not in the same canon or universe, per se, but it has similar tones. It's about a man whose 10 yo son is interested in fishing and at a party they meet a fellow fisherwoman. The son mentions he wants to go ice fishing some day, to which the fisherwoman has a tactful but fearful response to that, which she explains privately in a story to the father. It's not as in depth [ha!] as the Fisherman novel, but I really enjoyed it. Just a lil heads up for those who finished it and want desserts. A hosed up fishy dessert. The aspic kind, except it's in a bundt cake shape and it's decorated like an eel's mouth.

Honestly the whole anthology is pretty great, and I only hated Cassandra Khaw's story and maybe Margo Lanagan's. Khaw's story just felt like a fullmetal alchemist fanfic but in a bad way. Like oh, you wrote this story after reading cliff notes for that other media, huh?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Most of Langan's stuff is actually in some weird semi-canon of Upstate New York gribbly ookily-spookily stuff. Like he obviously gives precisely zero shits about making it consistent, but there are overlaps between stories, allusions between them, and they all (pretty much) have the same rough setting of the Mid-Hudson Valley with the serial numbers filed off. Like there are references to the events of Fisherman scattered around in other stories and the house from House of Windows still exists in New PaltzHuguenot and there are various lizard people running around in the background of other parts of Children of the Fang.

I haven't gone full creepy red-string-corkboard about it cause why would I, but if you keep that stuff in the back of your head it's pretty consistent. Like he's incredibly faithful to local geography, to the point where I know where stuff is down to specific streets.

IS IT?! I had no idea. I'll keep that in mind when I finally tackle Wide Carnivorous Sky, thank you. I think that's really cool of Langan to be able to keep it that consistent. I like the idea of a bermuda triangle esque localization of hosed up things brought over by, or caused by, colonization.

Speaking of? I just remembered that The End of the Sentence by Maria Dahvana Headley & Kat Howard might qualify for a bit of folk horror. It's more folklore horror, I'd say. But it was a good read and it didn't feel like another lousy fairy tale retreading. I wish they went more into the 'we brought these folk lore horrors with us to the new land' concept. The idea that you cannot escape your history and have created more horrors in your new paradise is pretty fun to me. Doomed from the start!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I had to look that up and...

Yeah that's a guy who writes about alternate history dracula conquering Freedonia. I vaguely remember reading a book preview and the tone felt obnoxiously twee and smarmy to me. You know how modern writers take Sherlock Holmes and make him into a BBC Sherlock lite character? Kind of like that. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for that, at the time.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

I just read Matt Wesolowski's Six Stories, and the first 5/6 of the book is just an exceptional slow burn horror, in that indeterminate kind of way that Paul Tremblay uses in Head Full of Ghosts or Devil's Rock, and then then final act just ruins the whole thing, even making the earlier sections retroactively worse. Spoilered complaints:

The book turns from the (honestly just wonderful) slow burn horror into a lovely crime thriller, complete with a psycho-killing hallucinating antogonist who's also some kind of super criminal mastermind, and the book nearly turns into airport dadfiction. All the earlier themes (the complexities of bullying, teenage search for identity and acceptance) that are handled so intelligently just go away in service of this crazy (generically crazy, too) teenage murder genius. It's done in such a hackneyed Keyser Soze twist, too. Just argh.

It's such a frustrating read, and now I'm bummed that I bought the three volume set.

Hey that was me reccing that, and I apologize for not mentioning the... plot twist? The plot turn hard left into a different concept, if you will. I wasn't sure how to explain that without spoiling the endings of the series. All of the stories in this series are like that, to be honest. They lean heavily into the supernatural or paranormal or even local folktale horror, but near the end reign back into the realistic. The evil Black Geist sighting? That was actually someone disguising themself with a black sheet in order to sneak into the semi abandoned teen hang out tower to hide evidence of their murder weapon, for a non spoiler example that does not happen in any book. I liked this because it felt like an uncommon flavor of murder mystery, with enough horror to keep it interesting and questioning. I also felt it humanized the characters fairly well, something I appreciate seeing in crime and 'true crime-esque' flavored books. I think Wesolowski's Demon, the latest of the series, did that the best.

Since you did not vibe with it, I'd safely say you would not enjoy the rest of the series. I'm sorry it didn't click with you, it always sucks when that happens. Hopefully you're on to books you are enjoying!

