Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

Looking for a short story collection to read through for spooky month. Loved the Weird but not necessarily looking for weird-specific. I’m not into splatter/torture type stuff. Last year I read 999: New Stories of Horror and it was very hit and miss.

Bluegrass Symphony by Lisa L. Hannett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

I'm trying to think of the name and author of a book that came highly recommended to me a while ago about a lone woman exploring in a cave slowly realising that something else might be down there with her. Any ideas?

Doctor Faustine posted:

Anyone got good recommendations for historical horror/horror-adjacent novels? I particularly like anything to do with witches and witch trials. Iíve already tried Speaks the Nightbird by McCammon and bounced off of itóthere is a good 300 page novel in there, but I thought it was pretty bloated as it stood:

John Crow's Devil by Marlon James. And from the same author in a different slightly different genre: A Brief History Of Seven Killings, which is a James Ellroy American Tabloid type book, but an exceptionally violent one and so detailed in it's violence to the point that it tips over into horror in places.

From McCammon try, The Wolf's Hour, a werewolf vs Nazis romp from the earlier pulpier splatterier part of his career.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The Luminous Dead?

Yes, that's it. Thanks.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

How about some modern horror anthology recommendations? Maybe some stuff off the beaten path, so not King or Barker (though of course both do their best work in this medium). Always looking for more.

Bluegrass Symphony by Lisa L. Hannett - horror/dark fantasy with a western setting and an all timer vampire short

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Untrustable posted:

Finished The Deep by Nick Cutter. Pretty decent deep ocean horror. Anything involving deep ocean horror is cool though. Anyone have any recs? I think the only thing I have left in my "to read" pile is Night Of The Mannequins.

Caitlin Kiernan's Houses Under The Sea (and a lot of the other stories in the collection this story lends it's name to)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 24, 2020

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Come on, are we really going to act like del Toro had anything to do with the text on the pages of his co-authored books? Those things are clearly TOM CLANCY (who wrote nothing) with GUY WHO ACTUALLY WROTE THE BOOK type deals

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Is anybody writing throwback 80's movie style horror novels? I've read Final Girls and Camp Ghoul Mountain whatever, and neither were really what I'm looking for, assuming what I'm looking for even exists.

Bunny by Mona Awad doesn't quite match what you're looking for but it's in the ballpark, sort of in the same way Heathers is adjacent to Scream

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

I thought The Troop cheated a bit by having one of the kids be a Patrick Hockstetter-esque psychopath deliberately escalating the situation with the tapeworms for kicks

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

That Kiernan collection includes Interstate Love Song which is worth price of admission alone, even if Kiernan isn't your thing

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

It's been so long since I've read it that I can't really disentangle Steven Spielberg's Duel and Matheson's original short story to say whether the story is good or not in and of itself (though Matheson did also do the screenplay), but Duel is fantastic, and if we're comparing Spielberg flicks, a better Horror/Suspense thriller than Jaws

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Gambrinus posted:

Is "Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons worth sticking with? I enjoyed The Terror (did a very good job of making me feel very cold) but finding Carrion Comfort a bit underwhelming so far. Maybe I've just had enough of vampires after ploughing through The Passage trilogy earlier this year. That could have done with a severe amount of editing.

For what it's worth, it's one of the few Simmons's books that sticks the landing.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

ravenkult posted:

It's not horror, but a generational novel I liked was Barkskins. Maybe it'll scratch some of that itch?

Seconding this. Very weak ending though which soured me on it for a while. It seemed like Proulx had no idea what to do with the characters who take the story up to the present day. But in retrospect it's incredibly strong for most of it's length, and being mostly made up of fairly self-contained episodes, the crap ending doesn't diminish the good parts that much.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Outside of horror I'd also recommend Eowyn Ivey's The Snow Child and To The Bright Edge of the World. Supernaturally inflected historical fiction with strong senses of place, the former trends kind of cosy, but the latter dips it's toes into spookier waters (and there are a couple of horror adjacent set-pieces in this that blindsided me in a similar way to many of the poo poo's going down moments from Blackwater did).

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 29, 2021

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the ending was the culmination of the ecological devastation that had been happening in the background of all the personal drama going on through the last several centuries of narrative. proulx knew exactly how to end it - with the barkskins' final descendent desperately trying to assure herself that there must still be a way for them to undo the damage they've caused, as the seas quietly continue to rise

Thematically, yes, it ties up really well, but I felt like the final set of characters and the present-dayish incarnations of the settings were much less well conveyed than everything that came before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Ariza posted:

Sorry, yeah I'm ok! Sunglasses emote was meant to be silly, bad taste. Just trying to deal with another friend shuffling off and I realized horror is how I best understand horrible things.

Legend of a Suicide by David Vann. Not strictly speaking horror, but the centerpiece novella of this short story collection is exceptionally visceral and nightmarish.