Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving
And something has got to give

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I just finished Last Days by Adam Nevill and I can't believe I'm gonna read another book about a cult that cuts parts of their bodies off to get closer to god.

If you want to go for the trifecta, Katherine Dunn's Geek Love fits on your Very Specific Reading List, although it's not quite horror (just magical realism with body-horror themes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Ulio posted:

I will check out Horrorstor, the setting sounds really unique and from the looks of it there is some satirical stuff in it as well.

Horrorstor is a decent read, but the satire is pretty toothless. The setting is diegetically an American Ikea knockoff, and there are several explicit references to how it's a lovely knockoff and Ikea is better, presumably as lawsuit shielding.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i taught a couple of robert aickman stories in class this week and one of my students said it was "the weirdest poo poo ive ever read in college and i didnt understand it at all"

you're welcome, son, and neither do i

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction to Aickman. Dark Entries owned and I want to read more of his stuff, but so many of the stories in there ranged from "requires thought" to "totally opaque (but still effective)."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I like James a lot, but if you didn't particularly dig what you read, I'm not sure I'd recommend you search more out. His stories are very consistent in tone, in my experience -- not repetitive, but similar enough to one another that if the big hits didn't click with you, the others won't either.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Just read I'm Thinking of Ending Things in the course of two sittings tonight. Pretty good! It's clearly just a light thriller, but I think it's very well-crafted for what it does. I'm particularly impressed by the narrative voice; it does an excellent job foreshadowing the twist, which I picked up on fairly early on, just with the degree to which the narrator is a cipher vs. Jake being described in agonizing detail. The narrator is conspicuously nameless, has only sketchily-described "friends" and "work," and has next to no inner life or biographical details until the boundaries begin breaking down. She's a pitch-perfect fantasy girlfriend for a guy like Jake: smart enough to follow his conversations and find his work fascinating, but not smart enough to threaten him or have her own ideas that might contradict his. Like I think someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the detail where she needs him to gloss "smart" vocabulary words for him is spot-on, but so is the extended lab description sequences, where she just loves listening to his descriptions of his work and how smart he is by proxy. She's such a classic Manic Pixie Dream Girl, written with full awareness of how empty those characters are.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

nankeen posted:

i hoard physical books like a dragon, but also give them generously to friends and family, neither of which is quite as ceremonial with e-books

I believe this is technically classified as hobbit behavior

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Read most of North American Lake Monsters on a plane yesterday. Boy, this is well-crafted stuff, but I'm definitely not "enjoying" it -- it actually made me reflect on how so much horror fiction makes me sad and uncomfortable instead of afraid, and NALM is mashing that button with a vengeance. Good stuff, but tough stuff.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I had to stop reading and take a walk after Wild Acre. gently caress that's a good story.

What I found really interesting about it is that the werewolf is almost superfluous; it adds a layer of unreality, but a sufficiently weird industrial accident could probably take its place. It's a horror story about the aftermath of a traditional horror story, and that's kind of genius.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

hallelujah posted:

he also loves vampires and child neglect stories (tragic past) so sunbleached should be right up his alley

This is immaculate story-reader synergy and I hope it pays off

Honestly, this makes me want to recommend NALM to my dad, except his horror taste runs to the schlocky, so I think most of it wouldn't land. Maybe it just makes me wish I had a dad with better taste?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Big Goosebumps energy

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I would pay very good money for a Ligotti commentary track for any Muppet movie/Muppet Show episode.

The Mummenschanz episode of the Muppet Show is the correct subject for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, the formatting on Horrorstor is fun, although it's not extensive -- you get the catalog form factor, one catalog blurb per chapter, and a few in-universe ads, but most of it is just a novel. I was a little disappointed by that, but overall it's a decent book, if a bit light and basic.