Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

Has anyone mentioned Bartlett's The Stay-Awake Men? It's a fantastic collection, up there with Evenson's short story collections.

EDIT: Or Jeremy Robert Johnson's Entropy in Bloom?

I picked up The Stay-Awake Men and so far it's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Speaking of historical horror I just finished The Terror and I really liked it starting out and hoo boy does that book nosedive in the back half. Can't believe I just read all those pages to get "It was an Eskimo magic monster only barely controlled by these sacred people; but you, white Irishman, can learn our sacred ways by...having sex with a teenage Eskimo girl who can't speak. Also because you are a psychic.". Terrible.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I finished the TV version of The Terror and it nails the landing far better than the book.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess is probably one of the best books I've read in the last year. It's just so weird. Any of his other stuff worth checking out?

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

This looks cool but I don't see it in eBook form. Amazon has the paperback for like $30 which seems like a lot for 170 pages.

Weird. I bought it on Kindle for like 99 cents.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah I just checked. What the hell? I'm gonna email Tony Burgess.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I looked at The Only Good Indians on Amazon so many times that Amazon sent me a half off credit. I hear good things though.

I keep meaning to buy that one anthology that everyone suggests but it's always put to me in such a way that I think it would gently caress up my already distressed mind. North American Lake Monsters? Is that what it's called?

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I heard it's exceptionally good but touches on issues much deeper than "spooky scary monsters" and I don't wanna think that hard. I started The Only Good Indians, and the writing is weird. I'ma stick it out, but the writing is weird.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

leftist heap posted:

I just finished NOS4A2 and enjoyed it a lot. Picked up the show only to find that it's quite the departure from the book (even by TV adaptation standards) and the first episode isn't really doing much for me so far. Is it worth sticking with?

Really very good. I slumped out of the first episode as well, but picked it back up because my wife started watching it. It never becomes prestige television but is great for what it is. Also has the sense to end after wrapping up the book's storyline. You get two seasons; first and second halves of the book.

The Only Good Indians is ok once you get the writer's style down. I don't know if the writer is native, but drat he writes like he isn't.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Always pleasantly surprised when an author is using the slang because it's part of their culture.

Edit: Just finished it. It is very good. I understand the constant use of slang now. The story is told through the viewpoints of at least 6 individuals, and the constant slang was inner guilt about leaving the reservation. A way of being more indian. It's a very good book about being a good indian. I can't explain it, just...go read it.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 4, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Modern horror anthologies? Can't go wrong with Lost Films and Lost Signals, both edited by Max Booth III and Ellen Datlow.

Films is horror revolving around lost films, haunted tv shows, gruesome film festivals, etc.

Signals deals with audio horror. Both are excellent.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

ravenkult posted:

Ellen Datlow didn't edit those, Lori Michelle did with Max.

And good news, there's gonna be a 3rd, titled Lost Contact.

Oops. Datlow just seems to be everywhere. My bad. Yes, I submitted a story for Lost Contact.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I think Datlow has one that's similar, something about Hollywood and movies? It's called Final Cut.

Also her name is in my head because she's one of the first acknowledgements at the end of The Only Good Indians. She also edited that awful ocean-themed anthology, The Devil And The Deep.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I was only like 15 when I read World War Z but I remember it being cool. Just a neat book with an overarching narrative told through news stories and journal entries. I have Devolution on my Amazon Books wishlist and was hoping it was more of the same style. Maybe I should re-read WWZ to see if I still like his writing.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I'll await your thoughts. I bought North American Lake Monsters. I'm three stories in and this is just really bleak stuff. It's horror, all right.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I think Datlow has one that's similar, something about Hollywood and movies? It's called Final Cut.

I bought Final Cut earlier. It's like 4 bucks. Should get some entertainment out of it.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Finished The Deep by Nick Cutter. Pretty decent deep ocean horror. Anything involving deep ocean horror is cool though. Anyone have any recs? I think the only thing I have left in my "to read" pile is Night Of The Mannequins.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is that the one with the "fig men"? (Not a spoiler cause it's both obscure and like 20 pages in.)

I loved some of the stuff. Like the diary bit with the bees was amazing. Then there was a lot that made me go kind of "enh" but was still good enough to read. But the ending was just awful. If it had been a physical book rather than on a tablet I would have thrown it, that's how bad it was.

I don't know too much deep-sea ah we're in the Mariana Trench horror, but I stan The Fisherman and it's at least evocative of the horrors of the depths. Plus you can learn so much about Upstate New York!

Yeah it's got the fig men. I'm honestly sitting here and cannot remember the ending. I finished the book like a week or less ago. What the hell. I remember everything leading up to it. The dog dying, the soldier lady dying, his brother becoming part of the ambrosia, and then...ummm...it must have been a poo poo ending for my brain to just say "it was bad after that stuff, don't worry about it."

Edit: I went back and read the last chapter. Yeah that ending was poo poo.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 26, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I finished A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay last night and that book will gently caress you up.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Reaverbot posted:

The last 20 pages of that book felt like experiencing a car crash in slow motion, it was honestly amazing

Yeah I felt genuinely frightened and then like I just got my rear end kicked badly.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Traxis posted:

Check out Obscura by Joe Hart

Alright it was .99 cents so I'm cool with that. I'm spending too much on Kindle books. I bought some more Paul Tremblay and an Ellen Datlow anthology for my vacation to the mountains and I just ended up reading John Dies At The End and it's sequel. I should pick up the third one but drat my backlog now!

