Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

The Immaculate Void was so bad it pretty much put me off reading more Hodge, even though I remember liking his first story collection. He has some nice ideas but he has major difficulty in writing characters. Not uncommon in horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Yeah, the concepts are interesting but the characters don't do much to explore or enhance their impact...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

The best Barker book is the first 100 pages of Weaveworld imo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I regret buying Growing Things. Maybe it's interesting if you don't read much horror or something...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Just read Agents of Dreamland and I thought it was pretty intriguing without being satisfying. The content and ambience is just right in places, but some quirks of the writing irritated me, like the Signalman lighting a cig and pouring a J&B every paragraph in his chapters. I'd probably forgive it in a novel.

Overall I was less interested in the incident with Drew Standish and more interested in the agents themselves. The little details and hints about their organisations made me want to read more.

On that note, what are the good novels in the sort of subgenre of paranormal operatives? I read a couple of the Charles Stross Laundry books a long time ago and I did enjoy them, although the tone was more towards comedy and pastiche than horror.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Wounds should satisfy the schlock.

At least, that's why I like it better than NALM

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I really want more stuff like the Butcher's Table. Seems like a ripe time period and setting for this kind of horror. On Stranger Tides was pretty good but obviously not quite the same.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

The Reddening infuriated me because it's such a great concept let down by Neville's usual inability to finish a book in a satisfying way or pay off any of the setup he does in the opening.

I got The Weird anthology and read the Other Side of the Mountain recently and that had a good ending at least. Love that stuff.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Time for another roundup of pulpy horror genre trash I read recently

The Gates and Legion by Iain Rob Wright: Enjoyed Animal Kingdom so gave Wright's 'end of the world/demon invasion' series a shot. The first book (The Gates) was alright but the second book was just the same events from the first book from other characters' perspectives with a tiny bit of advancement at the end. That really sapped my motivation to continue on so I drifted off after book 2.

Is there a good (or at least fun) example of this genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I only got a 5th of the way through it. Didn't get on with the prose or the format, unfortunately.