[the goofy mask Scott King wears is pretty stupid, imo.]

Speaking of books... Hi do you like haunted houses, 1970s america, ambiguous ghost(s??) / hauntings, animal experiments, and epistolary story telling? You do? Great. Check out Smithy by Amanda Desiree, released in 2021.

quote:

In the tumultuous summer of 1974, in the shadowy rooms of a rundown mansion in Rhode Island, renowned psychologist Dr. Piers Preis-Herald brings together a group of seven collegiate researchers to study the inner lives of man’s closest relative―the primate. They set out to teach their subject, who would eventually be known to the world as Smithy, American Sign Language. But as the summer deepens and the history of the mansion manifests, the messages signed by their research subject become increasing spectral.

Nearly twenty-five years after the Smithy Project ended in tragedy at Trevor Hall, questions remain: Was Smithy a hoax? A clever mimic? A Rorschach projection of humanity’s greatest hopes and fears? Or was he indeed what devotees of metaphysics have claimed for so long: a link between our world and the next?

It's definitely a slow burn, taking about a good 3 hours to read for me. The 'chapters' are deceptively short, but long. I thought the interpersonal conflicts were pretty decent and not too contrived. It felt like a genuine butting if personalities, maturity, and levels of responsibility within the project. And it did not feel like it coalesced into a dollar store version of 'scooby and the gang' when things started to ramp up. The pacing was slow but i think its worked better than to rush it. Following along with the chimps actual aging from child to juvenile adult made the tension more realistic, like being able to look back at old scrapbooks and go oh wait, there was foreshadowing and NOW everything is clicking together. I really appreciated the pacing and how it doesn't lose the point of the book, trying to tackle too many plots all at once. Like, it gives enough info and hints on the hauntings without going fully switching plots and abandoning the first one.

There is a Jewish woman, but outside of a single blurb about going home for the winter holidays aka Hanukkah it doesnt play into the plot very much. I think it would've been cool to have a Jewish perspective on the haunting and not just a catholic one. And its not really catholic either, its generic white american secular upbringing. It's very much attempted non religious, logic based social norms as far as the micro society within the house goes. But they still recite the nicene creed and lords prayer at some point.

There's also a canon lesbian. But outside of using her sexuality to fend off the mild sexual abuser of a womanizing professor, Piers, it does not play into the story either. It honestly felt bad to read because using lesbianism as a get out of harassment card just... does not work in real life, especially with sexual abusers. One scene I remember from another book, kill club by wendy heard, does use that in a decent, realistic way but ultimately the lesbian still gets harassed and fetishized to her face.

I half wish that they went more into the haunting and its history. It was definitely more focused on the modern setting and how the ghost(s?) was affecting the current residents. It's not Wylding Hall levels of undeveloped potential, I'd say. I think it did shy away from engaging with too much paranormal plot, perhaps to its own detriment. It's solid but I, personally, wanted more paranormal. I also felt the same while reading Head Full of Ghosts so that might be a special Me issue. At times I was wondering if they'd follow through with the poltergeist foreshadowing and it would further ramp up in terms of tension and paranormal occurrences. I would say it's a mark of a good book that I'm left wanting more and wondering just what happened in that house. Outside of maybe two or three major scenes about the house's history, it's not brought up too much. I wouldn't know how to 'improve' the book further, so I'd say I'm happy with how it turned out.

The ending? I think I should mention this. If you read and enjoyed the ending to Paul Trembley's Head Full of Ghosts, you'd like this book. If you didn't, then enjoy the ride but expect a similar reaction to this book's ending. If this is too spoilery I can remove this.

Some disclaimers.
Animal abuse. No there is no gorey medical abuse or torture of any animals. Yes there is animal abuse in that

1) raising a undomesticated animal like a chimpanzee is unethical and harms them as an adult, assuming they ever 'return' to the wild. This is not touched upon and doesn't come to be in the story.

2) there is animal on animal abuse , consisting of the chimpanzee attacking the cat on screen to the point of broken bones. It's not overly gorey but it is explicit whats happening. I think you can skip those scenes, it's only a few paragraphs, if you really don't want to see that.

Do the animals live at the end?
Yes, all of them survive.

