Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I'm reading Blackwater by Michael McDowell and loving it. I'm about 1/4 of the way through and really enjoying how it's less of a horror novel and more of a family saga with spooky vibes. The real horror is Mary-Love's control of her family and the struggle between her and Elinor is mostly domestic instead of supernatural.

We love Blackwater and McDowell in this thread!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Kestral posted:

It's tricky to get good self-reflective descriptions out of teens sometimes, but my impression is that the appeal is fast-paced body horror with a military aesthetic. Zombie fiction would probably work too, although I can't think of much in that vein that's decent.

I found this series only “Eh, serviceable” but a teen video game fan might really dig em- The “Ex” series by Peter Clines. It’s superheroes vs zombies in the post apocalypse. Honestly kinda video game-ish in structure. There’s teams, and missions, and military action involved. There’s literally like a “boss” the heroes have to fight at the end of every new book.

World War Z if he hasn’t read that.

Annihilation if you want to throw him a curveball.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Just finished Blackwater and ahhhhhhhhhhh. I think I could have read 800 more pages about the Caskeys.

That’s the general consensus yeah

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
You okay?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Ariza posted:

Sorry, yeah I'm ok! Sunglasses emote was meant to be silly, bad taste. Just trying to deal with another friend shuffling off and I realized horror is how I best understand horrible things.

I’m really sorry at the loss of your friend. My sympathies are with you, and I also understand relating to bad things happening through horror. You’re not alone. We’re a bunch of weirdos here with ya.
For actual recommendations I would suggest a collection of Thomas Ligotti’s short stories. A lot aren’t explicitly about self-harm but there’s a sad, existential dread to many of them.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Gilded Needles is definitely a bit of a slow burn - McDowell’s writing is characteristically wonderful so it’s still a delight to read - but about 2/3 of the way through the book there is a moment of explosive violence that comes out of no where. I had to read the passage a couple times because it’s just totally unexpected and vile and mean and darkly funny, just like some of those moments of violence in Blackwater. And now I’m all revved up for the final section of this book.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m currently reading the Valancourt Book of World Horror Stories Vol. 1. It’s really great so far. All the stories I’ve read have been of a better-than-average quality, some truly great. I believe all the authors represented in the volume are being translated into English for the first time, which is really cool, but also frustrating when I discover a writer whose work resonates with me but I have no other way to read more of their work unless I learn a new language.

But yeah, big recommend this anthology. I ordered like five other books from Valancourt last week to prep for the spooky season. Can’t wait.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Been reading so many horror novels from Valancourt Press in celebration of the spooky month…currently onto the main event, Michael McDowell’s “Cold Moon Over Babylon.” About one hundred pages in and it is, characteristically, spectacular. It is simply a joy to read McDowell’s prose. He was so gifted.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Folks I just got to THAT THING happening a little over halfway into Cold Moon that is just loving wild.

God bless Michael McDowell. Nobody did it better. I was hootin and hollering and pumping my fist and couldn’t believe what I was reading!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Alright now that I’ve finished it I think Cold Moon Over Babylon may be my favorite McDowell. What a perfect little mean story

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Paddyo posted:

I felt so bad for the blueberry farmers. What a lovely loving lot in life.

Yeah it’s so loving mean McDowell was brutal

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Franchescanado posted:

Just finished reading At The Mountains of Madness. Another Lovecraft story that I think is only okay. His insistence on "academic" prose and taxonomy and hypothetical ideas about ancient civilizations in favor of actual story got pretty grating, but I did like the overall tone of an arctic exploration gone wrong.

Taking a break from old public domain stories to now read Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. I know it's not out-right horror, and has a younger audience in mind, but it begins with murders and ghosts, and so far it's one of the better Gaiman books I've read. He's pretty hit-or-miss with me, but I like this one so far.

I'm probably gonna read a McDowell book next. I started Blackwater a while ago, but didn't have time to stick with it past the first book. All the recent praise in this thread has me interested again. Maybe The Elementals instead of Blackwater? Or should I read Cold Moon Over Babylon instead?

Elementals was my first McDowell, and it’s a great, quick, spooky read and a perfect intro to McDowell’s style.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
This might be silly but I’m having trouble finding a reasonably priced copy of Between Two Fires rn and it’s not in the NYPL library system (wtf)… does anyone in this thread want to sell me their copy, or have an extra they can send my way? All the talk in this thread makes me want to read it really badly!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Xiahou Dun posted:

O, you don't have PM's. I was wondering why you never messaged me.

Free copy of Between two Fires, all yours, just gotta figure out logistics of getting it to you.

It's got a knight fighting some sick rear end hell monsters that'd look pretty sweet airbrushed on a van, you'll love it.

Yeah sorry I meant to tell you that but I’ve also been training for a new job this week so I’m all over da place. Hey that’s really awesome of you! Let me get back to you this evening. I’ll give ya an email address and we can figure it out.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have a silly cut-out e-mail that I use for this stuff already : [username]sa@gmail

Without brackets, obviously, just my username run together plus SA. I'll probably respond with my actual e-mail in case you wonder why you get something from Extremelygerman von Krauterton.

You’re wonderful! I’ll email tonight!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Thank you Xiahao Dun for sending me a copy of Between Two Fires!!! I cannot wait to read it!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Imo Blackwater is plenty horrific and gothic and revolting and don’t let it also being a soap opera dissuade you from reading. One of the best written novels, start to finish, that I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. Incredible character writing, and so much of it still lingers in my mind a year+ later

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Neat! I’ll probably check that out!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Are there any Michael McDowell audiobooks? Blackwater seems like it’d be awesome on a long road trip. Soap opera Southern gothic family epic?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wounds seems like a great pick too

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Without giving much away: No.

The titular story is. The rest is Clive Barker-esque wild romps through hell.

Butcher’s Table is one of the greatest horror stories I’ve ever read.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Brian Evenson’s short story collections

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Finished up Ballingrud’s The Strange this morning. Thread is right, definitely more horror-adjacent than straight horror, tho there’s definitely some cosmic horror-esque implications towards the end that make my brain wrinkle.

But otherwise a beautiful, sad, incredibly written little book. Cannot recommend it enough. Just don’t go in expecting normal horror Ballingrud, but if you love the quality of his prose and writing and the breadth of his imagination I cannot see how this would disappoint at all.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Interested in reading something else from him. Camp Damascus had some beautiful prose in it but I found the resolution of the story (mostly the second half of the book) a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Blackwater is a masterpiece