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Finished Growing Things by Paul Tremblay and God drat dude can write. It's all very grandiose but not like, in a lovely, forced way. It's not overwrought. All the stories are excellent except the dog walkers one, that one got a bit self-indulgent. I guess I'll start on Obscura.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I think Joe Hill's novels (with the exception of NOS4A2) are poo poo, but his shorter stuff usually shines. If you have Amazon Prime, his collection of 4 novellas, Strange Weather is free to read right now. I thought all 4 were solid. I guess I'll move on to Obscura or something. I keep putting that book off for some reason.

Also, I've read a lot of Paul Tremblay and I'm wondering if I should read Survivor Song or Cabin At The End Of The World next. Recently finished Disappearance at Devil's Rock and drat that book gets heavy. Head Full of Ghosts definitely #1 Tremblay for me, but I really liked the stories in Growing Things as well.

Edit: Anyone have thoughts on Adam Cesare? I've never read them but Clown in a Cornfield is a helluva title. It's a top seller in teen and young adult country life books though...so is it YA garbage or actually good?

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 10, 2021

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Hi thread I would like a suggestion. In the last year this is the horror I've read:

Obscura - Joe Hart
Life Expectancy - Dean Koontz
Disappearance At Devil's Rock - Paul Tremblay
Growing Things - Paul Tremblay
John Dies At The End - David Wong
North American Lake Monsters - Nathan Ballingrud
A Head Full Of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay
Night Of The Mannequins - Stephen Graham Jones
The Deep - Nick Cutter
People Live Still In Cashtown Corners - Tony Burgess
The Only Good Indians - Stephen Graham Jones
The Fireman - Joe Hill
We Need To Do Something - Max Booth III

I can't find anything that interests me now. Y'all seem to know a lot. Can someone give me a rec?

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Answer the following three questions

1. I prefer my antagonist to be

...more monstrous

...more psychological

2. I prefer my setting to be

... more grounded in reality

... more supernatural

3. My definition of horror is

... more traditional (books marketed as "horror", etc)

... open to elaboration (books that aren't horror but may still induce feelings of dread or fear)

More psychological.

More grounded in reality.

Open to elaboration.

Out of what I read in that list, A Head Full Of Ghosts was my favorite.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I have taken all of your suggestions and made a list. I'm gonna start with Wounds and go from there. Thank you!

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Picked up Carrier Wave because that's a good deal. Also grabbed Wounds and Home Before Dark to get into y'all's recommendations.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I wanted to read the first chapter of Carrier Wave to see what it was like and it was just so good that I've decided to read it before Wounds. drat it's good so far.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Finished up Carrier Wave. What a sprawling epic that was. It instantly jumped to the #1 spot of 2021 for me. It's so sweeping while also super focused on the characters. It's a long read, but very worth it.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

You inhaled that thing!

I just read the chapter War Bastard and had to step away. Its really good.

I'm unemployed and spend time reviewing indie horror games and books. I try to finish 3-5 books a week. I'm one story into Wounds right now. I went ahead and picked up all the other suggestions.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Just start doing it on Twitter, Steam, Goodreads, etc. and hope you pick up some kind of following. There's not enough money in it to make a living. I guess if you monetized your tweets or ran a successful website that you could push ads on you could make some money. I was working a full-time job last month before I lost it, and now I read books, play games, work on my home renovation, and chill. I'll find another job eventually. Until then, good books.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Since you’re consuming so much horror right now, any deep cut recommendations?

Book-wise I'm reading Wounds as suggested by the thread (Skullpocket is a pretty dope dark fairytale of sorts). I also really enjoyed Obscura by Joe Hart. Game-wise go check out recently released Cruelty Squad, Lakeview Cabin 1&2, Search Party, Murder House, or Buddy Simulator 1984. You can always PM for a weird horror game recommendation, as they generally take less time to form an opinion on than reading a full novel or short story collection.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I had that same problem where I was like, "it's only at 40% done, good. Lots of book left." *What seemed like 10 minutes later* "86% what the gently caress?"

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Ah yeah I got Horrorstör from a Humble Bundle way back and read it on my Kindle. I really enjoyed it and would like a sequel. I noticed no issues on my Kindle version. I liked the weird catalogue stuff.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Kinda bottomed out on Wounds after The Visible Filth. I figure I'll start on Night Film.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I'll read Butchers Table but drat The Visible Filth is probably the worst Ballingrud by a mile. Story threads left hanging all over the place while he fawns over pseudo-religious bullshit and gore. It feels incomplete and unsatisfying. It's like 3 stories mashed together that barely made sense already. The other stories are so good though!

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I pre-ordered Todd Keisling's Scanlines because Perpetual Motion Machine publishing hasn't done me wrong, and I get a signed bookplate.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I've been slow on reading lately because of an increased workload (got my own weekly feature!), but I've been working through Night Film and it's really very good. Takes a minute to get into the writer's headspace but once you do it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I am currently reading the Five Nights at Freddy's trilogy for work. These books fuckin suck.