Do the animals attack the humans?
Yes. There are a few instances of the chimp attacking humans, and the worst of which was pretty graphic and gorey.

ALSO. There's no thrillers / mystery thread as far as I can see and it involves enough... softcore horror? that I'm slipping this in here.

Devil House by John Darnielle. Ok yeah so this is not really horror per se, more like Suspense / Crime Mystery / soft core true crime, I guess? Ok, so it is true crime propaganda in that it doesn't mention the harm it has done on society at large in a realistic manner. Not beyond lip service, in my opinion. I think it does touch upon how the people directly linked to the victim / murderer are treated. I think that was the best part of the book, in the last third where the fictional author is reading the letter from the murder victim's mother and what she went through and how she'll never 'escape' the grief. Holy gently caress the scream? The cave? It's not in the text but it reminds me of Orpheus and Eurydice, the imagery of the mother always in that pivotal moment of looking back with love, with grief. I don't cry much at books but that did make me tear up. Anyways. I can appreciate that it attempts to give a voice to people who aren't the 'omg evil scary spoopy murderer!'. Also the ending was absolutely not what I was expecting. I think it really went for the gut and the throat.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

You make some good points and I understand being disappointed in a book. But can you please spoiler the first paragraph because that does ruin the entire book for everyone who hasn't read it?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sooooooo. It's the end of the gregarious year. Anyone have some spotify esque top 10 hits to rec?

I got hit with a reading slump and all I've read in the last month is....

It Rides a Pale Horse - Andy Marino

quote:

From a new star in horror fiction comes a terrifying novel of obsession, greed, and the shocking actions we’ll take to protect those we love, all set in a small town filled with dark secrets.

The Larkin siblings are known around the small town of Wofford Falls. Both are artists, but Peter Larkin, Lark to his friends, is the hometown hero. The one who went to the big city and got famous, then came back and settled down. He’s the kind of guy who becomes fast friends with almost anyone. His sister Betsy on the other hand is more… eccentric. She keeps to herself.
When Lark goes to deliver one of his latest pieces to a fabulously rich buyer, it seems like a regular transaction. Even being met at the gate of the sprawling, secluded estate by an intimidating security guard seems normal. Until the guard plays him a live feed: Betsy being abducted in real time.
Lark is informed that she’s safe for now, but her well‑being is entirely in his hands. He's given a book. Do what the book says, and Betsy will go free.
It seems simple enough. But as Lark begins to read he realizes: the book might be demonic. Its writer may be unhinged. His sister's captors are almost certainly not what they seem. And his town and those within it are... changing.
And the only way out is through.

Supernatural and paranormal.
hosed up magic users.
hosed up magical book - not Necronomicon but in that [ha!] vein
Eldritch horror with a hint of folk horror, but not lovecraft. Think a la Experimental Film but with apocalyptic themes.
Small town locale.
Small rag tag team.
Otherworlds / unreality.
If you like the general concept of SCP foundation but on a much smaller scale, you might like the bad guys here. But they aren't containing anything so much as the opposite.
Good amount of gore but not splatterpunk levels. Body horror involved, too.
Art horror theme. It sort of reminds me of a few episodes from the podcast 'I Am In Eskew', specifically the art museum gallery one with the labyrinthine situation.

No Gods For Drowning by Hailey Piper.

quote:

IN THE BEGINNING, MAN WAS PREY. WITHOUT THE GODS, THEY'LL BE PREY AGAIN
The old gods have fled, and the monsters they had kept at bay for centuries now threaten to drown the city of Valentine, hunting mankind as in ancient times. In the midst of the chaos, a serial killer has begun ritually sacrificing victims, their bodies strewn throughout the city.
Lilac Antonis wants to stop the impending destruction of her city by summoning her mother, a blood god—even if she has to slit a few throats to do it. But evading her lover Arcadia and her friends means sneaking, lying, and even spilling the blood of people she loves.
Alex and Cecil of Ace Investigations have been tasked with hunting down the killer, but as they close in—not knowing they're hunting their close friend Lilac—the detectives realize the gods may not have left willingly.
As flooding drags this city of cars and neon screaming into the jaws of sea demons and Arcadia struggles to save the people as captain of the evacuation team, Lilac’s ritual killings at last bear fruit, only to reveal her as a small piece in a larger plan. The gods’ protection costs far more than anyone has ever known, and Alex and Cecil are running out of time to discover the true culprit behind the gods’ disappearance before an ancient divine murder plot destroys them all.
Set in an alternate reality which updates mythology to near-modern day, No Gods For Drowning is part dark fantasy, part noir detective story, and unlike anything you've read before, from an author whose imagination knows no boundaries.

