Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

that's the finest ragequit ive seen on these forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

For some good depressioncore horror Cantos for the Crestfallen is a dope 31 page poem that I feel like Ligotti might have written under a pseudonym.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Started the new Brian Hodge collection. The first story is a forest creature manufacturing meth as retribution for man strip-mining the land. I'm a Hodgehog so I love it but YRMV.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

I thought "Our Temporary Supervisor" did a way better job of it :(

Respectfully disagree:

quote:

CLASSIFIED AD I

A MULTINATIONAL CORPORATION is dreaming. We are an organization of more than 100 thousand souls (full-time) and are presently seeking individuals willing to trade their personal lot for a share in our dream. Entry-level positions are now available for self-possessed persons who can see beyond the bottom line to a bottomless realm of possibilities. Our enterprise is now thriving in a tough, global marketplace and has taken on a life all its own. If you are a committed, focused individual with a hunger to be part of something far greater than yourself . . . our door is now open. Your life need not be a nightmare of failure and resentment. Join us. Outstanding benefits.

[...]

quote:

CLASSIFIED DISTRESS SIGNAL

VAST ORGANIZATION OF delirious images and impulses seeking Sustenance Input for its decaying systems. All data considered, including polluted discharges from the old Nightmare Network and after-images of degenerated EUs and ALs (Con, Noncon, or OneiriCon). Total atrophy and occlusion of all circuits imminent – next stop, the Nowhere Network. Your surplus information – shadows and semblances lying dormant in long-unaccessed files – could be used to replenish our hungry database. No image too hideous; no impulse too attenuated or corrupt. Our organization has a life of its own, but without the continuous input of cheap data we cannot compete in today’s apocalyptic marketplace. From a rotting mutation, great illusions may grow. Don’t let us go belly up while the black empty spaces of the galaxy reverberate with hellish laughter. A multi-dimensional, semi-organic discorporation is dreaming . . .

The signal repeats, steadily deteriorating, and then fades into nothingness. Long shot of the universe. There is no one behind the camera.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

It's accurate to tech giants today, right up to:

Which is the part that is no longer true today.

I feel like Our Temporary Supervisor probably has the Amazon Fulfillment Center mindset down pretty well.

I feel like the transition from that first ad to this is pretty perfect too, tho:

quote:

CLASSIFIED AD II

MAJOR SUPERCORP IN the process of expanding its properties and market-base has limited openings for Approved Labor in domestic and off-shore sites (real and virtual). We are among the biggest legitimate multi-monopolies on the world scene and our Corporate Persona is one that any AL can adopt in good conscience. Experience in sensory-deprived conditions preferred. Knowledge of outlawed dialects on the Nightmare Network a plus. Standard survival package of benefits. Prehistoric ALs okay with biologic documentation from transport agency.

I think I just personally find TNN funnier and so I like it more. They're both great stories tho.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Kwaidan the movie loving rules and I still need to read the book. But definitely watch it asap.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'm almost done with Lake Monsters and the closest similarities I can think of are Laird Barron and David Vann. Also, yeah put me in the Lake Monsters is really good camp.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

nankeen posted:

lake monsters verdict: holy poo poo

yeah, that collection ruled.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Wounds was loving great, and "The Atlas of Hell" ruuuuuled. If you liked North American Lake Monsters then definitely check it out.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Velvet Elvis posted:

I read Wounds first and loved everything about it. Now I’m worried that I’ll be disappointed by Lake Monsters.

I read Lake Monsters and really loved it, but now after Wounds I'm not sure which I like more.

Wounds is definitely more straight forward horror, kinda Barker-like. The pathos is turned down a little bit from Lake Monsters but is definitely still a constant throughout the stories, just at a lower frequency.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Tertius Oculum posted:

Going through Growing Things now, but first couple stories have been alright. A bit weak in the spookyness for me. Still going through it, but nothings really unsettled me yet.

I think I liked Wounds more.

yeah, i'm midway thru Growing Things and don't really have the motivation to keep going. it isn't bad, but after North American Lake Monsters and Wounds it just isn't good enough.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you guys really need to read crampton, the teleplay that ligotti wrote, unsolicited, for the x-files

i cant find it anywhere for less than like $200

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

While I loved Songs of a Dead Dreamer, I think Grimscribe is a mixed bag. There are individual stories I liked more than anything in SOADD (The Glamour, The Cocoons) but as a whole the collection is more plodding and same-y than the first book, and it became hard to remember where one story ended and the next began. I do want to read more of his stuff, but I need a little break (plus I want to read everything in chronological order, and most of his books are infuriatingly out of print and/or unavailable in ebook form.)

I read My Work Is Not Yet Done right after SOADD and Grimscribe and it might be my favorite thing done by him.

Also, Scrib'd has PDFs of pretty much everything Ligotti's done, including the X-Files episode screenplay.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 22, 2019

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

heís truly a gift

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok, putting together a list

Night Film by Marisha Pessl
The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin
White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
The Fisherman by John Langan
Song for the Unraveling of the World by Brian Evenson
The Toll by Cherie Priest
A Lush and Seething Hell by John Hornor Jacobs
Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe by Thomas Ligotti
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud

Youíre the Aquarium guy so Iím pretty sure youíll really dig North American Lake Monsters

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

It's not available in the US.

I had to go the extra mile and register a reddit account so I could DM a guy that has the PDF, this poo poo better be worth it. im tainted now.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Window alone was worth tracking down the entire short story collection. Thanks for the rec.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Just finished The Immeasurable Corpse of Nature and it was pretty perfect imo if youíre the kind of depressed person that can only find comfort in getting more depressed. Itís a nice little mix of your NALM / Wounds grief & trauma horror with Thomas Ligottiís cosmic pessimism (but slightly more mournful in contrast to Ligottiís coldness). I think it really excelled at dodging some of the more whiney philosophy 101 pitfalls thatís inescapable in a lot of horror lit/weird fiction thatís become popular post-True Detective season one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Enough time has passed that Iím rereading Worlds of Hurt and Iím getting just as much out of it now as I did before. Really fantastic writing.