Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The Night Stockers by Kristopher Triana is basically Assault On Precinct 13 but set in a Kroger. And it is way funnier than it has any right to be. The lovingly and bluntly inserted metal references that really speak to the author being a metalhead of a certain age. Things like chapters called "Butchered at Birth" or a laundry list of the bands on the shirts our Satanic grocery store clerk antagonists are wearing.

I'm just now really getting into it but it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
So I guess I could talk about Necroscope here instead of the What Did You Just Finish thread. I finished the first one today and started the second and I said to myself "These are fun. How many of them are there?"

This is absurd. How many of these do I actually read? Should I stick to the Necroscope series itself or should I just give up on that at some point too?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Brian Lumley loving loves invincible creatures trapped underground as a punishment for being naughty.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

And yes, Lumley likes immuring as a punishment for immortal regenerating creatures. Let's face it, though, it's about the only way to deal with a creature like that if you want it put in a position where you don't want it dead.

I was thinking about this earlier. I have a copy of The House of Cthulhu kicking around here somewhere because my friend died while I was borrowing it from him. I'm pretty sure Cthulhu buries an intruder into Rlyeh in a landslide so he can kill him without getting out of bed.

I'm starting to really like this rogues gallery of dead antagonists commenting on the ongoing events of the story, too. I was gonna miss Thibor a lot.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

$4? Yeah I'll preorder that. I found a copy of Between Two Fires too.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

These vary from comedy to horror and several places in between. I've read them before but I am so ready.

Edited because I noticed the huge bag of weed in the picture.

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 12, 2022

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

repost the nugs

It's the corner of this, which I received as a tip.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I started Wounds today and there's a lot more... I don't wanna call it humor. Its more light-hearted than I was expecting.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

So the best King novel is Insomnia, right?

And I like THGWSWLS but I think I can also agree with the above sentiment that it would've worked better as a short story.

Edit: Should be wrapped up The Man In The High Castle today which means I can start tearing into Necroscope 4. Still working on Wounds but I'm splitting it up a bit.

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 19, 2022

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

It's my own personal horror hot take.

And yes his short stories are universally better than his novels.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I've been on a Stephen King resurgence lately. Going through, chronologically, books I haven't read. Just finished Road Work, which is so far the worst of the Bachman books, but is still, like, 3 out of 5 stars. I just got in the classic Movie-Tie In 1983 paperback for Cujo, because I couldn't find the hand-painted cover of the foaming dog mouth cover in paperback from the first edition.

I've read 20 of his books, he's my most-read author by about a dozen books, and there's still 60 books of his I haven't read.

I meant 'Why would you rank it as his best', not "why such an insane take".

King's one of those guys where even his universally despised books has fans that rank it as #1, so I don't begrudge hot takes. My reason for getting back into reading him was because I was curious about how bad Dreamcatcher could be as a novel, but decided I'd just keep reading him chronologically and read actual good books by him.

My top 5, in no order, is something like

The Dead Zone
'Salem's Lot
The Long Walk
Firestarter
Misery

but I would feel comfortable saying The Shining, Night Shift, Skeleton Crew or the original The Stand for any of those besides The Dead Zone, Misery and probably Salem's Lot.

I'm really a sucker for a story where we have a world invisible to most people running parallel to the physical world that our protagonists interact with. (See: Necroscope) Insomnia being told from the point of view of a man of pretty advanced age, where we have this old man kind of doddering his way through this nightmare world poo poo on no sleep just hits me the right way to be terrifying I guess.

My top five would probably be pretty similar to yours for the most part though. Dead Zone, Misery, and Salem's Lot are all rad.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I also grabbed Off Season, which is my first Jack Ketchum book.

Make sure you check out the rest of the series if you like that. I've been chipping away at a huge backlog of Ketchum books for a minute.

Also read Header if you like that.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

So once I wrap up Necroscope 4 I'm gonna read some Titus Crow. Should I do The Compleat Crow before The Burrowers Beneath?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I will never read a good book.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

escape artist posted:

Orphans of Bliss, an anthology of addiction horror came out recently.

It's the third in the series. The first was not great. The second was fantastic. So this final one should be good if the pattern sticks. Any other fellow addicts that like to read about addiction horror?