Apocalypses and eldritch horror centered mystery. Yes there's cop characters but it's not copaganda imo. I liked the mystery and rotating cast.

The Witch In the Well by Camilla Bruce

quote:

The Witch in the Well is a dark Norwegian thriller from Camilla Bruce, author of You Let Me In.

When two former friends reunite after decades apart, their grudges, flawed ambitions, and shared obsession swirl into an all-too-real echo of a terrible town legend.

Centuries ago, beautiful young Ilsbeth Clark was accused of witchcraft after several children disappeared. Her acquittal did nothing to stop her fellow townsfolk from drowning her in the well where the missing children were last seen.
When author and social media influencer Elena returns to the summer paradise of her youth to get her family’s manor house ready to sell, the last thing she expected was connecting with—and feeling inspired to write about—Ilsbeth’s infamous spirit. The very historical figure that her ex-childhood friend, Cathy, has been diligently researching and writing about for years.
What begins as a fiercely competitive sense of ownership over Ilsbeth and her story soon turns both women’s worlds into something more haunted and dangerous than they could ever imagine.

Eh. Ehh. It was interesting enough that I'd rec it, but her other novel, You Let Me In, was far better. Read that if the concept of 'incest csa horror but fae themed and it's not the fae who are the main abusers' appeals to you. I know that book is still stuck in my head next to Experimental Film and Night Film.

Malice House by Megan Shepherd

quote:

Of all the things aspiring artist Haven Marbury expected to find while clearing out her late father’s remote seaside house, Bedtime Stories for Monsters was not on the list. This secret handwritten manuscript is disturbingly different from his Pulitzer-winning works: its interweaving short stories crawl with horrific monsters and enigmatic humans that exist somewhere between this world and the next. The stories unsettle but also entice Haven, practically compelling her to illustrate them while she stays in the house that her father warned her was haunted. Clearly just dementia whispering in his ear . . . right?
Reeling from a failed marriage, Haven hopes an illustrated Bedtime Stories can be the lucrative posthumous father-daughter collaboration she desperately needs to jump-start her art career. However, everyone in the nearby vacation town wants a piece of the manuscript: her father’s obsessive literary salon members, the Ink Drinkers; her mysterious yet charming neighbor, who has a tendency toward three a.m. bonfires; a young barista with a literary forgery business; and of course, whoever keeps trying to break into her house. But when a monstrous creature appears under Haven’s bed right as grisly deaths are reported in the nearby woods, she must race to uncover dark, otherworldly family secrets—completely rewriting everything she ever knew about herself in the process.

I'd compare this in the same but very VERY distanced venn diagram of Alan Wake. Only in the sense of fictional creations altering reality. I thought the mystery was great, the supernatural poo poo really did ramp up at the end.

Honorary recs that I liked but have no strong feelings about.
The Leviathan by Rosie Andrews
Historical gothic demonic possession with witch hunts and mild political social maneuvurign? Good poo poo.

The House of Footsteps by Mathew West <-I feel questionable about this because it has a predatory gay character and while it makes sense in a historical context it comes across as uhm. Odd. Especially considering the ending wherein MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS The male MC rejects the gay male character to enter a marriage with the ghost witch woman. Is this simple horror or a weird way of reinforcing cishet gender norms? Idk, I'm not going to think much on this. Sometimes it's not that deep. It did leave a weird feeling in my lil gay bones. The isolation, small town horror was neat.

Bonus. This is not horror at all but it was suspenseful and hosed me up enough to add it here. Because phew what the gently caress.
The Skeleton Key by Erin Kelly

Kestral posted:

Horror thread, I have a weirdly specific request: first-person epistolary horror with a reading level that isn't impenetrable for an inexperienced reader.

