Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

I was just trawling through the thread looking for recommendations, (thanks!) and I noticed folks mention Blood Meridian a few times. I'll repeat that recommendation, and suggest that if you like Cormac McCarthy's style, you should look at Child of God. I guess it's Appalachian gothic? I'd be interested in other recommendations in that incredibly specific sub-genre if anybody's come across them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyone in here read Caitlin R Kiernan? Because I finished the Drowning Girl yesterday and it's not horror, but it doesn't really fit into any other thread here. It's haunting me. The imagery and mood of it was just devastating and I keep thinking about it.

Also I don't know if I've ever seen an author insert not one but two full short stories into a work before and they're seamless.

I thought The Red Tree was great, you might want to check that out, too

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

I know that I don't really contribute much to this thread but I would also love a Ligotti gang tag, pretty please.

By way of offering some content, I've been reading Paul Tremblay's Growing Things, and the stories I've read so far are just great.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I tried reading Growing Things right after it came out and bounced off of it. I did like the titular story, but the next few I tried didn't really grab me, and I actually don't really remember them at all, other than the one with people trying to get away after robbing a pawn shop and having... bad things happen to them.

I've been reading completely out of order so for all I know the second through fifth one are awful, but if you do still have access to the book, I highly recommend "Don't Feed the Ducks". The author what I think is a fair job telling the story from the viewpoint of a small child, but what I found so interesting and compelling about that was that you never actually find out what exactly is going wrong, and so as a reader I was forced instead to focus on feelings of dread and uncertainty and powerlessness.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Speaking of women authors, any Poppy Z Brite recos?

I read Wormwood a couple years after it came out and I liked it enough to read Lost Souls, which I did not like. That's been maybe 25 years ago now and I was an awful teen so take that with as much salt as you think appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Caitlin Kiernan? Enjoyed their short story featured in the “The Weird” anthology, but it was quite short. Very Elder Gods-y, though.

I think she's extremely hit or miss. She's got work like The Red Tree or The Drowning Girl which are amazing, but she's also got some Lovecraft themed shlock like Agents of Dreamland which I found unreadable.