I am an addict and I cannot imagine something that would please me less to read.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Haven't read NALM, Wounds is kinda eh. I haven't finished it yet.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I'm also curious if splatterpunk or extreme horror would fly in this thread if I should just start a thread for it.

Edit: Oh sick.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I spent way too long trying to find a copy of the movie of Header and I finally found it.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

The further you go into Necroscope the more of that you'll get.

The Tzimisce (praying I spelled that right) are based on the vampires from Necroscope. It's body horror as all hell in places.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Nah I haven't finished five. I decided I needed to give it a rest and read The Road and a couple Titus Crow books. I should be back to it soon though.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I don't really mind a lame or silly mythos story, has anyone read Tales of Cthulhu Invictus? Should I give it a look? I like the concept but I've been burned by themed mythos story compilations like that before.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Death's Head Press has a whole series of "splatter westerns" if that's your thing.

https://deathsheadpress.com/collections/splatter-westerns

I'll take all of these, thanks.

Leave me alone, I will never read a good book.

Actually trying to wrap up Lovecraft's Monsters before I start Necroscope 5 again and the story The Same Deep Waters As You about the animal psychic going to see the prisoners from the Innsmouth raid was extremely cool and good.

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 3, 2022

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I enjoy the "looking through a collection of documents" horror story because of The Call of Cthulhu.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Death's Head Press has a whole series of "splatter westerns" if that's your thing.

https://deathsheadpress.com/collections/splatter-westerns

Hey so I bought Red Station immediately after you posted this and I just picked it up. I'm about ten pages in and it's really got a lot of character. The author definitely knows how goofy western novels are written.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

The 13th Koyote is by the only author who's ever been gross enough I just quit the book. (The Night Stockers)

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Thibor is my dude.

I liked Necroscope 1-4 a lot. I'm still too distracted by Splatter Westerns to finish five.

Vlad the Impaler is stealing vampire valor.

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 16, 2022

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Are those the ones from a few pages ago? Are they only from that one website or can I find physical copies out in the world?

I should probably check to see if that website was actually the publisher and not a third party like I'm guessing in this post...

Next on the list until necroscope sequels show up is bullet train and the glassy burning floor of hell

I'm reading epubs but there's physical copies of most of them I think. I dunno if you'll find them out in the world though.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Red Station was really fun if you've ever read a western in your life.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Picked up Reincarnage and I'm about 1/4 of the way through. I was expecting something a lot more gruesome because of poo poo like the drill abortion in Harding's other books. I like it a lot so far even if it's pretty far off from how I imagined it. Lots of humor throughout and an interesting setting- a walled off group of cities with military checkpoints in case anyone breaks in and I like that in-universe we've got examples of Agent Orange being his own kinda pop culture figure with movies and video games and poo poo. Might order the Agent Orange pack from the site before the preorders for the sequel end.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I started with Red Station and didn't notice anything.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Nice, Dust is on my to-read list after Reincursion.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Not me screaming at a book because Agent Orange is gonna escape the Kill Zone.

MR DUNBAR TEAR DOWN THIS WALL

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 4, 2022

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Header 2

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Had less time to read due to moving so I'm almost done with Dust. I gotta say it kinda loses a lot of it's charm when it hits the more Lovecraftian elements. Cowboys gunfights with monsters- cool, black cube ascending to heaven as Cthulhu reaches down- kinda lame. I dunno.

Started the Necroscope five audio book again on my drive to and from work. Forgot about the necropedophilia.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Shaitan the Fallen

Yeah I'm still reading Necroscope 5.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Chipping through The Magpie Coffin in print and Necroscope 5 as an audio book.

Get the gently caress out of here, Harry. I need more vampire warfare.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

never heard of this and people keep describing it as hellish in the reviews, so def grabbing it, thank you

Triana wrote the only book ive ever given up on because it was too loving much. It's good poo poo.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Not quite that bad yet.

It will also physically hurt me to skip books in a series even if not directly connected. I had to track down a copy of The Pig by Edward Lee before I could read Header 2 because the events of The Pig lead to H2.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I like it less the more I think about it honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

You ever read a Lovecraft influenced novel and realize there's a specific Lovecraft story that this author got really hung up on?

Because I feel like Lumley needs to put down The Tomb after reading The Transition of Titus Crow.