One of the teens I work with recently discovered Doki Doki Literature Club, and was telling me about how much they liked the short story hidden in that game, which is essentially the first-person confession letter of young sociopath describing the circumstances of her first murder. Since I'm always eager to get these kids to read, and they said they'd be interested in checking out other things that strike a similar chord, I'm looking for something that might work for them. The first-person epistolary format is the secret sauce here, and I also don't want to scare them off with prose that's going to make them run to the dictionary every paragraph. Honestly, even good creepypasta might fit the bill, and act as a gateway drug to more serious horror lit. Any suggestions?

This is so way late but. Maybe The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp? I remember that being comedic and not too hardcore.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

ClydeFrog posted:

My reading list has so much from this thread and the majority still come from your write ups value-brand cereal.

Thank you fellow forum posters for keeping me spooked throughout 2022

Oh you're welcome! I also get my recs from word of mouth so I'm glad to share the horror and joys!

My current attempt to get back into reading involves some recent releases.

A History of Fear by Luke Dumas. His work also showed up in some lgbt anthologies but I forget if it was horror related. All the same, the premise sounds interesting.

quote:

The Devil is in Scotland.

Grayson Hale, the most infamous murderer in Scotland, is better known by a different name: the Devil’s Advocate. The twenty-five-year-old American grad student rose to instant notoriety when he confessed to the slaughter of his classmate Liam Stewart, claiming the Devil made him do it.

When Hale is found hanged in his prison cell, officers uncover a handwritten manuscript that promises to answer the question that’s haunted the nation for years: was Hale a lunatic, or had he been telling the truth all along?

Unnervingly, Hale doesn’t fit the bill of a killer. The first-person narrative that centers this novel reveals an acerbic young atheist, newly enrolled at the University of Edinburgh to carry on the legacy of his recently deceased father. In need of cash, he takes a job ghostwriting a mysterious book for a dark stranger, but has misgivings when the project begins to reawaken his satanophobia, a rare condition that causes him to live in terror that the Devil is after him. As he struggles to disentangle fact from fear, Grayson’s world is turned upside-down after events force him to confront his growing suspicion that he’s working for the one he has feared all this time—and that the book is only the beginning of their partnership.​​

You Have Never Been Here by Mary Rickert aka M. Rickert

quote:

Open this book to any page and find yourself enspelled by these lush, alchemical stories. Faced with the uncanny and the impossible, Rickert's protagonists are as painfully, shockingly, complexly human as the readers who will encounter them. Mothers, daughters, witches, artists, strangers, winged babies, and others grapple with deception, loss, and moments of extraordinary joy.

The Transgressionists and Other Disquieting Works by Giorgio de Maria [anthology of short fiction] I loved Twenty Days of Turin so mcuh that it's stuck in my head. If you like weird fiction, give this a go.

quote:

Before an untimely mental breakdown cut short his two-decade career, Giorgio De Maria distinguished himself as one of Italy's most unique and eccentric weird fiction masters. With a background in the post-war literary culture of Turin -- Italy's urbane but eerie "city of black magic" -- De Maria drew inspiration from the Turinese underbelly of occultism, secret societies and radical politics. His writing coincided with the decade of terrorist violence known to Italians as the Years of Lead; the outcome was a weird fiction suffused with panic, rage, trauma, paranoia and meditations on antisocial hubris. In 1978, he told an interviewer: "...I think that the dimension of the fantastic, as much as this may seem paradoxical, is the most fitting one to express a reality as complex as ours today." 

De Maria's debut novel, The Transgressionists (1968) portrays a cell of malicious telepaths who meet in the cafés and jazz clubs of 1960s Turin to plot world domination. After experiencing the worst of their power, an embittered office clerk resolves to join them and prove himself worthy to share in their villainy. He cultivates twisted mindfulness techniques to awaken his inner sociopath. He fights off predatory phantoms that seem maddeningly drawn to him. He prepares for the dangerous "Great Leap" which will make him into a fully-fledged Transgressionist. But could his megalomania strain relations with his fiancee? Will he sacrifice love in his quest for omnipotence?

The other works in this volume are no less surreal and startling. The Secret Death of Joseph Dzhugashvili (1976) gives us a nightmarish fantasy Soviet Union, where a dissident poet finds himself trapped in a psychological experiment conducted by Stalin himself. In "The End of Everydayism," a group of futuristic artists begin using corpses as a medium -- with violent, unforeseen results. The antihero of "General Trebisonda" is a possibly insane commander who prepares for a war crime in an eerily deserted fortress. 

