Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

sephiRoth IRA posted:

John Dies at the End was dumb. It had moments of humor but ended up being like one long Family Guy bit. The timeline jumps were jarring and the prose was so-so at the best of times. The kayfaybe was really annoying too- I cannot believe this generated a movie and three books.

Hey now, it also lead to Jason Pargin pretending to be a Chinese-American man for like ten years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I have read all of one Brian Evenson short story collection and half of another, and both had similar stories about a guy in a deeply unhappy relationship with a quietly controlling GF he can't leave and I am wondering who hurt Brian Evenson

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Muninn posted:

I agree, Grau is at his best when he is writing cosmic horror without invoking the Cthulhu mythos: "The Screamer", "Return of the Prodigy", even "Twinkle, Twinkle". "The Mission" is a very good story that could have been a great story if it went in a different direction. Incidentally, "The Nameless Dark" is the only book I've reviewed on Amazon since Grau reached to me on Goodreads asking if I would.

I am almost finished with Michael Wehunt's "Greener Pastures" and it is mostly excellent. "Onanon" and "Deducted From Your Share in Paradise" are unsettling stories that affected me in a similar way to Ballingrud's NALM. "October Film Haunt: Under the House" made me feel actual dread in a way that written fiction rarely does. Maybe because I've been binging found footage horror movies this last month--which I find especially frightening--and the approach is similar.

The titular story for Greener Pastures is the scariest story I've ever read. I don't know why it creeps me out on the level it does, but it really works on me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ham Cheeks posted:

Robert Aickman has such unique writing, I recently started reading his stuff and it's just so....weird. Are there any other writers like him?

There's no one quite like Aickman but I'd recommend M. R. James. His stories aren't as strange as Aickman's, but they feel like they come from a similar place, at least to me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ariza posted:

Sorry, yeah I'm ok! Sunglasses emote was meant to be silly, bad taste. Just trying to deal with another friend shuffling off and I realized horror is how I best understand horrible things.

Geez that's rough. Hope the recommendations help, in whatever way they can.