Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

moths posted:

Saying that Lovecraft "was more racist than his time" really undersells how racist his time actually was.

Here's a question: I have a clear memory of reading a story about 20 years ago. Someone had an original print of The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, and in the story it was the film itself that supernaturally made people go crazy and riot (instead of popular anti-German sentiment that caused the actual unrest.) Does anyone know what that's from? It may have been a Year's Best New Horror anthology but I can't figure out which one.

Ok, sorry to pull this quote up that is kind of old, but I have also read this story. Crap! What was it from? For some reason I am thinking maybe the Hellraiser universe inspired anthology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

ravenkult posted:

I read HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and it wasn't that good. Kinda like a soulless Stephen King, the whole book is basically mapped after Pet Sematary but generally didn't succeed in pulling me in. Some kinda gross parts and slurs also put me off a bit.

Sorry Iím a few pages behind, but I just finished Hex as well and found it kind of offputting and tonally strange. Also the sentence ďshe was a nice girl, didnít wear make upĒ pissed me off to probably an unreasonable degree.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

ravenkult posted:

Limited edition hardcovers are the new author mill/vanity publishing. You get a small press author nobody reads and do a limited edition of 200 copies, sell 20 to their friends and family and you already broke even, the rest is profit.

I know itís not a new idea, but itís an idea thatís definitely back in style. My husband was in talks to get published with a small press, but that got axed because the publisher had some success with a limited edition hardcover recently and they want to keep that train going. Iím not salty or anything, I just think itís an interesting phenomenon because thereís no way that I personally would shell out for a hardcover by an unknown these days.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Ornamented Death posted:

Your example would seem to disprove ravenkult's point. Had the system worked as presented, the publisher would have done your husband's book as a LE and had him pressuring everyone you know to buy a copy.

Margins at any level of publishing are razor thin. If you're breaking even after 20 copies of an edition of 200, it's being printed on toilet paper bound with Elmer's glue between two used pizza boxes.

I see what you mean, I should have added that since the publisher is switching to the hardbound LE model, the types of books they are publishing is changing as well, which is why my husbandís book is getting passed on to someone else.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Ornamented Death posted:

In more interesting news, The Cipher is finally getting a paperback rerelease in September.

Yay! Thatís been on my list for some time. I wonder why September though? That is so far away.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

I do a ton of my reading in the bath tub, so Iím firmly a paperback person for that reason alone. Also wall to wall full bookshelves is my aesthetic :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

I just picked up NALM and Wounds today. Iím excited to go on this journey with you all. Iíve always loved short horror story collections, and Iím so excited to dig in, like I know itís gonna be good :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

nate fisher posted:

I read The Troop by Cutter. I thought it had a strong start, but i didnít like it once if I finished. Not bad, just pretty average. I remember finding the whole thing just ridiculous. So I still havenít read anything else from him after that disappointment (Little Heaven does interest me some).

That said I might be in the minority (I also find Paul Tremblay overrated). I would say go read The Ruins by Scott Smith instead.

The Ruins is really loving good and grody. In other news, I just finished North American Lake Monsters. It was very masculine, but also beautiful without the language being overbearing or pretentious. And I loved that the stories leave so much to your imagination. Iím a little bit wary of how the tv adaptation is going to turn out, considering how much of what makes the stories such a gut punch takes place inside the characters heads, but we shall see.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

i like JRJ but the original request was for literary horror and he's pulpy as the day is long

been a while since he's published anything, now that i think about it

He has a new book coming, The Loop, this September :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

I have the crow tie-in novel (The Lazarus Heart) and itís incredibly bad but at the same time a fun read. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Conrad_Birdie posted:

READ WOUNDS READ WOUNDS

Wounds is so loving good! Iím a huge sucker for hell-related stories.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

COOL CORN posted:

Have any of y'all ever encountered a book that's too obscene or grotesque or unsettling? I just realized that's happened to me movies but never with books. Maybe it has something to do with the limits of my imagination. I'm not sure but now I want to push myself!

There are parts of American Psycho that are extremely gnarly, a ton of gorey horrific stuff was not in the movie. Glamorama also has some intense torture stuff. Itís weird, when I was younger my motto was basically the gorier the better, but in my advancing age Iím a huge wuss.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Crimpolioni posted:

I like AP better as a movie probably but AP the book is deliberately comedic and absurd too

I heard somewhere (maybe IMDb?) that glamorama probably will not be translated to a movie because the basic plot is too similar to Zoolander. Which is really bizarre to think about because tonally they are VERY different.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

ravenkult posted:

Some horror writer that just put a book out recently. Was DMing women (reviewers, other writers) and telling them how horny he is. Then he made some fake screenshots and sent them to her friends and some publisher claiming she was the harasser, but they were laughable and everyone told him to gently caress off. Now he's nuked all his social media.

I gotta say though I'm not sure why people are pulling books from his wife's company. I guess they feel that he might be involved with the operation? Still it's not her fault her huusband's a creep.

I heard a rumor that is was her making the doctored screenshots.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

FastestGunAlive posted:

Adding Lost Signals to my list just having learned about it from last page. That, plus the collection To Rouse Leviathan, will probably be my reads for October.

I just received Lost Signals in the mail today! Iím excited to read it, but good lord the interior is atrocious and overdone.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Ok I clearly need to read A Headful of Ghosts again because I remember thinking the ending was corny and overall not enjoying it very much.
Also reviews are so incredibly helpful for authors and will most likely make their day :3:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Bonaventure posted:

my library system doesn't have NALM so i got Wounds instead

lmao, skullpocket

i haven't enjoyed a piece of fiction so much in at least 25 years

I thought I would hate skullpocket because it seemed kind of twee at first, but now itís one of my favorite short stories!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

I really enjoy Matheson the youngerís short stories. Digestible little morsels of weird ideas.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Silver John posted:

Is there a good place to get skullcrack? Everywhere Iím looking itís at least a couple hundred bucks

Great news! Itís coming back this fall :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Big Mad Drongo posted:

https://twitter.com/UweBollocks/status/1435234604940734465

Anyone know this book? I've been trying to get a vibe on it without too many spoilers, and it seems like it may be my cup of tea (an epistolary novel about a two LBGTQ+ women in an early 2000s chatroom that explores the nature of relationships and features body horror) but the negative reviews seem to harp on the gore being over-the-top and the relationship shallow. Reading about a relationship going sour in a very, very bad way sounds interesting, but I generally hate books where people are tortured for the hell of it while the grounded parts of the narrative exist as background noise.

I read it and it is massively overhyped and I probably would have enjoyed it more in a collection of short stories. On the other hand it is a pretty quick read. The gore is indeed over the top and it came off as cheesey to me.