Available in English for the first time, this collection contains two novellas, two short stories and a dystopian teleplay, The Appeal, which the post-cyberpunk novelist Andrea Vaccaro has lauded as "worthy of the best episodes of Black Mirror." Meanwhile, an introduction by translator Ramon Glazov offers a detailed account of De Maria's background, creative context and thoroughly unusual life.

If my brain doesn't like words, I can always fall back on this very friendly picture book, goofy smile emoji,
The Devil's Atlas by Edward Brooke-Hitching [nonfiction]

quote:

The Devil’s Atlas is an illustrated guide to the heavens, hells and lands of the dead as imagined throughout history by cultures and religions around the world. Packed with colourful maps, paintings and captivating stories, the reader is taken on a compelling tour of the geography, history and supernatural populations of the afterworlds of cultures around the globe.

Whether it’s the thirteen heavens of the Aztecs, the Chinese Taoist netherworld of ‘hungry ghosts’, or the ‘Hell of the Flaming Rooster’ of Japanese Buddhist mythology (in which sinners are tormented by an enormous fire-breathing cockerel), The Devil’s Atlas gathers together a wonderful variety of beliefs and representations of life after death. These afterworlds are illustrated with an unprecedented collection of images, ranging from the marvellous ‘infernal cartography’ of the European Renaissance artists attempting to map the structured Hell described by Dante and the decorative Islamic depictions of Paradise to the various efforts to map the Garden of Eden and the spiritual vision paintings of nineteenth-century mediums.

The Devil’s Atlas accompanies beautiful images with a highly readable trove of surprising facts and narratives, from the more inventive torture methods awaiting sinners, to colourful eccentric catalogues of demons, angels and assorted death deities. A traveller’s guide to worlds unseen, The Devil’s Atlas is a fascinating study of the boundless capacity of human invention, a visual chronicle of man’s hopes, fears and fantasies of what lies beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Wanders back into the thread hi hey. A long while ago I posted about an anthology of epistolary-esque found horror called Journals of Horror: Found Fiction, edited by Todd Keisling. I found [ha!] another anthology, just published this year in october! Woo! I have no idea on the quality, or the plots. I'm hoping for Scanlines by Todd Keisling, but I'll settle for Wylding Hall.

*dangles it in the thread like catnip* someone kindly read this and report back, thanks in advance /jk

FOUND: An anthology of found footage horror stories by Cull, Andrew; Baxter, Alan; Cook, Georgia; Hepler, Jeremy; McGregor, Tim; Kolakowski, Nick; McLeod Chapman, Clay; Vincent, Bev; Wilkes, Ally ISBN 9780648731528 (ISBN10: 0648731529) <- I added the isbn because 'found' is a terrible name for an anthology or novel. Way too generic, way too hard to sift for. Nitpicking, I know.

quote:

Eighteen stories of found footage horror. Between April and August 2021 eighteen horror writers disappeared. Gathered together for the first time, these are the stories they were writing at the time of their disappearances.

Reader caution is advised. Advance readers of this anthology have reported nausea, feelings of anxiety, paranoia and hallucinations after reading the texts included.

Table of Contents
Two Months Too Long by Holly Rae Garcia
Face Down Death Volume VIII by Josh Rountree
Junk Pickup by Fred Fischer, IV
Disappearances at Coal Hill by Nick Kolakowski
The Veiled Lady by Angela Sylvaine
Spew of News by Clay McLeod Chapman
Ghost Town Adventures by Joe Butler
Regular Saint by Donna Lynch
Walls and Floors and Bricks and Stone by Georgia Cook
Summons by Ally Wilkes
Green Magnetic Tape by Tim McGregor
Accidents, of a Sort by Kurt Fawver
A Grave Issue by Bev Vincent
The Novak Roadhouse Massacre by Alan Baxter
This Video is Unavailable by Robert Levy
Dear Penny by Jeremy Hepler
The Pall by Aristo Couvaras
A Small Hand-Built House by Ali Seay

Sorry for the lousy summary but that's the best that's offered on websites... Effort.jpg, I agree. I personally added the table of contents, by the way. God, why are ebooks formatted so poorly? My version has all caps table of contents, then another non hyperlinked TOC after two different editor introduction essays.